Escape to the Movies: Prisoners

Pages PREV 1 2

RatGouf:
That GTA5 & Saints Row IV comparison is made of Pure Awesome!

Absolutely. GTA V is stuck up its own sordid narrative ass, Saints Row IV doesn't bother to take a cheese grater to any common myths or beliefs about society, morals or whatever else. It simply does its thing, and it does it fabulously well.

Granted, though - your mileage may vary. I know that statement of mine might be flame bait waiting to happen, but I'm of the mind that Rockstar have had all the chances needed to explore their take on America in the previous game. What else really needs to be said? Do we really need another reminder that the vision we have of Western Society is a skewed one and that injustice oftentimes happens for its own sake?

tyriless:

If there is any reason why he doesn't read the comments section of his videos this would be it. You are more caught up on a man's dialect than the actual content of the review. What's worse is that these complaints have been going on for more than a year now so it's both trite and tired. Enough.

Oh we're sorry that it annoys us and makes it hard to take in the ACTUAL CONTENT of the review. How rude of people not to tolerate the lack of production value that has been getting progressively worse over the past year and a half. We like watching Bob review movies. I don't think anyone complaining about the accent coming in and out doesn't, but that doesn't mean we're able to tolerate the annoying change from "Boston Bob" to "Movie Bob".

Pick one. Do the whole review in that tone. Don't change during, that's what I want. Hell if it means he just goes full out and drops the "broadcast" tone then so be it, but as soon as I hear his accent flare up and then disappear I stop watching.

Sovereignty:

Pick one. Do the whole review in that tone. Don't change during, that's what I want. Hell if it means he just goes full out and drops the "broadcast" tone then so be it, but as soon as I hear his accent flare up and then disappear I stop watching.

Really? :P The guy doing a movie review has switched from sounding American to sounding American! FUCK THIS. I'M OUT.

PEACE!

I dare Bob to just do a whole review in a high-pitched Russian accent, because I want to see the reactions.

OT:
Seems good. I'm not one for realistic detective/thriller movies, but maybe I'll see it at some point. This is one of those films that doesn't seem like it needs to be viewed at the theaters. I do like the "more sinister than an icecream cake" idea placed into the real world though. After a while in the world of Sherlock Holmes you start to realize people don't act like that.

Desert Punk:
Bob, I am sure you dont read the comments page of your shows, and I am glad that the movie looks good but...

Dang man! Pick an accent and stick to it! I dont think you have any idea how jarring or annoying it is to bounce back and forth between the two accents from one sentence to another or even in the same sentence.

PLEASE, I dont care which either is fine, just pick one and stick with it in a video! Now if you will excuse me I need to go take an ibuprofen because I have a headache from it.

So much this. Escape to the Movies is one of the few shows I make a point of watching every week, and I generally enjoy them plenty even if I have no interest in the movie. And the Boston accent is fine! But swapping back and forth makes it really hard to focus on the actual review - it's like someone walking into the room and playing with the light-switch, except in this case that switch is in your head.

As for the movie itself... sounds fantastic but totally not my cup of tea. Then again, Arlington Road was also a great movie and I couldn't stand that one either.

I'm surprised by the lack of comments not pointing out that Gyllenhaal's character's last name is, in fact, Loki.

"Jack Bauering" I like it XD

tyriless:

Desert Punk:

MovieBob:
Prisoners

Bob, I am sure you dont read the comments page of your shows, and I am glad that the movie looks good but...

Dang man! Pick an accent and stick to it! I dont think you have any idea how jarring or annoying it is to bounce back and forth between the two accents from one sentence to another or even in the same sentence.

PLEASE, I dont care which either is fine, just pick one and stick with it in a video! Now if you will excuse me I need to go take an ibuprofen because I have a headache from it.

If there is any reason why he doesn't read the comments section of his videos this would be it. You are more caught up on a man's dialect than the actual content of the review. What's worse is that these complaints have been going on for more than a year now so it's both trite and tired. Enough.

