Escapist Expo: The British Expatriate Panel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The British Expatriate Panel

Why do so many British people leave the United Kingdom, emigrating to former colonies of the empire? And why do so many of them end up working in games media and/or for The Escapist? We have three such gentlemen on hand here at the Expo, and they were happy enough to agree to sit down with each other and discuss tea, biscuits, and the Queen. Or, perhaps, games.

Watch Video

YES, I have been waiting for this panel to go up.

Was TotalBiscuit only invited because he happens to live in NC?

Americans say alot of crazy things but insulting digestive biscuits? That is cause for war right their. Fighting for such a nobel cause we would easily win!

capacha: forgone conclusion. Even capacha is on our side.

There's a law been passed in the UK, it seems, whereby almost every panel show is obliged to star David Mitchell.

Kinda pissed that I missed this. The panel was so new and replaced something that didn't happen, but they apparently never got to replace the schedule on the booklets being handed out before they were printed. So this panel didn't show up at all unless you looked at the schedule in the hall... and by the time I realized I missed it, me and a friend took that time to find lunch.

Ah well, they recorded it to my convenience at least.

Andy of Comix Inc:

Well that and he has like 1.5 million subs, plays a lot of games, hosts a lot of podcasts and MLG streams, and generally has thrown his opinions around quite famously... some of which are in direct conflict with Jim's opinions. So at the very least I thought it'd be fun watching two opinionated brits back and forth with each other, and they made it three instead so... bonus.

Good sound on one of these videos, AWESOME!

Quiotu:

Andy of Comix Inc:

Well that and he has like 1.5 million subs, plays a lot of games, hosts a lot of podcasts and MLG streams, and generally has thrown his opinions around quite famously... some of which are in direct conflict with Jim's opinions. So at the very least I thought it'd be fun watching two opinionated brits back and forth with each other, and they made it three instead so... bonus.

Oh I mean, I don't doubt his profile, and believe me, I'm one of those 1.5 million subs and his Polaris podcast is one of the three (including Jim's) I tune into. What I'm saying is that he has a tenuous link with The Escapist beyond his geographical location.

Down at the bottom of the garden
among the the birds and the bees
(birds and the bees!)
theres some happy little people
Called the Poddington Peas!

Represent

Andy of Comix Inc:

Quiotu:

Andy of Comix Inc:

Oh I mean, I don't doubt his profile, and believe me, I'm one of those 1.5 million subs and his Polaris podcast is one of the three (including Jim's) I tune into. What I'm saying is that he has a tenuous link with The Escapist beyond his geographical location.

He was one of many other extra guests, like Cliffy B and Insomniac Games. He wasn't even at the Expo for this panel, but for other celebrity-type things.

Another panel had to pull out, and it seemed too big an opportunity to miss to not have us three together, hence why the panel was so last-minute. Basically, this is less an Escapist panel, and more a, "We have three British arseholes, let's make them shit on everything in unison."

I think it was a strong move. :)

England, the land of sitting down. As Douglas Adams (a Brit) wrote, "Man considered himself a tool maker, but in actuality his was a race of after-dinner speakers."
I wish, however, that Jim Sterling would realize that is a dynamic microphone and he doesn't have to fellate it to be heard. The overdrive is killing my ears.
How many Brits does it take to panel a gaming discussion? Four. Yeah, that's why this went so well.
Somebody send Jim a Rabbit, please. And send one to Yahtzee, too, just so he doesn't feel left out. And paste a picture of Rebecca Mayes to it.
The Nerdist is a panel show that talks about games, but it's not on television. Or is it? I don't have TV right now, so I'm not sure.
I feel sorry for that one last guy who just didn't get the five extra seconds he needed for his question. They couldn't go a minute longer? Really? It's the Internet. Not network television.

I didn't realise how British I was until after this video. I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed of it or not now.

Jimothy Sterling:

"We have three British arseholes, let's make them shit on everything in unison."

When you say "in unison" I picture you three singing together while shitting.

