Escapist News Now: Thief New York Comic Con Preview

Thief New York Comic Con Preview

Andrea sits down with Joe Khoury, Executive Producer, at Eidos Interactive to learn more about Thief's secrets.

Watch Video

It's astounding how that gameplay clip at around 4:00 completely went against what he was saying at 4:30. Talking about how Garrett enters and leaves a scene with as little trace of his presence as possible, right after footage of him straight-up jacking some guards.

Still not impressed, Eidos.

This new Garrett is just Sam Fisher from Conviction set in Victorian-era Civilization. Garrett isn't a ninja, he doesn't do CQC or drop on guards or have super vision to see what can or can not be manipulated in the game. And Garrett is voiced by one man only: Stephen Russell. This crap about MoCap is exactly that, a majority of the game takes place in first person and he's wearing a mask as well. Is it really hard to sync in Stephen's lines to a model, oh the woes that the guys at Bethesda had to deal with when they had to do that with the plethora of characters Stephen voiced in Skyrim including a certain thief named Cynric.

I love the line where he says "Garret was never a fighter. He can take on one or two guards but not more than that." Did they even play the original? If Garret tried to take on a single guard in the original he'd get his face stomped in. Your only REAL options when spotted was to run and hide or reload and try again. That was part of what made the game different and gave it a real sense of suspense. Modern sneakers have completely lost the sense of impending doom whenever you leave the shadows.

Have to agree with the poster above as well. Dropping Stephen was a bonehead move. They will not be getting my money.

Demon Messiah:
If Garret tried to take on a single guard in the original he'd get his face stomped in.

That's not quite so. The fighting controls were fairly horrid, yes, but you could actually manage a toe-to-toe fight against a single enemy if you had some skill; the problem was that you'd inevitably attract attention, unless you'd managed to neutralize all of that guard's friends beforehand. The game simply made it clear that violence was for amateurs, and the highest difficulty levels would often automatically fail you if you killed someone.

But there were plenty of times I found myself locked in combat with a Hammer Haunt because it'd turned around just as I was coming up for a backstab, and came out victorious. You just had to be really quick on your feet.

The Rogue Wolf:

That's not quite so. The fighting controls were fairly horrid, yes, but you could actually manage a toe-to-toe fight against a single enemy if you had some skill; the problem was that you'd inevitably attract attention, unless you'd managed to neutralize all of that guard's friends beforehand. The game simply made it clear that violence was for amateurs, and the highest difficulty levels would often automatically fail you if you killed someone.

But there were plenty of times I found myself locked in combat with a Hammer Haunt because it'd turned around just as I was coming up for a backstab, and came out victorious. You just had to be really quick on your feet.

It wasn't the controls so much as the fact that you could only absorb 2 hits (max) before dying at higher difficulty and your swords reach was much shorter than the guards. Flash bomb + backstab took away some of that difficulty, but I tended away from that since it seemed too easy and not very theify. Flashes are for escapes not assassination distractions.

Since when did quicktime events and being unable to jump become today's technology?

That's Wolfenstein 3D era technology guys..

Ahhhh Christ this looks bad.

We get it everytime Eidos says 'WE'RE DOING GOOD THINGS TO MAKE OLD FANS LIKE THIS' but I haven't actually...seen anything to prove that?

Wish I was interviewing this spud...

Well, it looks like a good game, just not a good THIEF game. I think they might have gotten a little too much Deus Ex: Human Revolution with this reboot given what we have seen so far. I'm drawing parallels between the actions I would take in a level of Human Revolution to what I'd be doing in that game, and pretty much watching it happen in the gameplay videos.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here