Escapist Expo: Magic Smackdown at Escapist Expo

Magic Smackdown at Escapist Expo

Josh, Justin and Janelle respond to the Escapist vs Smosh Games showdown.

Watch Video

BRILLIANT!! Janelle gets my vote for most awesome smacktalk ever on magic the gathering.

Is it your camera angle or is Janelle just so tiny?!

Pretty sure she was standing on 3 phone books too.

IllumInaTIma:
Is it your camera angle or is Janelle just so tiny?!

Nope, but it's a combination of her being shorter and Josh and I both being tall. I'm 6'3".

Interesting.. and respectful video. Were the three of you chosen for your names? "Yeah Smosh, we can field three J's - whatchoo gon' do?"

edit: For a second I also thought this video was going to address just how vocal many people are around here about their dislike for the Smosh crowd. That would've made it more interesting!

Teoes:
edit: For a second I also thought this video was going to address just how vocal many people are around here about their dislike for the Smosh crowd. That would've made it more interesting!

Smosh targets a younger demographic, there isn't a ton of overlap between our audiences. The only such crossover I can think of is probably all the people who hate reading and only watch funny videos on our site[1]. This is why our new corporate overlords wanted the Escapist at all, for a new demographic - otherwise they would just have redundant properties, which is not exactly to anyone's interest. They don't want to muck with our audience or they will lose it along with the page views (they also own several women's fashion and non gaming community sites). We get to do our own thing with their financial support and blessing, along with a bit of cross promotion because there's people on any site who would be interested in other types of content (especially as the Smosh audience will hopefully mature into Escapists down the road :) ).

Their presence at the Expo is the same as any booth outside of a person's interest. They sit in their designated area and do interesting things for the people who are interested. But they won't be shoving unwanted things in the faces of people outside of their audience. They are still about gaming, and we plan on playing games with them. :)

This is like complaining about a vendor selling anime stuff when you're only at a show for games - you just don't go to that booth and then maybe play some games with a goofball who bought a creepy poster.

[1] Seriously, people really really hate to read, and we're a website founded on in-depth writing about the games industry

Kross:
snip just up there

Fair enough and thanks for the response. Only question that really remains at the moment - this maturation you mention from Smosh to Escapist.. given some recent events around here, is that maturation necessarily one-way only?

Teoes:
is that maturation necessarily one-way only?

Of course not. :)

Uriain:
BRILLIANT!! Janelle gets my vote for most awesome smacktalk ever on magic the gathering.

You, sir, are too kind :D

s0osleepie:
You, sir, are too kind :D

You, madam, are scary :P

in a good way

So are the LRR people getting in on this (well those that are there). They are pretty big Magic people.

Well as long as it's limited format like drafting or sealed. The only constructed format that most of them (cept Alex) play is commander.

Though even if it is constructed I bet they'd like to get in on it in at least an announcer level. They've done official announcing for WotC before.

Eleuthera:

You, madam, are scary :P

in a good way

Eric the Orange:
So are the LRR people getting in on this (well those that are there). They are pretty big Magic people.

Yep, Graham will be hosting.

That was great! Magic is great! You guys are great! Everything is just great right now.

If I didn't know what MtG was, I would have thought this video was about an angry little pixie threatening people with her pixie magic.

Nothing beats a bit of good old fashioned Smacktalk!

Also, how short is Janelle? Either that or Josh and Justin are giants

-M

Ohlookit'sMatty:

Giants! The lot of them!!

I am 5'1 and 3/4'' of concentrated awesome ;)

s0osleepie:

Ohlookit'sMatty:

Giants! The lot of them!!

I am 5'1 and 3/4'' of concentrated awesome ;)

Well I could see some of that concentrated awesome leaking out in this video, magic card flipping a prime example // Go Team Concentrated Awesome!

-M

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here