Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Silliest Currencies

Pages PREV 1 2

I'm going to add to the list of people disappointed by the omission of Fallout bottlecaps and thinking Lisa owes us an apology video.

Lisa! Goddamnit whats the name of that song that plays through-out this vid. I'm 99% sure it's a remix of Paper Planes but whose??

Caps aren't actually that bad as far as currencies go. Sure, they'd be hard to move around in large quantities, but that's what highly valuable objects like plasma rifles are for. On the plus side, they're small, uniform objects that are rare enough to hold value, hard to duplicate (since any newly made ones would look completely different), and not useful for anything else (so you don't end up using the limited supply on other stuff, causing massive deflation).

No fallout bottlecaps!? Never watching another episode :P

Denamic:

Vie:
Also; no mention of Saints Row IV's Cache? I loved that little play on spellings.

That's... not a play. The currency is not called cache. You get money FROM the cache.

Actually the currency IS called Cache, and it builds up in a Cache.

It's also a reference to a particular way of using memory in a computer - storing things in a Cache in the memory so they can be quickly retrieved. To store more things in that cache you make it larger - add more memory to it.

The in game currency therefore represented physical memory available to the player - explaining why you have an economy in the game at all. Your not paying out money to buy something, your loading things into your memory cache.

It's not a perfect analogy I know, since if you use something and then get rid of it you don't get the cache back, but that's what I got from playing the game.

JPArbiter:
the Logistical nightmare that is Fallout's Caps deserves an honorable mention.

Akytalusia:
like many others; honestly surprised fallout caps weren't on this list.

Anyone care to explain what's so ridiculous about using bottle caps for currency? It makes sense to me, they're a non-perishable finite resource that even looks a bit like a coin, except lighter.

Ukomba:

EXos:

Ukomba:
I thought Fallout 3's caps would have made the list.

At least go with the original! :P

Fallout (The first!) Bottle caps.
And hitting the jackpot when you find a tipped over van that carried soda bottles. ^^

Ya, but I never did play Fallout 1 or 2.

If you promise you'll get it next time it goes on sale on Gog or Steam; all is forgiven. :P

I was always fond of Tecmo's Deception series, which changed it's currency every game. First it was Ark, then it was called Dreak, and in Trapt the most recent entry a person traded in Warls.

I also like RE 4. I know that Pesetas is a real currency, but because of the way the game abbreviated it we always refered to them as "puh-TA-guahs."

"I mean, you never bring me flowers"
I hope this makes up for the flowers I've forgotten to bring
Keep being awesome, medear~

I still think Bitcoins are sillier than all of these currencies despite being "real".

The whole concept of a virtual currency created/mined by doing computations on a CPU is just mind boggling

Hitchmeister:
I'm going to add to the list of people disappointed by the omission of Fallout bottlecaps and thinking Lisa owes us an apology video.

All was forgiven when she listed buckazoids. I didn't think anyone these days remembers the Space Quest. Well, except those who take their handle from the game's protagonist... :P

Edit: Always loved the Fallout, though.

Huh, I was hoping to see Metro 2033's bullets make the list.

Though I usually just horded them till the end of the game and then used them like mad!

OlasDAlmighty:

JPArbiter:

Akytalusia:
like many others; honestly surprised fallout caps weren't on this list.

Anyone care to explain what's so ridiculous about using bottle caps for currency? It makes sense to me, they're a non-perishable finite resource that even looks a bit like a coin, except lighter.

they are bulky, prone to disfigurement, have an amorphous value (in the Capital Wasteland only Nuka Cola caps can be used, in New Vegas Nuka and Sunset Sasparella caps are both fine, but neither use Beer Caps) and if the right equipment is salvaged, can be easily counter fitted.

Eric the Orange:
JRPGs always seem to make up weird names for their currency. You covered a lot of them but there's also examples like Zenny from the Breath of Fire series.

Zenny is also used in the Megaman Battle Network series and the Megaman Legends games. I would not be surprised if the unified world of Capcom-Earth uses Zenny.

Actually...I wonder what the exchange rate would be for all these currencies? Legit question, mostly because I write a fanfic series where various worlds interconnect. Here's the current exchange between five such currencies...

$1 (Earth - USA) = 1 Gardenian Crown (Super Mario Brothers) = 2 Rupee (Legend of Zelda) = 100 Zenny (Capcom-Earth) = 100 Mobiums (Sonic the Hedgehog)

...and based on what happened during an RP...

$1 = 20 Bolts (Ratchet and Clank)

Bealzibob:
Lisa! Goddamnit whats the name of that song that plays through-out this vid. I'm 99% sure it's a remix of Paper Planes but whose??

It sounds like Straight To Hell by The Clash, which is where the sample in Paper Planes came from.

...but while we're on the subject of Paper Planes remixes, I'll take any excuse to post this:

On topic: before I watched the video I was pretty sure Kingdom of Loathing was going to win, but Conker is always welcome.

Midget??? That is our word! Just because you're a hot white girl you can insult my people? You better watch yourself the next time the circus is in town!

jk jk

What about Company of Heroes' "manpower?" You spend it to build buildings and form units, so it's a currency, right?

Isn't Moolah actual Australian slang for money?
Yup, its in thesaurus.com.

JPArbiter:

Well yeah kinda... Tho... 1000 bottlecaps isn't that much if you stack them neatly...
But when I am carrying 10,000 I'd imagine the space won't be the issue.

wulfy42:
Wait, I wasn't the only one that started saving bottle caps after playing fallout?

I had a draw full of them for years!!

I have a glass Jar that is about three feet tall and a foot and a half in diameter that is 3/4s full of bottlecaps. I call it the "New Kansas City Federal Reserve" and want to throw a BYOB part inviting everyone I know to finish it off.

Yopaz:

mr_major:
Sad day when meat from the Kingdom of Loathing is left off a list of silliest Currency.

Yeah, Kingdom of Loathing was one of the first games to pop into my head when I saw this video's title. I guess it's not widely enough known to be featured though.

I remember a friend of mine beat a briefcase bat for the first time and got a briefcase which contained a fat stack of cash. With the item description "Too bad you can't spend cash in The Kingdom of Loathing". That was simply brilliant.

Is it really that rare? Almost anyone I mentioned it to have responded with familiarity, although not all have played it (for most its along the lines of "oh, a friend of mine played it, it seemed silly. Like, wasnt the currency meat? oO")

Also, is it just me, or does moola(h) sound perfectly normal to me? Not really slang in my country (wiki says its slang for money), but I have seen the term is so many games that it at the least should be far from a contender for this list.

ryukage_sama:
I'd say that the Medi-gel from the first Mass Effect was the silliest. Sure the game had conventional credits to spend on most items, but using medi-gel as a resource for hacking locks and computer systems was stupendously silly. They crack jokes about it in Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC.

I think you mean Omni-gel. I'm pretty sure Medi-gel was the stuff used to heal yourself.

Ophiuchus:

Bealzibob:

It sounds like Straight To Hell by The Clash, which is where the sample in Paper Planes came from.

...but while we're on the subject of Paper Planes remixes, I'll take any excuse to post this:

On topic: before I watched the video I was pretty sure Kingdom of Loathing was going to win, but Conker is always welcome.

You have good taste ser.

I didn't think it sounded like the original clash song but it had been a while since I listen to it.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here