Grand Theft Auto 5 Review - People Suck

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

I appreciate the review, everywhere else I've been seeing the whole 'Its the best game of the season' theme going on here. I would rather dick around on that nice environment than focus on the story at that point. So if I come across some money by the time its on PC, I'll give it a shot and mod the hell out of it.

And now for the scheduled wave of new comers to attack the review.

Jack Ofall:

Greg Tito:

maniacfox:
I think you are missing the point, the original GTA was purely that. A scumbag criminal who would do anything for $$$, so in that sense, in my mind anyway, it is getting back to the original ethos of the game. As much as I like a good story I found the more cut scenes I had to sit through in GTA IV, the less I cared about the story. It's about balance, so I will be curious to see how this game pans out.

First off, GTA3 started with the main character's betrayal and for some reason that gives me something to hold on to for a motivation. Also, we're in a much different world than in 2000, and several things have changed to make me judge GTAV differently. I plan on writing more on this game in an editorial which will hopefully clear up a lot of questions.

Greg

But for now, you're smarmy, attention seeking head managed to knock metacritic's average score down just to get notice. Because to be frank, I never heard of you before this s**t review.

And that matters because?

It's just a number and an opinion, chill out^^.

GTA 4 suffered from awful and boring plot, missions and characters so it's a valid criticism.

Don't get me started on the whole Metacritic aspect. Every other review site has their links up there too.

Adultratedhydra:
Oh dear. A Non perfect score for a generally mediocre series. This is going to get more hate than the legions who pop out whenever Cod and Halo arent treated as the citizen kanes of our generation.

I don't get this sort of comment at all. Call of Duty and Halo are both excellent video games. I play EVE online and driving simulators but I still enjoy both titles immensely.

The protagonists are murderous assholes, but are they ENTERTAINING murderous assholes? I mean, I'd play a game where I was essentially a less-pale version of the Joker, but I don't think I'd enjoy playing as, for instance, a Klansman. So my question is, which side do GTA V's assholes fall into?

Don't listen to this people, this is the worst review I've ever read.
He says the characters aren't likable and have no motives, except if they would've actually played the game it would have been made clear that all the characters have a motive. For example, Franklin is desperately trying to get out of the hood life and make honest money.

Also, I love it how you don't praise the games large map, beautiful scenery, large amount of customization, the amount of time and money it has taken to create, etc. but instead you complain about too much violence in a grand theft auto game.

TL;DR: Review sucks. Poorly written, awful points.

odolwa99:
How do you expect to tell a story about a good man when, at any given moment, the player has driven down a sidewalk in an oil tanker, ploughing through pedestrians and hurling molotovs at grannies on the other side of the street...?

Exactly, I'm happy to hear that the protagonists are more like the kind of people I play GTA as.
Playing an "ex" criminal with a tortured conscience makes it kind of hard to roleplay those moments where you just feel like causing chaos in that huge world.

If the characters being psychotic assholes is the only "complaint" about the game, I'm really looking forward to it.

The reviews complains about the game being immature and having characters that do despicable things. The fact that this is part of the franchise and the core of GTA is about making fun of society and having characters that can go around kill civilians makes those point completely wrong in context with the game.

Jack Ofall:

Adultratedhydra:
Oh dear. A Non perfect score for a generally mediocre series. This is going to get more hate than the legions who pop out whenever Cod and Halo arent treated as the citizen kanes of our generation.

I hate both of those series. And it's F all to do with you what other's say about the review. nonce.

You registered just to insult the reviewer and anyone else who disagrees with you. Wonderful.

There's actually a quote for the Telegraph UK (Which, apparently, reviews video games...) that I really like, having to do with the moral wretchedness of the characters.

The Telegraph:
And Trevor? Trevor may well be you. Trevor is the Grand Theft Auto player that causes carnage and squelches pedestrians just to achieve a five-star wanted rating and watch the following mayhem unfold. He is the twisted, ugly reflection of all the nasty stuff that GTA lets you do but rarely explicitly encourages. Rockstar wants you to look at his face and feel uncomfortable. And it works.

The characters are evil, and why shouldn't they be? A good portion of GTA and SR players have fun by doing things like that - getting into a garbage truck and plowing into pedestrians, throwing shock bombs at grannies, and just generally going berserk. When you have a character whose in it for 'justice' or who is trying to do the right thing, actions like this can be a serious disconnect.

