Attack On Eyeballs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

PunkRex:

Akichi Daikashima:

PunkRex:

Angst! If there's one thing you're aloud to be angsty about, it's your friends/family all getting eaten in front of you.

OT: I think AoT made most people cringe, though more for the sads than bads.

I'm pretty sure that the 5 stages of grief aren't just composed of:

1-Anger
2-More Anger
3-Anger with Extra Sauce
4-Anger with a side of Anger
5-Anger^2

Also whilst I get that Erin is angry, his constant shouting is just plain annoying.

Also, what kind of guard tells a mother that her child was eaten and that there is no hope for anyone? They're supposed to be guards, goddammit, as in, THE MILITARY.

How far did you watch? Please don't think i'm attacking you, i'm just curious as although at the start of the story (when he's a kid) he does do alot of shouting, but after the time skip he doe's a much wider range of shouting. I won't lie, Eren is a loud character (I think AoT is classed as Shounen so just part of the course really) but he does have alot more to yell than just anger.

About halfway into episode 2, at the point at which my ears started hurting(though I was ill at the time), I just said "NOPE"(and yes, his mother dying was pretty recent, but he was just angry for the most part, and little sadness, besides, he was already angsty even before her death(scene with the guard and all))

Sorry if I seemed to unfairly attack SnK, but after Naruto and NGE, I have a very low tolerance for angst.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the show is terrible, the animation is the best I've ever seen, and the soundtrack is pretty good, but like I said, low tolerance for angst.

Kenjitsuka:
My advice; don't bother with the show.
Ranks as a mere OKAY, if you've seen more than a few Anime...
There's tons better out there.

I agree completely. The show is possibly slightly above average; but it's got a ton of problems. Eren's complete multiple personality disorder is one of them. He goes from starry eyed kid, to the whiniest, angstiest character since Squall. Then he basically becomes an out of the loop moron who never has a singe fucking clue what's going on and just shouts all the time about everything.

Is he convicted to kill "ALL" the titans or not? Cause he doesn't really seem like he wants to.

Really, for the main character, he's the worst character in the show. When he "died" I was so relieved he got killed off. I hated him that much, which I don't think is what the show was going for.

Also, what the hell was all that final fantasy bullshit at the end of the first season? I don't even want to see more to be honest.

TimeLord:
snip

Not sure what i should spoiler so to be safe gonna spoiler entire answer:

Titan = best thing to happen to anime in over half a decade. I now consider it amongst the very best; Gurren Legann, Onizuka, Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop. It is that good, so fuck you if you disagree.

No its writing isn't masterful, no it's art style isn't unique, no it's animation isn't ground breaking. What it is:

- brilliantly and endlessly compelling and entertaining
- a god damn welcome breathe of fresh air compared to 99% of anime

Grey Carter:
Attack On Eyeballs

They're very similar, really.

Read Full Article

It took two people to make this and they get paid for it

Akichi Daikashima:

PunkRex:

Akichi Daikashima:

1-Anger
2-More Anger
3-Anger with Extra Sauce
5-Anger^2

Also whilst I get that Erin is angry, his constant shouting is just plain annoying.

Also, what kind of guard tells a mother that her child was eaten and that there is no hope for anyone? They're supposed to be guards, goddammit, as in, THE MILITARY.

How far did you watch? Please don't think i'm attacking you, i'm just curious as although at the start of the story (when he's a kid) he does do alot of shouting, but after the time skip he doe's a much wider range of shouting. I won't lie, Eren is a loud character (I think AoT is classed as Shounen so just part of the course really) but he does have alot more to yell than just anger.

About halfway into episode 2, at the point at which my ears started hurting(though I was ill at the time), I just said "NOPE"(and yes, his mother dying was pretty recent, but he was just angry for the most part, and little sadness, besides, he was already angsty even before her death(scene with the guard and all))

Sorry if I seemed to unfairly attack SnK, but after Naruto and NGE, I have a very low tolerance for angst.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the show is terrible, the animation is the best I've ever seen, and the soundtrack is pretty good, but like I said, low tolerance for angst.

Sasuke will do that to a persons tolerance levels...

Rainforce:
The anime itself can't stand on its own, I agree, though.

You'd be wrong though, the anime has been critically acclaimed by fans and critics, I for one love the sense of dread the show brings, unlike most Shounen series, nothing is okay and friendship doesn't win the day (in fact, the heroes have barely won any fights) I have never seen the manga (although I will check it out)

It also has outstanding animation (that bit in the opening where they are moving around the city with the maneuver gear is very hard to do and quite costly I am told)

I love the anime and am looking forward to seeing the manga (the art of the manga is very odd from what I have seen)

Akichi Daikashima:
Eugh, I would watch the show, but the angst really turns off.

