Escapist Podcast: 110: Diablo 3, Next Mass Effect & PS4

110: Diablo 3, Next Mass Effect & PS4

This week, Diablo 3 shuts down its auction house, the next Mass Effect is on track and PS4 can't fail.

Watch Video

Guys guys... The Auction House isn't closed until next year. :P Come on!

Also, wasn't Watch Dogs a launch title for the PS4?

Ferisar:
Guys guys... The Auction House isn't closed until next year. :P Come on!

Also, wasn't Watch Dogs a launch title for the PS4?

Yup, Watch Dogs is (because it's also avail on the PS3, XBOX360 and PC) and Beyond Two Souls isn't a PS4 launch title, it's for the PS3.

Also, JAAAAYSOOOON!

"Someone should make a Mass Effect mod for like, Sins of a Solar Empire or something."

*cough* http://www.moddb.com/mods/mass-effect-dawn-of-the-reapers *cough*

Just wanted to point out that the torture part in GTA V was not a cutscene, the player have to press buttons to torture the guy. I'm slightly disturbed by the scene, but it's not so outrageous that anyone should make a stink about it.

Maybe we aren't all quite as desensitized to violence and torture in gaming as you are?

Im waiting for a game that is realistic enough to match the shit that goes on in the world, video games are still too watered down. Hell, video games don't even match crappy TV shows in violence, we need to step it up.

If there's one thing I hate in podcasts, it's when people talk about a bunch of shit they havent seen or played - then hearing them state how they would do things differently.

Kristian Fischer:
Maybe we aren't all quite as desensitized to violence and torture in gaming as you are?

I guess so. But there are many games with mature elements, even in the Last of Us has a torture scene.

PODCAST CREW -

5:19

"hitler claimed self defense-"

Hitler DID in fact claim self defense, historically, before invading Poland. It was called the Gleiwitz incident. Nazi SS soldiers posed as Polish troopers and destroyed a German Radio tower, 31 August 1939. The ruse proved sufficient justification to push his enthralled nation of people into starting the largest global war, yet.

32:43

"No Kinect on PC... *good* ..."

The kinect, to my mind is the result of some bizarre product made and marketted exclusively to the wrong demographic, speaking as gamers... hardcore, call it whatever - people who follow gaming regularly and participate. Kinect never caught on with them....

But you'd be surpised what the PC community has been interested in doing with this curious, high fidelity sensor package Microsoft have made. Mark my words, Microsoft will keep developing their sensor package hardware and software and if they have any goddamn sense should sell the thing individually, sans XBoxOne. I've personally seen them used for everything from home security to controlling sound/music, to giving LEGO robots / AI's a way to see and hear the world. Microsoft provided a good service with the Kinect but selling it as a game interface to gamers was ridiculous.

38.22-ish

Ultimately, I feel Jim Sterling described him best as Hunter Thompson by way of every Jack Nicholson performance. Regarding the amnesty group against torture - calling things out it what they do and I doubt they're interested in a nuanced dissection of the scene. Rockstar might have inadvertently thrown them a bone, with a big media 'oh dear' about a torture scene to talk about, with no human cost.

II2:
PODCAST CREW -

5:19

"hitler claimed self defense-"

Hitler DID in fact claim self defense, historically, before invading Poland. It was called the Gleiwitz incident. Nazi SS soldiers posed as Polish troopers and destroyed a German Radio tower, 31 August 1939. The ruse proved sufficient justification to push his enthralled nation of people into starting the largest global war, yet.

32:43

"No Kinect on PC... *good* ..."

The kinect, to my mind is the result of some bizarre product made and marketted exclusively to the wrong demographic, speaking as gamers... hardcore, call it whatever - people who follow gaming regularly and participate. Kinect never caught on with them....

But you'd be surpised what the PC community has been interested in doing with this curious, high fidelity sensor package Microsoft have made. Mark my words, Microsoft will keep developing their sensor package hardware and software and if they have any goddamn sense should sell the thing individually, sans XBoxOne. I've personally seen them used for everything from home security to controlling sound/music, to giving LEGO robots / AI's a way to see and hear the world. Microsoft provided a good service with the Kinect but selling it as a game interface to gamers was ridiculous.

