Escapist Expo: Miracle Of Sound Live At MotorCo

Miracle Of Sound Live At MotorCo

Check out Miracle of Sound live at the Escapist Expo 2013!

Watch Video

Bloody great show. Gutted that I missed it.

Is it supposed to be audio only?

Wow! Awesome show. Would love to see you live one day.

Must've been glorious!

Gav, if some fans were to campaign for it really hard, would you be willing to play live at gamescom as well, or is that a one time deal for home sweet escapist?

Crazy Zaul:
Is it supposed to be audio only?

No. Definately a video.

I enjoyed it (did prefer last year's song set however), but the live guitar was a very good addition. As were multi-angle camera. We could see the majesty of Gav's hair from many angles.

I wanna know why Take It Back never made it onto the escapist? My desire to hear that live cannot be expressed in mere words.

I had no idea Miracle of Sound was going to be doing a gig this year, what with the tinnitus thing...
Delighted for Gavin that he got to perform again.

Looks like an amazing time!

Boba Frag:
I had no idea Miracle of Sound was going to be doing a gig this year, what with the tinnitus thing...

It's amazing, isn't it? I'm hoping for a lot more of these gigs to come.

More. Of. This.

I don't care how.

Any Brit's up for a UK tour? I'd go twice a week if I could!!!

Well mine was just a grey screen with audio but never mind.

WhitbyDragon:
More. Of. This.

I don't care how.

Any Brit's up for a UK tour? I'd go twice a week if I could!!!

I'd definitely attend an Escapist UK expo - and I suspect there'd be quite a few more of us. But the logistics of it would be a lot more complicated, I think!

Maybe Gav might be persuaded just to do a gig somewhere in London for us :)

Crazy Zaul:

That happens to me constantly when I pause before the video is allowed to play after the page loads. Try reloading. Works for me.

Could someone create the set list for this video? I'd appreciate that very much.

UtterTramp:

Crazy Zaul:

That happens to me constantly when I pause before the video is allowed to play after the page loads. Try reloading. Works for me.

Could someone create the set list for this video? I'd appreciate that very much.

Setlist added! I knew I was forgetting something when I was editing the videos summary :P

The concert was really good, but it sucks that we've had 2 gigs and no Gordon Freeman Saved My Life. I mean come on, it's the first song he ever wrote!

YES! I've been waiting for this video ever since the concert was announced. Bloody awesome. Wish there was more of the audience's reactions, but that's probably just how the microphones were set up.

Great music, but I really, really cringe at the lyrics. Nothing but gratuitous references to game culture with no real depth behind it. Listening to this, Gavin, I know you can be better than this.

Annihilist:
Great music, but I really, really cringe at the lyrics. Nothing but gratuitous references to game culture with no real depth behind it. Listening to this, Gavin, I know you can be better than this.

'Nothing but gratuitous references' is just hyperbole when the set contains songs like 'The Crush', 'Higher Tonight', 'Dream Of The Sky' 'The New Black Gold' or 'Reclaimer' none of which contain any direct name drop or reference to the source material.

Which game in particular did you think the gratuitous references in 'The Crush' are referring to?

As for Commander Shepard, Nord Mead & the like - Bioware, Bethesda and The 5 million plus people who have viewed those two songs here & on youtube certainly don't seem to find their referencial, tongue in cheek nature a problem.

Do you feel that music is only valid when it is super serious and not made purely for some fun?

It's also important to note this gig spanned a lot of older MOS songs. The lyrical style has changed quite a bit since MOS first started. For reference listen to 'The Best Of Us', 'Digital Shadow' or 'The Day The World Died'

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/7571-The-Day-the-World-Died-Metro-Last-Light

I'd also link you some personal songs but you wouldn't like them, they're just full of gratuitous references to my life.

Annihilist:

You may want to try listening to them again. The reason I like MoS over other artists like Teamheadkick and Borderline Disaster is the fact that he doesn't usually have direct references to the content he's singing about. The ones he does have are usually subtle enough that someone who isn't savvy in gamer culture wouldn't catch them: "Blood on my hands, stumble through uncharted lands."

Basically, MoS is awesome because you don't need to be a gamer to appreciate his lyrics.

MiracleOfSound:

I'd also link you some personal songs but you wouldn't like them, they're just full of gratuitous references to my life.

Haha. This made my day.

I had a ton of fun at the concert, even though I got really... shouty during it. It made the entire trip worth it alone though.

EDIT: Is there any chance of get the 'new' version of Commander Shepard at some point?

Awwwww I wish I could have gone so much this year. Last year was absolutely amazing and this year you played some of my favourite songs!
'The Crush', 'Black Flag' (Twice!!), 'Higher Tonight', 'Halfmans Song' AND 'Dream of the Sky'? I'm sad now.