I watched the review, I saw the ads, they made money off of me already, and as I said I am glad the movie looks good, but the fact that it has been going on for a year shows that he really should just pick one accent to stick to.

[quote="Ferisar" post="6.828894.20181621"]
I dare Bob to just do a whole review in a high-pitched Russian accent, because I want to see the reactions.

My reaction, for one, would be thanking him for sticking to a single accent.

Xelien:
Ok question to anybody who's seen this: How graphic are the torture scenes? Like stylized movie violence like "Zodiac" that has some discretion or more in your face realistic and gory?

Remember the beating Jared Leto took in Fight Club? Not as bad as that.

Loved the movie and stand behind everything Bob said.

... Uh... Who is Paddington? and why should I care? (completely honest question).

Prisoners looks like a good movie, at the very least I'll rent it whenever it comes out for BluRay.

ticklefist:

Remember the beating Jared Leto took in Fight Club? Not as bad as that.

Oh good, thanks! Totally gonna see it over the weekend.

Movie Bob's inconsistent Boston accent is starting to get on my nerves. Pick a voice!

Can I just say that after reading these comments, I hate you all.

A Paddington Movie? If it's not got Michael Hordern doing all the voices, I'm probably not going to like it. Here's hoping they don't stick a CGI pop culture reference to Gangnam Style or something in it.

SupahGamuh:
... Uh... Who is Paddington? and why should I care? (completely honest question).

Prisoners looks like a good movie, at the very least I'll rent it whenever it comes out for BluRay.

An immigrant who comes to the UK to steal our jobs and marmalade.

That's it really. And it's obligatory childhood material if you are from the UK.

I love to listen to reviews when Bob just relaxes and talks like he's supposed to. Just be yourself, man, screw the radio broadcast voice stuff and just let the Boston out. It's like I was listening to the cast of The Departed; with an actually native accent rather than actors doing it, mind you. :P

Awesomesauce! I was very interested in this movie form the get go, and now im thrilled to see it. Dark, gritty look at what a real world abduction would do to more r less normal real world people. Having said that, not seen the movie yet don't know everything Jackman's character does, but I completely understand it. Ive taken a very askew viewpoint towards law enforcement in this country from personal experience and as such have this solemn vow "If someone f-'s with me or my family I will literally go medieval on their ass" Me and bob don't always see eye to eye but 90% of the tie we do, and when we don't its when he doesn't like a movie that I like, when he likes it I pretty much like it for the same reason.

On that not reguarding GTA5... Wow, just wow. When Saints Row, with its wackiness is considered more Progressive that GTA that's saying something. However: GTA4 in my mind was way too drawn out with its beginning and didn't seem as fun as Vice City, my last favorite in the series. While Saints Row 3 was super fun and very badass, was a bit over the top in wackiness but still very fun to play. From what ive read/seen/heard, Everything I didn't like about both titles has been addressed. I'll probably end up buying both before the year is out because im a Open world gaming whore, but because GTA4 has gone back to its more controversial roots I think I'll like it more :)

About 5 seconds into listening to someone talk, I'm usually adjusted to their accent. It's not that big of deal. I can listen to people talk all day whose accents are extremely different from mine, and by the end I'll have forgotten they have an accent at all - I won't have noticed it since that first 5-second period of calibration.

But if you switch back and forth constantly, then I'm constantly re-calibrating. Which is headache-inducing.

If MovieBob can't maintain his "TV voice" in this series anymore, he should just let himself speak with the Boston accent. Boston accents are cool. If he really feels like he should maintain the TV voice, he should actually do so.

Escape to the Movies is heavily-edited, cutting out most breaths and pauses to fit as much as possible into the five minutes. I'm guessing that he used to cut out the occasional accent-slip, and he doesn't anymore because of time pressure.

Saw the movie last night, it was excellent. I expected it to be really good based on the trailers, turned out to be really great.
another solid review from MovieBob.