My personal favorite interesting use of a kinect is the kinect + sandbox.

Edited my above post a few times. READ IT.

More Update. Reread.

PODCAST Crew - Any of you: Give me feedback in the comments or personal messages. Don't have me write in for nothing. I wanna hear your thoughts.

One thing to mention with Diablo 3 for the PC, the AH isn't going anywhere until the end of March 2014, which I am thinking is when the new loot system will be released for the game as well. I went back to play the game for that was one of the things I didn't like about it and found it still to be there after the announcement.

There are a lot of games I don't play console to include Minecraft ^^'

The Torture scene in GTA V is NOT a cutscene.

It's quicktime events, that I only got though - the dental part - by turning the sound off and looking fixedly at the on-screen instructions.

It dose not show torture in a positive light in the slightest, it shows a man - a self confessed psychopath no less - inflicting horrible suffering upon an innocent man at the behest of a corrupt and morally bankrupt FIB agent. He dose it because he's told to do it, and because he's f*ed up enough to enjoy it. But when he's told to "dispose" of the victim, he refuses to kill the man and instead takes him to the airport so that he can flee the country.

The information gathered from the man is vague, its accuracy questionable and ultimately it could have been gathered by simply questioning the man using the right (non violent) techniques. It's made blatantly clear that the torture was un-needed and probably served no purpose but to get another potentially innocent man killed.

It also shines more light on Trevor's morality; he's just fine inflicting suffering on somebody when ordered to do so, but only because he enjoys doing it. When he's ordered to kill the guy without reason by somebody who he doesn't respect, he goes out of his way to save the guys life. And at the same time exposes just how morally bankrupt the FIB agent organising it is.

Vie:
The Torture scene in GTA V is NOT a cutscene.

It dose not show torture in a positive light in the slightest, it shows a man - a self confessed psychopath no less - inflicting horrible suffering upon an innocent man at the behest of a corrupt and morally bankrupt FIB agent. He dose it because he's told to do it, and because he's f*ed up enough to enjoy it. But when he's told to "dispose" of the victim, he refuses to kill the man and instead takes him to the airport so that he can flee the country.

The information gathered from the man is vague, its accuracy questionable and ultimately it could have been gathered by simply questioning the man using the right (non violent) techniques. It's made blatantly clear that the torture was un-needed and probably served no purpose but to get another potentially innocent man killed.

It also shines more light on Trevor's morality; he's just fine inflicting suffering on somebody when ordered to do so, but only because he enjoys doing it. When he's ordered to kill the guy without reason by somebody who he doesn't respect, he goes out of his way to save the guys life. And at the same time exposes just how morally bankrupt the FIB agent organising it is.

This is what people fail to miss before they cause a hooha, that seen is satire basically going 'Hey look this is bad, look how bad it is!'. Only problem here is maybe it is done a little too well and people fail to see past the shock of torture.

serious biscuit:

This is what people fail to miss before they cause a hooha, that seen is satire basically going 'Hey look this is bad, look how bad it is!'. Only problem here is maybe it is done a little too well and people fail to see past the shock of torture.

I had a hard time with GTAIV with the combination of satire and realism and from the reviews I have been seeing it could the same thing with GTAV and this scene specifically.

The idea of the overheat system in Mass Effect was that of a resource to manage. Similar to overheating in the Mechwarrior games. Or... mana. The few seconds it takes for you to wait for the weapon to cool down (if you didn't overheat it) would be the same amount of time it would take to reload a "clip" in other shooters/action games.

When I read about the torture scene beforehand, I was worried about it but this scene does a very efficient job of showing you the inside Trevor's psyche. He's not a nice man, and we're not meant to empathise with him very often at all, but it shows us his twisted sense of morality. He is immoral, not amoral. There are things which make him tick.

