XCOM: Enemy Within Preview - The Human Threat of EXALT

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, we got evil aliens, evil humans (EXALT) and good humans (XCOM). So, am I the only one thinking that we could need a few friendly aliens now, either playable unit type or an indiependent faction like the Council?

"EXALT is in a country you can play in Civ V" Oh, well THAT narrows it down.

In all seriousness this actually does sound like a neat idea. The idea of evil Humans is pretty cool, especially if they're going to start upgrading themselves with alien tech too.

Very interesting. I wonder if there'll be any three way battles.

Is it me, or do the EXALT guys "uniforms" remind you of The Bureau? Could be either a tie-in to that game, or maybe a subtle jab. Or just coincidence, but that'd be boring.

There was an achievement listed that all but straight out says "there's going to be base defense missions", so that'll make a return, only question is whether it'll be against aliens, humans, or both.

I'm not a vet of the original games, but they are on my to-do list. I had an utter blast playing EU last year but have been looking back on it less fondly since. I hope this'll turn out well and I can get back into it. If not.. well there's other games to play to scratch that particular itch. Looking interesting, still.

edit:

MarsAtlas:
Is it me, or do the EXALT guys "uniforms" remind you of The Bureau? Could be either a tie-in to that game, or maybe a subtle jab. Or just coincidence, but that'd be boring.

Yes, that thought hit me straight away. I wonder if it's an admission that they think Bureau is a bit shit and therefore there's something cathartic about having the lookey-likies slaughtered by the EW-playing crowd.

I dont need it I am in class ...I dont need it I have classes...I dont need it....I NEED IT.

Goddamit.
Curse you XCOM for making me spend more time on you then i will on school!

Oh well.

MarsAtlas:

Yeah I noticed that as well, very interesting.

As for the OT; the more I hear about this game the less excited I get. I could kind of understand human collaborators in nations the aliens subvert and stop funding you...

But a group actively working against XCOM while the world is being invaded and threatening everyone? I mean thats just fucking stupid...

"Hey guys the world is in danger of being overrun by genocidal aliens, think we should help out or something?"
"Nah lets try to sabotage the people who are dedicated to saving our asses and don't care about world politics. AND while we are at it try to take over the world!"

MarsAtlas:

I hope for a tie in - it would probably make for an interesting idea.

MarsAtlas:
There was an achievement listed that all but straight out says "there's going to be base defense missions", so that'll make a return, only question is whether it'll be against aliens, humans, or both.

The recently released trailer makes it pretty clear that it's against the EXALT.

So the way to shake things up is a stereotypical evil organization...

Guess I'll have to see it to make a solid judgement but all I can imagine it ending up as is a quite boring "We should rule the world because reasons" side plot.

SUPER STOKED FOR THIS EXPANSION!

1337mokro:
So the way to shake things up is a stereotypical evil organization...

Guess I'll have to see it to make a solid judgement but all I can imagine it ending up as is a quite boring "We should rule the world because reasons" side plot.

I'm a bit disappointed as well
I was expecting humans vs. humans combat, but with a bit more questionable morale
For example aliens manipulating some peace proposing politician that plays on public and claims that it is possible to negotiate with aliens and X-Com project is the main reason of alien aggression, thus if countries disbands X-Com project cooperation will begin.
We know it this is BS, but there are plenty of politicians who may think this is truth.
So what to do? Ignore him and risk loosing country (because this condition would add constant 1-2 points to country panic level) or send black ops team (no insignias and limited only to basic armor/weapons) and silence this politician?
What if mission goes catastrophically wrong? How justified is bloodbath to save your troops.
1.Team approaches target location
2.As soon as firefight with bodyguards begin, there are couple turns to assassinate target and leave area
3.After couple turns special task police forces approach the combat zone, and now your team needs to combat them as well
4.All this happens while target tries to escape behind police line.
5.If target escapes, country goes on level 5 panic, and panic increase across the continent as well (increase in continent could depend on lethal force used- the less you kill and more stun, the lower this increase will be)

That would make a bit more sense than evil-take-over-the-world-"of-course!!!"-organization

Genocidicles:

I asked Gupta and he said no, sadly. They wanted to keep the two factions separate.