To be fair, considering the crapsack world the characters are living in and the absolute shit they go through, its totally justified (although I can see how it can grate on you)

Frankster:
Titans don't have genitals so don't count as being naked!

Ninja'd.

DVS BSTrD:
Sure just not the ones we want to see naked. (With that one exception, if you've seen the show you know)

Do you mean...

If so, I don't think that counts. :/

Katherine Kerensky:

Daystar Clarion:
-Snip-

SO KAWAII!

Feth that titan in particular.

Watching the show with someone else... might bug them to watch more when they get home later >.>

Did....did you just use a Tanith Cuss word? Good to see a fellow fan of Abnett!

OT: I've been hearing a lot of Attack on Titan. Still not sure if I want to watch it at the moment. Anyone giving this the thumbs up?

TimeLord:

Frankster:

As a 40k fan, im rather fond of Attack on Titan for its high casualty rates amongst the cannon fodder and a certain air of mystery and despair as time and time again heroic charges end up in disaster.

Ain't gonna say its best anime evar and wouldnt know enough about anime to make such a call anyways, but i just enjoy how expendable everyone is and taking bets on peoples survival rates. Hopefully it can keep up this vibe.

To be fair, it isn't exactly lacking on the character killing.

So many people die its ridiculous. About the only ones who don't die are the people in the main intro sequence, but honestly I have no clue how long that'll last. I honestly kept waitin for the Sasha to bite the dust since she doesn't seem particularly useful outside of bein a fairly enjoyable comedy act. Given the universe I actually expect her to die in a fairly horrific way since I can't see her fulfillin any other sort of role.

On topic! I loled. Totally not what she was expectin at all, but not really a lie either. Kudos!

Attack on Titan appeals to two distinct audiences.

1. People who enjoy it for its INTENSE HUMAN DRAMA
2. People who enjoy laughing at the people in the first category.

I super enjoy all the conspiracy horseshit, like there's legit tension built up around the weird shit, anime spoilers,

But getting emotional over characters dying? Adorable. Anime spoilers:

Also, the show is a meme goldmine.

Kenjitsuka:

While Attack on Titan may got an average story, it has absolutely mastered the art of a convincing world. Good Sci-fi directors have known this for a while in that in alternate universe settings, a convincing setting essentially nulls 85% of the problems of the story. The fact that AoT has one of the best soundtracks of all time helps also. THAT is why a lot of people really love Attack on Titan.

Mahorfeus:
I like the premise, and what I've read so far, but the artwork for the manga looks like an absolute train wreck.

There's a couple of reasons for that actually.

The Titans are meant to look like strangely inhuman humanoids as if they're native residents of the uncanny valley, and this winds up shifting to the people as well. The sensation that every character is slightly off in some way art wise gives this uneasy feeling and gives the artwork this foreboding sense of something not being right with pretty much anybody, even the good guys. It's similar to how some view the voice acting in Silent Hill as an additional way to suggest the characters have something wrong with them, even though they seem normal.

That's just my perspective as a comic artist myself. Isayama is quite capable of some great artwork, especially for action scenes, but the first year chapters kinda sell his talents short. I'll grant some things I can't overlook like how he draws hands image

but that's my view of it.

You mean people actually watched this garbage? There are far better shows out there.

doesn't most the cast die in that? Erin seems to be on a bad string of luck for that far as picking shows goes ...

l3o2828:
The show is slightly above average at best.
I don't know why people are treating it as the next coming of anime jesus.
It's not THAT.GOOD.

Neither is anything else that's being released. This just happens to stand above most shounens.
Hell, I'd say it's better than the Big 3 (Naruto, Bleach and One Piece/ then again those contrived stories don't really hold much merit)

Still, compared to Sword Art Online (Absolute Garbage that just looks pretty), Kill La Kill (Trigger just throwing over the top anime scenes 80 percent of the time with a sprinkle of fanservice while trying to make it a coherent story.), I can at least enjoy Attack on Titan's story.

Also Free!'s pretty good. Never was one for slice of life or drama, but it seems to get the job done.

Akichi Daikashima:

PunkRex:

Akichi Daikashima:

1-Anger
2-More Anger
3-Anger with Extra Sauce
5-Anger^2

Gonna be honest with you right off the bat. Eren, is the most dull character of the series. Just flat out telling you. He has a right to be angry, yes, but what kept me going throughout the series were teh other FAR MORE interesting characters who had some personality and weight in their deaths.