How very, very sad that so few of you didn't enjoy Mass Effect. :( I'll grant that the first one who its issues, especially with the inventory which quickly became bloated and difficult to manage. But the overheating system had a point. It forced you to take your shots and play it tactically, alternating shots and powers, and most importantly... not going in guns blazing like some moron with a deathwish. ;) The second game was definitely an improvement, although I kinda missed the overheating system which they traded for clips (I hated the clip hunting, and from a lore point of view, going back to clips made absolutely no sense). The third game was even better, and to this day, I can't think of it, or listen to the soundtrack without having my stomach in ropes. Sure the ending was a bit disappointing, but it was one heck of a ride.
I'm curious about the next Mass Effect, and there definitely are a whole lot of stories to tell that aren't Shepard's. But I'll be withholding judgment until we have something tangible. Which definitely isn't the case yet.

About Star Wars origin stories... Sure, why not, I guess. What I'd really, really like to see, however, is a movie adaptation of KotOR. Preferably with a female Revan... ^_^ A girl can dream, right? Even more so than for Mass Effect, there are a boatload of stories to be told.

As for GTA... Frankly, I bought a whole bunch of them on Steam, from the first one to 4, including San Andreas and Vice City, tested them all, and... GTA just isn't for me. Which is odd, because I loved Saints Row the Third. Because it just didn't take itself seriously and was all about the fun. GTA5 is just a disappointment. It's all my husband and parents (all non gamers) hear about, and all they're mentioning to me. Frustrating when there are so many great games out there to talk about.

I have to say I really disagree with your 24-torture argument. I think it's despicable to show torture being used as a horrible but last resort by good people. That if anything is glorifying torture. Showing torture being done for the heck of it by a psycho I think is the better way. It isn't a reliable method, it's something used by madmen trying to feel powerful.

The only game I'll play with strangers is L4D2. I play it every night and it's the only game for me where playing with strangers is fun because you know you MUST all work as a team, otherwise you're screwed. You can't team kill, you can't win above your teammates, you can't ditch your teammates because it's your funeral and it's in your best interest to keep them well armed and healed if only because you might need them to survive. I feel like it's a well balanced co-op.
When it comes to MMOs, I don't mind playing with strangers BUT then you run into problems like people stealing your kills or exp., ditching you, being rude or useless, etc. I agree, though. With MMOs, I like to take my time and explore every single nook. If I'm with my friends (Which is never), I know they'll be patient or non-douchey. It's not the same with strangers.

Regarding GTAV, like someone said, Trevor is immoral, not amoral. As much a dick the game paints him out to be, he still doesn't kill the man. He knows killing people is fun and, as much as he may enjoy torturing people, he knows torturing was unnecessary. It's about the message that sends to society. It makes you question whether the torture was the right thing to do and whether the government is entitled to torture people, good or bad, just to get what they want. Pretty much, does the end justify the means?

Yeah I have the same thoughts as above about their discussion of torture.

This is your country. We do torture but as long as we feel bad about it its fine?

Trevor doing it is the perfect comment to torture. He's psychotic, evil, crazy but really smart. With him doing it no can question the evilness of torture.

With some idiot supposed good guy from 24 torturing people will feel fine as long as he felt bad about after, and they go on and forget. And their happy that their government goes on torturing to supposedly save them because they surely feel bad about it.

These people whom are doing the torture in real life probably are enjoying it or their ambivalent. The best way to comment on things, to make people wake up is to portray it as it is. Its not to provide some sort of relief or excuse, you know some sort of way to get out of the horror of it.

The torture in the game is not nice and not comfortable to watch at all, that's why its genius.

I have to point out one particular point of contention I have with this pdocast. I'm not really a fan of the idea that it's somehow wrong or creepy if you play as a female character in an MMO for a long length of time but don't disclose that you're actually a male. I don't see that as creepy at all. You may be playing in character or you may not, but it really doesn't make any difference. The creepy people are really the ones to whom it makes a big dffierence if you're actually a female or not. The podcast came around to that sort of line of thinking as the discussion continued, but I feel it was wrong for the person who made that comment to not be called out on it.

awdrifter:
Just wanted to point out that the torture part in GTA V was not a cutscene, the player have to press buttons to torture the guy.

Yeah, between that and the Diablo 3 AH not being taken out yet.. seems more research should have gone into this podcast before such definitive statements were made.

Come on catching up with Escapist podcast was a cakewalk. Now podtoid, thats almost 300 episodes, that was a challenge!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here