I can't understand why you would praise everything about the game and then knock the review score down below many other games which are much worse based on 1 criticism.
I find it stupid that you think the characters are scumbags, the same characters who are killing people, robbing banks and evading the police to make a quick buck and you're saying that their morals make them unlikable? If you brought forward any evidence that this made the game worse I could believe you but it seems that you are nitpicking at stupid things in an illogical way just to try and get more views on your review.

I find it amusing that people like to jump on a game reviewer because he has an opinion on something that A: Isn't the same as everyone else, and B: Is for something that people haven't even played either. How do you all know that your opinion won't be the same as Greg's? How about you play the actual game before you just dismiss the guy's review for being wrong and a "troll wannabee that wants to get himself noticed on metacritic"?

Crazy Zaul:
3.5 WTF, even Polygon gave it a 9.5. I'm gonna have to actually read it now.

Wow, Polygon must have really loved GTA V if they gave it 9.5 out of 5 stars.

I think I see what bothered Greg, and it makes a lot of sense if he enjoyed the story less because of it.

How are we meant to care at all about anything that happens to these characters when they are, at their core, a bunch of sociopaths doing it out of no more motivation than money? Even Niko, who I found an intolerable protagonist had some motivations, though it was always a bit Count of Monte Cristo.

Stories, whether film, book, or video game, require us to have at least some care about what happens to the characters. I'm not quite sure about anyone else, but if I find a character and their actions utterly reprehensible, then I don't much care what happens for them, and a vital element is lost from the story.

That doesn't mean GTA V is a bad game, by any stretch, even with the horrors of Yoga and Bike Riding, it still looks and sounds like an amazing game, I'm looking forward to making my own judgements whenever it comes to PC/Whenever I cave and get it on Xbox, and hey, maybe I'll find something I like about the characters. Judging by all the trailers I've seen, I doubt it, but hey, what are they going to do? Add John Marston to the game?

There's always GTA Online anyway, which I imagine will eat up a lot of my time. Multiplayer with all the features of the singleplayer open world is what I've wanted Rockstar to do for the longest time.

Greg Tito:

Calibanbutcher:
Just one thing I forgot to add: So "killing not being fun but actually unpleasant" is NOT pushing the boundaries of video-games?

Are you saying that we should STRIVE for mindless run-and-gun violence in video-games instead of an immersive experience with a narrative that actually gives killing some wheight?

The game doesn't give killing any weight, unfortunately. I wish it did. I wish there was any remorse displayed by the characters. Instead you get mindless screaming and lame quips.

You mean like every GTA with a talking protagonist? Tommy, CJ, Niko, Johnny, and Luis all made remarks about killing people and it wasn't "Oh I'm so sorry for doing this I didn't mean it"

It honestly comes off as a publicity review to garner more page views to the site. I've been a long time fan of the escapist and I'm still going to come to the site because I'm not going to let one review deter me away. But to spout about all of it's technical achievements on a PRODUCT which is the point of a review for any good/service but because you don't agree with a character's morals you slap it down a notch.

Just seems very petty and intentional for an outcry.

yourbeliefs:
I find it amusing that people like to jump on a game reviewer because he has an opinion on something that A: Isn't the same as everyone else, and B: Is for something that people haven't even played either. How do you all know that your opinion won't be the same as Greg's? How about you play the actual game before you just dismiss the guy's review for being wrong and a "troll wannabee that wants to get himself noticed on metacritic"?

Amazon and other retailers have been shipping the game early. You'll find many of us have infact played.

Ecliptica Wolf:

Adultratedhydra:

I never said they were bad series. I have no opinion of Anything past Halo Reach and i choose to not acknowledge anything past Cod 5. But whenever someone does less than slobber all over them legions of jilted fans come out and call "OH YOUR JUST BEING EDGY".

You choose not to acknowledge it? Why? That whole phrase insinuates that you're being pompous about video games haha. I'm sorry but it really does lol...

Its as simple as "I dont have anything nice to say about them so i say nothing." Hence i have no opinion of the games since i dont play them. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Besides, no opinion is better than "COD/HALO IS GOOD" "NO ITS NOT" arguments all over the place

TopazFusion:

lacktheknack:
If someone unironically brings up the DA2 review, I will headslam them until they understand the concept of "Not Much Is Objective In Game Reviewing God Dammit".