I vote for a UK MoS gig! I'd travel anywhere in the country for that!

You put on an amazing show Gavin!!!

I have to see you live someday, I swear it.

MiracleOfSound:

Annihilist:

'Nothing but gratuitous references' is just hyperbole when the set contains songs like 'The Crush', 'Higher Tonight', 'Dream Of The Sky' 'The New Black Gold' or 'Reclaimer' none of which contain any direct name drop or reference to the source material.

Which game in particular did you think the gratuitous references in 'The Crush' are referring to?

As for Commander Shepard, Nord Mead & the like - Bioware, Bethesda and The 5 million plus people who have viewed those two songs here & on youtube certainly don't seem to find their referencial, tongue in cheek nature a problem.

Do you feel that music is only valid when it is super serious and not made purely for some fun?

It's also important to note this gig spanned a lot of older MOS songs. The lyrical style has changed quite a bit since MOS first started. For reference listen to 'The Best Of Us', 'Digital Shadow' or 'The Day The World Died'

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/7571-The-Day-the-World-Died-Metro-Last-Light

Yeah, alright, perhaps I was generalising. Although Reclaimer is definitely a name drop.

That's fine if people like your style, it's just not my thing, and I didn't think it was a problem for me to point that out.

So damn amazing.

I wish I could've been there, I wish I could just say "fuck this noise" and go to the Expo (if just for MoS).

Grey Carter:
Bloody great show. Gutted that I missed it.

You and me Both Grey.

NinjaDeathSlap:
I wanna know why Take It Back never made it onto the escapist? My desire to hear that live cannot be expressed in mere words.

Could have sworn I watched it here, but I'm guessing they would have thought it was too inflammatory at the time, what with the split between the users and the staff on their opinion of the game.

MiracleOfSound:

I don't want references to your life, I want to LIVE your life! *sob*

Seriously though Gavin, You've proven to be a wonderful addition to this site and I always look forward to your songs. If I ever managed to actually make any of the movies or TV shows that keep flying around in my head, I wouldn't want anyone else to do the soundtrack.

Two-A:

Boba Frag:

Yeah!
I had the pleasure of seeing Gavin live at Cork's Warpcon a few years back and not only is he fantastic on stage, he's a gent to talk to as well.

We went basically mental as soon as Sovnegarde Song came up lol

Maybe I'll be able to make the next Expo!

DVS BSTrD:

Seriously though Gavin, You've proven to be a wonderful addition to this site and I always look forward to your songs. If I ever managed to actually make any of the movies or TV shows that keep flying around in my head, I wouldn't want anyone else to do the soundtrack.

Cheers :) Nice of you to say! You don't want to live my life by the way lol. Long QT Syndrome heart defect and permanent tinnitus are not something I would wish upon you, and the good stuff in my life is the result of hard work which is attainable to anyone with the drive ;)

MiracleOfSound:

DVS BSTrD:

Cheers :) Nice of you to say! You don't want to live my life by the way lol. Long QT Syndrome heart defect and permanent tinnitus are not something I would wish upon you, and the good stuff in my life is the result of hard work which is attainable to anyone with the drive ;)

And that drive is exactly what I need, it's too easy to keep ideas in my head and put off doing anything about them.

Annihilist:
Although Reclaimer is definitely a name drop.

How Reclaimer name drop of halo? since you said that I am almost to slightly curious but not curious enough to actually look a a halo wiki for a while to figure it out.
I never played an halo game; so I don't know shit about halo. If I was not told the song about halo and never seen anything that hinted in it was halo related I would never have known it was a song based on halo at all.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:

Annihilist:
Although Reclaimer is definitely a name drop.

How Reclaimer name drop of halo? since you said that I am almost to slightly curious but not curious enough to actually look a a halo wiki for a while to figure it out.
I never played an halo game; so I don't know shit about halo. If I was not told the song about halo and never seen anything that hinted in it was halo related I would never have known it was a song based on halo at all.

Master Chief is known by 343 Guilty Spark as the Reclaimer.

Boba Frag:

Two-A:

Boba Frag:

Yeah!
I had the pleasure of seeing Gavin live at Cork's Warpcon a few years back and not only is he fantastic on stage, he's a gent to talk to as well.

If (and that's a big if) I ever manage to book a trip to the US, I'll make sure to do so on the days of the Expo.

Annihilist:

That's fine if people like your style, it's just not my thing, and I didn't think it was a problem for me to point that out.

I think the problem was the (rather condescending) tone of your post, not with you disliking the style.

Two-A:

Boba Frag:

Two-A:

Yeah!

If (and that's a big if) I ever manage to book a trip to the US, I'll make sure to do so on the days of the Expo.

Annihilist:

Fair point.

I think the problem was the (rather condescending) tone of your post, not with you disliking the style.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here