No Right Answer: Best Devil Ever - with Jim Sterling!

Pages PREV 1 2

My favorite Devil is probably Elizabeth Hurley in the Bedazzled remake, and yeah, it's for the obvious reason of it being Elizabeth Hurley.

Considering Hades owns all the precious metals in the earth, I think he got a pretty good deal.

Ray Wise is disqualified from this because you don't want him to win and he says he won't win.
Otherwise he is the best one.
The devil isn't supposed to want to kill you or harm you physically, he is supposed to make you want to do bad things.

This particular version is one of the very few ones that seems to borrow his character from the Islamic version, Iblis.
He even redirects a plane going to the Vatican to Las Vegas and encourages people to gamble.
He is shown encouraging bad decisions much more than he is seen actually doing bad things.
He even says he loves/ed God and that he knows he will loose. Almost every other devil ignores that part of the character.

Hannibal942:
My Lucifer doubles as a night club pianist after he quit his job.

This would have been my vote also. DC's Devil is cool, and makes it quite clear that he's doing an important job, and makes that point most eloquently when he pretty much says "I'm done with taking this crap, someone else can do it" and in the process winds up teaching the cosmos a lesson, especially given how lacking his replacements are.

Not to mention his payback on "The Sandman" for earlier embarrassment is kind of epic in it's simplicity when he pretty much drops the keys to hell on his lap and says "I'm leaving these here, and I know you'll feel responsible for this incredibly important piece of psychic real estate" before walking off, pretty much causing every other avatar of a fundamental concept of reality, god, and celestrial being, to show up on his door step to make a case for why he should give it to them, right when he's got all this other stuff on his plate to try and put his section of reality right (and plan his own demise, due to feeling he's become too human in his outlook, which a fundamental force of reality cannot be and still do it's job).

The thing is though that I don't think it would be easy to explain what makes this version so awesome in a short video. With "Hades" and the version from "The Prophecy" it's easily understandable, not quite as obscure, and involves simple visual and audio reference.

Wow. Lots of portrayals considered the best. My personal favorite is played by Tom Waits:

Arslan Aladeen:
My favorite Devil is probably Elizabeth Hurley in the Bedazzled remake, and yeah, it's for the obvious reason of it being Elizabeth Hurley.

Ugh. Sacrelige. I came to post about Peter Cook and you do that. I feel queasy now.

Also I can understand why you might forget about Eric Stoltz and Virginia Madsen in the Prophecy, but how can you forget Elias Koteas? He carries the film.

Interesting how nobody mentions this particular portrayal of Lucifer.

In my opinion, it might be one of the best portrayals I've ever seen. Even though his design is not quite interesting at first, there's just something off about him, like he's both male and female and he just looks... well... evil, but at the same time, he doesn't, he's both deeply corrupted and innocent looking at the same time.

I have a fondness for animated devils.

South Park, loved it.
Futurama robot devil, brilliant.
That Treehouse of Horror with Flanders as the devil?

It's always the one you least expect.

I like no right answer but this one really irritated me. Well to be accurate D's Hercules sucks massively and HADES ISN"T A DEVIL. so ya i have a bone to pick with this lol

I think they mean devil more as in "an evil god." It also has to be a like-able, kinda-wanna let him win charismatic one. I find many Devils/Demons/Lucifers/Hades/Gods/Planar Overlords detached in inhuman way and not that relatable.

Many villains and super-powered antagonists I find are more connectable because they're not godly. Kinda goes the same way for good guys.

Also, the ending was awesome. Well played.

Gorfias:
We actually kinda want this monster to win, and in a way, he does, and is happy about it, and we kind of are too!

EDIT: I have to write that Jim "won" this one as to the two they chose. Hades is almost a clown. You can sympathize with him but he's not chilling like Vigo. But Vigo's part is very small in that movie. Less time to mess it up. I still vote I win so far :-)

I was going to say what about Al Pachino in the Devil's Advocate? Surely he beats out both of them.

