Kill Your Darlings

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Kill Your Darlings

Oh no! PLOT DEVELOPMENT!

Read Full Article

And yet Breaking Bad is considered one of the best shows ever. :)

Calling it now: Erin dies at the end of the next series.

I have never seen anyone kill off main characters with the casual indifference of George R. R. Martin. Although not my favorite author, I enjoy his visceral writing style. It's not surprising when one considers the fact that the Martin, a medieval historian, takes great inspiration from the English War of the Roses. Life was cheap in the middle ages--and still is--and lords and legends were killed off just as quickly as they emerged.

Also, having read 4 of his books, I didn't really think that he could "shock" me anymore, boy was I wrong--those who have read the book know what I am talking about.

Heh...I like "Future episodes" bit. One can only hope...

So you stop watching because of good writing?

OMG you killed that poor bowl of innocent popcorn he was my fav character-That it I'm never reading critical miss ever again >_<

Chaosritter:
And yet Breaking Bad is considered one of the best shows ever. :)

My response will illustrate my opinion: "The Lanisters send their regards"

Erin is so immature. You should only stop following a series if they do something truly unforgivable, like discussing racism in videogames.
Waited a LONG time to avoid spoilers Grey

Thanks.

DVS BSTrD:

Thanks.

Ahh but the comic doesn't say what characters were killed off. So no spoilers.

Remus:

DVS BSTrD:

Thanks.

Ahh but the comic doesn't say what characters were killed off. So no spoilers.

Well I even though I actually missed the last half the episode thanks to shitty American internet service, I'd read all the books last fall. But otherwise I'm always spoiling things for myself.

Giest4life:
I have never seen anyone kill off main characters with the casual indifference of George R. R. Martin. Although not my favorite author, I enjoy his visceral writing style. It's not surprising when one considers the fact that the Martin, a medieval historian, takes great inspiration from the English War of the Roses. Life was cheap in the middle ages--and still is--and lords and legends were killed off just as quickly as they emerged.

Also, having read 4 of his books, I didn't really think that he could "shock" me anymore, boy was I wrong--those who have read the book know what I am talking about.

Nothing immature about stopping watching a show or reading a book if you don't like the plot.
I stop reading books for lot of reasons, i don't like characters, plot twists seem stupid, jokes are horrible, why would death of the characters i was interested in be of the table?

I've never stopped watching a show just because they killed a character I like. Usually it's because there was a decline in quality after a character death, like in Misfits. The dynamic having been altered so thoroughly as to make it no longer interesting.

That said, I did stop giving a shit about The Walking Dead (My entire social circle is obsessed so I couldn't stop) after they prematurely and stupidly killed one of the most important characters from the comics. The Ron Weasley to Rick's Harry Potter, basically. I was fine with the other little diversions from the continuity, but there was no way the show could keep following the established story without this guy. That's totally fine, but I wanted to watch The Walking Dead, and it couldn't be that any more.

I guess it helped that the show turned to shit shortly after anyway, but that was still a huge deal-breaker for me.

nyysjan:
Nothing immature about stopping watching a show or reading a book if you don't like the plot.
I stop reading books for lot of reasons, i don't like characters, plot twists seem stupid, jokes are horrible, why would death of the characters i was interested in be of the table?

My rule of thumb for any book is that if it doesn't catch my interest within three chapters, I stop reading it. TV shows also tend to get three episodes unless the first one is really bad. I'll give a movie 30 minutes.

Mcoffey:
I've never stopped watching a show just because they killed a character I like. Usually it's because there was a decline in quality after a character death, like in Misfits. The dynamic having been altered so thoroughly as to make it no longer interesting.

That said, I did stop giving a shit about The Walking Dead (My entire social circle is obsessed so I couldn't stop) after they prematurely and stupidly killed one of the most important characters from the comics. The Ron Weasley to Rick's Harry Potter, basically. I was fine with the other little diversions from the continuity, but there was no way the show could keep following the established story without this guy. That's totally fine, but I wanted to watch The Walking Dead, and it couldn't be that any more.