I remember a panel show called "Never Mind the Full Stops" and honestly, it was one of my favourites. It was about grammar and spelling and such, in case it's not obvious. xD

How the hell was Doctor Who not talked about?! D:

I got the combine harvester reference... I don't know if this is good or bad.

I love that this panel consists of three relatively well spoken people attempting to pull topics out of their asses for an hour, pretty much fantastic.

Digestives may be bland, but I will fuck ANYONE up who slags them. Good panel, chaps.

I had no idea how hot Ben/Yahtzee was :O

As you may have noticed from the last question, British people will insult their own culture endlessly, but if an American insults British culture, shit's on like Donkey Kong!

That was amazing :)
You should do this panel again next year :)

Hey Jim, would the Flip 'n Fuck Me count as "something with function"?

Oh Yahtzee... You've been away from home far too long. Classic British though to hate on the weather.

Chocolate digestives aren't that bad, at least they've made the effort to coat them with something pleasing. I for one will forever be a rich tea fan.

I really like digestives, chocolate or not.

The bland ones are the "rich" tea ones, they are just awful.

oh lordy, this was a fantastic and hilarious panel.

Jim's discussion about his dildo collection pretty much killed me. So jealous of everyone who got to see this in person.

Jimothy Sterling:
"We have three British arseholes, let's make them shit on everything in unison."

The more I think about it, the more you three are all my favourite people, I think... if Jeff Gerstmann was there it would have been my Internet Videogame Dream Team. "Strong move"... excuse my bias, but strongest move! Man. Yahtzee, TB and yourself. In a room. Talking. About being British.

Life is good.

(The news that you'll be on the Co-optional Podcast this Tuesday is also like... BOOM oh man Jim and Jesse Cox this can't not be brilliant... this is my GI Joe vs Transformers)

Everything I expected and more.

Poddington Peas, casual racism, digs at Cameron and Digestives, perfectly encapsulating British culture... would've liked more talk on British game devs, but you can't have everything. :D

Pilkingtube:

You spelled "Jim" wrong.

Ryleh:

Pilkingtube:

You spelled "Jim" wrong.

That's a funny spelling for John Bain.

Jimothy Sterling:

Andy of Comix Inc:

Quiotu:

He was one of many other extra guests, like Cliffy B and Insomniac Games. He wasn't even at the Expo for this panel, but for other celebrity-type things.

Another panel had to pull out, and it seemed too big an opportunity to miss to not have us three together, hence why the panel was so last-minute. Basically, this is less an Escapist panel, and more a, "We have three British arseholes, let's make them shit on everything in unison."

Evidently your thought processes are functioning adequately.
Was quite entertaining.

Well, my opinion on Totalbiscuit has improved somewhat.

"Press X to go down the toilet!"

"I can't, Yahtzee, I haven't got a squadmate to lift the lid."

I wonder if Yatzhee will one day stand up to his ankles in exotic dildoes following this. I do hope he will give us a tour of the collection one day.

I hope Jim will as well, of course, but I feel like that is a good and wholesome inevitability, like the sun rising a cheerful summer morning.

Teoes:
Digestives may be bland, but I will fuck ANYONE up who slags them. Good panel, chaps.

Digestives are amazing. Hard working biscuits, that will never ever forsake you. The biscuit with which to build the Folkhome. Quite literally, come to think of it, smash 'em up and you've got mortar and plaster, mix them with gravel and you've got asphalt.

Must say when I heard about this panel I was quite excited for it, and luckily it didn't disappoint.

One thing I must say though that I do love a good digestive. Especially those ones with Caramel inside them. God, I've been jonesing for those fuckers so bad since I starting dieting D:

Anyway, great panel guys, and can't wait for Jim showing up on the Co-optional Podcast on Tuesday either.

Muspelheim:

Teoes:

Digestives are amazing. Hard working biscuits, that will never ever forsake you. The biscuit with which to build the Folkhome. Quite literally, come to think of it, smash 'em up and you've got mortar and plaster, mix them with gravel and you've got asphalt.

Yeah man, Digestives are the tits. Especially the dark chocolate ones. Colony countries go!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here