I really enjoyed that one. best no right answer in awhile. Jim seemed exhausted but he put on a great show and argued his devil well. I hope they managed to grab Yahtzee for another guest show and I would pay money for a Paul versus Graham debate on just about any subject.

My vote would have also been for the sandman Lucifer though:)

Jim nearly got a spit-take. Awesome.

Fappy:
I hear Marriott hotel rooms make great sets XD

This was pretty neat. Any chance we'll see any other impromptu cross-overs from Expo?

That would be great if they could pull it off.

Oh man, it's Hades. I fuckin' love that guy and James Woods killed with his performance. Every once in a while I like to watch his quotes on YouTube.

No way. No way. Vigo, srsly, I always go back to vigo on this one. Cartoon hercules goofy purple guy? whatever.

"I will fill your mouth with your mother's feces" would have been a great line in any of the lord of the rings movies

I'm surprised Jim didn't mention Chris's Kirby shirt. Kirby's mojo was all like, "Come on, Jim. Give him a compliment."

I'm don't think Jim should have gotten his 3rd point, since he was still making the point of his choice of Devil asserting his domain over evil acts. But hey, it's always a good time when a Drinking Round is involved!

canadamus_prime:

I was going to say what about Al Pachino in the Devil's Advocate? Surely he beats out both of them.

I agree! He's charming, and scary. He looks as he does because he chooses it. In a moment where he loses control, he is beautiful, as Lucifer is supposed to be. He's super smart and convincing.

The scene on the subway is probably my favorite. The one where he speaks perfect Spanish.

Kudos to Chris for keeping it together during the drinking round. I know I would've choked.

zvate:
I really enjoyed that one. best no right answer in awhile. Jim seemed exhausted but he put on a great show and argued his devil well. I hope they managed to grab Yahtzee for another guest show and I would pay money for a Paul versus Graham debate on just about any subject.

My vote would have also been for the sandman Lucifer though:)

Glad you liked the crossover episode. Unfortunately we were only able to record two episodes while there, the second one has special guest Lisa Foiles!

Gorfias:

canadamus_prime:

I agree! He's charming, and scary. He looks as he does because he chooses it. In a moment where he loses control, he is beautiful, as Lucifer is supposed to be. He's super smart and convincing.

The scene on the subway is probably my favorite. The one where he speaks perfect Spanish.

Not only that, but like any good villain he talks sense; like when he goes on about he's all about the people and how he's been down there getting his hands dirty and whatever.

octafish:

Arslan Aladeen:

Ugh. Sacrelige. I came to post about Peter Cook and you do that. I feel queasy now.

Also I can understand why you might forget about Eric Stoltz and Virginia Madsen in the Prophecy, but how can you forget Elias Koteas? He carries the film.

Sorry, I admit, it's not one of my prouder moments.

REALLY REALLY? NOBODY has mentioned legend with Tim curry and Tom Cruise???? This is perhaps the best devil ever. So addictive with a sadistic twisted dark humor, as in "I value your thoughts"

kingthrall:

REALLY REALLY? NOBODY has mentioned legend with Tim curry and Tom Cruise???? This is perhaps the best devil ever. So addictive with a sadistic twisted dark humor, as in "I value your thoughts"

I completely agree, though someone did mention him on the first page. :)

This was my first thought when I looked at the topic of the video. By far the best devil ever!

hermes200:
Hate to be "that guy", but do you do realize Hades in not a Devil, right? He was just flanderized a lot because that is a Disney animated movie, to the point he is devilish due to being "the bad guy"...

In that sense, Ghost Raider, Constantine and Devil's Advocate presented better versions of the prince of darkness. Heck, I would take Little Nicky's version over that one.

Oh god I love Harvey Keitel. His devil was just the best devil. Also...Pacino was brilliant...."Vanity, Hah! Definitely my favorite sin!"

Okay, just going to say this: In my opinion, the Best Devil Evar was Daniel Defoe in the short-lived (but awesome) series Brimstone.

