Jimquisition: Vertigo

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 20 NEXT

Vertigo

Let's look for a playable woman protagonist in a videogame that doesn't rely on the same pool of restrictive stereotypes as every other playable woman protagonist.

Watch Video

If looks doesnt matter, why cant women be "attractive" so to speak?
Why is the concept of Saints Row and other types of games such as MMOs completely discarded because theyre our creation not the developers?
Can then only good female characters exist if theyre created by the developer and not the player?

So the only female character in gaming that breaks out of the usual female character template is a fucking DINOSAUR? That's pretty sad Games Industry.

I don't know about you guys, but Vertigo's pretty sexy. Check out dem glutes!

Hmmm how about Xel'lotath from Eternal Darkness... then again... 'she' and Vertigo have too much in common.

http://eternaldarkness.wikia.com/wiki/Xel%27lotath

What about Lizzie from Rampage?

Monxeroth:
Why is the concept of Saints Row and other types of games such as MMOs completely discarded because theyre our creation not the developers?
Can then only good female characters exist if they're created by the developer and not the player?

They can, Jim doesn't have a problem with that. The problem is that apparently they can't be anything else than attractive. That is a problem.

Well then that kind of defeats the purpose of it doesnt it :L

Especially if you take into the account that some games genuinelly do take part in for example ambiguous genders, multiple and or unspecified genders, Persona series being one of them and a lot of other japanese developed games, the west is kind of behind in that sense really.

So the question asked here really has multiple questions attached if you take into the account that it has to be black and white, one way or the other.

Think about the middlefinger given to gamers when faced with the fact that their asskicking protagonist of Metroid was in fact a girl, did that in any way actually affect the enjoyment of the game? No it did not and no it rarely can and no it rarely even should.

Arfreid:
Hmmm how about Xel'lotath from Eternal Darkness... then again... 'she' and Vertigo have too much in common.

http://eternaldarkness.wikia.com/wiki/Xel%27lotath

She is not player controlled.

After Other M, I bet there's a decent audience for a game where you get to play as Mother Brain.

Monxeroth:

Can we all stop with the "If 'X' doesn't matter..." defense? It's completely ridiculous.

'X' does matter, else we wouldn't have so many examples of one subset of 'X' yet so few of the other. It clearly matters yet it damn well shouldn't, and the only way we're going to stop it from being important is to have more diversity.

And diversity matters.

Tombsite:

Monxeroth:
Can then only good female characters exist if they're created by the developer and not the player?

They can, Jim doesn't have a problem with that. The problem is that apparently they can't be anything else than attractive. That is a problem.

Thats up for debate however and not an objective fact, especially if you just consider that to be the one part that matters to a player, regardless if its being marketed to you as such. Its a woman, shes attractive.
I like to compare this debate to the new steam controller rage:

oh my god look how bad this controller looks it must be shit.

While im thinking instead: I wonder what it feels like to use it for play though since i will use my controller for a game and not to look at.

I like to think that The Boss and Ammy fall into this category.

Have you seen The Boss? She's built like a fucking horse, and Ammy is...

Well she's Ammy!

DTWolfwood:

When she "dies" she turns back to human form, shuffling off screen in naked, blonde-haired, generally-attractive-as-far-as-we-can-tell form. So that might be why she doesn't count.

88chaz88:

Monxeroth:

Can we all stop with the "If 'X' doesn't matter..." defense? It's completely ridiculous.

'X' does matter, else we wouldn't have so many examples of one subset of 'X' yet so few of the other. It clearly matters yet it damn well shouldn't, and the only way we're going to stop it from being important is to have more diversity.

And diversity matters.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sarcasm

There ya go, the joke flew right over your head like WOOSH :U

DTWolfwood:

I'd say her origin (Past trauma) and true human form rule her out.

There's an indie game on the PC called The Cat Lady by Harvester Games with a female protagonist that pretty much qualifies. She's not exactly a strong female character as she's suicidal and borderline insane but she's a unique character with great motivation.
Seriously it's a great game and it's been green-lit on Steam.

