Escape to the Movies: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

MovieBob gives us a few good reasons to check out Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.

Watch Video

Hey, the gang's all there and watching a group of them traverse an alien landscape sounds like it'd be worth a good chuckle.

Nice to know it wasn't a flop. Will see.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was really that big a deal?

And it's nice that your post credits have at least moved on from Superman.

Well, perhaps just being good is good enough. Not everything has to be mind-blowing and thought-provoking, sometimes you just want something to be fun because fun things are good.

As someone who, at 29, still can't get enough of stupid puns, this film has been on my to watch list since the first trailer. While this was a good review, there was one thing I didn't like about it.

Its funny and fun to watch and sometimes that's enough

The problem with a lot of films today is they seem to forget that "Funny and Fun to Watch" is always enough. Who gives a shit whether or not it's high art or has a message? I'm more likely to watch this repeatedly then 2001 (watched it, loved it, but never again) or The Dark Knight (God sake someone smile).

The ludicrous Avengers get a shitty tv spin-off show, Bob is intrigued. The at least equally good/stupid Batman franchise get a spin-off show, it's OVER-EXPOSURE.

Cloudy had some fantastic moments and genuinely funny gags (for me 'that jell-o' was the killer line), but the essential premise just annoyed me too much to let me enjoy it. Even given that ultimately the fast food turned into a disaster, the film still felt a lot like a love letter to the joys of fast food, and when all that food was falling, I simply couldn't stop myself from feeling grossed out by it, even when all the characters were loving it. I mean - hamburgers and/or ice cream falling from the sky? Ewwww! Nothing about that sounds fun or pleasant to me.

Also, it was yet one more animated movie about a kid with Daddy issues. I mean, seriously, Hollywood, do *none* of your fathers love you? Just in my top-of-the-head list of other animated movies featuring problematic father-son relationships I can think of Finding Nemo, How to Train Your Dragon, Happy Feet, Ratatouille, Kung Fu Panda, Arthus Christmas, ...

Dangit, MovieBob, I don't care what you thought of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 or Rush, I wanted to know what you think of Gravity. The trailers are junk, the reviews are sterling. Is this something I'd want to actually see, or is it just critic candy?

EDIT: Nevermind, that's coming out NEXT week.

Hey, if this Gordon series gets anything from Gotham Central, I'm a happy man.

Wait...is Gordon seriously getting his own show, or was that just a joke parodying the whole Agents of SHIELD thing?

...I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I loved the first one! I'll probably check this one out once it comes to Bluray/netflix.

MatsVS:
The ludicrous Avengers get a shitty tv spin-off show, Bob is intrigued. The at least equally good/stupid Batman franchise get a spin-off show, it's OVER-EXPOSURE.

I'm not entirely sure it's a stab at Batman because, in a way, Gordon's show won't actually have any Batman. And if anything I think Gordon does deserve some fleshing out. Batman is overexposed, indeed, but there are some characters in that universe still worth exploring. Gordon I think could be one of them. I hope Bob realizes that.

Also, I would really like to see this movie but for some reason animation flicks often only have a Dutch translation running in Dutch and Belgian theaters. Which is a pain in the ass because the original voices are pretty much always superior.

I loved the first film and although it seems this one may have been under cut by just how complete its predecessor was i'm glad it's at least a good movie.

So i'm still the only animation geek who generally enjoyed Cars huh?...

I'm so cold and alone out here...

MatsVS:

If there were a DC universe spin-off, and not just a Batman franchise spin-off, then Bob would probably be more excited about it than he is. Or I am for that matter.

For example - DC has Arrow, which I haven't heard Bob gritch about.

It's entirely possible that the Gordon series will be enough about the fringes of weirdness, and build up Gotham, in a way as to not re-tread the batman ground. It could be excellent. I don't have high hopes it will, but it could be.

The first movie is actually good? Really thought it was just going to be poor and cluttered with pop culture references that don't do anything.

Gonna watch it now.

PunkRex:
I loved the first film and although it seems this one may have been under cut by just how complete its predecessor was i'm glad it's at least a good movie.

In the past Pixar was the "could do no wrong" animation studio, but now they are "Usually pretty darned good studio".
Cars wasn't horrible, but they did crank out a dubious sequel right? And I thought Brave was pretty good, just not SUPER AMAZING.

Strain42:
Wait...is Gordon seriously getting his own show, or was that just a joke parodying the whole Agents of SHIELD thing?

...I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Yes he is. The best way to describe it is that it's Gotham Central, which was a comic book series focusing on the Gotham Police Department.

Yes Bob, you dislike GTA V, we get it.

Just like we know you masturbate to everything Nintendo releases and you want to have a Robin on the silver screen again.

There is absolutely no reason for you to constantly remind us of that.

Hang on now Bob, Cars was nowhere near bad. I can understand if people didn't love it and thought it was just passable, but bad? No way.

As for CWACOM, I still haven't seen the first one. I read a review somewhere that said it wasn't that good and I never got around to watch it. Will have to correct that soon.

PunkRex:

I liked Cars, it definitely wasn't one of their best movies, but I equally enjoyed it just as much as A Bug's Life. I too don't get why suddendly so many people regard those two movies as "the" worst Pixar films ever since they lost their shine with Brave :/

OT: The other day I was watching the first Meatballs movie on Netflix with my nieces and I was definitely surprised at how enjoyably entertaining it was. If the sequel is "not as good as the first one, but still pretty good", then I definitely know what to expect about it :)

'Beefalo'?

Been playing Don't Starve, have we, Bob?

Trucken:
Hang on now Bob, Cars was nowhere near bad. I can understand if people didn't love it and thought it was just passable, but bad? No way.

