The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: Dead Heat

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Schlocktober 2013: Dead Heat

Dead Heat mixes 80s buddy cop movies with zombies.

Watch Video

I remember watching this as a kid. It seemed so normal back then, but now I can only go, "WTF did I just see?"

That looks great! But I'd be tempted to say you might want to put an age warning on it just for a couple of mini-moments. Not sure I'd be comfortable with my kids seeing it.

I loved the bit with the two zombies just shooting the shit out of each other for two minutes. Worth the price of admittance right there.

I was eating lunch during this. :(

The only thing that EVER made me watch that film was Vincent Price.
The rest of it I could take or leave.

Flatfrog:
I loved the bit with the two zombies just shooting the shit out of each other for two minutes. Worth the price of admittance right there.

That was hilarious. Hell, the whole thing looks hilarious.

And this goes straight to the top of my "must watch" list.

Edit - And it's on Netflix. Hells yeah.

[200: Stream not found.] All better now.

As it happens, I saw this movie about 25 years ago. My then-boss, Reichart, would watch movies while he worked. As he later told us, he got to the point where the armed robbers were being examined and the M.E. says, "They've had autopsies," at which point he rewound the tape (yes, kids, we used videotape back then), called his staff into his office and said, "We should all see this."

It was a fun movie. Can't wait to see what MovieBob thought of it...

"Kill this guy, won't you?"

I'm suddenly curious if somebody ever made a buddy cop movie with a vampire or a werewolf or maybe a centaur.

The cow does not make that scene more awesome. That is some grade A Nightmare Fuel Plus when that thing walks in.

While I still think zombies are overrated... this actually sounds like something fun.

...Though some of the more gory bits might throw me off...

Bob: "Are you getting sick of zombies yet?"
Me: "Yep, same as I was with vampires."
Interesting analysis, Bob. I suppose modern action movie heroes brood and question themselves so much is BECAUSE the action movie heroes of yore did so little of it, so the modern ones try to appear "smarter". Sometimes it works, sometimes it's boring. Another awesome throwback.

"Lady, I'm f***in' dead."

That line alone sold me on this movie. That, and Joe Piscopo's ridiculous mullet. Vincent Price as a villain is just icing on the cake.

I LOVE Dead Heat. I watched it recently on Netflix and it wins my heart for how well it blends comedy, action and horror into something truly entertaining. By today's standards the movie may be a joke, but it takes itself seriously enough that I can appreciate the laughs it offers, instead of feeling like the actors/script are trying to force me to laugh by blatantly pointing out how ridiculous things are. Yes it might be ridiculous to me, but this is your reality so live in it!

Also Vincent Price's cameo was a real unexpected treat. It might be less so since it's been mentioned in this video but I definitely clapped like an excited toddler when I saw him.

Zombie movies are super overdone, IMO, but this one's fun enough to watch over and over again. It is cheesy and delicious.

Ken_J:
The cow does not make that scene more awesome. That is some grade A Nightmare Fuel Plus when that thing walks in.

The Chinese Room porbably could have learned something from that scene in its entirety.

OT: I'll definitely be checking this out as soon as I get the chance. It looks pretty amazing.

It's nice to see a completely different take on the whole zombie phenomenon. I liked the original voodoo but that doesn't make them a good main monster. And why would anyone want to make a virus that turns people into soulless cannibals? This time at least there's some brains behind their creation.

themilo504:
I'm suddenly curious if somebody ever made a buddy cop movie with a vampire or a werewolf or maybe a centaur.

There was Nick Knight, starring Rick Springfield, about a vampire detective in LA. It was spun-off into the Canadian TV series Forever Knight, which was pretty good for its time (early 1990s) but might feel dated today. Nick has two human partners over the course of the series, one who never knew Nick was a vampire, and one who knew vampires existed, but didn't know Nick was one.

A series with a somewhat similar premise was Blood Ties.

Also Kindred: The Embraced, the only live-action adaptation of the Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop RPG. The main character was an LA cop who learned that vampires were real, but didn't realize his partner was a vampire sent to spy on him.

Innocent Blood is a movie where an undercover cop trying to bring down the Mafia teams up with the vampire who accidentally made the mob boss into a vampire. It's kind of cheesy but a lot of fun too.

