EXP: ScrewAttack's DEATH BATTLE! Batman vs. Spiderman

ScrewAttack's DEATH BATTLE! Batman vs. Spiderman

DC Comics VS Marvel! The dark knight battles the web crawler in a duel to the finish! Who will win? Who will die?

Watch Video

I support the victory of Spider-Man, quite frankly. It angered people on YouTube, though, and I imagine it will anger them here, too.

I support the conclusion if there's no prep time. If there were prep time, Batman's detective skills would be far greater than Spidey's and he would have doses of the spider toxin and chemicals/gadgets to overcome his webs, which would rob Spidey of his two most important advantages, leaving Batman the winner.

Except batman plans ahead, why he has a file on every superhero in the dc universe. And a plan to beat them all.

But yea on the basis of powers only batman would get his arse handed to him just about every time since he can only bench 1k lbs. vs spideys 10 tons, or supermans 100 million tons. And his wholly human speed.

take his planning and prep out and he isnt batman anymore.

Yeah, I'm ok with this.

heh, any one else find it amusing these are more credible then the show on Spike TV?

God I'm tired of Batman fanboys.

"Waaah but Batman didn't have prep time"

"AAAAAA BUT YOU DIDN'T GIVE BATMAN PRREEEEP TIIIIIIIIIME"

"PREREEEEEEEEEEE3REREP TIIIIIMEMEMMEME"

You also forgot the hyphen in Spider-Man.

Yeah, I think Spidey would end up taking it.

Batman might get lucky with a gadget, and Spidey's always struggled a bit with martial artists.

But in the end... I just don't see Bats taking it in a straight up 1v1.

Anyone else think this whole prep-time schtick makes Batman kinda boring? How is it any different to Superman's powers?

The only way Batman could beat Spider-Man in a fight is if he got prep time and Spider-Man didn't. Peter Parker is smarter than Bruce Wayne, and while he doesn't have the resources of the Wayne empire to work with, he has more than enough technical know-how to come up with a counter to anything Batman could throw at him, and his super-powers would always give him the edge in a physical fight.

hero vs superhero :: superhero wins
power vs superpower :: superpower wins

batman vs Spiderman :: Spidey Wins!

i concur.

I enjoy these death battles, despite agreeing or not with them, more please :)

Fantastic battle. Proper victory, too.

I'd like to take a moment that if Batman got prep time, then Spidey would too, which would bring us back to the same conclusion. It's important to remember Spidey is a super-genius in and of himself and was using his prep time at 15 years old to take down people way more dangerous than anyone Batman ever fought on his own (a la Electro). And considering Mysterio has a similar shtick to Batman (albeit far more flamboyantly), I think Spider-Man would win pretty nicely.

i remember this death battle from last year on screwattck.com... still think Batman should have won..he's got far more fighting experience then Spider-man.

i agree the spider sense takes it. batman is a fantastic hand to hand fighter but he does rely on deception and misdirection to even the odds when fighting opponents with super powers, spider sense is in essence precognition which means most of batman's attacks would be pre-empted and it's not the type of power that is evident from just examination he wouldn't know about the spider sense he would just think it's reflexes. spidey takes it. although batman and spider-man have teamed up before in cross-overs so it's possible bats might have a file on spider-man somewhere.

Gorrath:
I support the conclusion if there's no prep time. If there were prep time, Batman's detective skills would be far greater than Spidey's and he would have doses of the spider toxin and chemicals/gadgets to overcome his webs, which would rob Spidey of his two most important advantages, leaving Batman the winner.

Of course, Spider-Man's a bloody genius himself, and that's why they assumed what they did.

cerebus23:

Yes, take out his plot armour and he's actually a boring old hero with no actual superpowers for once, rather than a walking deus ex machina.

Sheen Lantern:

to be fair, they've been conditioned by decades of lazy writing.

Rossco64:
Anyone else think this whole prep-time schtick makes Batman kinda boring? How is it any different to Superman's powers?

It affords the illusion that Batman's a normal man with no super-powers. Even if the ability for the writer to literally ass-pull anything they want and say he "planned ahead" is a quick excuse to write your way out of any corner and a waaaay more useful superpower than anything Superman has in his arsenal.

It should be a joke, like the Chuck Norris meme, but instead, it's played completely straight.

crazygameguy4ever:
Batman should have won..he's got far more fighting experience then Spider-man.

'Fighting experience' can't save you from someone who can crush steel with his fingers, demolish a building with his bare hands and lift things weighing upwards of 85 tons with ease.

