Escapist News Now: GTA 5 Highest 1st Day Game Sales Ever

GTA 5 Highest 1st Day Game Sales Ever

Rockstar Games announced that Grand Theft Auto 5 has surpassed more than $800 million dollars in worldwide sales during the first 24 hours of launch.

Watch Video

Holy fuck.

I guess their gamble paid off well.

Now to sit back, and watch with a bucket full of popcorn as the PC only crowd rage at the fact that a game that was only released on consoles was able to make back 4X as much money than the initial development cost.
Turns out consoles are just as profitable as ever.

EDIT: At the moment. A PC release is on the way.

Why would we care? We have plenty of games to occupy our time. How much money they make isn't really our concern. Is it yours?

Edit: In response to the post above. I'm sure the guys at Rockstar busted their asses and are very happy with this news. Congrats to them.

They actually confirmed how much TOR cost? I thought it was rumored to be somewhere between 200 and 800 mil and the actual amount was never found out.

The leak of GTA V was all a stunt to drum up sales. ;)

Crazy Zaul:
They actually confirmed how much TOR cost? I thought it was rumored to be somewhere between 200 and 800 mil and the actual amount was never found out.

They've managed to narrow the range down between 200 to 230 million. It didn't cost as much as GTA V.

Given that if it was possible to make GTA V back then, it wouldn't have topped TOR in cost.

Holy Shit! 800 Million in 24 hours!? Fuck! How much did the last COD Make?

Do you know what this could mean? If COD can be dethroned by GTA V, it might help lead the movement away from Modern Military Shooters. :D

Diablo1099:

Do you know what this could mean? If COD can be dethroned by GTA V, it might help lead the movement away from Modern Military Shooters. :D

Question is, if there is movement from the modern military shooter, what exactly will it move to? And will the genre it moves to become as boringly catered to everybody once everyone jumps ship?

Karthenak:

Diablo1099:

Question is, if there is movement from the modern military shooter, what exactly will it move to? And will the genre it moves to become as boringly catered to everybody once everyone jumps ship?

You are right, if you've seen any of these expos lately, they really like to boast that almost every up and coming game will be "open world". Seeing how upping the amount of ram and vram available to games has only caused the devs to masterbait on the possibility of open world games, it's rather disappointing to me, because now they should have the tools at their disposal to do whatever awesome stuff they couldn't do before because of the hardware restrictions. Let's face it, most of the "open world" theme is just there to pad the playtime artificially, it's not even integral to the games.. it's become a feature. And it's sad.

Karthenak:

beez:
You are right, if you've seen any of these expos lately, they really like to boast that almost every up and coming game will be "open world". Seeing how upping the amount of ram and vram available to games has only caused the devs to masterbait on the possibility of open world games, it's rather disappointing to me, because now they should have the tools at their disposal to do whatever awesome stuff they couldn't do before because of the hardware restrictions. Let's face it, most of the "open world" theme is just there to pad the playtime artificially, it's not even integral to the games.. it's become a feature. And it's sad.

While those are good points, I think we can agree that an Open World Fad would be a lot better for the the Linear Shooter Fad.
Also, with an Open World, you need to put a lot more thought into your world.
At the very least, It'll prompt SOME change in the norm and stop the over saturation a bit.

Nice one Rockstar. I'm enjoying the game right now, and it is always encouraging to see hard work and a good track record end up with such great demand.

Of course feedback from the players will be more important to the creative folks at Rockstar than only the sales :) though that is some sweet haul.

Here's hoping there are less me-too muppets making silly moves because they were salivating when reading about these sales figures.

$800.000.000 means at least ten million units sold, right ?

does this mean everyone's going to make bad gta-knockoffs now? (you know... more than they were already doing)
It's kinda cool to see something breaking Call of Duty's spree.

800 million means 13 million copies, and they're going to sell even more when the next gen of consoles comes out. Good for them, I played it at a friend's place and they deserve to be king of the mountain.

Also, is it me or is Andrea getting a lot better at this? Before I always thought she was a little over the top, but she's really good here.

I almost feel a little ashamed to have bought this game now. $800 million is a ridiculous sum. No doubt the team at Rockstar worked incredibly hard and they have crafted a beautiful world... but I can hear Jim Sterling in my ear, berating the games industry for making games at such exorbitant costs.

No wonder smaller, more "risky" titles never see the light of day. How much longer can we stand to see GTA's repeated formula in yet more extravagant sequels?

