Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 4: Eye Spy

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 4: Eye Spy

The series that proves you don't need to look like a million bucks so long as you can deliver a sense of wonder - as in, "I wonder which sliver of Avengers movie continuity or Marvel Universe arcana will make a teasing verbal cameo this time!"

Read Full Article

They can do everything except act like actual secret agents. At the point where...

...I felt like I was watching an episode of American Dad.

But at least the 'conflict' between Skye and Grant isn't as superficial as it was in the last episode.

Technically they could reinvent H.A.M.M.E.R. as an evil counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D.
I wouldn't put it past them...

Is there one person whose job it is to keep track of all this?

Yes, why do you think they have Joss Whedon in charge until he's done with Avengers 3, and in Charge of Agents of Shield? His job is to be the Marvel Bullpen all rolled up into one human being.

I expect the rear-echelon support newbs to be incompetent in action scenes. But Ward should have shown a bit more thought when he was spoofing Amadour's eye-feed. Getting nailed by the mirror was fine, that's the kind of mistake even a professional can stumble into in a crisis situation. But shouldn't he have worn gloves in the first place in case his hands showed up in the feed and the handler saw he was clearly not black? Maybe wear clothing more like what she would wear? I'm not even looking down at my hands as I type this and I can see the skin colour of my hands just in my peripheral vision.

Also, I might be misinformed, but I thought most non-native speakers throughout the Eastern Hemisphere who learn English usually learn British English. Can you really assume that someone who uses British terminology is necessarily an Englishman, and not from the Continent, or even Asia or Africa? For that matter, could you even assume he was a man?

That's just a bit of nitpicking though. This episode was much better than the previous three. If they can keep this up, they just might have a good series on their hands.

Even though the after-credits scene was only for the humor on face-value, but I do think that

DVS BSTrD:
They can do everything except act like actual secret agents. At the point where...

*Skye readies her gun, drawing on her expert, focused training from one of the world's most professional spy organizations...gun clip falls off*

Why do they keep sending her on missions if she's the most likely to get everyone killed? Even without her dubious connections that is a MASSIVE liability.

vid87:

DVS BSTrD:

*Skye readies her gun, drawing on her expert, focused training from one of the world's most professional spy organizations...gun clip falls off*

Why do they keep sending her on missions if she's the most likely to get everyone killed? Even without her dubious connections that is a MASSIVE liability.

And she can't reach the gas pedal because Grant is a foot taller then her? I know women aren't supposed to be good with cars (joke), but if you're too dumb to sit on the edge of the driver seat, then how the fuck did you figure out hacking?

And The Asset: Actually prepping the novice to infiltrate the villain's party as a double agent? HELL NO! We need more half-assed combat training because Joss thinks he's writing a scene between Buffy and Angel and they need all the sexual tension they can get. And Coulsen wore a suit in an open air, open ocean inflatable boat? Did they blow the costume budget on Skye's dress?

One other Coulson tidbit from the episode that was very very interesting. In the opening scene he is up in the cockpit with Melinda May lamenting whether it is too late for him to learn to fly, and how nice it must be. May gives him several strange looks at this.

Nitpicking from sweden, Loved the inclusion of sergels torg and even the polite Thank you by Agent Coulson. but then they claim they flew to Belorussia all the country and road scenes were obviously filmed in sweden and the town/city Scene on a set. could they have planned to have the whole episode in sweden and they just changed it, or did they just feel that they didn't want to film in two seperate locations?

usually_Insane:
Nitpicking from sweden, Loved the inclusion of sergels torg and even the polite Thank you by Agent Coulson. but then they claim they flew to Belorussia all the country and road scenes were obviously filmed in sweden and the town/city Scene on a set. could they have planned to have the whole episode in sweden and they just changed it, or did they just feel that they didn't want to film in two seperate locations?