I think you better commence that head-slamming. =P

YEP!

Super Not Cosmo:
Well, I guess the amazing quality of Dragon Age 2 has spoiled all other video games for you.

<grabs head>

NOT!

[slam]

MUCH!

[slam]

IS OBJECTIVE!

[slam]

IN GAME REVIEWING!

[slam]

GOD!

[slam]

DAMMIT!

[slam slam]

<releases head>

[pant pant] ... I feel better. Thanks.

So...no puckish rogues here?

Honestly, that kinda sounds interesting. To be forced into the role of characters who are utterly evil and have no reason for being so other than just being terrible people.

But I wasn't planning on getting it at launch, and that doesn't change my decision. Still, it'll be interesting to see what people make of it if the characters really are as morally bankrupt as you say.

Adultratedhydra:

Its as simple as "I dont have anything nice to say about them so i say nothing." Hence i have no opinion of the games since i dont play them. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Fair enough, but stating that you don't acknowledge them is completely different to what you just said. That would be like me saying I don't acknowledge Stalin because I have nothing nice to say about him. It just doesn't work...

"It's certainly fun to be the bad guy sometimes, but only buy Grand Theft Auto V if you're prepared to play as characters with no justifiable motivation for doing awful things to people."

As if people don't play those already when they start running pedestrians down. I would say the protagonists finally match the players in this case. I want to cause mayhem, trevor and michael want to cause mayhem. I like driving, so does franklin. And none of them are concerned for the well being of pedestrians. Like it fucking should be.

And yes, protagonists matching player attitudes matters. I bonded with my saints row 2 guy because he would sing along to songs like I do. What were you expecting, the boondock saints?

I can understand where the reviewer is coming from in the review. I just hope when I play it the good will out shine the flaws for me. Also, a heads up to anyone getting this for the 360, I read at IGN, that Rockstar has advised not to install the 'play' disc apparently.

Ecliptica Wolf:

Adultratedhydra:

Fair enough, but stating that you don't acknowledge them is completely different to what you just said. That would be like me saying I don't acknowledge Stalin because I have nothing nice to say about him. It just doesn't work...

I meant to say the same thing for both and have no idea why "Dont acknowledge" came out rather than no opinion. I blame it on the fact that Its 11:30 and i got home from work half hour ago. Need to Give the coffee time to kick in so the thoughts are coherent.

In some ways, it sounds like the characters of GTA have finally caught up with the way the game is most frequently played.

That's not a criticism of the review, by the way- just an observation.

As I said elsewhere, the attempts at morality- or at least an awareness of immorality- in GTA IV rang somewhat hollow because there were still plenty of instances wherein you would walk into a mission point with no idea what it would demand of you, and walk out unable to progress unless you killed a dozen people you had never met.

Rockstar has never shied away from making horrible characters do horrible things (Manhunt, anyone?) but it's interesting- and a little unnerving- to hear that they've brought that full circle with their most well known and "mainstream" title.

Then again, he said jocularly, at least it sounds like you aren't constantly badgered by "friends" to go play darts.

I think this is a good review. A review is in essence the opinion of the reviewer. Some people put more weight in aspects like gameplay and graphics, while others put weight in story and characterisation. People also have different tastes. Mr. Greg here, much like me, cares more for story and characterisation. It's not like he completely ignored the good parts of the game and just said what he hated.

He wrote about the good parts and how good it is as well. He didn't like the characterisation, and since that carries a lot of weight for him, he docked the score. 70 is not a bad score.

Thanks Greg, for an honest review. You could just as much have given it a 9 like so many other reviewers, fearing the rage that would follow if you gave it a low score.

Mein Gott, the tide of New-Account Rage is ludicrous! D:

It's a bit of a sad statement that a 7/10, a solid "B" in school, is considered "click-bait".

TopazFusion:

lacktheknack:

You predicted that well.

Where did you get your crystal ball from? I want one...

History has a bad habit of repeating itself. Especially when someone have an opinion that lines up with everyone else.

TopazFusion:

lacktheknack:

You predicted that well.

Where did you get your crystal ball from? I want one...

I built my own during the White Guy Defense Force and "YAHTZEE WAS OFFENSIVE" threads.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here