For werewolves, there was the Mario Van Peebles film Full Eclipse, but it's not really a buddy cop movie. It's about a special anti-gang unit of the police who are werewolves.

Vampire and werewolf cops and private detectives are really popular in urban fantasy fiction as well.

But what I'd like to see is a buddy cop movie where a vampire and a werewolf are partners.

HOLY SMOKES!, that movie looks freaking awesome! :D

CAPTCHA: tastes like chicken. You disgust me captcha...

Oh, man, I loved this movie so much as a child. I wasn't into horror or gore at all. In fact, it freaked me out quite a bit, but for some reason I could sit through Dead Heat and see nothing but cheesy fun and cool action.

Oh, the implications of the main character being dead and his progressive decomposition probably affected me more than they did the character, but that just helped it go from corny action-comedy to something altogether more impactful. Had it gone past the line I probably wouldn't have been able to endure it, but I think it just accidentally straddled it for me. Maybe that's why it's remembered.

Well this is a movie I'll want to see :)

Blunderboy:
And this goes straight to the top of my "must watch" list.

Edit - And it's on Netflix. Hells yeah.

Mine too.

The chinese restaurant scene sold it for me.

That and the cheesy 80s one liners. :D

I remember renting this movie as a kid. Me and my dad were both really into buddy cop movies and this seemed right up our alley, until one died and was brought back. I absolutely dug the movie, my dad not so much.

I notice that Bob mentions all the cool quasi enjoyable or at least tolerable parts of this movie, and somehow neglects the true level of pain inducing suck that is Joe Piscopo in it? I saw it in the 80's. It made m y brain and eyes hurt then. I tried to rewatch it recently. I just don't think I can get that drunk anymore.

That has to be my favorite zombie interpretation. If zombie related crap is not very funny, it gets really boring.

Sorry, Bob. But I'd rather take constantly QQing Jason Bourne, than whatever this pile of nonsense was. Quality over cheese and all that.

I remember this movie. I also remember that the scene in the Chinese Buther shop damn near made me go Veg for good.

Anyways, fun little cheesy movie.

This... ..this would actually probably make for a decent remake/revival.

you know.

ever year, there's at least one movie in these that actually looks pretty awesome. I believe this is this years movie for that.

themilo504:

if that ankh-morpork city watch series ever gets off the ground, you'll likely have a werewolf, vampire, gorgon, gnome, troll, dwarf, zombie and even human-who-was-raised-as-a-dwarf as potential buddies.

Lunar Templar:
you know.

ever year, there's at least one movie in these that actually looks pretty awesome. I believe this is this years movie for that.

Well, I think we have two at least, considering bio-zombie last week

R...Roger Mortis?

oh my god i think im having a heart attack ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa

"Roger Mortis, Homicide" sounds like a pitch for a TV series to me.

Also, gotta love Vincent Price basically parodying himself.

Falseprophet:
But what I'd like to see is a buddy cop movie where a vampire and a werewolf are partners.

Yes!

Nice list of recommendations, by the way. I haven't heard of Full Eclipse before.

I've been really impressed by the picks this Shlocktober, my girlfriend and I have enjoyed them all, especially Bio-Zombie.

Right off the bat I'm confused. While I agree with the view of it feeling like there's a new zombie something every week, did you have to pick old examples for each medium? Also I'm not sure Left 4 Dead is on the same level in the game industry as that Trejo B-movie is in the film industry...

...and again, why are you ripping on Zulu? In no way was that film on a character, tonal or contextual level a "zombie film". It's a war epic/biopic about a real battle, hordes and all. If anything it takes the imperial mentality the British had down by a huge peg by its conclusion. Did you look beyond that old outdated poster you flashed up? One I've only seen here mind you.

Multiple niggles aside, another great Schlocktober. On paper this genre mash up makes my intrigued. Recently we've also had the romantic comedy so maybe some other genre perhaps? Sports or costume drama maybe? This film seems like something that would be imbraced by teh internet if made today.

Love that non-stop close range shoot out haha! So far all films in Schlocktober have at least one kickass scene to remember, hope we get more in the coming weeks.

I remember watching this movie years ago and it was wonderful. My favorite thing about it is far from wallowing in misery, it manages to maintain a rather disturbingly upbeat tone, even when what's happening to the characters is utterly horrific.

Two zombies blasting each other with machine guns over and over just made my day :D .

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here