It's just budget constraints. Having an exotic filming location kind of limits your ability to have another one when the show isn't based out of EU. Imagine having to fly to Sweden for a couple of scenes and then to Belarus for an even smaller portion of the episode and THEN go back to the U.S. to clean up anything else. It's straining on top of everything else. Also, most would probably not detect that it's the same locale. I certainly didn't, and I'm from that side of the world x)

*checks website*
Hmm.. nope, I'm not on Moviemistakes.com. I swear I feel like I'm on nitpickers forum whenever I read the threads on these things..
Gods forbid they find a way to inject humor into the series.

Good episode all around. SHIELD continues to pick up steam, in my opinion. Getting smoother by the episode.

Haven't seen it yet (and only skimmed the article to avoid getting too many spoilers), but when I saw the Wrecking Crew highlighted I was kinda disappointed to find out they weren't in the episode. I'd like to see some proper marvel villains crop up in the series.
I feel this series has some interesting potential but is struggling to find momentum. I'm getting quite fed up with Skye, both as a character and an actress.

The telepathy exchange was pretty weird, in that I thought it was silly how they'd shoot down that aspect in a universe filled superhumans, aliens, portals to other worlds, gods, and even possibly MAGIC! Eh, hopefully there will be a psychic villain or character at some point to prove them wrong.

I wonder if in real life, a bunch of masked guys with briefcases entering a subway wouldn't be flagged as terrorists by some automated system.

Sgt. Sykes:
I wonder if in real life, a bunch of masked guys with briefcases entering a subway wouldn't be flagged as terrorists by some automated system.

I was also confused by this part. If this happened in NYC, someone would have Tweeted about it, and then the police would have also shown up to ask what the hell was going on and asking them to open their cases. I also got some weird flashbacks to the London underground bombings.

Manthraxx:
Technically they could reinvent H.A.M.M.E.R. as an evil counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D.

I really hope they don't, I want H.A.M.M.E.R. to show up...in about 8 years when all the pieces are in place for a Dark Reign movie/series, wasting the organization now while the good guys are still on top would suck, I loved the desperation the groups like The Dark Avengers brought to the Marvel Universe. When the good guys had to hide in basements and back alleys and the villains ruled the boardrooms and media.

As for the episode, I was really excited to see the Asian dude with the flame generating powers, I also though Sunfire for sure! Then I remembered Sunfire is a mutant so they probably won't touch him, which makes me sad because he's such an awesome, surly character, like Wolverine only with 10 times the pride.

Trisha Lynn:

Sgt. Sykes:

I was also confused by this part. If this happened in NYC, someone would have Tweeted about it, and then the police would have also shown up to ask what the hell was going on and asking them to open their cases. I also got some weird flashbacks to the London underground bombings.

We wouldn't get worried about something like this in Sweden. In fact, I can totally imagine that some group of people will organize and re-enact that entire scene for laughs. My best friend has that exact same mask(except white) that he likes to wear, if I told him about this episode he would most likely go outside with it more often.

We actually had a terrorist once. Had 8 bombs on him if I remember correctly. Only 1 blew up, and that one blew up inwards. Only managed killed himself and broke a window.

Makabriel:
*checks website*
Hmm.. nope, I'm not on Moviemistakes.com. I swear I feel like I'm on nitpickers forum whenever I read the threads on these things..
Gods forbid they find a way to inject humor into the series.

It's not very humorous when it's unbelievable that it would even happen. That's just sloppy. Plenty of shows have humor but their humor doesn't cause tons of plot holes.

Anyway, the episode was alright but it wasn't anything special. It was once again filled with plot holes. Normally I don't mind a few of them but with this show, it's way too often. When they happen so often, it puts me in a much more negative mood while watching.

NathLines:

Trisha Lynn:

Sgt. Sykes:

We wouldn't get worried about something like this in Sweden. In fact, I can totally imagine that some group of people will organize and re-enact that entire scene for laughs. My best friend has that exact same mask(except white) that he likes to wear, if I told him about this episode he would most likely go outside with it more often.

