Escapist News Now: GTA Online Corrupts Save Files, Server Issues

GTA Online Corrupts Save Files, Server Issues

The highly anticipated launch of the multiplayer component to GTA 5 has been bogged down by extreme servers issues, crashing, and even corrupting save files.

Watch Video

Yep, this is the truth. It's sad that they do not playtest their Online Mode in beta tests.

Ahhh, I think I will refrain from playing online until these little bugs get patched.

Thankfully, the main game has so much to do yet, so I will refrain.

THank god I have PSN+ for cloud save

Capcha:tide over

Think I'll play Disney Infinity as my tide over

Um... is anyone surprised by this? Anyone at all? So many online conection launch issues lately...

Kinda irritated at the always online nature of this. I start a solo session, and I still need a connection! So, yeah, I can't play. I can't even fool around as my character.

Rebel_Raven:
Kinda irritated at the always online nature of this. I start a solo session, and I still need a connection! So, yeah, I can't play. I can't even fool around as my character.

PS3 or Xbox? If PS3 I've been able to explore the map of GTA online in solo mode due to the race stare up error.

I can't do much really except steal cars (outside of that parking lot) and fight/beat up people. I only have the starting pistol Lamar gives me and didn't want to waste the ammo since after a few "muggings" "few" muggings I've scraped up 300 or so dollars and was able to save it at an ATM. Air fields seem to be completely fenced in the military base and the Los Santos airport both were for sure (only two I managed to self navigate too.) although both seem void of standard traffic and occupants the military base had no guards but didn't seem to have military hardware anyways (from looking through the fences) and the airport via motorcycle jump over a staircase to the flight school revealed minimal staff on the air field and zero flyable planes just the reduced sized jumbo jets that are only scenery.

the only way I was able to level up was by getting wanted stars and then losing my wanted level I only survived two stars (didn't wanna risk helicopters) but it would seem 1 * means 100 points and 2 * gets you 200 points. to reach level 2 is 800 and a (promotion?) to thug and level is at 2100 but that's just a new cap you only have to gain 1300 more past the original 800 to reach level 2 and the wanted level stars pay out the same of 100 and 200. killing civilians and boosting cars didn't reward me in that way but after X (I wasn't keeping track) amount of cars I got a little notification of I've stolen a lot of cars bronze level.(No RP experience?)

Amm-U-Nation is present but the doors are locked no map indicators on the map at time either (due to expecting you to be doing the tutorial/start-up race) the Vanilla Unicorn is enterable but no staff is present (maybe the bartender was?) you can run into the back room and not get in trouble (plus running in the club) I mainly went for the ATMs I knew were inside which did work it's options are withdraw, deposit and ??? (bank statment/payment history)

Re-spawning is a little weird if you die some where in the world the game seems to just drop you "near by" where you died I killed myself in the sea by the beach hoping to go back to town or the racing start point but ended up inland past the beach, roadway and several hundred more digital feet into the swamp south of the military base not near any roads or vehicles of any kind.

I'm on GTAV again now and I seem to have no issue loading my story save file but getting "past" the starting race in online is still hit and miss for me (it just missed) I do find it annoying that solo play mode is so demanding in that I need enough to be connected to a degree to progress by myself though.

When you deposit money via ATM it goes to a shared bank your different "personas" can all access while cash on hand remains to them only till deposited so making a new persona would only have the issue of what level they are and not so much on how much cash they have If property isn't a shared thing as well.

Oh the Online:Phone:Internet has an expanded vehicle selection but most/all non-story mode ones don't have display images but there are extra vehicles i haven't seen in story mode.

as the great and powerful wow taught us: never play on patch day.

I played it, for a bit. Made a character, played dress up, got a car tracker so I dont lose it...then since it seemed like it saved, I turned off my 360 to eat dinner. Came back and my character wasnt saved, and havent been able to play it online since. Single Player is fine though.

Wellll... I have four days left to my FFXIV sub, I'll stick to that for a while.

Saelune:
I played it, for a bit. Made a character, played dress up, got a car tracker so I dont lose it...then since it seemed like it saved, I turned off my 360 to eat dinner. Came back and my character wasnt saved, and havent been able to play it online since. Single Player is fine though.

I think that may have been server side or something my profiles were reset at one point too but I was never able to start the 1st race.