Thing is that while Eren's supposed to be one of the protagonists, he's the least interesting one, and that kind of sucks, but at the same time it really lets me enjoy the show to know there are others in the series who are far better than him in terms of skill and overall writing.

Just my two cents on your judgement of Eren.

VanQ:
You mean people actually watched this garbage? There are far better shows out there.

I do agree (Not on the garbage part, given taht I've seen true anime garbage. Cough SAO Cough), but we still have a while to wait for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders to get animated by Studio David and Blazblue: Altered Memory has only just started airing.

Then again, it's still better than watching Naruto, Bleach and One Piece (3 Animes that I have given up on due to their god awful plot contrivance and never ending fillers)

Daystar Clarion:

Kenjitsuka:

Says the person with a Claymore avatar.

I lol'd

OT: How could you not like Kawaii Titan!

SO KAWAII!

get it. hes pointing out the irony of you calling it ok when you like claymore! XD

claymore btw the show that was basically just genderbent berserk when ya get down to it.;D

Vausch:

Mahorfeus:
I like the premise, and what I've read so far, but the artwork for the manga looks like an absolute train wreck.

There's a couple of reasons for that actually.

The Titans are meant to look like strangely inhuman humanoids as if they're native residents of the uncanny valley, and this winds up shifting to the people as well. The sensation that every character is slightly off in some way art wise gives this uneasy feeling and gives the artwork this foreboding sense of something not being right with pretty much anybody, even the good guys. It's similar to how some view the voice acting in Silent Hill as an additional way to suggest the characters have something wrong with them, even though they seem normal.

That's just my perspective as a comic artist myself. Isayama is quite capable of some great artwork, especially for action scenes, but the first year chapters kinda sell his talents short. I'll grant some things I can't overlook like how he draws hands image

but that's my view of it.

didnt shigurui death frenzy also employ those same artistic principles?

Frankster:

TimeLord:
snip

Not sure what i should spoiler so to be safe gonna spoiler entire answer:

Kenjitsuka:

Shh.

Attack on Titan is the best thing I've seen since Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion. Sure it has a bit of a pacing problem, and I might not be the biggest oktaku to walk the earth, but I would be lying if I said that it didn't have me on the edge of my seat. Plus, that art style and that quality of animation? Not to mention, I haven't seen any fan-service whatsoever and it stands tall with HBO quality writing.

Attack on Titan is definitely above average. Don't take this as me making assumptions about you, but a lot of people seem to discredit it purely based on its (well deserved) popularity.

This is just my take on it though. It is definitely one of the best anime this year.

shintakie10:
So many people die its ridiculous. About the only ones who don't die are the people in the main intro sequence...

You say that but...

But yeah, I agree about Mikasa though

VanQ:

Opinions. Opinions everywhere.

Some people like it, some don't. You don't like it but that doesn't mean it's garbage for everyone else who enjoys it.

Well, I read the manga,(I have not watched the anime), more for the jigsaw puzzle plot and the mystery than for the action and drama.

What I really hate is the fact that before the anime came out nobody gives a damn about the manga, but when the anime comes out, everyone loses their mind over the anime.

VanQ:

Don't mean to attack, but I would seriously like to know what you suggest. I think AoT is good but it's far from faults.

If you have better suggestions I'd like to know since I really can't find many good animes.

TimeLord:

Frankster:

As a 40k fan, im rather fond of Attack on Titan for its high casualty rates amongst the cannon fodder and a certain air of mystery and despair as time and time again heroic charges end up in disaster.

Ain't gonna say its best anime evar and wouldnt know enough about anime to make such a call anyways, but i just enjoy how expendable everyone is and taking bets on peoples survival rates. Hopefully it can keep up this vibe.

To be fair, it isn't exactly lacking on the character killing.

Well...

rbstewart7263:

Somethingfake:
-Snip-

Did....did you just use a Tanith Cuss word? Good to see a fellow fan of Abnett!

OT: I've been hearing a lot of Attack on Titan. Still not sure if I want to watch it at the moment. Anyone giving this the thumbs up?

Eeyup. I regularly use "Feth" as a cuss word.
Also, Attack on Titan is decent. The opening for it has also been growing on me.

Martin Yao:
Well, I read the manga,(I have not watched the anime), more for the jigsaw puzzle plot and the mystery than for the action and drama.

