The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: Bio Zombie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Schlocktober 2013: Bio Zombie

With Schlocktober upon us once again we take a good long look at The Walking Dead and one of its zombie predecessors from Hong Kong.

Watch Video

I LOVED that House of the Dead spoof sequence.

Love it when these Shlocktober segments show me a movie I haven't seen before. And as much horror as I have watched over the years, one would assume that would be more and more difficult. But you managed it anyway, didn't you Bob? Thanks, I'll look this one up ASAP.

So, basically, it was Dead Rising The Movie.

I had a Gameboy camera. And printer. And VCDs. I was UK based at the time though...

Bootleg? Is that some kind of partial mannequin for footwear? Can I hit zombies with it?

Still want to check out The Walking Dead... among the piles of other shows I've been meaning to get to.

One thing i learnt from watching this movie is.....dont drink the lucozade. ;-)

This is why I love Schlocktober, I can always assume there's gonna be at least some movies I haven't heard of.

I admit I'm not a huge zombie fan overall, but this one just seems like it'd be kind of a fun movie to see. I love the idea of a sushi chef going zombie serving people sushi.

Plus...Jelly was totally hot. What? Someone had to say it.

unacomn:

Dawn of the Dead was basically dead rising the movie.

Is there a movie industry in china?

Mr.Amakir:

unacomn:

Don't be absurd. There were zero glowing bees in those movies. Can't be Dead Rising without glowing red bees. And, you know, Frank West. He covered wars you know.

Regarding the television show "really, really okay" seems more than little generous, at best it's "sorta, kinda okay."

I guess even Schlocktober cannot escape the zombie craze sweeping the nation. But at least we got to see an obscure import from Japan that offers a slightly different take on how it handles the subject. Plus the House of the Dead reference and the comedic stinger prior to the end credits is all kinds of awesome.

As for the Walking Dead TV series, its good but I feel like it could do better. Haven't been keeping up with the trades on the comic series but I've heard its getting really dark.

Mr.Amakir:

unacomn:

I thought that Dead Rising was more Dawn of the Dead: the game

Personally, I think zombies are overrated... mainly because they terrify me. Well, the concept does, anyway.

Still, maybe I'll give this one a shot...

Cantonese, not Mandarin. Also, hey it's Wayne Lai!

Tokyo Zombie

Now that was a fun japanese zombie movie comedy.

im pretty sure my wife would know it since she is from hong kong. looks like a very amusing movie.

Hopefully MovieBob will never make the embarrassing slip up of confusing Mandarin with Cantonese again. Though it was nice to hear he can do a very well put together review while sticking to his radio voice instead of drifting between that and his natural speaking voice. Good job Bob!

Reminds me of the Tetsuo movies, like Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer

I like that style of movies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqJf9RHwao

DVS BSTrD:
Bootleg? Is that some kind of partial mannequin for footwear? Can I hit zombies with it?

It's basicly just pirated stuff as far as I remember.My brother bought me some bootlegged stuff when I was very little. It's just dvds of the test film or a camera someone brought to the movie

my go-to zombie comedy alternates between shaun of the dead and zombieland

Bleh, i kinda hate drama in front of the zombie apocalypse, like it's done in Walking dead so often; the world has ended and some of those people can not put their differences aside?
You can really stumble over you own background there.
Got this same experience with the "terra Nova" show. The scene when the main family just came into this new world and the son is bitching with his father about him having one more child then was allowed to in the place they where coming from.
And he brings that up in the middle of this encampment, this colony of humanity in another time that is surrounded by Dinosaurs.
Back to walking dead again, you'd think they would love to either found or find a settlement to join where they can somewhat relax behind a wall. I would have tried very hard to resolve any possible differences between my group and any other survivors. Instead they have to have stupid drama with each other over silly bullshit that is ultimately insubstantial because the world has ended.

My favorite piece of "zombie media" has to be the video game Stubbs the Zombie. It has many a good laugh.

Wait, this guy did Ip Man? I love that film. May need to legitimately look into this film. Although that House of the Dead joke my have sold it alone.

This episode falls on my birthday.

Yay.

CrazyGirl17:
Personally, I think zombies are overrated... mainly because they terrify me. Well, the concept does, anyway.

Still, maybe I'll give this one a shot...

Just make sure to aim for the head! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

OT: As tired as I am of the whole zombie fad, this was a unique look at zombies from a different perspective. And the House of the Dead bit was just genius! Well done today, Bob.

Madman123456:
Bleh, i kinda hate drama in front of the zombie apocalypse, like it's done in Walking dead so often; the world has ended and some of those people can not put their differences aside?
You can really stumble over you own background there.
Got this same experience with the "terra Nova" show. The scene when the main family just came into this new world and the son is bitching with his father about him having one more child then was allowed to in the place they where coming from.
And he brings that up in the middle of this encampment, this colony of humanity in another time that is surrounded by Dinosaurs.
Back to walking dead again, you'd think they would love to either found or find a settlement to join where they can somewhat relax behind a wall. I would have tried very hard to resolve any possible differences between my group and any other survivors. Instead they have to have stupid drama with each other over silly bullshit that is ultimately insubstantial because the world has ended.

Now it makes me wonder how The Walking Dead comic books lasted so long with that premise. I now the old saying "Conflict is the essence of drama", but not when it's meaningless.

captcha: john Steinbeck
I'm not sure if a writer of his caliber can save the show now.

VCDs were pretty big here in Mexico at the end of the 90's, early 2000's, when people still didn't know how to mass pirate DVDs. And I absolutely loved my GameBoy Camera, I still own it and a GameBoy Printer too! :D

As for The Walking Dead... if it isn't TellTale's version, I absolutely and positively DON'T CARE.

Whoa... Bob, What happened to your voice at 2.10?

Hey Bob, would Wild Zero qualify for the Schlocktober treatment? I would love to hear your opinion on it.

stueymon:
Whoa... Bob, What happened to your voice at 2.10?

Most likely a last minute edit because he got the year wrong. :)

themilo504:
Is there a movie industry in china?

You've never heard of Hong Kong cinema, or the Hong Kong action movie genre? Hong Kong cinema is where it's at- especially in the 90's / amidst the UK/China government handover, where they were cranking out movies that UK censors no longer cared to police and the Chinese government hadn't yet begun to review. All the big name chinese martial arts actors you'd know from hollywood got their start there, and tend to gravitate back.

A lot of good TV programming comes out of HK as well, such movies/serials from TVB.

Cantonese, not mandarin, cantonese.

Since I'm sick to death (no pun intended) of zombies I have no real need to add another one to the collection.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here