I guess it helped that the show turned to shit shortly after anyway, but that was still a huge deal-breaker for me.

Who did they kill off that ruined Walking Dead for you? I'm really racking my brain trying to think who hasn't out lived their comic counter part and I'm not coming up with a whole lot. Admittedly it's been a while since I've read the comics.

Super Not Cosmo:

Mcoffey:

Who did they kill off that ruined Walking Dead for you? I'm really racking my brain trying to think who hasn't out lived their comic counter part and I'm not coming up with a whole lot. Admittedly it's been a while since I've read the comics.

The constant killing off of main characters in the book series made it really hard to get invested into. The books are good, but I really don't see why people put them at the top of best of lists, George R.R. Martin is barely in the top 10 authors.

Also, just wait till they get to the end of 'A Dance with Dragons'.

Giest4life:

I'd argue it's a bit vague, and, considering certain other things going on, I don't think we can say that's certainly the case until the next book.

Arrogancy:

Giest4life:

I'd argue it's a bit vague, and, considering certain other things going on, I don't think we can say that's certainly the case until the next book.

That's true, but it's set up to the point that it seems only magic can prevent it...

Mcoffey:

Super Not Cosmo:

That decision was caused by the fact that the actor wanted out of the show so they killed him off early.

Wait. People liked the King in the North? Why? He was pretty much a non-entity for me, he and his half-brother were pretty much the least interesting characters. Was it because he had a pretty wife and was trying to do things for less-dickish reasons?

Did you put a gun against his head?

Pull the trigger, now he's dead?

Giest4life:
-snip-

Ukomba:

Arrogancy:

Giest4life:

That's true, but it's set up to the point that it seems only magic can prevent it...

Sidney Buit:

People don't have to like a character to be surprised by their death. Man characters tend not to die that often. Not that it should surprise anyone at this point. George Martin LOVES to kill of characters. I expect, by the last book in the series (if he ever finishes it), none of the original cast of characters will be left alive and we'll be following characters introduced in books 3+.

Nielas:

Mcoffey:

Super Not Cosmo:

That decision was caused by the fact that the actor wanted out of the show so they killed him off early.

Was that it? I was under the impression there were budget cuts and they couldn't afford to keep him, which was also why they were on that damn farm the entire season.

EDIT: Ah, it looks like it was a bit of both. There was a budget cut around when they fired Frank Darabont, which lead to him wanting out of his contract.

Well, to be fair, people act like George RR Martin invented many things. . .

Do not get me wrong, I do like the novels, as a whole, but they are largely inspired by Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Water Margin, two great classics of Chinese literature. In short, he is not as surprising and original as some people make him out to be.

Azahul:

Ukomba:

Arrogancy:

If GRRM really want to shock me, have a 'good' character kill Littlefinger without him seeing it coming.

Giest4life:

This is not a confirmed death. Just sayin.

OT: I don't know, the big part is a lot of shows just kill people because they like to kill people. There does come a time when audience apathy kicks in. (The red wedding is getting close for a lot of people. If Tyrion and Danerys die I don't think anyone would watch the show anymore)

Ukomba:

Azahul:

Ukomba:

Ukomba:

Arrogancy:

Giest4life:

I didn't really get that impression
[spoiler="Even more spoiler"]
He's stabbed multiple times. It's not easy to survive but certainly managable. Considering one character came back after getting their throad slit.
Besides he sees his wound "boiling" and we know Melisandre is near and we know that red priests do know magic, so...
[/spoilers]

Giest4life:

That's a development from the 5th book. Maybe you should edit your post.

Giest4life:
I have never seen anyone kill off main characters with the casual indifference of George R. R. Martin.

I don't really consider the man who had to write the Red Wedding chapter last because he was too emotionally distraught, then cried over the characters he'd just killed, "casually indifferent".

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here