We actually had a terrorist once. Had 8 bombs on him if I remember correctly. Only 1 blew up, and that one blew up inwards. Only managed killed himself and broke a window.

On top of the fact that they were transporting diamonds and were trained, which probably means local authorities would be at least somewhat informed since the whole point of the "50 identically dressed men none of whom know who has the right case" is so that if the info of the cargo leaked, there'd be no good way to identify the right one. I'm kind of confused why people are so estranged by this.

RedDeadFred:
It's not very humorous when it's unbelievable that it would even happen. That's just sloppy. Plenty of shows have humor but their humor doesn't cause tons of plot holes.

Anyway, the episode was alright but it wasn't anything special. It was once again filled with plot holes. Normally I don't mind a few of them but with this show, it's way too often. When they happen so often, it puts me in a much more negative mood while watching.

Dem plot holes.

If you know what I'm saying.

Two things:
1) No-one else notice that Shang-Chi was namedropped? They used the name as that of a province (which doesn't exist), but still a pretty nice easter egg.
2) When Amador asks what's been done to Coulson, could her curiosity have been not so much a result of her being his former protégé, and more to do with her x-ray vision? I'm still on board for theories about such things as L.M.D.'s, The Vision and even Ultron.

MovieBob:
Early on, Skye posits that telepathic abilities would explain the abnormal effectiveness of the mystery jewel thief. That doesn't seem like an unlikely prospect given that this is a world of aliens, transdimensional portals and Vikings gods, but it's immediately shot down with the explanation that telepathy is not among the supernatural phenomena that have been confirmed to exist thus far in this universe.

The fact that none of the Red Masks knew what they had in their briefcase's would also, to me, suggest that telepathic powers would have been around as useful as a smack about the head.

It was a great episode, imo, and it added another hint that Agent Coulson is not really himself. As for who the big bad is, in regards to the cyber-eye and the centipede, I'm guessing A.I.M. or possibly a new form of HYDRA. Hope this leads to MODOK or Baron von Strucker popping up on the show.

Falseprophet:
I'm not even looking down at my hands as I type this and I can see the skin colour of my hands just in my peripheral vision.

No you can't.
That's not humanly possible.

You may think it is, but it's not.

Human vision is in black and white on the peripheral.
When you're stopped at a stoplight and a car pulls up in your peripheral vision don't look at it. Just keep it in the peripheral and try to guess what color it is. You CAN NOT do it.

The photoreceptive cells in your eyes come in two types - rods and cones.
* Rods are sensitive to light intensity - darkness and light, and don't perceive color. Rods are almost entirely responsible for your nightvision, which is why you see almost no color in the dark.
* Cones are completely responsible for your ability to see color.

The scattering of rods and cones in the human eye make it impossible to see color in your peripheral vision. The center of your retina contains a dense mixture of rods and cones which give you your normal vision. As you move outwards from the center the cones rapidly become more sparse, and by the time you get to the parts of your retina where the light processed for peripheral vision is received...there are only rods, or at least a meaningless number of cones.

Your peripheral vision is entirely black and white. You just don't notice because the fade from the color in the center of your eye is so gradual, and it's what you've spent your whole life being used to.

-

Perhaps more importantly, her eye was a camera, or at least the video feed her handler was receiving was that of a camera. Cameras don't have peripheral vision.
*shrug*

I liked this episode well enough. The tone from the previous one carried over, which I like far better than the first two episodes. It's one thing to have comedic relief to break up the tension, but it's another thing entirely to have forced, awkward humor in my face. That said, at least the two technicians aren't as annoying as when they first appeared. I still dislike Skye.

On a side note, anyone else want to see a comic book mini-series about Mei? She doesn't necessarily need to be shoehorned into Marvel universe canon. Just a story about some previous mission she took part in prior to the films/TV show. And not even the one that resulted in her requesting to be a deskjockey.