Especially when that someone can hit with the speed of machine gun fire, dodge machine gun fire like it's nothing, dodge faster-than-light attacks and even predict the events of the fight before it happens.

Oh, and did I mention how ridiculously durable this someone his? Yeah, anyone without upper levels of superhuman strength find him physically painful to punch.

Alright, Batman fanboys. Cough up the goods. How exactly does Batman beat someone this damn powerful? He isn't fighting Superman here, but he may as well be.

Zachary Amaranth:

Gorrath:

Of course, Spider-Man's a bloody genius himself, and that's why they assumed what they did.

He is indeed, but while he is smart, that does not make him on-par with Batman's detective abilities, which would presumably allow batman to find out how to defeat Spidey's webs and about the spider toxin. What's more, I think calling out Batman on the whole prep time schtick is kind of silly considering how they shoe-horn in excuses for nearly every super hero after they've written them into a corner.

Sheen Lantern:

Alright, Batman fanboys. Cough up the goods. How exactly does Batman beat someone this damn powerful? He isn't fighting Superman here, but he may as well be.

Not a Batman fanboy myself, but presumably he'd find out about the spider toxin and use it. Essentially, he'd beat Spider-man the same way he'd beat Superman. But again, this assumes that he has time to do the detective work needed to discover these things. I know they called the prep time part of it even on account of Parker being a genius, but I don't see how him being smart equates to him out thinking Batman. Heck, one of the reasons Spidey ever even gets into trouble is because he tends to be rather impetuous and does not properly think things through or plan ahead. It's one of his basic character traits.

Gorrath:

Sheen Lantern:

Not a Batman fanboy myself, but presumably he'd find out about the spider toxin and use it. Essentially, he'd beat Spider-man the same way he'd bear Superman. But again, this assumes that he has time to do the detective work needed to discover these things. I know they called the prep time part of it even on account of Parker being a genius, but I don't see how him being smart equates to him out thinking Batman.

Yes, you are a Batman fanboy, the very next thing you say is "If he had prep time he'd find a way to insta-win". The typical Batfanboy argument.

Muster one sentence assuming that Batman has no prep time. Oh wait, I can already guess what it's gonna be:

"well yeah i guess spider-man might win OH BUT IF BATMAN HAD TIME TO PREPARE THE FIGHT WOULD BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT BATMAN WOULD STOMP SPIDER-MAN" etc. etc.

I also hate it when people make shit up about Batman, he's never beaten Superman or the Justice League.

inb4 You bring up the Dark Knight Returns and make yourself look stupid.

Sheen Lantern:

Gorrath:

Sheen Lantern:

Not a Batman fanboy myself, but presumably he'd find out about the spider toxin and use it. Essentially, he'd beat Spider-man the same way he'd bear Superman. But again, this assumes that he has time to do the detective work needed to discover these things. I know they called the prep time part of it even on account of Parker being a genius, but I don't see how him being smart equates to him out thinking Batman.

Yes, you are a Batman fanboy, the very next thing you say is "If he had prep time he'd find a way to insta-win". The typical Batfanboy argument.

Muster one sentence assuming that Batman has no prep time. Oh wait, I can already guess what it's gonna be:

"well yeah i guess spider-man might win OH BUT IF BATMAN HAD TIME TO PREPARE THE FIGHT WOULD BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT BATMAN WOULD STOMP SPIDER-MAN" etc. etc.

I also hate it when people make shit up about Batman, he's never beaten Superman or the Justice League.

inb4 You bring up the Dark Knight Returns and make yourself look stupid.

First of all, no, I'm not a Batman fanboy thanks. I don't particularly care for him as a character and last time I checked I get to make the determination about what I am and am not a fan of. I didn't say jack about an insta win, what I talked about were ESTABLISHED CANON ways that have been used to beat Spidey that are well within what Batman could conceivably discover and implement.

Second of all, I didn't say anything about Batman stomping anyone, so here you continue to cram words in my mouth and I'd super appreciate it if you could stop that. What I actually talked about were the ways Batman could used these established weaknesses that Spidey has and exploit them, something Batman does regularly in his own canon.

Lastly, it has been established many times that Batman does have plans to beat every member of the JL. In fact, his plans were used against them to great effect and nearly led to the death of Superman. And you are dead wrong about Batman having never beaten Superman, he has, in several different iterations. Whether you accept those iterations as canon or not is up to you, I don't particularly care.

As for your last line, how about a little maturity here eh?

I can't wait until this forum catches wind of the episode with Goku and Superman.

