Movie Defense Force: Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

I've heard trying to use the power glove was a real nightmare. It's true though, after a few movies the psycho killer just stops being scary.

Liked all the Nightmare on Elmstreets, as comedies.
This one does take the cake, yes!

INB4: "This needed to be defended!?".

I think, of all Nightmare on Elm Street films, this is the most memorable of all for me (along with 3 and 4), the hearing aid scene gave me the creeps when I was a kid (and I still cringe a little as an adult) and I absolutely adore the Wile E. Coyote death scene to this date. Freddy's both creepy and funny on the same movie and that's more than enough for me, I never bought on the seriousness of the previous (and subsequent) films, to be honest.

CAPTCHA: heebie-jeebies ... Is this thing watching? O.o'

I don't really have anything to say, outside of "I should maybe consider seeing Freddy 6". I just...I feel this belongs here.

Happy Halloween, everyone.

I stopped with Freddy's series after number 5 because I got bored. Turns out I stopped one movie too soon.

Jim, I stopped watching your video about a minute in because you've sold me. I'll go watch the movie, and I want to see it as "fresh" as possible. :)

I'm sorry, but I can't disagree more. Freddy's Dead is hardly better structured and acted than all of the previous films. The original is a masterpiece, and genuinely scary. And yes, the dream demons are dumber than pretty much everything else in the franchise, and that includes the exploding bird in the second film. Also, I find it funny that the only other film mentioned by name is The Dream Child, one that even most fans will admit is crap.

Really, if any movie in this series needs defending, it's Freddy's Revenge. That one gets a lot of crap thrown at it for unfair reasons.

PureIrony:

Except that pic. is from Elm Street 4.

Bruce Kilkowski:

Really, if any movie in this series needs defending, it's Freddy's Revenge. That one gets a lot of crap thrown at it for unfair reasons.

YES. I agree. Freddy's Revenge has a deep, dark psychological bent to it that makes is scarier than most, if not, all the Elm Street movies (New Nightmare, Dream Warriors and the Original Notwithstanding).

OT: I enjoyed Freddy's Dead, it's silly, and I have it in 3D now, and it's actually much better than some people might let on. It's certainly not easy to forget, I can't say the same for Elm Street 4 and 5, really.

Great MDF, Jim.

SupahGamuh:
IFreddy's both creepy and funny on the same movie and that's more than enough for me, I never bought on the seriousness of the previous (and subsequent) films, to be honest.

This would sum up what I like about the series and why I don't care for the later movies. with 3-Dead You're either scared silly or laughing your ass off, so you're entertained regardless. The later movies miss the point of why 3-Dead were popular and try to turn it back into straight horror, which is why end up getting panned.

That's two really great slasher movie episodes in a row Jim. Carry it through to 6 and then I'll do a video series defending you for defending movies. Hoo-AH!

Final Nightmare was fine, now if you try and defend New Nightmare....I'll disagree 100%

I only really liked the first one and the last one (new nightmare?).

My favourite is of course the first, but this one definitely comes in a close second. The part where he drops the pin absolutely cracked me up! XD

I'll be honest, I've always been scared of Freddy Kruger. The idea of a hideously deformed psychopath attacking you while you sleep is frightening to me on so many levels. Even when I got older and began watching more horror movie franchises like Friday the 13th and Halloween, I still couldn't bring myself to watch the entire Nightmare on Elm Street series. So far, I've seen the original Nightmare on Elm Street, the remake, Wes Craven's New Nightmare, and Freddy vs. Jason. I still believe that the first one holds up mostly because Robert England played the character straight and was portrayed more as a character to be feared. But, as the sequels came and went, Freddy became more beloved by the fans and soon devolved into more of a joke. This is what I found more disappointing about the remake. It did jack squat with Jackie Earl Haley as Freddy and just churned out a piss poor reboot.

Still, I'd like to get into the Nightmare series and see if any of them hold up or not. Any thoughts?

I've always been kind of sad that Nightmare on Elm Street never got a prequel. I remember seeing Englund expressing interest in doing a full movie where he only played the human Freddy attacking children in the good old fashioned way, and I'm pretty sure it would have been the best movie ever. Why can't movie studios see things my way?

Also, does anyone else like to think Freddy wins in the end? This is a good topic since Jason X was just the last episode, but in Jason X the world was an unlivable garbage dumb. I like to think that rather than the Earth going to Hell because we didn't recycle or raised to many farting cows, it was because Freddy finally got free and ate the souls of all the children forcing humanity to flee to the stars to survive. That would probably be the best way the series could end.

Bit off topic but I think folks here might be able to answer the question : I remember watching Wes Craven's New Nightmare back in the day and quite liked it. Seemed to depart from the standard plot, though - is it considered canon in any way?

I think I'd really like to see Jim do The Stand next, the tv miniseries that adapted the Stephen King book.

Elijah Newton:
Bit off topic but I think folks here might be able to answer the question : I remember watching Wes Craven's New Nightmare back in the day and quite liked it. Seemed to depart from the standard plot, though - is it considered canon in any way?

...sorta. Freddy isn't actually in New Nightmare. It's about some demon that watched all the Nightmare movies and thought Freddy was cool, so he used that form when he next attacked the real world. Taking special note to attack star of the original Nightmare on Elm Street. It's...a little more complicated than that...but not much. Still a good movie.

Actually i think Number 3 did it best.
It mixed the one liner funny Freddy with the scary Freddy to an almost perfect degree.
I think if the rest of the series could have done that it would have been great.
Nightmare on Elm Streets biggest problems was that each movie had a different writer and a different director each pulling their movie in a completely different direction, then the previous making a mess of things.
One Nightmare on Elm Street movie i donīt think can be defended is the remake it just SUCKS!. Sure Jackie Earle Haley does what he can, but i would dare say that even if the ENTIRE cast, had been made up of oscar nominated actors they wouldnīt have been able to pull the movie above below average.
And with the cast being as it was plus the script they had to work with, the movie was just dead on arrival.

I thought that one Robot Chicken sketch about Freddy Kreuger looked familiar! So they didn't make up the ghosts and his family.

was that roseanne barr int he one scene? has she alaways been part of the series?

This film got me mad into Horrors. I was 8.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here