Escapist Expo: The British Expatriate Panel

Pages PREV 1 2

I reckon this is the best panel. I may end up rewatching this one several times, so many laughs.

Not British here, but I do love me some digestives.

I love how you can tell that the audience is unsure how to respond to some of what they're saying.
I bet there's a million Americans who think they're comedic geniuses and although they're pretty funny, they're really just very Brittish and European in general, as in we think and speak differently than the US, which is a very dominant country on the intarwebs, culturally.

I love pubs, but then again I'm Danish, not Brittish.

Three expats hating Britain, what a surprise. Being an expat myself, it gets dull listening to expats who have been out of the UK for a decade, commenting on the current situation in the UK (of which they have no full understanding)
Although Jim is correct about that wall we're building to keep out the northerners.

I loved their initial conversation about Knightmare and that nobody had any idea what they're talking about.

Li Mu:
Three expats hating Britain, what a surprise. Being an expat myself, it gets dull listening to expats who have been out of the UK for a decade, commenting on the current situation in the UK (of which they have no full understanding)
Although Jim is correct about that wall we're building to keep out the northerners.

I loved their initial conversation about Knightmare and that nobody had any idea what they're talking about.

They don't hate Britain. All three left for women. TB and Jim are both married and both with stepchildren. And TB only left a year or two ago.
It's kind of self-deprecating humor that is common among some cultures. I think it depends on history of the culture.

It might have been a last minute thing, but I WISH the other videos had as good sound as this one. Sadly that's the only reason that made me stay away from the others.

...how many people rocked up to this Expo? Sounds like the panel had a max of like, a few hundred.

Sounds like my fucking DREAM. When I went to EB Expo and PAX Aus it was completely, utterly, FUCKING PACKED AS SHIT. Couldn't get into a single panel without lining up 90 minutes beforehand.

The way they describe Britain, it sounds like Germany but with worse weather and a bit more hooligans... xD
there is the same amount of shameful feelings surrounding everyone as soon as someone mentions any religious figure or quote, and as soon as you have a german flag anywhere near you when there is no ongoing Football world/eurocup everyone looks at you like you're a Nazi xD And don't you dare singing along the freakin anthem!

well but at least we have better weather :P

Evonisia:
I didn't realise how British I was until after this video. I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed of it or not now.

You should be proud, but then embarrassed of your pride. Like the rest of us Brits.

It is true about us Brits being the masters of casual racism but we have the innate ability to hate everyone and everything, and that includes ourselves and our own culture. Basically we are good at hating everything and taking the piss out of everything as well, sometimes snidely with sarcasm.

However we don't like other people saying that we are crap. We can say we are crap, but not anyone else, that's just not cricket!

(cricket being a game that seems to be only played by us and the former colonies, who are now much better at it than us :P)

Muspelheim:
I wonder if Yatzhee will one day stand up to his ankles in exotic dildoes following this.

Yeah, I think there's a certain grim inevitability to that.

Great panel, though. A pleasure to watch and I really enjoyed seeing the three relax and answer non-game related questions. Also I'd always been a bit curious as to why they'd left and where they were initially from, and it's so satisfying to have those questions answered. Cheers!

Evonisia:
I didn't realise how British I was until after this video. I'm not sure whether I should be ashamed of it or not now.

Depends mostly on whether you read the Guardian/Independent/Huff Post or not. If you do then you have to be ashamed of everything, Yatzhee's white guilt blitherings, a tedious spot of trendy posturing in otherwise generally entertaining material, are a good example of the Guardianista's groundless, self-flagellating take on the world. :)

Oh, giving digestives to a British person is like catnip to us. If you want our attention just break out a packet of those and a decent pot of tea and we'll happily (yet passive aggressively) pretend to listen to whatever it is you're saying.

i got bored n bailed after 5 mins, couldnt take more of the stereotypes. shame, love Jim

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here