Proverbial Jon:
I almost feel a little ashamed to have bought this game now. $800 million is a ridiculous sum. No doubt the team at Rockstar worked incredibly hard and they have crafted a beautiful world... but I can hear Jim Sterling in my ear, berating the games industry for making games at such exorbitant costs.

No wonder smaller, more "risky" titles never see the light of day. How much longer can we stand to see GTA's repeated formula in yet more extravagant sequels?

My sentiments exactly. Except that, at the very least, I didn't buy GTA.

I'm seeing everyone going apes**t about GTA5 and I'm wondering if I'm the only sane person left.

Diablo1099:
Also, with an Open World, you need to put a lot more thought into your world.
At the very least, It'll prompt SOME change in the norm and stop the over saturation a bit.

You are right, but it is easier to make a seemingly exciting linear shooter, than an open world one, just because it takes that extra effort to make your open world interesting and not something that bores you to death and dis-encourages you to even complete the main campaign. It's just all this muddy mess of features that meant something once, now it's just in everything and it doesn't mean anything.

I would rather have a few meaningful games that are single player only.
I would personally rather have a game with a meaningful coop than competitive multiplayer. (this is just actually me, I have a friend whom we like to experience games together with, while talking about stuff on skype)
I would rather have a few of the niché titles doing competitive multiplayer but doing it good.
I prefer linear games done right as opposed to forced open world.
I would rather have a few niché games doing open world.
A good story negates average gameplay for me.
I would like to see an MMO made for a niché audience with care and conscious effort, since TOR killed that market segment off. Just one, or two.
I would also prefer if game projects would be organized better, with more oversight on these from people who actually can intervene if somebody is doing something idiotic with it.
I prefer brave experiments on smaller budgets as opposed to bloated common gray everyday crap.

I'm guessing the lack of all these variances on the triple A market can be attributed in major part to the fact that most publishers are traded on the stock market, because when you put a software company up there, you have to put profits up above everything else, while praying not to let the stock prices fall. I'm guessing as long as it stays like this, we won't really see any major changes.

I don't have anything against bloated game budgets as long as they make the money back and it doesn't compromise the creative vision. However, if you spend 2-300 milli on a game and make 201-301 back and your publisher deems you and your franchise as wasted time and assigns you to do other, more profitable stuff, instead of what you want as a dev company, then you have a problem. Don't give a game a huge budget and justify it afterwards by saying that they need to sell X million (which is almost never going to happen by the way), but calculate eventual sales and adjust the budget to that. If it limits the artistic vision to a degree that is unbearable, then just can it until you can afford it, but doing stuff on borrowed money and killing good potential games is bullcrap as a practice.

At least, this is what I think of the games industry as an outsider, I might be wrong tho.

Dragonbums:
Holy fuck.

Now to sit back, and watch with a bucket full of popcorn as the PC only crowd rage at the fact that a game that was only released on consoles was able to make back 4X as much money than the initial development cost.

Why would i rage about something like that? If anything it makes me happy that something other than cod can make ridiculous amounts of money, and the game belongs to one of my favorite devs. And hopefully now Rockstar wont be too worried about the expenses of a PC port.

kasperbbs:

Dragonbums:
Holy fuck.

Why would i rage about something like that? If anything it makes me happy that something other than cod can make ridiculous amounts of money, and the game belongs to one of my favorite devs. And hopefully now Rockstar wont be too worried about the expenses of a PC port.

Since GTA was born on the PC, I honestly think they just don't care. And by the looks of how bad the piracy is on consoles, one on the PC would be disastrous to them.

I'm not really talking about all PC people though.

However there was a specific subset of PC only people that said this game was going to fail specifically because they didn't have a release for PC. Those people are probably pissed right now.

Diablo1099:

Except that GTA can't be crapped out every year... or atleast, Rockstar doesn't do that since they actually care about what they make.

Them COD's are here to stay for quite a while I'm afraid.

Great news, GTA is like a once a five years game. And unlike yearly re-itterations. Looking at you call of duty, that means it has to earn its money back. Showing again that with a good IP and taking your time you can get your money back.

And that is just on the first day... this will do rockstar good. Also good to see how much they improved in the actual game compared to GTA IV. But I am sure that will be fought over.

But yeah I am not a person who buys allot of games. But a GTA is a GTA. If you like games like this you buy GTA.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here