Escapist News Now: Super Mario 3D World - New Gameplay Trailer

Super Mario 3D World - New Gameplay Trailer

Check out all the new abilities and gameplay for the upcoming Super Mario 3D World!

Watch Video

This might be the greatest Mario ever, and is going to sell so many WiiU...including one to me.

Looks like another high-quality albeit safe 3D Mario game.

Presumably after this comes Super Mario 3D Galaxy.

Wonder if it has online play so you can tackle levels with friends from overseas.

Because that would be just gravy.

JCAll:
This might be the greatest Mario ever, and is going to sell so many WiiU...including one to me.

It can't top Galaxy.

But it will still be pretty great.

TizzytheTormentor:
Wonder if it has online play so you can tackle levels with friends from overseas.

Online play would be awesome, but... http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/15/super-mario-3d-world-excludes-online-multiplayer/

The justification is bullshit, of course offline multiplayer is miles better and more fun, but not everyone has access to people willing to play with you.

Full Metal Bolshevik:

TizzytheTormentor:

Online play would be awesome, but... http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/15/super-mario-3d-world-excludes-online-multiplayer/

The justification is bullshit, of course offline multiplayer is miles better and more fun, but not everyone has access to people willing to play with you.

Damn, I have a lot of Escapist friends I would happily play this with, none of my friends in town like Mario (I can play with my cousin and thats it, maybe my sister and her girlfriend when they visit)

Maybe I can coax my dad to play...

Full Metal Bolshevik:

JCAll:

It can't top Galaxy.

From what I see, it will top Galaxy. The "Worlds" combined will probably have 40-something levels in total, and each level shown seems to be as deep as the Fluffy Bluff and Honeybloom Galaxies from Galaxy 2. So it's basically as big as either Galaxy, but with multiplayer and twice the power-ups.

It's certainly a reason to get a Wii U, but that adds up to... 1 or 2 unique and fun games on the system (perhaps counting Wonderful 101, though I heard the touchpad was poorly implemented there). I doubt that matches up to the newest PlayStations (4 and Vita) with a subscription giving out games every week or 2.

Xman490:
It's certainly a reason to get a Wii U, but that adds up to... 1 or 2 unique and fun games on the system (perhaps counting Wonderful 101, though I heard the touchpad was poorly implemented there). I doubt that matches up to the newest PlayStations (4 and Vita) with a subscription giving out games every week or 2.

But Nintendo's had Club Nintendo for a while. It's a bit different; the service itself is free and doesn't require a subscription, but you spend coins you get from buying new games (one-use codes found in physical releases, and digital purchases are tracked by linking your Club account to your system) to get free eShop and Virtual Console games. The selection at any one time is pretty small (four games), but it changes every month.

You can amass coins pretty quickly and there's also a lot of really nice physical goodies you can get if none of the games on display interest you. Tote bags, carrying cases, clothes, posters, or even the old Hanafuda cards they used to make back in the 19th century way before they became a video game company. Plus there's yearly rewards for everyone who manages to earn a certain amount of coins that year.

VinLAURiA:

But Nintendo's had Club Nintendo for a while. It's a bit different; the service itself is free and doesn't require a subscription, but you spend coins you get from buying new games (one-use codes found in physical releases, and digital purchases are tracked by linking your Club account to your system) to get free eShop and Virtual Console games. The selection at any one time is pretty small (four games), but it changes every month.

I don't know about "pretty quickly", as I'm pretty sure the rate is only 1 "coin" per dollar spent and the games available cost $100-or-so-worth of coin earning, disregarding surveys.

Don't get me wrong, it's a better deal than Sony's and Microsoft's rewards programs, which give less than half as much credit per dollar spent. All of them are negligible to me, but what can I say? I've been spoiled by the 75%-off deals of PC gaming.

Xman490:

Full Metal Bolshevik:

JCAll:

It can't top Galaxy.

From what I see, it will top Galaxy. The "Worlds" combined will probably have 40-something levels in total, and each level shown seems to be as deep as the Fluffy Bluff and Honeybloom Galaxies from Galaxy 2. So it's basically as big as either Galaxy, but with multiplayer and twice the power-ups.

Galaxy level design was so top notch I doubt this one will top it. Besides Galaxy is the number 1 game in Gamerankings.

And some reviewers will penalize this game for not having online.

I've kept on looking at videos to get hyped but it still does bugger all for me. It looks alright but it doesn't do anything interesting. They still don't design like they used to. A skill they were really clever at when I got into their games first, just plop whatever wherever now. I haven't seen the whole game though but so far there is nothing in this game I want. Oh well, still waiting for Smash Brothers.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here