Therumancer:

Hannibal942:
My Lucifer doubles as a night club pianist after he quit his job.

This would have been my vote also. DC's Devil is cool, and makes it quite clear that he's doing an important job, and makes that point most eloquently when he pretty much says "I'm done with taking this crap, someone else can do it" and in the process winds up teaching the cosmos a lesson, especially given how lacking his replacements are.

Not to mention his payback on "The Sandman" for earlier embarrassment is kind of epic in it's simplicity when he pretty much drops the keys to hell on his lap and says "I'm leaving these here, and I know you'll feel responsible for this incredibly important piece of psychic real estate" before walking off, pretty much causing every other avatar of a fundamental concept of reality, god, and celestrial being, to show up on his door step to make a case for why he should give it to them, right when he's got all this other stuff on his plate to try and put his section of reality right (and plan his own demise, due to feeling he's become too human in his outlook, which a fundamental force of reality cannot be and still do it's job).

The thing is though that I don't think it would be easy to explain what makes this version so awesome in a short video. With "Hades" and the version from "The Prophecy" it's easily understandable, not quite as obscure, and involves simple visual and audio reference.

This (Lucifer) would have been my vote as well, except for the fact that he isn't The Devil. He's Lucifer. He's never been evil or trying to sucker people out of souls. Hell, he barely ruled over hell, he was tricked into exile and people came to suck up to him. In the Vertigo/Sandman continuity, which includes Hellblazer, The Devil is a lower-ranked entity (which used to be 'Gods Conscience'). He shows up in Hellblazer alot and shares all the characteristics of the usual 'Devil'.

..Then again, I guess it is all a question of definitions. Lucifer is based on John Miltons 'Devil', and DC Lucifer is substantially different from Milton's incarnation as well. So I guess it comes down to 'What makes a Devil?'.
Lucifer: Doesn't harvest souls. Doesn't rule Hell in a direct sense (Though he might have, at one point). Isn't Evil (Self-serving and manipulative, but does not care to inflict harm on others just for harms sake).
However, he did: Wage war upon heaven (before the comic is set). Was considered 'The Devil' by many when he was in power.

Loved Chris' "And thank god... for me." Hah, awesome.

Add me to the camp that thinks that Hades is not the same as the devil, even if Disney decided to base their version of Hades on the Devil.

But more importantly, am I the only one who watched this and felt that Chris stacked the deck in his favor by setting the criteria to match his choice? As soon as he stated to describe his three criteria, I got the feeling that he was actually describing what he liked about the character of Hades rather than what made a great portrayal of the Devil.

I think it's time for you guys to change things slightly and let the moderator set the criteria instead.

Once again you're both wrong and it falls to me (And the guy who already corrected you at the top of the thread) to correct you.

That is all.

My tops would be Viggo, Pacino (Devil's Advocate), devil in Constatine, and Jack Nicholson in witches of eastwick.

All very different, but awesome portrayals.

Gaiman's vision of Lucifer that appeared in Sandman is probably my favorite, though. Very angelic and beautiful, smooth talker. Seems to be what a devil should be, as an entity of pride.

I noticed that they were using small hotel room cups instead of their usual tall glasses. Obviously you gotta use what you got, but I think with the regular tall glasses Jim would've gotten the spit-take.

Excellent video, Chris & Jim! I thought I recognized Viggo's Devil before, and I found him here:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19556_5-fictional-devils-who-kind-seem-like-good-guys.html
That article has some other good choices for a devil, apart from the ones others posted about before me, like Jack Nicholson in Witches of Eastwick. He's the kind of guy who'd ask you to dance with him in the pale moonlight.
And like the Joker, I have no idea what that means; it just sounds cool.

Firefilm:
Best Devil Ever - with Jim Sterling!

God took time out of his schedule of being thanked for Jim Sterling to bless the No Right Answer crew with Jim's presence. Can he convince us of who the best Devil is?

Watch Video

Calypso from the Twisted Metal series. I don't know why, but I really like this guy.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here