The Room

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Room

The Ministry of Pokelove

Read Full Article

There are only 8 Gyms, and the Elite Four are the ultimate challenAAAAHHHHHH!

Team Rocket is watching you...

This is starting to get sinister.

I think we need a Planet of the Apes story arc next. Where the Pokemon rise up and learn to talk, and the humans are forced to battle each other instead.

No, Do it to Serena! Do it to Serena!

Wait... really?

I haven't payed attention since Red/Blue. Are there seriously 700+ of the little bastards running around now?

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a running shoe stamping on a human face - forever."

"To faint hating them, that was freedom."

Zhukov:
Wait... really?

I haven't payed attention since Red/Blue. Are there seriously 700+ of the little bastards running around now?

We're up to the 6th generation now, that's less than 100 in each release.

Wait these banners are all wrong! It's Generation X/Y not Black and White. There is a traitor in the Ministry of Poketruth!

Zhukov:
Wait... really?

My thoughts exactly, and that alone is enough to make me keep my distance. Then there is the possibility of powercreep with all these new pokemon. Don't know how bad it is or if it's even a problem, but I don't want to find out.

I do admire pokemon from a marketing perspective, though. Everything in it is designed to sell. The roundness of Pikachu to attract little kids (boys and girls). The fact that the pokemon talk with their names to help kids remember their names. It has to be one of the most clever marketing schemes of all time. Gotta catch'em all, after all.

Uh, was this humor? No seriously? Am I meant to openly laugh at this? Or chuckle a little bit and say "that's was kinda clever" or what? I know quality control on the Internet is pretty much non-existant but come on. Really?

Yeah, catching them all is now more of a burden than an achievement.

Also, is anyone else confused on how Fairy types are supposedly "newly discovered" Pokemon? What, did the natives of Kalo's just not see them?

SecretNegative:
Uh, was this humor? No seriously? Am I meant to openly laugh at this? Or chuckle a little bit and say "that's was kinda clever" or what? I know quality control on the Internet is pretty much non-existant but come on. Really?

It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are 5 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture) It's a good episode.

TizzytheTormentor:

Also, is anyone else confused on how Fairy types are supposedly "newly discovered" Pokemon? What, did the natives of Kalo's just not see them?

Wait wait. In episode 6 of the original series it was implied that Pokémon might have come from space on comets. It's perfectly possible they arrived just recently on another comet.

OT: Oh man, that poor fella. I wonder what torment he'll be put through next.

I did not catch them all, I did naat.

Oh, hi Oak.

I'm thoroughly disappointed that wasn't the comic. I demand a rewrite.

You can't just title a webcomic "The Room" and then not use a dated meme like that. Goodness. Think of the children.

And despite all my rage, I am still just a Rattata in a cage.

bartholen:

He'll be made to update the PokeRap. With every. Single. One.

Palora:

SecretNegative:

It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are only 3 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture)

It's a 1984 reference. You've got the Ratatta in a cage, the name of the comic being "The Room", and the text being "The Ministry of Pokelove".

I'm rather surprised that no other posts have pointed this out.

Edit: It does look like recruit00 got it.

Edit 2: And SirCannonFodder....

...okay, several posts have obliquely referenced it, but I'm the first pedantic killjoy to reference it specifically.

bartholen:

TizzytheTormentor:

Wait wait. In episode 6 of the original series it was implied that Pokémon might have come from space on comets. It's perfectly possible they arrived just recently on another comet.

So Pokemon are teh aliens?

Also, the professor and other people make no comments about any meteors containing Pokemon recently (or ever)

Zhukov:
Wait... really?

Depends on how you look at it. To me, there are only 250 (Because, before X, Gen 2 was the last time it was good), the rest of the critters running around are just exp in living form.

TizzytheTormentor:

That actually works for me. It happens in real life. You have an animal classified as one thing, until new data becomes available that shows it's no longer compatible, then you stick it in a different or newly created category. People probably thought whales were fish for until we knew differently.

I thought this was about the best movie ever made, but it turns out it was just some obscure indie game.

Kilo24:

Palora:

SecretNegative:

It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are only 3 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture)

It's a 1984 reference. You've got the Ratatta in a cage, the name of the comic being "The Room", and the text being "The Ministry of Pokelove".

I'm rather surprised that no other posts have pointed this out.

I was going to put "Did anybody else get the reference?", but to be honest I thought it was kind of obvious, for the very reasons you described.

Then again, we had to do an essay on Room 101 in English back in school, so I suppose I didn't have any choice in knowing where it was from.

And yet Prof. Oak uses a Gen 1 rodent. Rattata is the most ferocious and terrifying beginning area rodent/small mammal. 1 Hyper Fang critical hit will kill anyone early on, except Geodude.

Fairy type has a superior advantage over dragon type because we say it does.

This should be renamed to Room Electrode.

There are only 151 Pokemon and there are 4 lights!

Thanks, I really needed a reminder of that, the nightmares were almost gone.

Seriously though, nice reference.

Grey Carter:
The Room

The Ministry of Pokelove

Read Full Article

Pretty sure you mean "Room 101" and not "The Room". The Room is an entirely different thing.

As a side note, for those of you who didn't get it; you should totally read 1984. It's a great book and an important piece of literature (IMO).

Antitonic:
And despite all my rage, I am still just a Rattata in a cage.

bartholen:

He'll be made to update the PokeRap. With every. Single. One.

Good reference,sir. WHERE IS HE?! XD

Ishal:
My thoughts exactly, and that alone is enough to make me keep my distance. Then there is the possibility of powercreep with all these new pokemon. Don't know how bad it is or if it's even a problem, but I don't want to find out.

I do admire pokemon from a marketing perspective, though. Everything in it is designed to sell. The roundness of Pikachu to attract little kids (boys and girls). The fact that the pokemon talk with their names to help kids remember their names. It has to be one of the most clever marketing schemes of all time. Gotta catch'em all, after all.

Powercreep is actually not a problem. There are less things being banned from tournament play with each new generation (since DPPt, anyway). The meta game gets mixed up a bit (BW introduced some highly aggressive play that actually worked in the meta, and XY introduced the fairy type, a new way to counter dark, dragon, and fighting types, some of the most obnoxious in tourney play), but no real power creep. What mostly happens is the introduction of new type combinations and movesets, which simply shifts the meta, no powercreep.

Also, because I'm THAT guy, pokemon don't actually say their names. For the first time ever, Pikachu will saay "Pika pika" or some variant thereof on the battlefield, but everyone else still uses their "cries", which are more like animal cries than what the Anime would have you believe. Because as far as those into the games are concerned, the Anime is not, actually, canon.

Palora:

SecretNegative:

It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are 5 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture) It's a good episode.

It's referring to 1984. I think the Star Trek episode you mentioned was actually referring to 1984 as well. There's a scene in 1984 where the main character is being brain washed into thinking that 2+2=5. Both were inspired by the same source material.

I loved this, so much. 1984 is easily one of my favourite books.

A Brazil reference would have been a lot more hip and cool. I'm disappointed in you guys. I thought you were cool.

Freedom is the freedom to say that there are 151 pokemon. If that is granted, all else follows.

I thought a Pokémon's Dex number was based on when they were discovered.

Is that no longer true? Was that never true?

Zhukov:
Wait... really?

Yeah. (Though it may be worth noting that Digimon has had 1100+ for years.)

TizzytheTormentor:

It's even more confusing when you figure that some of the old Pokés are now Fairy type. In Kanto? Useless to dragon. In Hoenn? Useless to dragon. In Kalos? IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Or maybe that's what they WANT you to think!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here