Zero Punctuation: Killer Is Dead

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Zachary Amaranth:

DataSnake:
That's nothing. Last year he named a realistic military shooter the best game of the year and an indie survival horror game the worst. I'm pretty sure that's a sign of the end times.

No, him naming a JRPG best game of the year is a sign of the end times. This is just a sign of a minor plague or seven.

If that's a sign of the end times then what would him naming a COD game GOTY be a sign of?

Count me as one of the people who actually like Killer is Dead and feel most of the media is being way too harsh on it. Character Action games are a acquired taste and if one doesn't go into it with the mindset of being a cool guy slashing things to bits with a katana then it's going to seem very stale and tedious.

Yahtzee actually treated it much more fairly than most, focusing mostly on the parts of it that I do feel could have used refining (short campaign punctuated by minigames that no person would want to do more than three times, the same exposition cutscene used over and over again) but most of all: He didn't use the cop-out that most review sites have been using saying that it's "Too Japanese". Even though the protagonist is essentially Suda's idea of James Bond if he was an assassin from the moon. Everything about that was characterized perfectly except for the part where they actually had to show the world's resistance to his personality to watch how he reacts to tough situations, which never really comes up. He's pretty much the same overly-suave ladykiller from beginning to end. Which is where I feel the campaign should have expanded on instead of throwing "Giant Katana Slashity-Slash Arena Number 15" minigames at the player.

The combat is where I'm saddened to hear it compared as a cut-down No More Heroes because everything about it has been expanded from NMH unless one just buys the standard upgrades without any new moves or techniques. Which is why I say that character action games are very much an acquired taste, as the game could be beaten on normal by just hacking and slashing away at the enemies until they die, but it misses the finesse required to do the much more powerful moves and combos to kill the enemies "properly" (Not just hacking and slashing them until they die). Killer is Dead's combat focuses on Mondo's defensive capabilities and never forces the player to make a move they are not ready to make. Which actually should make it very easy to pick up and play for someone who never even played NMH even on the hardest difficulty. The combat is by far the best part of the game for me even if the rest of it is a little scrambled.

I would say: It's at least worth a rent to enjoy that excellent combat and artstyle. Here's hoping next week is Wonderful 101.

Yes, I'm mad as hell about Rasputin being elected as well.

I was really confused by the name, until yahtzee said that it was somewhat tangentially connected to Suda51. I mean "killer is dead"?

Also loved the last bit about Tony Abbott =D

To those of you who don't know who Abbot is:

He is our version of Mitt Romney who actually got elected.

Is it just me or does Yahtzee seem a bit angry this week?
Does the new Australian PM have something against video games?
'Cause i can't see why else he'd be so angry about it everyone knew he was going to win.
Also Yathzee doesn't normally get that angry about sexist depictions of women, except in other M i guess.
Is it the money (in the form of gifts) for sex thing?
I've never met a person who doesn't hate that cultural trope but It's so hard wired into society it's almost impossible to get rid of

Being able to vote is definitely worth having to continue voting. After all, how many countries can boast their own political Sex Party?

Characters not showing emotion is usually lazy storytelling. Sexual conquest as a sidequest is usually lazy gameplay.
Case in point - The Witcher.

Zetatrain:

If that's a sign of the end times then what would him naming a COD game GOTY be a sign of?

An epic shitstorm and a need to flee the country.

Suda 51 seems like my kind of guy. Let's just have a game where you're a cool assassin guy who kills things with a katana. That alone makes this game worth a try.

Wasn't expecting this game. I decided to watch some gameplay vids on YouTube. It seems like the most boring Suda 51 game so far. Gone is the lightness of tone from Shadows of the Damned or Lollipop Chainsaw. Replaced it with emotionless angst.

Actually an over inflated Tony Blair sex doll would probably do a better job running this country then our current leader.

gjkbgt:

No, he's just an anachronistic bully-boy who thinks women will never be the equals of men. Somewhere in this video, I kind of got the point that Yahtzee's views on gender relations have progressed beyond the level of cave-man, hence the ire.

Actually, his party has promised to stop rolling out fast internet because apparently all we'd do with it is play games and download Game of Thrones, so you are kind of correct.

Are you also disappointed they won't be bringing fiber to home;
-Or that the science minister is gone
-Or there being a only single woman in the cabinet
-Or that hes basically a giant joke to the international community and sticks his foot in his mouth whenever the oportunity arises

Among other things.

You talking about politics Yahtzee seems more interesting than killer is dead.

Zachary Amaranth:
Yahtzee bashed Suda51 and enjoyed "zany" Saints Row. Either he's being coerced, or Yahtzee has been replaced by some sort of shapeshifting creature for nefarious reasons.

....Seriously, just...My world is upside down!

Maybe because deciding one's opinion of the game isn't just a series of check boxes.

Simply because a game is quirky or zany has no bearing on the quality.

Shamanic Rhythm:

gjkbgt:

No, he's just an anachronistic bully-boy who thinks women will never be the equals of men. Somewhere in this video, I kind of got the point that Yahtzee's views on gender relations have progressed beyond the level of cave-man, hence the ire.

Actually, his party has promised to stop rolling out fast internet because apparently all we'd do with it is play games and download Game of Thrones, so you are kind of correct.

He is also destroying everything the previous government has done to tackle climate change. Abolishing the carbon tax and various climate change institutions. He doesn't even have a science minister in his cabinet. He has been quoted saying things like women will never have equal representation in various industries.

Oh and he is opposed to gay marriage.

sammysoso:

Maybe because deciding one's opinion of the game isn't just a series of check boxes.