Though I agree mostly with the conclusions here, I question Batman's portrayed methods. Whatever else he is, Batman is a ninja. It's true the Batmans's/ninja's main weapon is the element of surprise, and that is (almost) completely negated by the Spider Sense. Bats, like any good ninja, would have figured this out almost instantly and withdrawn, only to poke and prod Spidey with a series of skirmishes to test his defenses and withdrawing again after each brief encounter over several days, if not weeks. Bats would harass the shit out of Spidey, and analyze the data collected from those fights to change his tactics/develop gadgets accordingly. Ultimately, Spidey would have figured out he was being played and forced one such encounter to a definitive conclusion, most likely by feigning a subtle, but exploitable weakness (something all great detectives, even Batman, have difficulty avoiding).

2xDouble:
Though I agree mostly with the conclusions here, I question Batman's portrayed methods. Whatever else he is, Batman is a ninja. It's true the Batmans's/ninja's main weapon is the element of surprise, and that is (almost) completely negated by the Spider Sense. Bats, like any good ninja, would have figured this out almost instantly and withdrawn, only to poke and prod Spidey with a series of skirmishes to test his defenses and withdrawing again after each brief encounter over several days, if not weeks. Bats would harass the shit out of Spidey, and analyze the data collected from those fights to change his tactics/develop gadgets accordingly. Ultimately, Spidey would have figured out he was being played and forced one such encounter to a definitive conclusion, most likely by feigning a subtle, but exploitable weakness (something all great detectives, even Batman, have difficulty avoiding).

That's not a Death Battle, a Death Battle is when they are dropped into a fight to the death. Unless you meant that Batman would try to escape, in which I'll refer you to my scans above. Which prove Batman wouldn't survive the briefest encounter with Peter Parker.

Rossco64:

Also the fact that 'prep time' has a lot to do with Bruce Wayne simply being a billionaire. Having prep time and being able to set the stage to your advantage will give a huge edge to any combatant, not sure why Batman always seems to get granted exclusive rights to it.

Also it tends to work really well for Batman because in the DC Universe the characters tend to be given a singular point of weakness. A superpower always seems to come with it's own 'kryptonite', if you will. Which makes it all that much easier to plan a contingency to beat Superman or Green Lantern or whoever. And when you crossover these things tend not to exist in the Marvel universe, so Batman would have a much harder time against those hero's.

Die hard batman fanboy here.

I got no problem with this outcome :P Within the accepted format of this deathmatch, its a legit win.

Sure maybe batman might have done a lot better with prep time, just as goku might have eventually beaten superman since he would keep getting revived and coming back stronger each time until he finally exceeds the man of steels strength, etc etc...

But in these conditions batman was very unlikely to win versus a spiderman not holding back.

Sheen Lantern:

2xDouble:

That's not a Death Battle, a Death Battle is when they are dropped into a fight to the death. Unless you meant that Batman would try to escape, in which I'll refer you to my scans above. Which prove Batman wouldn't survive the briefest encounter with Peter Parker.

No... that's not a Death Battle. The rules of Death Battle, as listed at the end of the video, prevent such scenarios.

I read your scans, and you are wrong. (Oh look, golden-age comics where writers could just make up superpowers and nobody cared... cute.)

Spider-man is not super fast, he has enhanced reaction time and early warning. You'll notice in your evidence that the "laser attack" has a brief charge-up time, giving spidey's early-warning system and enhanced reflexes more than enough time to move his body out of the way before it fires. Instantaneous laser attacks, such as Cyclops's optic blasts, and pretty much everything Mysterio does, give Spidey far more trouble.

Vaulting is useful for evading attacks or creating confusion, but worthless when stalking.

Spider-sense only detects incoming danger, it can't be used to track, and as explained in the video, it can be turned against him.

Brachiating through a city on webs requires a great deal of concentration (offset somewhat by spider-sense) and is only efficient thanks to the freedom of movement. Swinging on any length of rope, even with elasticity, is only about as fast as riding a bike.

Furthermore, Spidey's swinging webs have lengthwise elasticity but are extremely weak laterally, and his swing is disrupted with alarming frequency.

Spider-man is a technical genius, but he's not a tactician. He frequently falls into obvious traps set by the most mundane of supervillains, such as the Goblins or the Kingpin, and, as evidenced by your scans, frequently forgets key details that lead to unnecessary risks and desperation tactics.

The ability to survive electric shocks is incidental to its ability to incapacitate him. In your own evidence, Spider-man is crippled by the bio-electricity repeatedly, though temporarily. Both Electro's and Shocker's electrical attacks are severe threats to Spider-Man (if they ever land) and he knows it.