Of Darkspore's 4 female characters, at least 3 of them fall under the same blanket as Vertigo. I'd argue the full four, but Andromeda is fairly feminine looking, and as near as I can tell from her back story is a bit of a goody goody.

http://darksporegame.wikia.com/wiki/Jinx

http://darksporegame.wikia.com/wiki/Seraph-XS

http://darksporegame.wikia.com/wiki/Arakna

What about Ammy? Or is she too attractive to count?

Monxeroth:

Tombsite:

Monxeroth:

Thats up for debate however and not an objective fact, especially if you just consider that to be the one part that matters to a player, regardless if its being marketed to you as such. Its a woman, shes attractive.

While im thinking instead: I wonder what it feels like to use it for play though since i will use my controller for a game and not to look at.

Look you can split hairs as much as you want, but it's pretty hard to deny that a massive majority of female characters are designed with the intention of people trying to make them look good in mind. And a good looking character isn't a bad thing, a lot of people really like Mitsuru from Persona 3 and she's hardly lacking, but good looking for female is become ing what "White, brown haired thirty something" is for male. There is nothing wrong with a character like that but the sheer number of them is ridiculous and something ELSE would be nice.

Daystar Clarion:

Well she's Ammy!

The Boss isn't a playable character nor a protagonist. She's a great character, to be sure, but not quite what Jim's talking about. I've got nothing on Amaterasu though. :)

In this thread I expect plenty of people to say that plenty of male characters are sexualized, completely ignoring the fact that they are male empowerment fantasies ( something to aspire to, rather than something to desire), where few-to-no female characters are female empowerment fantasies.

Daystar Clarion:

Well she's Ammy!

Amaterasu is a pretty good choice! She also, despite being a dog, has even some personality to her expressed via body language. That's more than you can say of Vertigo!

There is also the Broodmother from DOTA. She's really just a big spider though.

Just wanted to add this, Anita would hate this revelation a bit more than you Jim. She hates seeing women used as villian characters.

Mcoffey:

Daystar Clarion:

Well she's Ammy!

The Boss isn't a playable character nor a protagonist. She's a great character, to be sure, but not quite what Jim's talking about. I've got nothing on Amaterasu though. :)

In this thread I expect plenty of people to say that plenty of male characters are sexualized, completely ignoring the fact that they are male empowerment fantasies (ie, something to aspire to, rather than something to desire), where few-to-no female characters are female empowerment fantasies.

Well, I suppose she doesn't count if she's not playable...

Damn it!

Ammy, save me!

*falls back on Ammy point*

Huh. Your ideal woman is actually huge skank Jim. Don't think I haven't seen that victory pose. I will be damned if she wasn't turning her back just to show her lovely lady humps. Waving the tail if you will.

Well I was expecting Miss Pacman to appear then I realized she is just a distaff counter-part to her more popular male character and she doesn't really have motivations of her own and actually depicted with make up, high heel shoes and a boa in her concept arts.

Maybe Sarah Kerrigan in her new design but abominable high heels truly ruin that image...and inexplicably well preserved face and overall features that survived the mutation process.

A long way to go indeed...

Monxeroth:

I'm not even going to take it as sarcasm even after you claim it is. Seems like more of a copout than anything.

Yeah I too can not think of a single example. I was tempted to say Ellie from that bit where you play as her, but I suppose I'm only not thinking of her as attractive because she's too young for me to see her that way. She is the game's protagonist in my eyes though, but I can't honestly count her when she's only playable for an hour of it.

And discounting player made characters is important, because a fully rounded and crafted character as part of a linear narrative is dependant on things like gender, race, appearance and whether they go for Paragon or Renegade points. If the developers didn't create a character in a certain way (female, not conventionally attractive etc) then how can it possibly count as a progressive protagonist?

Still trying to think up more examples as I type. Maybe there's some fairly obscure indie games or Japanese stuff that I don't know of... But as far as Western AAA I'm drawing a thousand blanks.