What I really hate is the fact that before the anime came out nobody gives a damn about the manga, but when the anime comes out, everyone loses their mind over the anime.

How do you think JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Fans feel?
Series has been running since 1986 and has a Total of 8 Parts (Part 8 still running) with some of the best story lines and intriguing characters.

Biggest problem. Only till late 2012 did Parts 1 and 2 get a damn good anime and everyone's still waiting for Araki to redo Part 3 seeing how the OVA of that was sub par and completely homophobic in terms of character redesign.

Still I know the pain. Look at Soul Eater. The Manga is fantastic. The series ended on filler. THIS IS BULLSHIT

neoontime:

VanQ:

Don't mean to attack, but I would seriously like to know what you suggest. I think AoT is good but it's far from faults.

If you have better suggestions I'd like to know since I really can't find many good animes.

A list of suggestions I made that you will almost never see on the Escapist forums. You tend to get recommended the same 12 shows here over and over.

A lot of people trash on SAO for various reasons, as someone has done in a direct quote to me. I find it's either love or hate for that show, I fall on the love side mostly because it's probably the most decent MMO anime out there, even better than the .hack series. Though there certainly is a lot of missed potential, the novels, as usual, are far better than the adaption. Don't skip Accel World even if you hate SAO, it's a great standalone series.

Kenjitsuka:

I'm not quoting you to start anything and I respect your tastes in not liking it- not everyone will like the same things I do.
But saying that someone shouldn't bother and there's better animes is kind of, I can assume... putting down the anime a bit to much.
A lot of people love it, and it's grown insanely popular in Japan. Not even after 18 episodes of release, they decided it must have a season 2. That speaks volumes since there's only 25 episodes in this one season.

But that's not a bad thing to dislike an anime. I get yah, the anime is not for everyone. Just saying if you are to tell people how you feel, don't put something down for it may rub people off the wrong way.

OT: I for one, am glad the giants are nude but don't have private parts. It makes them look more 'genetic' in a sense of being uncommon compared to us regular people. Heck, they even have a female titan where she's naked and they don't have to censor anything!

Frankster:

rbstewart7263:

very minor manga spoiler

Madara XIII:

Akichi Daikashima:

PunkRex:

Gonna be honest with you right off the bat. Eren, is the most dull character of the series. Just flat out telling you. He has a right to be angry, yes, but what kept me going throughout the series were teh other FAR MORE interesting characters who had some personality and weight in their deaths.

Thing is that while Eren's supposed to be one of the protagonists, he's the least interesting one, and that kind of sucks, but at the same time it really lets me enjoy the show to know there are others in the series who are far better than him in terms of skill and overall writing.

Just my two cents on your judgement of Eren.

Could be, but it's not just him(though he is the main reason for why I don't want to watch further), the guards in the first episode do not act as if they were part of the military, the fact that the guards inside the city are too terrified to face titans, even though that's exactly what they have been trained to fight.

Mikasa is a bit too 'Rei' for my likes, but to be fair, she still has some intrigue surrounding her, and same with that blond kid.

But yeah, I believe we are in agreement by saying that Eren is just completely passable as a character.

kajinking:

Frankster:

I'm still suprised no one has written a 40K/Attack on Titan crossover fanfiction yet. I'd love to see Imperial Guard or Space Marines vs Titans.

Send in the Angry Marine, series will be done before the intro song is done.

ANGRY MARINES, ALWAYS ANGRY. ALL THE TIME!

..... after all, Anime is HERESY!

Akichi Daikashima:
Could be, but it's not just him(though he is the main reason for why I don't want to watch further), the guards in the first episode do not act as if they were part of the military, the fact that the guards inside the city are too terrified to face titans, even though that's exactly what they have been trained to fight.

To be fair, that is a major plot point, the guards and soldiers were used to living safely in the walls, never having any reason to risk their necks to fight titans, a chilling line says it all:
"The better equipped you are to fight titans, the further you are assigned from them"

The Military Police (who are assigned to the inner walls, away from titans) Are supposed to be the best, better equipment and the only way to join the MP is to be in the top 10 students.

They were terrified of the titans when they had to fight one, the titans are killing machines and most joined the MP to live a comfortable life. It proves that most of humanity is content with living inside the walls that have proven aren't totally safe.

PS, the MP are assigned to protect the inner city, the garrison is assigned to keep the walls checked and fight titans when they appear inside (hadn't happened for centuries) and the Recon Corps, who go beyond the wall (most call it a death sentence)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 50918)