Escape to the Movies: Gravity

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Gravity

MovieBob takes us to where no review has gone before.

Watch Video

Jinx program? What's that reference to?

Anywho, great review. Can't wait to see the movie.

That really looks amazing. Unfortunately the only Cuaron movie I saw was that Harry Potter one. It will launch on the 10th here in Brazil, so I'll definitely look for it then.

Also, since there's no more "buy my book" for 30 seconds, could the episodes go back to its 5-6ish minutes of glory?

That last shot shown from the movie just makes me think of 'Major Tom'

Man just the footage gives me chills, if anyone else here has played Orbiter Space Flight Simulator you know the abject horror of finding yourself floating 3 feet from safety but without enough fuel to actually reach it, or overshooting by a few meters and realizing you have too much momentum to turn around and try again.
Seeing astronauts flying around like ping pong balls is a terrifying, exciting and eerily realistic prospect.

Dansrage:
Man just the footage gives me chills, if anyone else here has played Orbiter Space Flight Simulator you know the abject horror of finding yourself floating 3 feet from safety but without enough fuel to actually reach it, or overshooting by a few meters and realizing you have too much momentum to turn around and try again.
Seeing astronauts flying around like ping pong balls is a terrifying, exciting and eerily realistic prospect.

Yeah, my first reaction to seeing the trailers and stuff was "This looks like it's going to be a great movie and whatnot, but that looks terrifying."

Billy Zane as the Phantom. I remember that. Come to think of it whatever happened to Billy Zane?

Hey! -Billy Zane- is always relevant. Always. Remember when he was Ansem in the first Kingdom Hearts? Well you do now!

maybe one day. it looks interesting when i saw the trailers several times at the movies but never really thought much of it at the same time.

Everytime I think of Gravity:

Hmmmm, maybe I would have been more open to this movie if the trailer didn't have the same soundtrack as the Captain Phillips trailer.

And every thing needs more Billy Zane.

I can't see this movie unless they have a consulting astrophysicist in the credits. A physics-based movie must have accurate physics and I just don't trust Hollywood to get it right on their own.

Addendum: Too bad Reel Physics isn't here anymore. This movie is right up their alley.

DVS BSTrD:
Hmmmm, maybe I would have been more open to this movie if the trailer didn't have the same soundtrack as the Captain Phillips trailer.

Every trailer sounds similar nowadays, or at least has the same darn sound effect.

OT: I'm glad to hear the movie is good and has decent action; I was afraid it would be 80 minutes of Bullock soliloquies as she floated off into space. Also, thank God Bob got rid of that "joke" advertisement for his book.

what?! the phantom!? i actually watched that movie as a kid! it was so cool, and then i grew up...

and its still so cool :D

Ken_J:
Billy Zane as the Phantom. I remember that. Come to think of it whatever happened to Billy Zane?

Just watched him in a good supporting role on Netflix streaming just yesterday: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2139843/?ref_=sr_3

I dunno if I want to see this. Just looks like "Deep Water" but in outer space. If they live, it is going to feel like BS to me.

Every time I think of this movie I'm reminded of the awfully padded space sequence in FFVIII. I was thinking about skipping this one because I was fairly sure that it was going to be overly long sequences of talking before and after 1 big action sequence, but knowing that it goes on throughout changes my perspective a bit.

Andrew Siribohdi:

I have no idea. For some reason, my Googlefu is failing me.

vxicepickxv:

Andrew Siribohdi:

I have no idea. For some reason, my Googlefu is failing me.

It would seem to be from Space Camp ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceCamp ).

80 minutes of 2 people falling and it was good? I'm not convinced. I'll wait for it to air on TV.

Also, I wish Bob would pick an accent and stick with it. At least the book plug is gone.

Laurie Barnes:
*inhales deeply*
OSCAR BAIT!
That is all.

So? Is an athlete less exciting to watch because he wants a medal? If pandering to the Academy means it turns out good, than Oscar-bait away I say!

Huh so the movie is a fun ride, eh?

Thought it was going to be dumb or just there, but the "it looks better on IMAX 3D" makes me want to watch it.

Astronaut with a tragic backstory trying to get away... Doesn't sound like someone who would actually make it into space.

Also, Russian satellite explodes and Americans still use space shuttles. Is this movie supposed to be in the 80's? Sigh.