Greg

Greg Tito:

Genocidicles:

I asked Gupta and he said no, sadly. They wanted to keep the two factions separate.

Greg

That's why we need modding support for X-Com
Just look at what modders did with UFO:Aftershave series
I currently play modded UFO:Afterlight and there battles can go up to 4-sides (at least that is highest amount of forces I currently have encounter)
Will there be modloader and modding tools out soon?

extract missions?

I already imagine that if you send in your colonel assualt man, you just park the skyranger outside the enemy base while rambo's his way out.

I know that it is just pure conjecture on my part, but judging from the design of their goons, the EXALT organisation seems like a backhanded slap to The Bureau.

Not that I mind too much, I wasn't too keen on that game.

I really like the idea of a anti x com, I would love missions where you end up in an enemy mine situation, and you just know that there going to backstab you and every turn you consider attacking them, but as soon as you attack a group of aliens arrive turning this in a massive three way fight.

That probably won't happen but man would it be cool, I would also like bigger squads and better intercepting.

Blachman201:
I know that it is just pure conjecture on my part, but judging from the design of their goons, the EXALT organisation seems like a backhanded slap to The Bureau.

I wouldn't be surprised if...

Why are they wearing suits and ties?
All I think when seeing that guy in the front holding his HMG into the camera while wearing casual is "why?".
Is that vital to the ohsoimportant "narrative" or is it just plain dumb?

Also humans vs humans in an aliens vs humans game is just military masturbation.
Don't do an aliens: colonial marines.

loa:
Why are they wearing suits and ties?
All I think when seeing that guy in the front holding his HMG into the camera while wearing casual is "why?".
Is that vital to the ohsoimportant "narrative" or is it just plain dumb?

Also humans vs humans in an aliens vs humans game is just military masturbation.
Don't do an aliens: colonial marines.

Clearly comments from a guy, that saw only a screenshot...

"Things are going great, panic levels are at an all time low and our advances in weapons tech are keeping the invaders at bay"

"Sir some hostile group calling themselves EXALT just stole all our funding for this month, blew up a workshop, and killed a Max Rank Heavy from the PSI division"

"..."

"Sir?"

"How many of those new Exosuits do we have?"

"4"

"Send in ALL of them!"

kajinking:
"Things are going great, panic levels are at an all time low and our advances in weapons tech are keeping the invaders at bay"

"Sir some hostile group calling themselves EXALT just stole all our funding for this month, blew up a workshop, and killed a Max Rank Heavy from the PSI division"

"..."

"Sir?"

"How many of those new Exosuits do we have?"

"4"

"Send in ALL of them!"

Except when they appear, you're most likely still stuck with ballstic weapons yourself and don't even have met the Sectoid Commander as they seem to appear around Month 2 for the first time.

Delayed...again...HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES ARE THEY GOING TO DELAY THIS?

Twelve new maps? Is that twelve specific to the EXALT missions or twelve in general? Because I remember something about getting 50% more levels in this.

Klaflefalumpf:
Twelve new maps? Is that twelve specific to the EXALT missions or twelve in general? Because I remember something about getting 50% more levels in this.

They said that 12 maps will have the EXALT stuff in them too, so they have certain maps in mind for when you do stuff with them instead of the aliens, we're stilling getting lots more maps :)

kiri2tsubasa:

Where does it say the expansion will be delayed?

Bindal:

MarsAtlas:

The recently released trailer makes it pretty clear that it's against the EXALT.

Just watched that, cinematic stuff suggests it will be just EXALT, but they could make it so aliens do too. After all, it's been a much requested thing and Firaxis say they have been listening to fans. We'll just have to wait and see.

chozo_hybrid:

kiri2tsubasa:

This was originally supposed to be released in October, now it has been delayed for about 3 weeks.

kiri2tsubasa:

chozo_hybrid:

kiri2tsubasa:

This was originally supposed to be released in October, now it has been delayed for about 3 weeks.