One of the benefits of being an early supporter of any video game these days is that you also get to be an unpaid beta tester. I have a feeling that with the next generation this will only get worse.

This is why I've refrained from getting GTA V, since I only really want it for Online. I think I'll wait around a bit first before I go out to buy it, then.

Completely expected by me. As an ex-MMO player I can attest that 95% of all launches for massive online games are extremely shitty. Not even World of Warcraft can manage such a load as what are most likely hammering the GTAO servers atm.

yesterday I did one online mission, got bored (the city seems dead in online mode, not enough npc's around, it's strange imo) and got back to the single player mode. Gonna play it 'till it ends and... probably go for another game or a new run, as usual.

As a PC gamer, thank you to all you millions of console gamers ironing out some of the bugs, so I can play a less buggy version later (hopefully) :)

Ah, looks like I'll wait a bit longer then. Back to Blaine County for more meth fuelled rampages.

Kakulukia:
Wellll... I have four days left to my FFXIV sub, I'll stick to that for a while.

Just curious: are you planning to renew? I'm undecided. I really like what I've played of it - CNJ up to the mid-20s and a few other classes up to 10-15 - but it's been a couple of weeks since I last put any worthwhile amount of time in. That's mostly because a few other games and a bunch of real-life stuff have been keeping me busy, but I kind of feel like I'd make time if I really wanted to be playing it...

On topic: I spent a fair chunk of yesterday trying on-and-off to access GTA Online, with no success. I'm not going to get too annoyed just yet since I'm pretty sure there's never been a completely smooth launch for an online game, but I'll wait until there's some sort of "hey, it's fixed" announcement rather than keep trying.

Well if THIS is the future of online gaming I say to hell with that. It was bad enough going through this shit ever couple of years with MMOs. If from now on most big name games are going to be like this looks like I need a new hobby.

Psychobabble:
Well if THIS is the future of online gaming I say to hell with that. It was bad enough going through this shit ever couple of years with MMOs. If from now on most big name games are going to be like this looks like I need a new hobby.

It's not the fault of the creators, it's just that they didn't anticipate how popular it might be.
You can never understand or 100% prepare for the sheer volume of people that will potentially play day one.

Also, even with a massive QA group, you won't find all the bugs.
As far as testing goes, there's no better way to find bugs than brute force, that is to say, millions of people playing for hours at a time.

It's just an inherent problem and the designers do their very best to ensure it goes smoothly.
It's never perfect, but yknow what? OH FREAKIN WELL.

I actually was able to get in, even got the trophy for completing the online tutorial. As soon as you start you're racing Lamar and whoever else joined online at that time. You get to pick and paint the first car you get for free so that's great. What I don't like is that they're a bunch of people roaming around your area that might try to kill you and take your cars. The first time you die, a cult member guy comes to you as God and tells you of passive mode where you cannot hurt or be hurt by other players. The thing about that is that you can't even get out your weapons our even punch while it's on. Soon after in the story, you'll get a tracker for your car as well as insurance for it. You can also set it so no-one can enter your car except you.

You pretty much spend your whole time holding up convenience stores and liquor stores for $1000 dollars at a time to rank up. You'll get more jobs and unlock more stuff when you rank up. Unfortunately, robbing stores is the only safe thing you can do to get money because any job you take on means going to another session which means it'll just have you staring at the clouds in a birds-eye view forever.

Alfador_VII:
As a PC gamer, thank you to all you millions of console gamers ironing out some of the bugs, so I can play a less buggy version later (hopefully) :)

IF it gets released at all... also, I'm highly cynical towards Rockstar with PC gaming, I get the feeling they'll somehow screw things up with it, even if they manage to iron out the server issues and all that.

Ophiuchus:

Kakulukia:

Just curious: are you planning to renew? I'm undecided. I really like what I've played of it - CNJ up to the mid-20s and a few other classes up to 10-15 - but it's been a couple of weeks since I last put any worthwhile amount of time in. That's mostly because a few other games and a bunch of real-life stuff have been keeping me busy, but I kind of feel like I'd make time if I really wanted to be playing it...

Maybe not right away (I want to finish GTAV, plus I bought Diablo 3 and Puppeteer and barely played them, so I might take a couple weeks break), but I'll definitely renew. I expected to like the game, but it's so much better than I thought it would be. I hope I'll have enough time to become paladin before the sub ends. Just seven more CNJ levels to go!

