Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Silliest Currencies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Silliest Currencies

Lisa gives us a great look at the silliest currencies in games.

Watch Video

That put a smile on my face.
Really needed a little fun.

Thanks Lisa

the Logistical nightmare that is Fallout's Caps deserves an honorable mention.

JRPGs always seem to make up weird names for their currency. You covered a lot of them but there's also examples like Zenny from the Breath of Fire series.

There was a game currency called pot but I can't remember which game had it. It was basically gold but I always found the thought of drugs as the base currency amusing.

"That will be 20 screws." Oh, I am SO quoting that out of context.
Very funny list, Lisa (and there ain't nothing wrong with gingers), and I loved Munch's Oddysee! That was the first Oddworld game I beat. Too bad my 1st XBOX 360 got the RROD, so now I can't finish my game of Conker. Harumph.

Sad day when meat from the Kingdom of Loathing is left off a list of silliest Currency.

What, not even a mention of the bottlecaps in the Fallout series? Nor the satisfying sound the game makes when you make a trade where caps are exchanged? Seriously, there was a period where I kept the ones from the beers I drank just in case.

Captcha is "how about lunch", which is interesting considering the date remark... *bashfully* I'd get you flowers, Lisa, if you want me to.

Now get this, in Anachronox they use this crazy currency called "loons"

I thought Fallout 3's caps would have made the list.

Sorry Lisa, I would buy you flowers but the shopkeeper would not accept my bottlecaps.

JPArbiter:

As far as currency goes, bottle caps is one of the stupidest. In a world where Metro 2033 exist, what is the excuse for their laziness.

Watch out Lisa, or you'll be inundated with flowers at the Expo.

How about Penny Arcade's Rainslick Precipice of Darkness? At one point you trade in "hobo meat".

mr_major:
Sad day when meat from the Kingdom of Loathing is left off a list of silliest Currency.

Beat me to it.

Also Lindens from Second Life, Bitcoins (no, seriously, they're just silly), and G from Chrono Trigger. Not gold, not gil, not gold pieces, just G.

When I saw the title, I knew there would be a Simpsons Gil joke.
Lisa did not disappoint.

And MS points should have been the real #1.

Goliath100:
Sorry Lisa, I would buy you flowers but the shopkeeper would not accept my bottlecaps.

JPArbiter:

As far as currency goes, bottle caps is one of the stupidest. In a world where Metro 2033 exist, what is the excuse for their laziness.

...because Fallout came out nine years before Metro 2033 was written (and 13 years before the game)? And because Fallout is comedic? -_-

Honourable mention should go to Magical Starsign's Bira. Which is a bilingual joke, so I should just go sit in the corner in shame, but in Sweden, where I'm from, Bira is somewhat outdated slang for Beer. So that's a thing.

Because I'm awesome and original and not at all late to the party, gonna pitch in for the absence of bottlecaps from Fallout and meat from KoL.

"I mean, you never bring me flowers..."

Better?

Also; no mention of Saints Row IV's Cache? I loved that little play on spellings.

mr_major:

Yeah, Kingdom of Loathing was one of the first games to pop into my head when I saw this video's title. I guess it's not widely enough known to be featured though.

I remember a friend of mine beat a briefcase bat for the first time and got a briefcase which contained a fat stack of cash. With the item description "Too bad you can't spend cash in The Kingdom of Loathing". That was simply brilliant.

I knew it would be Conker! The entire time I was just waiting for the talking cash, and boom! She did it! And it was glorious! That game was so damn good, I would say its not even funny, but it is. Ten kinds of funny in every bite. And money that not only talks back, but actively runs away and conker complains about a cheap gimmick to pad out game play? That's the highlight of video game comedy if you ask me.

Wait, I wasn't the only one that started saving bottle caps after playing fallout?

I had a draw full of them for years!!

I think my favourite video game currency is the Washer (those doughnut shape flat metal that you sometime put inbetween a scew) in Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. I think it's becasue I can easily see those being currency when some madman make it so in a post apocalypse world.

I'm pretty sure gil is meant as short form for guilder, a dutch gold coin.

Flatron W2241S:
Now get this, in Anachronox they use this crazy currency called "loons"

That's because, comically, Canadians dollars became the galactic currency. The one dollar Canadian coin has a Loon on it and as such became known as a Loonie.

I definitely think Microsoft points should be in first place, and it was a "real" currency.

Homestuck has Boondollars. Although it technically isn't a game, it does have game elements, and a proper adventure game is being made.
http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Boondollar

I knew Ratchet and Clank's bolts would make an appearance here. I like the idea that I'd use a hardware store for a currency exchange!
Loved that Conker topped it. Money that talks back is all the better. (also, I laughed at the MS Points).

I'm glad my money doesn't talk to me. ...not that I have a lot. ...I'm sad now.

Ukomba:

At least go with the original! :P

Fallout (The first!) Bottle caps.
And hitting the jackpot when you find a tipped over van that carried soda bottles. ^^

Vie:
Also; no mention of Saints Row IV's Cache? I loved that little play on spellings.

That's... not a play. The currency is not called cache. You get money FROM the cache.

I figured this list would be strange things to use as money rather than mostly just strange names for money. Surely there's 5 games that have physically silly money.

screws - Megaman
caps - Fallout
scarabs - Star Fox Adventures

That's just off the top of my head.

Vie:

cache (plural caches)

A store of things that may be required in the future, which can be retrieved rapidly, protected or hidden in some way.

metal arms is such a great game. washers for the masses!

Lisa Foiles:
Top 5 Silliest Currencies

Lisa gives us a great look at the silliest currencies in games.

Watch Video

5:00 0 _0 Uh...Ok Movin on,you mentioned gsld. You ever play the Tales games? If so, which is your fav?

I'd say that the Medi-gel from the first Mass Effect was the silliest. Sure the game had conventional credits to spend on most items, but using medi-gel as a resource for hacking locks and computer systems was stupendously silly. They crack jokes about it in Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC.

EXos:

Ukomba:

At least go with the original! :P

Fallout (The first!) Bottle caps.
And hitting the jackpot when you find a tipped over van that carried soda bottles. ^^

Ya, but I never did play Fallout 1 or 2.

like many others; honestly surprised fallout caps weren't on this list.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here