It's a bad idea to bring serious tone to tongue in cheek posts.

Zachary Amaranth:

sammysoso:

It's a bad idea to bring serious tone to tongue in cheek posts.

The issue here id that you can't easily tell that it was tongue in cheek and that this is the internet.

There are some weird people out there who spout insane stagements believing them to be true.

Without vocal inflection it can be difficult to tell the difference between a joke and a nutjob.

Ed130:

The issue here id that you can't easily tell that it was tongue in cheek and that this is the internet.

Only if you ignore a pretty heavy level of absurdity.

Accusing me of being indistinguishable from a nutjob is nice and all, but it's kind of...Well, false.

The number of people claiming Yahtzee is a shape shifting imposter is pretty low. Another hint might be a deliberate play on the whole Saints Row thing.

I mean, you can pretend it's a crapshot, but it's not.

Fuck Tony Abbott.

Best election analysis ever.

Nuuuu! A game almost a bad as "Captain Suppository?" Shit.

Yahtzee, if you didn't vote then you lose the right to complain about the election results, because if you actually cared you would have done something when you had the chance.

drummodino:

Shamanic Rhythm:

gjkbgt:

He is also destroying everything the previous government has done to tackle climate change. Abolishing the carbon tax and various climate change institutions. He doesn't even have a science minister in his cabinet. He has been quoted saying things like women will never have equal representation in various industries.

You forgot "stop the boats". So basically, Australians now live in a country whose main ambitions are to thwart global efforts to reduce emissions, and prevent refugees from escaping oppression in their own country. Brilliant.

Zachary Amaranth:

Ed130:

Only if you ignore a pretty heavy level of absurdity.

Accusing me of being indistinguishable from a nutjob is nice and all, but it's kind of...Well, false.

The number of people claiming Yahtzee is a shape shifting imposter is pretty low. Another hint might be a deliberate play on the whole Saints Row thing.

I mean, you can pretend it's a crapshot, but it's not.

I wasn't implying that you were a nutjob and for that I aplogise, but I tend to comsign your posts into the 'uncertain if serious or not' pile most of the time.

Your JRPG post later on was rather good however.

That part about the "one hole for flowers, one hole for penis" bit had me rolling. This is probably one of the best episodes yet.

discrider:
Yahtzee, if you didn't vote then you lose the right to complain about the election results, because if you actually cared you would have done something when you had the chance.

I'm almost certain he was being facetious.

I'm watching this series being played by Two Best Friends and though I can see where Yahtzee's coming from... I have to disagree. The art style and creative scenery leading up towards bosses are amazing and truly artistic compared to most games of our modern time. Plus it can get downright hilarious too at times.

Though I will agree, the protagonist needs more emotion plus he doesn't understand that to be an assassin, it's best to be sneaky then charging in with katanas that glow blue everytime you get a combo in slashing people like you're a Super Sayian. Just saying.

Blood Brain Barrier:

drummodino:

Shamanic Rhythm:

You forgot "stop the boats". So basically, Australians now live in a country whose main ambitions are to thwart global efforts to reduce emissions, and prevent refugees from escaping oppression in their own country. Brilliant.

Oh yea that too. To be fair, labor weren't much better in that regard.

DanHibiki:
The Sword thing might not be that far fetched for Japanese assassins. Possessing a gun in Japan is illegal and the punishment is so severe that no Yakuza is willing to be caught with one and they're so hard to find that you can't really learn how to shoot one. You end up with a situation where it's just plain easier to hack your enemies up with knives then to try and get a gun then miss horribly when you learn that it's not as easy to shoot as on TV.

And no doubt, without any guns, they have just as many mass shootings as America, because it's common knowledge the availability of guns is not a factor, it's all GTA and mental illness.

For god's sake Yahtzee, don't complain about the election and then admit you're not even registered to vote! Unless you're under 18, there's no excuse for it.

Oh yeah, nice review. I was kind of expecting it'd be an Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs/Outlast comparison. That seems right up his alley.

Producer:
Wow, the punchline is a fucking national joke. Is it too early to call ZP dead, or perhaps too late?

He's just annoyed that Abbott won the election, along with everyone else in the country who can't vote.

Anyway, nice review. I have been planning to check out some Suda51 games, but I'm not too sure as of yet.

I get the feeling yahtzee dislikes the new prime minister of australia. Not entirely sure, it's a little bit unclear.

Wait a minute. is it me or is yathzee speaking very slow (for him) this week?

Comparing Tony Abbott to Tony Blair is being really really harsh on Tony Blair

Any chance of some more 3ds reviews? Assuming you aren't gonna do pokemon when it comes out

@Yahtzee

I'm sick of you screaming and complaining about every single game you get your hands on. Killer is Dead is a sci-fi action game and if you don't like being an assasin and having a sword as a weapon, then it might not be a game for you, that's what Suda 51 games are all about.

Professor Zoom:
@Yahtzee

I'm sick of you screaming and complaining about every single game you get your hands on. Killer is Dead is a sci-fi action game and if you don't like being an assasin and having a sword as a weapon, then it might not be a game for you, that's what Suda 51 games are all about.

You don't seem to understand that this is Yahtzee's "thing". He's made quite a career out of it. I find it doubtful that people turn to Zero Punctuation to get a serious review of a game, more of a "LOL, I wonder what he will have to say about this game..."

If you don't like him or what he does, that is one thing, but it's kind of silly to insist he stop doing what has made him famous and one would assume he makes a comfortable living from.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here