That was my favorite part about this movie - how natural all of the characters felt. They felt like real people and it really lent to the tension of the film because it was easier to relate to them. I particularly enjoyed Detective Loki's character (even though I don't normally care for Jake Gyllenhaal ), but Bob is absolutely right about Jackman's performance being the real stand-out here. Thankfully the torture scenes were less graphic than I was expecting.

If I had any real complaint about the film, I'd say it's just a little bit longer than I would have preferred. The trouble is that you can't really take anything out and it's pretty clear that the film could have been even LONGER. All in all though, I'd recommend it.

Mike Richards:
I find it kind of funny that Joel and Ellie showed up in that series of pictures considering I kind of feel like in a lot of ways Last of Us did many of same kind of things he's talking about here. I really hope that was intentional.

Yeah, I wanted to mention something about that to. Makes it seem like Bob either didn't play or watch walk-throughs of the game, or didn't really get what was going on.

Who were the "Duck-thugs" pictured when he said "muddle"? I'm sure they were Ducktales or Darkwing Duck villains (or something Disney Afternoon)

I've tried searching a bunch of Disney cartoon titles along with "muddle" and I can't find them. Help.

marioandsonic:
I really wish Bob would either stick to his natural Boston accent, or his non-accent speaking voice.

Not alternate between the two every 10 seconds. It's annoying.

Oh god yes. Pick one, Bob. It's...confusing and way too distracting.

Detective Loki?

Edit: And thanks to Bob's liberal use of details, I now know who did it, and this is the first time I've heard of this movie... Where am I going to get my smug sense of self-satisfaction from figuring something out before its revealed now, hrm?

Arslan Aladeen:

Mike Richards:
I find it kind of funny that Joel and Ellie showed up in that series of pictures considering I kind of feel like in a lot of ways Last of Us did many of same kind of things he's talking about here. I really hope that was intentional.

Yeah, I wanted to mention something about that to. Makes it seem like Bob either didn't play or watch walk-throughs of the game, or didn't really get what was going on.

Well it's not Super Mario Bros. so how important can it be? I kid, I kid.

Seeing that did kinda give me momentary flash backs to that rather disappointing article Cracked published not too long ago on gender issues in games, which well intentioned though it may have been rather severely missed the point of the relationships in both Last of Us and Infinite in the attempt to make it's case. Also some more general issues of faulty standards, unbalanced expectations, a seemly slightly skewed definition of what equal treatment of characters actually means, but this is getting off topic.

Seeing people argue for something I'm wholeheartedly in favor of by using arguments and examples I don't agree with is just one of those things that really bothers me because I always end up feeling caught in the middle. Actually that kind of feeling is probably why so much of this discussion never gets anywhere in the first place.

Anyways, I'm sure he was just making reference to the archetype that Joel is supposed to represent from the onset which is then subsequently deconstructed.

piscian:
Btw The torture screenshot is from a really old unofficial NES lightgun game (Im serious). Anyone know the name of it?

Someone may have already told you, but I believe the game is called Chiller. It's oddly gruesome despite looking like it was all drawn in MS Paint.

marioandsonic:
I really wish Bob would either stick to his natural Boston accent, or his non-accent speaking voice.

Not alternate between the two every 10 seconds. It's annoying.

I second/third/fourth/umpteenth this, except I prefer the regular speaking voice because Boston accents sound uneducated. Also his first 10 or so videos have no hint of any accent whatsoever, so if you're capable of pronouncing an R, DO IT.

I went out and saw this movie. Yes, I know, late. Anyway, I feel like the end cheapened the deconstruction of the father. His actions do, through happenstance, lead him to the real kidnapper. And that was disappointing. :(

I just saw this movie....late....deal with it...It was great until the last 20 minutes mark. It became fucking RETARDED. This couple kidnapped ALL the people? All of every kid in 100 miles was successfully kidnapped by these fucking retards in a trailer with a hole in the ground? And Hugh, with all of the character building, didn't fight the dumb grandma bitch? He would have eaten every bullet she had at that point. This movie went from a 9.5ish to a 4.whocares in my mind. All in the last 20 minutes. Dumb.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here