Really? Because the date I've always heard was November something, I think you might have it mixed up with something else.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80780/xcom-enemy-within-expansion-announced - Due Nov 12th, article from August.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-announced-a-huge-expansion-to-enemy-unknown/ - Due Nov 12th, article from August.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/21/4642424/xcom-enemy-within-expansion-announcement-release-date - Due Nov 12th, article from August.

It's always been the date since announcement.

MarsAtlas:

XCOM always had a 1960s british art style.

You just don't realize it because british 1960s art style looks like a more colorful and cartoony American 1950s art style.

Blachman201:

Look up.

Desert Punk:

MarsAtlas:

Yeah I noticed that as well, very interesting.

As for the OT; the more I hear about this game the less excited I get. I could kind of understand human collaborators in nations the aliens subvert and stop funding you...

But a group actively working against XCOM while the world is being invaded and threatening everyone? I mean thats just fucking stupid...

"Hey guys the world is in danger of being overrun by genocidal aliens, think we should help out or something?"
"Nah lets try to sabotage the people who are dedicated to saving our asses and don't care about world politics. AND while we are at it try to take over the world!"

It might be stupid but when you look through several cases in human history, you find that humans have actually acted REALLY STUPID. Right now you got a small group of politicians of one branch of the US government actively working against the economic interests of the US and it's people, leading to the current shutdown fiasco and coming up against a looming debt default that would really put the US economy (and by default the world economy) into the shitter.

Also look up the Spanish Civil War which pitted the fascist Nationalists against the left wing Republicans. Mid-way through the war with the Nationalists gaining the upper hand, a group within the Republican side launched a rebellion against the Republican leadership, causing a civil war within a civil war, which only hastened their impending defeat. Now how incredibly stupid do you think that was? Nationalist forces control most of the country and surround the capital city we are in, "oh hey, lets make our already precarious position worse by fighting our comrades cause we ain't happy."

So it's not far fetched that a group of human extremists could be working against XCOM during the alien invasion thinking they could use it to gain power. Yes it's stupid, but it's not unrealistic or unbelievable.

I personally would love to see them -really- differentiate EXALT from the aliens, for example, having them appear in missions you don't take, with the A.I. determining whether their missions were successful, and them getting some sweet Alien tech from it.

Or better yet, having them appear on the same map as the Aliens, and allowing commanders to work it out so both sides clash in the battle, with your XCOM squad coming in to sweep up the rest.

This sounds cool. Gotta get back into playing it again. I'm still getting used to permadeath of my characters but its blast to play.

Bring me more X-Com, please.

MarsAtlas:

Hah! Good to see I'm not the only one who thought that. Yeah, the clothing (especially without much in terms of protective gear, just like in that game) really reminds me of them.

"the EXALT base is in a country you can play in Civilization V"

I seriously hope that one was a joke cause how am I suppose to know that since I don't play that game. Unless the game grays out countries that it can't be by itself...

Either way, looking forward to this honestly. Enjoyed XCOM EU.

Witty Name Here:
I personally would love to see them -really- differentiate EXALT from the aliens, for example, having them appear in missions you don't take, with the A.I. determining whether their missions were successful, and them getting some sweet Alien tech from it.

Or better yet, having them appear on the same map as the Aliens, and allowing commanders to work it out so both sides clash in the battle, with your XCOM squad coming in to sweep up the rest.

Sorry to disappoint you but neither will happen. The get their gear from YOU, basically (or from own research) and there will never be three-way-fights because EXALT will stay the heck away from direct conflicts with the aliens.

Greg Tito:
"In the situation room of XCOM base, I received word that an EXALT operation had stolen credits from the XCOM project. The surest way to piss me off is to take my money, and I was ready to take some action."

I can just imagine Greg in this situation.

"Hello, my name is Greg Tito. You took my money. Prepare to die."

Bindal:
So, we got evil aliens, evil humans (EXALT) and good humans (XCOM). So, am I the only one thinking that we could need a few friendly aliens now, either playable unit type or an indiependent faction like the Council?

What I'd love to see eventually is an "Alien Mode" for the game. I could get into a long rambling explanation as to how I'd make this work, but in short basically it would reverse the concept of the game and have the player play as the aliens trying to take over Earth.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here