The Big Picture: Boy Blunder

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Boy Blunder

MovieBob gives us an in depth look at the possibility of Justin Bieber being the boy wonder.

Watch Video

Nice troll move at the end there Bob. Well played.

Shiny distraction!

Eh, it turned out to be fake. Honestly, I didn't buy it for a minute and even if was possibly real, the fandom you mentioned Bob, would give Warner Bros. hell to pay. I think you mentioned it best when you said how social media has been a turning point for producers.

The age of "Too Much Information". Who need the NSA when we have bloggers?

This was the first time I've heard of Beiber and the script photo. Nice disection of it and the reasons behind it Moviebob.

And to think I almost skipped that ending.

I hope this turns out to be true. I think the next Superman movie will suck, so I want it to really, really suck so I have zero hope. Being another disappointment will be much worse than that.

Why do people care is what I wanna know. Don't get me wrong, if people try to mess with stuff I love I get VERY annoyed but the whole keeping up to date thing, checking media sites every 5 minutes, facebook, twitter, etc... bloody hell, I just about remember to check my emails every day.

MovieBob:
Boy Blunder

MovieBob gives us an in depth look at the possibility of Justin Bieber being the boy wonder.

Watch Video

The most interesting thing in this video is actually the stuff about Bieber and how his career is carefully controlled to make him a sort of media perfect storm.

In any case, I have a question for you Movie Bob. Your book sounds interesting but I don't know if I will like your writing style in a book format and money is too tight to make an impulse buy right now. Is there like a preview chapter online somewhere that I can read to see if I think it is something I am interested in?

I'm surprised Bieber is still in the public sphere without involving a need for rehab.

Anyway, this was the first I heard of it, though I don't care either way. Once again, I care not about anything to do with Superman movies because the guy is simply too powerful for the context of Earth and humanity.

I hadn't even heard about it, I'm not much of a social networker, I pretty much get all my news from here, so yeah great episode

PunkRex:
Why do people care is what I wanna know. Don't get me wrong, if people try to mess with stuff I love I get VERY annoyed but the whole keeping up to date thing, checking media sites every 5 minutes, facebook, twitter, etc... bloody hell, I just about remember to check my emails every day.

For as long as "stars" have existed, there has been opining for information about their lives. This went into overdrive when the internet allowed anybody to post information about them, with the juicy stuff rising to the top. Then social media came along and essentially squared the infinity.

My theory is that it provides a distraction from people's bleak lives as a method of escapism, wondering what it would be like to be a silver screen starlet rather than a secretary who's existence is one step above the computer.

And I wouldn't mind Justin Beiber playing Robin, so long as it was in a scene-by-scene cinematic version of "A Death in the Family." Wow... I went to a dark place there...

I'm certain that Justin Bieber was fucking with us just to get more attention. If he really wanted attention, he should have done an anti-education rant on Twitter like Jaden Smith.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2013/09/jaden-smith-finds-wisdom-in-everybody-dropping-out-of-school/

But if this was 100% true and Bieber was going to be Robin, then it would be the final nail in the coffin of DC Comics and Warner Brothers and prove that neither company has a fucking clue on how to do their jobs anymore. At least that is how I see it.

Personally, I wish the media would be conditioned out of this "latch onto any bit of rumor or gossip as if it was actually newsworthy because we only know how to appeal to the lowest common denominator" like yesterday. Maybe something that involves a car battery, a wet sponge, and jumper cables, I dunno.

I'm not gonna worry about this too much. I just gotta stay positive and remind myself that there is only two weeks left until Schlocktober 2013 comes our way.

The reflexive hate for Justin Bieber is like the reflexive love for Batman or Chuck Norris, in that I'm tempted to feel the exact opposite just because I'm sick of everyone singing praise to Batman and coming up with less and less creative small weeny jokes for Justin Bieber (even though I don't like his music, nor do I like how freaking popular he is with girls, ESPECIALLY at his age). In this regard, I'm actually with MovieBob here, though I'm not sure if this is at all true (it very likely isn't) or if Bieber is actually THAT good of an actor.

Oh, and my mom mentioned the new Harry Potter movie... SURPRISINGLY little discussion about that, even though I find it incredibly fascinating.

The Gentleman:

PunkRex:

For as long as "stars" have existed, there has been opining for information about their lives. This went into overdrive when the internet allowed anybody to post information about them, with the juicy stuff rising to the top. Then social media came along and essentially squared the infinity.

My theory is that it provides a distraction from people's bleak lives as a method of escapism, wondering what it would be like to be a silver screen starlet rather than a secretary who's existence is one step above the computer.

And I wouldn't mind Justin Beiber playing Robin, so long as it was in a scene-by-scene cinematic version of "A Death in the Family." Wow... I went to a dark place there...

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie where Justin Bieber was beaten to near death by a crowbar-wielding psychopath and then blown to smithereens. Maybe not in Batman/Superman but perhaps in a snuff film.

God, that was dark even for me. ^^;

I would give up an internal organ for a Captain Marvel movie with Carol.

Huh, never heard about this til today, which is funny because I am (somehow) friends with some Beliebers. But yeah, I'm certain it's a hoax of some kind, so I'm not too bothered by it. Just kind of saddened that so many are still willing to believe Beiber does so much for his "fans" when he's willing to troll them so hard just to get some headlines. And they let him troll them, and it doesn't even phase them.

In other news, God damn it Bob fine. I'll buy your book sometime this or next week, a digital copy. And I'll read it on my iPhone on break at work. Only because your self-parody ad for it at the end is so awesome.