He was attacking Cars 2. On the other hand, why everyone seems to hate Brave, I have no idea.

Funnily enough, the original children's book caught my eye in recent years, before the first movie was ever made, and I read it out loud to my class at one point. What's also weird is that I thought the first movie was a Nickelodeon movie, but now I'm seeing advertisements out the wazoo... on Cartoon Network. Either way, after hearing about how good the first movie is and how good this one is, I might just check them both out. Also, yeah, Pixar's lost it's luster... especially after hearing that two of their movies have been delayed. What's going on over there?

I kind of wanted a Rush video as having already seen it and you positive written piece, this film should be seen more. It'll do more than fine worldwide but I wonder if star power alone can save it from the usual American's like sport only played in America mentality.

DVS BSTrD:

And it's nice that your post credits have at least moved on from Superman.

It's now GTA V... apparently. Just hope users don't take the bait.

PunkRex:

No, I saw it right after my breakup years ago and quite enjoyed it. It's not the best movie in the world, but it is the only time the voices of George Carlin, Paul Newman and Larry The Cable Guy all shared the screen at some point. I find that to be an impressive feat, being that Larry The Cable Guy's shtick felt suitable to the role. Also, it was kind of cute, so you are not alone.

I'm not an animation geek, however. You are alone on that one. Sorry.

EDIT: I never saw the first Cloudy, but the previews for the sequel looks hilarious, so maybe I'll watch it when it comes around my town. Great review, Bob.

Does anyone else think the "Hey the food has turned into animals" thing is a bit retarded.

A lot of it is already animals (though dead obviously)

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait . . .

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs was GOOD? Fucking 'ell, I totally dismissed that as a possibility. Not because it wasn't Pixar (I actually agree that it's time to stop praising Pixar as the greatest animation studio in America and have ever since Cars 2), but because it was a dumb-looking CGI movie based on a book that seemed to be in the same vein as all the CGI Doctor Seuss movies have been, which were all shit. Especially the Lorax.

. . .

Are you lying to me, Bob?

varmintx:

Trucken:

He was attacking Cars 2. On the other hand, why everyone seems to hate Brave, I have no idea.

Oh. Well, I can kinda get that. Cars 2 was a disapointment. And I agree with you, I liked Brave. It wasn't a great movie, but it certainly was a good one.

RJ Dalton:

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs was GOOD? Fucking 'ell, I totally dismissed that as a possibility. Not because it wasn't Pixar (I actually agree that it's time to stop praising Pixar as the greatest animation studio in America and have ever since Cars 2), but because it was a dumb-looking CGI movie based on a book that seemed to be in the same vein as all the CGI Doctor Seuss movies have been, which were all shit. Especially the Lorax.

. . .

Cloudy has ALOT of charm and its slap-stick humor is similar to Tom & Jerry, there's a part with Flint and Sam on a dock that cracks me up every time.

MB202:
What's also weird is that I thought the first movie was a Nickelodeon movie, but now I'm seeing advertisements out the wazoo... on Cartoon Network.

They're from Sony. The guys who made Surf's Up and Open Season, and picked up the license to Aardman (the Wallace and Gromit guys) recently. I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon doesn't run their own CG movie studio. They don't really need to since their parent company already owns DreamWorks.

RJ Dalton:

. . .

It was all right. I remember it being funny in a wacky sort of way and constantly making fun of its own ridiculousness. Come to think of it, we should look into watching it again...

PunkRex:
Cloudy has ALOT of charm and its slap-stick humor is similar to Tom & Jerry, there's a part with Flint and Sam on a dock that cracks me up every time.

Just for reference a lot is two words. If it's one word, it means you are giving a certain amount of resources for a specific purpose (IE allotting $50 in your budget each month for entertainment, etc).

And like I said, I totally dismissed that possibility.

varmintx:

Trucken:

Brave had some nice ideas but it was kinda broken. The plot just meandered about, the witch had about 2 minutes of screen time which she used to kick the plot off and was never seen again. The bear was cool but, again, had very little screen time, he could have been a great, intimidating villian but just kind of turned up when he needed to then left again.

Brave's pretty flawed, but i'm grateful for it as it kind of kicked the whole Disney Princess idea in the shins, something Mulan should have done or Megara could have done if GIVEN THE CHANCE, DAMN YOU DISNEY!!!

RJ Dalton:

PunkRex:

Just for reference a lot is two words. If it's one word, it means you are giving a certain amount of resources for a specific purpose (IE allotting $50 in your budget each month for entertainment, etc).

And like I said, I totally dismissed that possibility.

I see...

RJ Dalton:

. . .

Bob's not lying on this one. The first Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was a surprisingly fun little movie. Completely absurd, but in such a fun and entertaining way that it is eminently rewatchable. And so densely packed with visual delight that you find something new and clever in it each time you watch it.

I'm not sure what to make about the second. Although I do find it mildly amusing that the Sam the Weather Girl character is dressed exactly the same as Laura Dern's one from Jurrasic Park. I always prefer clever references to beat you about the head and shoulders type ones.

The problem with any Commissioner Gordon show is always going to be Brubaker and Rucka's "Gotham Central" books, and comparisons to the prior planned TV adaption of those.

I saw a little bit of the first movie- really did like it despite I need to see the whole thing to get a better idea if I love it or not... but, I also plan on seeing this. Just looks really creative and good enough in my books to try and enjoy myself.

Sadly no one wants to see it with me. My brothers are already moved out, my parents aren't into animated movies, and none of my good friends want to ether. Sucks being a guy who has a passion for animation :(

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here