Right Hook:

Manthraxx:

I really hope they don't, I want H.A.M.M.E.R. to show up...in about 8 years when all the pieces are in place for a Dark Reign movie/series, wasting the organization now while the good guys are still on top would suck, I loved the desperation the groups like The Dark Avengers brought to the Marvel Universe. When the good guys had to hide in basements and back alleys and the villains ruled the boardrooms and media.

As for the episode, I was really excited to see the Asian dude with the flame generating powers, I also though Sunfire for sure! Then I remembered Sunfire is a mutant so they probably won't touch him, which makes me sad because he's such an awesome, surly character, like Wolverine only with 10 times the pride.

It doesn't rule it out, they just have to tweak his story a little, make him a super soldier experiment and the character would still work. I'm thinking it is a fan fake out though.

As long as the enemy organisation doesn't turn out to just be Rising Tide, which would be lame as hell and cliché, any of them would be fine.

Ferisar:
On top of the fact that they were transporting diamonds and were trained, which probably means local authorities would be at least somewhat informed since the whole point of the "50 identically dressed men none of whom know who has the right case" is so that if the info of the cargo leaked, there'd be no good way to identify the right one. I'm kind of confused why people are so estranged by this.

The only bit that seemed off to me was that only a handful of people seemed mildly curious about these guys. I'd think people would be at least somewhat more interested in such a spectacle.

Absimilliard:
When Amador asks what's been done to Coulson, could her curiosity have been not so much a result of her being his former protégé, and more to do with her x-ray vision? I'm still on board for theories about such things as L.M.D.'s, The Vision and even Ultron.

Amador's emphatic reiteration seemed a pretty clear indication that she meant she'd seen something with her "x-ray vision".
I may well be wrong but I also have the inkling that Coulson's frequent musings about Tahiti being a "magical place" may actually be Coulson himself (not just the writers) hint dropping that he knows something more happened than he has been told. Though, now that I think a bit more on it, it is perhaps more probable that he has been "programmed" (one way or another, perhaps even with "nonexistent" telepathic abilities) to default to pleasant implanted memories specifically designed to relieve any anxiety or dissonance caused by thinking about his death and "convalescence" too much. Maybe that's not his patented "knowing" smile but rather a smile caused by an induced state of "blissful ignorance". Possibly even both?

I kinda thought that the "But what did they do to him?" line had more to do with seeing him with x-ray vision than "his personality has totally changed".

So far, this show is not impressing me. I wanted this to be so good. I know enough about comics to follow most of the characters and mcguffins. With the first episode i was excited to see that orange glowy stuff that was featured in Iron Man 3, and then they never tied it to the mandarin or mentioned they had seen the stuff before, was a let down.

I dont read the comics much, so im probably missing alot of references, but so far the show just seems to be:
Step 1-fight random bad guy, Step 2-collect/destroy random item, 3-forget about it and move to the next random bad guy. I dont see how any of this junk is connected, i dont see some grand story unfolding, i see episodes that could be watched in any order. Its like watching Startrek to me, unless your deeply interested in slowly changing character dynamics (ERMERGURD they almost kissed that time, FINALLY), the planet-of-the-week backdrop is not enough to keep me interested.

And Agent Coulson makes me think of vader. When we knew nothing about him he seemed a total bad ass. Now that iv seen him as a main character, switching between omnipotent planner and clueless old dog... Ugg. He should have stayed dead from avangers.

Every damn episode iv seen someone says "hey maybe we should get help from that huge badass agency we all work for instead of Mystery Van-ing this ourselves again"

And Coilson always replies "WE CAN DO THIS ON YOUR OWN, I mean i dont have something to prove... Also we already had Samuel L Jackson in one of the episodes for 2 min. so thats our "outside help" budget for the season."

Didnt know Joss Whedon was in charge of this till now, it shows, i HATE firefly, and many of the reasons i hated it are showing up here

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here