Escapist Expo: No Right Answer: The Escapists Debate

No Right Answer: The Escapists Debate

here's nothing quite like demanding people to state their opinion on meaningless pop-culture items. Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, Bob "Movie Bob" Chipman, Graham Stark, Chris Pranger, and Dan Epstein join forces for what could possibly be the greatest series of debates since the dawn of time. We'll start out using fan suggestions to debate in the style of the wildly popular "Who Would Win?" episodes of No Right Answer. Then the main event; A feature debate where panelists split into teams, and tag in when they have a killer point to make. If you've ever wanted to see Yahtzee and Movie Bob get into a shouting match, you're welcome to attend and watch the magic unfold.

Participants:
Bob Chipman
Yahtzee Croshaw
Graham Stark
Dan Epstein
Chris Pranger
Jim Sterling

Watch Video

This one worked, and I'm quite glad that it did!

Gigantic spoiler at 54:10 to 54:20 if you haven't finished Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us. Like gives away the most important part of this 6 month-old, and 1 month-old game respectively. Dude was quite the tool for asking it in a theater. Most of whom, assuredly hadn't played Last of Us, and many probably hadn't played Bioshock.

I asked them if they'd edit it out, or at least Spoiler warning it.

I was at the panel and one of the people in line. Truthfully, I and many of the people in line had difficulty coming up with ideas to suggest to the panel. Lots of people in line, including myself told those behind themselves to go on ahead of them due to not having their idea completely figured out, or perhaps having low confidence of it, of which I was unfortunately a mix of both in. By the time I finally had my idea summed up in my head and got back into the line, they said they'd be ending the panel, therefore I wouldn't get it in. :(

The best I thought of was "Tony Montana vs Stewie Griffin in telling a good aristocrats joke.

Thought right now, I think telling it as "Jim Sterling vs Yahtzee in telling a good aristocrats joke" would be far better.

Saarai-fan:
I was at the panel and one of the people in line. Truthfully, I and many of the people in line had difficulty coming up with ideas to suggest to the panel. Lots of people in line, including myself told those behind themselves to go on ahead of them due to not having their idea completely figured out, or perhaps having low confidence of it, of which I was unfortunately a mix of both in. By the time I finally had my idea summed up in my head and got back into the line, they said they'd be ending the panel, therefore I wouldn't get it in. :(

The best I thought of was "Tony Montana vs Stewie Griffin in telling a good aristocrats joke.

Thought right now, I think telling it as "Jim Sterling vs Yahtzee in telling a good aristocrats joke" would be far better.

Hey, it's Dan. Sorry you didn't get to ask your question, but I'll do my best now. I think Stewie would tell the joke, then kill anyone who didn't laugh at it. Tony would forget the joke half way due to all the nose candy. So, Stewie wins due to at least being able to get the joke out.

If you have any other debates, we'd love to here it!

Firefilm:

Saarai-fan:

Hey, it's Dan. Sorry you didn't get to ask your question, but I'll do my best now. I think Stewie would tell the joke, then kill anyone who didn't laugh at it. Tony would forget the joke half way due to all the nose candy. So, Stewie wins due to at least being able to get the joke out.

Aw. Dan, you're just too nice. Don't ever change, and pass that on to your kids. ;D

Good show all around. <.< Though Bob, maybe shouldn't have said that one thing about the suicide hotline.

At any rate, it was even better seeing this a second time!
Thanks! =w= b

Firefilm:

Steve Blum vs. Vin Diesel reading Little Red Riding Hood?

Gotta say i loved some of these scenarios. Probably one of the more entertaining panels to've been put up so far. I really wish i could've been there :/

Firefilm:

Thanks Dan! I think you made some good points there. Hope there's another one of these at next year's Expo!

Really bad echo on these Expo videos (especially when the crowd gets all horny). Escapist should definitely try and find a better audio set-up for next year.

Godzilla versus one of every Pokemon:
The comparison to an ant colony taking down a spider is interesting, but ants and spiders have about the same physical durability as one another. Godzilla, meanwhile, has nigh-impenetrable skin that shrugs off absolutely anything that isn't designed to be as sharp or penetrative as possible. Shoot just about any Pokemon with a military-grade missile, on the other hand, and it's dead - not fainted, I mean dead - and a single blast of Godzilla's nuclear plasma breath is hugely more destructive than an entire volley of missiles. And even if a swarming mass of Pokemon somehow managed to rip off one of Godzilla's limbs, he's got a Wolverine-like healing factor that, though it would take awhile, would both regrow the limb and successfully keep him alive long enough for the regrowth to still matter. (Also, I'm pretty sure direct exposure to Godzilla's blood would immediately start making the Pokemon suffer from radiation sickness-induced vomiting and severe fevers.)

The Sailor Scouts versus the My Little Ponies in Call of Duty:
Going by Yahtzee's assertion that the humanized ponies are no longer ponies and are thus disqualified, two of the six main characters are unicorns with minutely precise magical telekinesis, meaning they'd be able to pull off in-game feats impossible for any human. It'd basically be a one-to-one translation from desired action to in-game action. Another of them has no such attribute but does possess an inexplicable, Deadpool-like disregard for logic or physics that basically manifests as god-like powers, so she'd probably be even better than the previous two somehow. And then the remaining three would, as surmised in the panel, be basically unable to play due to their lack of hands. So you've got a competent but fairly unremarkable team of Sailor Scouts against a team composed half of free kills, and half of unstoppable death machines. I can't say with complete confidence that the ponies would be the victors, but it'd be a close call either way.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here