Lucane:

Rebel_Raven:

PS3 or Xbox? If PS3 I've been able to explore the map of GTA online in solo mode due to the race stare up error.

I can't do much really except steal cars (outside of that parking lot) and fight/beat up people. I only have the starting pistol Lamar gives me and didn't want to waste the ammo since after a few "muggings" "few" muggings I've scraped up 300 or so dollars and was able to save it at an ATM. Air fields seem to be completely fenced in the military base and the Los Santos airport both were for sure (only two I managed to self navigate too.) although both seem void of standard traffic and occupants the military base had no guards but didn't seem to have military hardware anyways (from looking through the fences) and the airport via motorcycle jump over a staircase to the flight school revealed minimal staff on the air field and zero flyable planes just the reduced sized jumbo jets that are only scenery.

the only way I was able to level up was by getting wanted stars and then losing my wanted level I only survived two stars (didn't wanna risk helicopters) but it would seem 1 * means 100 points and 2 * gets you 200 points. to reach level 2 is 800 and a (promotion?) to thug and level is at 2100 but that's just a new cap you only have to gain 1300 more past the original 800 to reach level 2 and the wanted level stars pay out the same of 100 and 200. killing civilians and boosting cars didn't reward me in that way but after X (I wasn't keeping track) amount of cars I got a little notification of I've stolen a lot of cars bronze level.(No RP experience?)

Amm-U-Nation is present but the doors are locked no map indicators on the map at time either (due to expecting you to be doing the tutorial/start-up race) the Vanilla Unicorn is enterable but no staff is present (maybe the bartender was?) you can run into the back room and not get in trouble (plus running in the club) I mainly went for the ATMs I knew were inside which did work it's options are withdraw, deposit and ??? (bank statment/payment history)

Re-spawning is a little weird if you die some where in the world the game seems to just drop you "near by" where you died I killed myself in the sea by the beach hoping to go back to town or the racing start point but ended up inland past the beach, roadway and several hundred more digital feet into the swamp south of the military base not near any roads or vehicles of any kind.

I'm on GTAV again now and I seem to have no issue loading my story save file but getting "past" the starting race in online is still hit and miss for me (it just missed) I do find it annoying that solo play mode is so demanding in that I need enough to be connected to a degree to progress by myself though.

PS3.
I haven't been able to do much of anything in GTAO. I can't back up anything ya said, as I haven't seen it. I can't even get passed the initial race in a solo session coz it just won't start.

It's defiitely panning out to be bigger PITA than I'd have hoped for.

Rockstar did say it would have issues, as for the not connecting, is anyone surprise. I don't think they expected it to quite sell as much as it did. Not to excuse the save corruption stuff, but yeah. Just stick to single player a bit longer and let them iron it out.

As for me, I'm waiting for a PC release, if there isn't one, I have a backlog anyways and would eventually get it on my PS3.

SupahGamuh:
IF it gets released at all...

To be fair, the only game they haven't released on PC is Red Dead Redemption for some reason, all the others have been.

Rebel_Raven:

Lucane:

Rebel_Raven:

Snip.

PS3.
I haven't been able to do much of anything in GTAO. I can't back up anything ya said, as I haven't seen it. I can't even get passed the initial race in a solo session coz it just won't start.

It's defiitely panning out to be bigger PITA than I'd have hoped for.

It was a rare glitch where my character walked up to where the glowing circle should be but it wasn't there and I was able to walk away from the area I've been unable to re-experience that effect again. and it only happened once for me. most other times I either get dropped before hoping in the car or such in the lobby list loading screen,but getting to that point now seems to imply players get a small default amount of cash to play with because one time I was able to select a ride(of like 5) and a color(not all options but a nice variety, beyond red,orange,yellow & etc.) Like how Deserteagleeye described and then I could place a bet (I assume for myself to win but it seemed to be against the computer?)but it wouldn't progress past that to the actual race.

Luckily for me, I've been able to get in almost every time I try. I had issues initially trying to start the first mission, but it's been fine since then. Only problem I'm having now is certain jobs downloading. It doesn't allow me or my friend to accept any jobs that we haven't downloaded before.
My friend, however, lost his Online character and started a new one. Eventually, it went really weird and merged the two, giving his female character a beard. No other problems, thank God, but I might suggest to him, as well as myself, to wait another week.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here