The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: Dead Heat

Pages PREV 1 2

Blunderboy:

Edit - And it's on Netflix. Hells yeah.

YES!!!

Doodeedoodeedoo, log into netflix, type up Dead Heat, click search:

Dead Heat is unavailable to stream

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- oh well.

I was honestly excited for a moment as many of these schlocktober films looks like they could be fun to watch in the same way that intentionally blowing your line in a play to redirect the course of the plot to through everyone else off and mutually having a good laugh. Unfortunately none, absolutely none of them have appeared on the Canadian version of netflix.

I am almost certain I've seen that movie...

Ken_J:
The cow does not make that scene more awesome. That is some grade A Nightmare Fuel Plus when that thing walks in.

Really? I thought that bit was absolutely flipping hilarious! The part where all the meat comes back to life, careful, your dinner might take revenge on you! Worth watching just for A: 2 zombies blow the shit out of each other with machine guns for a 2 full minutes, B: fighting the hunk of beef C: the butcher shop scene, and D: Treat Williams is awesome. "I'm ****ing dead, lady!"

Falseprophet:

themilo504:
I'm suddenly curious if somebody ever made a buddy cop movie with a vampire or a werewolf or maybe a centaur.

There was Nick Knight, starring Rick Springfield, about a vampire detective in LA. It was spun-off into the Canadian TV series Forever Knight, which was pretty good for its time (early 1990s) but might feel dated today. Nick has two human partners over the course of the series, one who never knew Nick was a vampire, and one who knew vampires existed, but didn't know Nick was one.

A series with a somewhat similar premise was Blood Ties.

Also Kindred: The Embraced, the only live-action adaptation of the Vampire: The Masquerade tabletop RPG. The main character was an LA cop who learned that vampires were real, but didn't realize his partner was a vampire sent to spy on him.

Innocent Blood is a movie where an undercover cop trying to bring down the Mafia teams up with the vampire who accidentally made the mob boss into a vampire. It's kind of cheesy but a lot of fun too.

For werewolves, there was the Mario Van Peebles film Full Eclipse, but it's not really a buddy cop movie. It's about a special anti-gang unit of the police who are werewolves.

Vampire and werewolf cops and private detectives are really popular in urban fantasy fiction as well.

But what I'd like to see is a buddy cop movie where a vampire and a werewolf are partners.

I've actually seen Full Eclipse. Not bad but its been a long time since I've seen it.

Would be cool to see a vampire/werewolf 80s buddy cop action movie. =)

I think we may have an early contender for this year's best Schlocktober entry.

A Zombie-themed 80s buddy cop movie with Joe Piscopo AND Vincent Price in it? XD Where the hell was this in my video store?!

I've check the IMDB website and found out that it also had Robert Ricardo (of Star Trek Voyager and The Howling fame) and Lethal Weapon writer and Iron Man 3 director Shane Black!

Good news is that its out on DVD and Blu-Ray on Amazon. Definitely will track this down.

AJey:
Sorry, Bob. But I'd rather take constantly QQing Jason Bourne, than whatever this pile of nonsense was. Quality over cheese and all that.

How can you take quality over cheese when they are the same thing? :D

An eighties cop buddy action comedy with zombies... If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe it.

Also unbelievable, that the response to "Detective Mortis, Homicide" wasn't "Is that your department or your cause of death?"

This one actually looks like a fun movie to watch.

Am I the only one who really, really loves 80's buddy cop movie banter? I just think it's goddamn hilarious.

At first glance I thought the dude behind the counter who shot Mortis was Will Arnett.

And yeah...re-animated zombie cow is pretty awesome.

That carcass is horrifying to me. Looks like a real fun movie apart from the villains, though. This is the movie you've told us about that I most want to see except for the Orca.

You know that part with the cow meat could be made into a great video game horror creature since it's quite scary looking! It kind of look like a giant headcrab!

OK 5:19-5:40 is pretty spectacular.

I can't look at Joe Piscopo and not immediately think of the TNG episode where Data tries to learn stand-up comedy from him.

Stabby Joe:
why are you ripping on Zulu? In no way was that film on a character, tonal or contextual level a "zombie film". It's a war epic/biopic about a real battle, hordes and all. If anything it takes the imperial mentality the British had down by a huge peg by its conclusion. Did you look beyond that old outdated poster you flashed up? One I've only seen here mind you.

Bob has used "Zulu" as a reference to racism before in his Warm Bodies review so it looks like he's still persisting in his ignorant reading of that film. I'm not sure how someone who claims to be a movie critic could look at a film like "Zulu" and claim it promotes an imperialistic or racist message.

Pvt Hook: (after being told to prepare for the Zulu attack) "What for? Did I ever see a Zulu walk down the City road? No! So what am I doing here?"

THANK YOU! I had always wonder what that movie on TV was. I had just happened upon it when I was 10 and only ever remembered the reanimated cow. I thought it was so cool and weird.

MikeN:

Stabby Joe:
why are you ripping on Zulu? In no way was that film on a character, tonal or contextual level a "zombie film". It's a war epic/biopic about a real battle, hordes and all. If anything it takes the imperial mentality the British had down by a huge peg by its conclusion. Did you look beyond that old outdated poster you flashed up? One I've only seen here mind you.

Bob has used "Zulu" as a reference to racism before in his Warm Bodies review so it looks like he's still persisting in his ignorant reading of that film. I'm not sure how someone who claims to be a movie critic could look at a film like "Zulu" and claim it promotes an imperialistic or racist message.

Pvt Hook: (after being told to prepare for the Zulu attack) "What for? Did I ever see a Zulu walk down the City road? No! So what am I doing here?"

Also I've not seen a a zombie film where the undead plan their attack, probe defenses, steal weaponry then use them of their owners, engage in night ambushes, warned not be underestimated and eventually come to respect and salute their enemy...

...yeah, racist zombie standins.

Falseprophet:
Sorta obscure buddy cop movies snip

Mmmmm you seem to know a lot. While not a super natural buddy cop movie maybe you can tell me the name of this movie, I only saw the ending and never knew the name. It looks like its about a corrupt politician who cheated by making the dead vote for him. Suddenly the dead come back from the grave and the usual stuff happens. By the end the zombies have the politician who tanks to their votes has become the president. When it seems like they're about to eat him they suddenly start asking him what he's going to do for them since they voted for him and how he isn't one of them. So they turn him into a zombie and he becomes the first zombie president of the U.S.A. I watched this once and ended being "WTF was that" and never saw that movie again.

Scarim Coral:
You know that part with the cow meat could be made into a great video game horror creature since it's quite scary looking! It kind of look like a giant headcrab!

It instantly made me think of the reanimated hunks of beef from the zombie level on Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Wow, Bob made it almost 45 seconds without using the word "racism" or "racist".

That has to be some sort of record.

On the plus side, this movie was awesome.

I loved this movie when I was in my mid-teens! No one I know can remember it. People are usually like "Red Heat? The Schwarzenegger movie?" Grrrr.
Thanks Bob, now I've got somewhere to point them.

Is it just me, or did the scene where Treat Williams and undead(?) security guard try to out-Uzi each other to death remind anyone of playing Call of Duty Multiplayer? Two dudes just standing emptying clips into each other until one of them is dead.

MovieBob:
Schlocktober 2013: Dead Heat

Dead Heat mixes 80s buddy cop movies with zombies.

Watch Video

I gave Dead Heat a go, and really liked it (so did my wife).

Thanks Bob.

WHY ISNT THERE A REMAKE OF THIS YET?!?!?

Give it to the guys who did the Evil Dead remake and I'll watch it infinity times.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here