Spider-man's stamina lets him survive without air twice as long as a normal human can, which is about 12 seconds.

Spider-man is not immune to "unspecified poison gas", he is highly resistant to it. He recovers from a much higher dose than a normal human, but as your own comic proves, he is still temporarily affected. Spidey has frequently been knocked out by gas, incapacitated by psychotropic drugs, stunned by nerve agents, and severely weakened by all manner of toxins and acids.

Are you seriously taking some douchebag delivering a topical nerve toxin via punch to the face and a weakened, bloodied, and woozy Punisher weakly slapping Spidey in the face as evidence that "normal humans can't hurt him"? Spider-man is strong and dense, but still mere meat. He can take crushing blows, but gets severe cuts and scrapes in the process. He is more than vulnerable to any kind of slashing damage.

Zachary Amaranth:

Gorrath:

cerebus23:

Yes, take out his plot armour and he's actually a boring old hero with no actual superpowers for once, rather than a walking deus ex machina.

Sheen Lantern:

to be fair, they've been conditioned by decades of lazy writing.

Rossco64:

It affords the illusion that Batman's a normal man with no super-powers. Even if the ability for the writer to literally ass-pull anything they want and say he "planned ahead" is a quick excuse to write your way out of any corner and a waaaay more useful superpower than anything Superman has in his arsenal.

It should be a joke, like the Chuck Norris meme, but instead, it's played completely straight.

I disagree (somewhat). If the writer is bad, and they randomly pull a deus ex machina out of their bag, then yes, the whole plan ahead thing is garbage. However, Batman is the kind of character who analyzes every scenario, every eventuality, because he's obsessive. He's also a genius. Superman and Spider-man actually have a life outside of their escapades. In the hands of a good writer the "plans ahead" bit isn't a deus ex machina, it's just part of his character.

That said, I always loved Batman BECAUSE he isn't the strongest hero, or the one with the crazy powers. He has to plan ahead just to stay above water. The under dog bit is what always made him one of my favorite character. I feel like that's been lost a bit recently.

Sheen Lantern:
*snip*

Yup. Those are digital comics alright, congratulations.

/golfclap

2xDouble:

The problem is that all of that equates to "Prep Time". Gathering an analyzing data? Determining what Spidey's weaknesses are over a series of encounter? All the rest that you said? Yeah, that's prep time.

Death Battles essentially take place in the Thunder Dome: Two Men Enter, One Man Leaves!

There is no "skirmish and flee", there is no "analyze what you learned by harassing your opponent for a few days or weeks". It's a fight. A fight to the death. Once the fight begins they keep going at it until someone's dead.

And so if you give Batman this version of prep time, Spidey would get the same. He'd be learning from his encounters with Batman as well. Lesson 1: Batman uses gadgets...a shit-ton of gadgets. It would be very likely that Spidey would realize "This is a guy who will likely try to exploit my weaknesses" and take steps to protect himself.

RJ 17:
*snip*

Why are Spider-man fanboys so distracted by the part where I talk about legitimate, real-world ninja tactics? I said Spider-man wins, in exactly the way you just said.

I accept your apology.

2xDouble:

RJ 17:
*snip*

Why are Spider-man fanboys so distracted by the part where I talk about legitimate, real-world ninja tactics? I said Spider-man wins, in exactly the way you just said.

I accept your apology.

Why are you distracted from the fact that I was pointing out that what you're suggesting breaks the rules set by the fight and as such couldn't happen in the Death Battle arena?

I accept your apology.

PS: Seeing as how I've never actually read a comic book in my life, I don't see how I could be a Spider-Man fanboy.

RJ 17:

2xDouble:

RJ 17:
*snip*

I accept your apology.

Why are you distracted from the fact that I was pointing out that what you're suggesting breaks the rules set by the fight and as such couldn't happen in the Death Battle arena?

I accept your apology.

PS: Seeing as how I've never actually read a comic book in my life, I don't see how I could be a Spider-Man fanboy.

Not distracted by, distracting from. See, that particular qualm was addressed in the thread (which I don't blame you for not reading; it's complete tripe), by a butthurt fanboy who started off almost exactly as you did, then proceeded to vomit all over the screen. Please forgive the confusion.

I've also never read comic books, and if that's the way people who read them behave, then I'm glad I didn't. Now, shall we continue talking about ninjas? heh.

Captcha: power seal technology. I wish, captcha, I really do.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here