In my opinion, movie producers would be idiots to allow Bieber to play this role. Given the massive amount of negative press on him lately, combined with his already prevalent metric tons of hate for common human decency and how to behave like a grown-up, this is an excellent way to ensure a movie will barely make its own money back - simply from people who want to be a part of this historically significant fuck-up of modern cinema.

Well, how much I hate his music has no barring on his acting ability. So if it were true, I'd still be neutral on this.

. . . huh. For some reason I'm kind of disappointed about this highly possibly being a prank. Mostly because I think it would have been good for the kid, since everyone knows that he will not be in the current "teenybop" scene forever (and definitely will not get break in to any other one), so that we could have found out if his as good of a faker on screen as he is on stage.

I don't really have an opinion on the Bieber thing other than what it says about the state of movies, which I'd argue, is shit.

I realize this wouldn't be the first time non-actors have starting acting, but seriously, Bieber? Who would even entertain this idea? There are kids who go to school for acting not to mention other talent that is, well, talented in the sphere of acting. Bieber is a pop star, he does pop star stuff like be insufferable by doing stupid stuff (the Anne Frank Beliber thing) but those things aren't acting.

It's bad that this was even granted a modicum of seriousness, is what I'm saying. That people thought they might actually go through with it.

Bob, you made me giggle, than laugh right out loud, in that order, with your end to this video. Excellently done.
And honestly, I don't give a fuck about Bieber either. I don't go looking for new and I don't have anything to say about it unless someone specifically asks me, in which case I say, "Why are you asking me? With all the interesting and important things you could be asking me for an opinion about, why are you asking me about Bieber? GAH!" Admittedly, I do get kind of annoyed whenever my radar happens to pick him up, but you'd be surprised how much easier that is than people think.

In any case, I'd actually like to see a well-done Robin in a Batman movie. Or, I would if I wasn't sick of Batman movies and wanted them to go away for a while so I could refresh them. Yeah, Robin was created as a marketing vehicle to try and get the younger audience interested, that's pretty much a fact, but there's potential to make Robin an interesting character and build an interesting dymanic between he and Batman. It's all how you do it.
(Hint: not how Joel Schumacker did it)

yeah, such a thing would never happen. I saw that episode of CSI, he can't act for crap.

So what you're saying is......

Harry Potter is Robin. It all makes sense now.

Eh, I wouldn't be sore about seeing him as Robin.
Provided it was Jason Todd, know what I mean?

To my knowledge, Justin Timberlake was a little like Bieber, in that he was either loved or hated because of his poppy, boy-band background. But then he actually turned out to be an okay actor. I just wonder if Bieber, on the very slight off chance he turned out to be an okay actor in a big-budget film like this, would be forgiven his sins against music & pop culture, too? Or is he too big?

Hahaha, I was waiting for you to finish that bit from The Critic. Nicely done.

It's funny how the internet has an opinion on what career choices other people should do.

For example, the sea of bitchiness that enjoys whining whenever Paris Hilton tries to do something but does a 'not that good' job of it.

I'm pissed at this video cuz I'm high and that distraction at the end made me forget the whole video XD

DVS BSTrD:
The age of "Too Much Information". Who need the NSA when we have bloggers?

Well, bloggers can't tell me your plans for the weekend, while the NSA...I've said too much!

Actually, Facebook usually covers that.

Funny thing is I'd heard nothing about this Bieber crap. It's like, if you don't constantly look for this stuff....

I mean, it's Bob's "job" of sorts to be keyed in to this crap, but people in general? Confuse me.

Actually, I could see Bieber as a young Jason Todd...

I hate how MovieBob always sounds like he's talking down to us. "I'm too old and mature to care about Justin Bieber, but I guess I'll talk about him to stop you children from whining." Maybe he didn't use those exact words, but that's pretty much what he said at the beginning of this video.

Nobodies "forcing" you to talk about Justin Bieber playing as Robin, MovieBob. You choose what you talk about and it didn't have to be this. That's what Yahtzee, and Jim do in their videos. All your doing is making yourself seem less sincere every time you open your mouth, and the only reason I watch your videos anymore is to hear your insane ramblings on how Hollywood and modern geeks are ruining comics. You're sensationalist.

For a while there I was afraid Bob had fallen for the whole thing and was doing a 5 minute rant about it. Glad to find out it was basically the opposite, and a really good episode at that.

Oh, so you're saying the movie benefits from Bieber as some kind of Decoy Effect for a real robin if ever that should be added? That could be true but the movie may also suffer from individuals writing off the movie as a laughing stock now without any concern for news in the future.

whether its true or not, this whole issue shows what is so terrible about American film-making. The whole process is based around the cult of personality/celebrity. Lets not worry about getting good actors or people who are right for the part, lets just get all the popular/beautiful people we can and plaster the poster with their faces. This is why super-heroes cant keep their masks on in American films, and it's how Samuel Jackson gets practically all his roles. I think Dredd was one of the most revolutionary films of the decade for having a main character who was willing to wear his mask through the whole movie. I don't expect to see man (any?) other films with that level of dignity.

Yeah, screw talking about Beiber, we should talk about more important things like the fact we still have no confirmation on a Ms Marvel movie. They're doing an Ant-man movie, strangely after Avengers 2 which apparently is loosely based on the Age of Ultron, but Ant-man won't be in Avengers 2. And worse yet, Ant-man is only well known for two things, changing his size up and down and ruthlessly beating his wife The Wasp on a near constant basis. Let's get a Ms Marvel movie going, Carol is an awesome character. Well, as long as you ignore the super creepy part about where her son came from. I think that got retconned anyway, at least I certainly hope so.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here