What do you mean "russians are bad again"?
So that would make the country trying to initiate World War 3 the "good guys"?
that's why Bob is a movie reviewer and not a political scientist

MinionJoe:
I can't see this movie unless they have a consulting astrophysicist in the credits. A physics-based movie must have accurate physics and I just don't trust Hollywood to get it right on their own.

Agreed. Every time I see some new info for this movie it seems like the writers watched Space Cowboys and some of the crazy stuff done in Kerbal Space Program and said "let's combine the two!"

Sorry, way too much of that says to me "not even the remotest possibility would this shit EVER happen!" The biggest one would have to be Bullock's character who would never pass the psych exam. NASA doesn't want that kind of emotional baggage doing critical operations in orbit. And while the most obvious, not even remotely the only thing.

Might be great for drama, but if you're interested in the reality of space exploration, you'll spend the bulk of the movie screaming obscenities at it.

Sgt. Sykes:
Also, Russian satellite explodes and Americans still use space shuttles. Is this movie supposed to be in the 80's? Sigh.

Right up until the shutting of the space program NASA was using the same shuttles as in the 80's so that's accurate. The Russian satellite is BS though.

For a good accurate ripping for how inaccurate this rubbish is, see here.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/poking-holes-in-the-gravity-trailer-with-nasas-help/

jaded zombie:
What do you mean "russians are bad again"?
So that would make the country trying to initiate World War 3 the "good guys"?
that's why Bob is a movie reviewer and not a political scientist

Americans are the good guys so by going against the US over Syria the Russian's are bad guys see simple.

Everytime I see anything involving this movie I flash back to the final episode of Family Matters.

LordLundar:
but if you're interested in the reality of space exploration

You'd also fall asleep.

What on earth would make you expect that from this film, or any movie-theatre film?

You know, my sister saw the trailer and thought it was dumb, for no other reason other then it's just two people in space... and that's somehow boring/lame/stupid.

I'm probably not going to see this, because the trailers alone look like something that's going to cause me to clench so tight light itself couldn't escape.

Laurie Barnes:
*inhales deeply*
OSCAR BAIT!
That is all.

Uhhh... no. Oscar bait is where the entire movie is designed to appeal to the aged and actor-heavy Academy voter, and generally heavily favor dramatic actor-focused character pieces, particularly historical pieces and heavily favoring the "based on a true story" tagline (although not required). For example: Kings Speech, Argo, Lincoln (nominee), Hurt Locker, No Country for Old Men, The Departed, etc.

Gravity, which is heavily technically focused with damn good acting, may get nominated, but between it and Lee Daniel's The Butler, my money is going to be on the Butler.

LordLundar:

Sorry, way too much of that says to me "not even the remotest possibility would this shit EVER happen!" The biggest one would have to be Bullock's character who would never pass the psych exam. NASA doesn't want that kind of emotional baggage doing critical operations in orbit. And while the most obvious, not even remotely the only thing.

Didn't NASA have a problem with an astronaut loosing it?

I really have no interest in this movie, even if it is "good". It just looks like something that wouldn't appeal to me, I don't really care for either actor/actress.

Oh yeah and hang on guys, I'll do it for him...

BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK,BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK,BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK, BUY MY BOOK...

Kumagawa Misogi:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/10/poking-holes-in-the-gravity-trailer-with-nasas-help/

I am thoroughly enjoying that linked article. Thank you! :)

"There's also a lot of nonintuitive things that come into play with orbital dynamics," he continued. "Like, with how you fly, relative to a vehicle in low Earth orbit. It's not necessarily a point-and-shoot type thing. Orbital dynamics affect the trajectory, and so you really just want to do a couple of small pulses and then see what direction it takes you in. For the big 'lay on the gas' moves and the tumbling-well, technically feasible, but you'd run right out of prop."

THAT! Right there. To catch something ahead of your orbit, you don't accelerate towards it (prograde) unless you have absolutely no regard for propellant management. An energetic prograde burn will send you flying right over the top of the target unless you are constantly doing correction maneuvers.

It's actually far more efficient to thrust away (retrograde) from your target so you fall into a lower, faster orbit. Then you burn prograde once you intercept in order to match orbits.

NASA has confirmed that I should not watch this movie. :/

Kumagawa Misogi:
For a good accurate ripping for how inaccurate this rubbish is, see here.

I basically read this as "This movie is awful because it takes artistic liberties"

I'm sorry, but you haven't really given me a good reason to think that this movie is bad.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here