Escapist Expo: Game of the Year

Game of the Year

2013 may not be over yet, but that doesn't mean we can't start talking about our favorite game of the year. What title should hold the honor? Is it a shooter? An RPG? Or should we surprise everyone and give it to Madden? The panel will discuss what they think about the games they've played this year and nominate their early pick for Game of the Year.

Participants:
Yahtzee Croshaw
Jim Sterling
Gavin Dunne
David Moss
Andrea Rene

Watch Video

I wish they would upload Jim's Outlast playthrough, as it is hard to see in this video.

I hope they do "clean up" the audio somewhere down the line. The audio here and in other podcasts is really giving my ears a hard time.

My own GOTY so far is : Metro Last Light.
It was a good year for gaming, even though I was very dissapointed from Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3 :P .

drgnrbrn316:
I wish they would upload Jim's Outlast playthrough, as it is hard to see in this video.

It's on youtube. He does his own Let's plays now. Just search for "Now Bloody Playing Outlast". It's pretty long though, not that cut down version he used for the panel.

I was looking forward to these videos ever since the last Expo. I loved it and viewed some of last years panels several times because they were genuine & fun to watch.
Things certainly have changed from the last Expo, especially the audio quality.

Who thought it was a good idea to have Lasercorn on this panel?
Compared to Gav, Yahtzee & Jim - who were all great, his entire contribution to the panel consisted of a few inarticulated juvenile comments, that's it. Seriously, he didn't know Shadow Warrior (his pick for GOTY) is a remake...until Yahtzee & Jim schooled him.
His spot should have gone to someone who at least has some knowledge on the topic. Absolutely cringeworthy.

Poor David Moss, you don't know what the fuck your talking about.

Boy, David Moss barely contributed to this panel.

Would've been nice to see someone who can function on an intelligent level discuss what their GOTY is. Like a Graham Stark, or something.

Brian Tams:
Boy, David Moss barely contributed to this panel.

Would've been nice to see someone who can function on an intelligent level discuss what their GOTY is. Like a Graham Stark, or something.

Next year you can come on!

This was a decent panel. I like Yahtzee's angle on GOTY now: The game he wants people to experience most.
Oh and Jim, that Outlast video was top notch

EDIT: Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom! I got a copy of that last year for like $10! It wasn't amazing, but but I liked how it was presented. Very fairytale in style.

Nepenthe87:

It's on youtube. He does his own Let's plays now. Just search for "Now Bloody Playing Outlast". It's pretty long though, not that cut down version he used for the panel.

Ooh! That's something I got to check on Youtube then! :)

I get the impression the person who asked about Metal Gear wasn't really wanting the panels opinion on it so much as to hear them praise it. People often seem to ask really long complicated questions as well.

I love the way they don't hold back their opinions even though they are no longer using the persona's in their videos. It's nice to see the people who work within gaming talking as normal gamers.

Maybe direct feed audio next year?

Jimbaloo, Yahtzee and Rene threesome. Gavin likes to watch! oh sorry don't want a bad rep for this but just found it fun to say, don't be bad moderators. It was a nice talk, I enjoy Yahtzee's and Jim's synergy.

As usual, some of the possible best games of the year are coming out in November (Watch Dogs, X Rebirth) but so far I have Out of the Park Baseball 14, Gone Home, Rogue Legacy, and GTA V as the best.

There should definitely be a most overhyped by the gaming "journalists" category, and the winner goes to Bioshock Infinite.

As much as Bioshock Infinite had its flaws, I think the reason I like it so much is that it gave me a lot to think about. Granted, many of the sociological issues explored in were things I had given thought to, but the way that they were presented--in mainstream media--created an opportunity for people previously unexposed to the extreme and long lasting impacts of things like slavery, racism, classism, and religion to see how things impacted people. Of course, there are no floating cities (that I'm aware of) but the idea of how separated societies get when there is so much inequality is something that is definitely prevalent in today's world.

In particular a couple of ideas that stood out to me were the implication of religion/religious dogma, the long term effects of racism and slavery, and the disastrous implication of "The 1%". I didn't realise what an exploratory nature of the game when going into it, but seeing how many things people (at least in America) take for granted are actually serious issues is something that needs to... well be not taken for granted.

My immediate focus is religion--me being an agnostic to the point of atheism--and how twisted it makes societies. And by that, I mean organized religion specifically--not that the impact of casual religion, over time imprinting ideas of religious superiority in entire societies, us not enormous--and how it completely destroys people. I'm not going into the whole "how much harm religion does" thing, but Infinite certainly exposes the way people will be horrible just because their religion tells them so.

Also the whole classism and racism thing, and how it is shown in the whole revolution, and division of columbia. I'm not really going to bother going into how provocative the stuff they show is, and what it reveals (mostly about America), but I think that if it doesn't give you something to think about, you need to play the game again.

That also ties into the long lasting ramification of slavery in the US, and how that shows in Columbia and by reflection the modern world.

The reason I love the game so much though is that it's fun, it's enthralling, and it really gives me something to reminisce about. It really made me think. Yeah, it's not the most innovative game, and it isn't quite as ethically challenging as Papers, Please , but what it does do is connect to issues of the modern world, and sends a really important message. And going with my requirements of actually causing me to think, and think about life in general, I think that is what makes Bioshock Infinite such a great game. It's story may be extremely deep and complicated, but it's the underlying key issues that are prevalent throughput the whole that "seal the deal" and make it my game of the year.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here