Monxeroth:

Tombsite:

Monxeroth:

Wow you really do not have much of a point here besides straw-men but lets just pick it apart anyway.
If a woman can only have a certain type look that limits options. As having more options is always better (this by the way is an objective fact) then having less is at least not good. If we look at the male protagonists and see that they have, in fact, benefited from diversity it stands to reason that female protagonists would as well. The most likely conclusion is therefore that only attractive females is bad (but if you have to be facetious, and you most likely will be, then there is a very small chance that this does not matter).

erttheking:

Monxeroth:

Tombsite:

Look you can split hairs as much as you want, but it's pretty hard to deny that a massive majority of female characters are designed with the intention of people trying to make them look good in mind. And a good looking character isn't a bad thing, a lot of people really like Mitsuru from Persona 3 and she's hardly lacking, but good looking for female is become ing what "White, brown haired thirty something" is for male. There is nothing wrong with a character like that but the sheer number of them is ridiculous and something ELSE would be nice.

Truth=/=Urgency

While its debatably somewhat true, the impact it has or the urgency of said subject isnt objectively problematic in itself, because again i must ask the question in that case: Does the opposite matter/not matter, and if so, why/why not?

I havent denied anything but neither am i so gullible to simply accept a black and white scenario without contrast.
First of all the fallacy that appearently then according to most arguments vs this, is well, we get a "non-traditionally attractive female protagonist" and then to break it down first of all. Well what constitutes one ideal over another, as you must be aware both male and female gamers find some "non-traditionally attractive males" to be appealing in games. The other problem comes with ambiguous genders and well, if it is a female but we cant tell, is it a female? If a tree falls in the forest without anyone around to hear it does it still make a noise, basically?
Then the third question of course becomes, protagonist, according to me? you? what about anti-heroes then or npcs or other characters in a game that have equal amount of impact on the game as you the player does?

Daystar Clarion:

Mcoffey:

Daystar Clarion:

Well she's Ammy!

In this thread I expect plenty of people to say that plenty of male characters are sexualized, completely ignoring the fact that they are male empowerment fantasies (ie, something to aspire to, rather than something to desire), where few-to-no female characters are female empowerment fantasies.

Well, I suppose she doesn't count if she's not playable...

Damn it!

Ammy, save me!

*falls back on Ammy point*

She is a very pretty wolf spirit! Ain't no fleas or mange there!

88chaz88:

Monxeroth:

I'm not even going to take it as sarcasm even after you claim it is. Seems like more of a copout than anything.

Rationality can be found behind the door to your left.
Good luck in future posts and have a wonderful day

Seriously Jim? Vertigo aint attractive?1!?@???
I was hoping that magazine from last time had enlightened you.

Seriously now: :P . I actually would love a game where we get to be a giant Chtulu Cobra-esque monster that kills the world or something. That would be badass.

Still dont get why this is a "game" issue. Look at modelling, advertising, movies etc The whole size 0 thing. Even woman believe this crap when a mens mag showing woman in bikinis are given top shelf and black bagged, yet normal woman mags still have those photo shopped models with perfect looks etc.

I guess there is only one thing you can get out of this. Men dont care about age or looks. Grizzled or muscly or thin - men dont care. Men like sexy woman. Woman like strong sexy men. Same reason will woman play a game staring a 80 year old male? Its a non issue in my book. Make a compelling fun game where the character is a 60 year old woman, then i will play it. But also find me a woman that would play as a 60 year old and not a sexy 20 year old.

Maybe the issue is woman have been brainwashed by advertising to look young and sexy. By make up, music videos, adverts and models etc Not saying its right or wrong. Just thats how it is.

What do woman on escapist think?

<3 Primal Rage! Talon rocks! I have to admit, it scared 5-year old me more than Mortal Kombat 2 did, in the gore department.

OT, I just wish games had more context. In a world where the conflict controls the world like Gears of War, there's little reason for the women to look like total babes. In a rich or peaceful society, I could see more attractive people all around, since women (and men) would have the time and luxury to do so.

No protags here, but Fallout 3 portrayed this better than most in my book; it might be just the models, but I got the impression that atom-bomb-ruined DC did little to improve the looks of women.

Frankly I agree with those who bring up Amaterasu. Sure she's a very pretty character design (But then the whole game is a very pretty character design) but I don't think she really counts as "Traditionally attractive".

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 20 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here