Escape to the Movies: 12 Years a Slave

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

12 Years a Slave

MovieBob gives us an unflinching review of 12 Years a Slave.

Watch Video

How come, of all the people, you MovieBob did not like GTA V? You have been very public about games qestioning status quo, being more engaged in politics and being fun. Well GTA V did all that. In one huge game. IF GTA V was a movie it would be the movie of the decade (well that is one apologist - I, me, myself about that statement). I know I should talk about 12 years, what is the movie again? However after that last statement I'm hoping you talk about it in one of your shows.

MovieBob:
*Snip*

I heard someone needed a pun?
Hey man if that's how they chose to live in that time period, who are we to judge?
To each his owned.

The Townley family heist, I don't see that ending well. I'd probably buy it for the humor of it alone if it existed.
I guess on a more on topic note I didn't really know what to expect from this movie, I only caught short commercials for it as mandatory watches before youtube videos. A least it sounds interesting, but I still need to see Gravity and a few other movies first since I haven't had time to see anything.

Glad you liked the Cap trailer too :D

Are we going to get a "Comics Are Weird" episode about Bucky and/or Falcon? The Winter Soldier arc had some pretty trippy shit going on.

OT: I haven't even heard of this movie. Looks good. Is Brad Pitt in it just put his name on the poster because he doesn't appear to play an important role.

DVS BSTrD:

MovieBob:
*Snip*

Hey man if that's how they chose to live in that time period, who are we to judge?
To each his owned.

Well done, i approve :)

You couldn't think of a pun?
How about "Slave To The audience"?
Or something along that line.
Slave To The Forum Comments
Slave To The Press Screening

X years as a reviewer/journalist

Some things to note before I hit the meat of the review:
- This is the 2nd Fassbender/Pitt movie this week. The other is The Counselor, which is strangely absent, and which I figured you would have reviewed. This is not a bad thing.
- Is Paul Dano just playing his Cowboys and Aliens role mixed with his There Will be Blood role by being a puppy dog with a horrifying seriousness to him? If so, I like it. If not, I like it.
- I didn't know Paul Giamatti was in this.

Onto the review:
I really want to see this, not for any other reason then the fact Michael Fassbender is the actor I am obsessed over at the moment. I watched him in director Steve Mcqueen's previous picture, Shame, which struck me on a very different level, which I own, and find to be a very difficult picture to watch again, but it blew my mind how well it was performed. This looks like another Prisoners movie of something I should watch and I want to watch, but it very well may be too hard to sit through. That being said, I really want to watch it. Great Review, Bob.

Fappy:
Glad you liked the Cap trailer too :D

Are we going to get a "Comics Are Weird" episode about Bucky and/or Falcon? The Winter Soldier arc had some pretty trippy shit going on.

OT: I haven't even heard of this movie. Looks good. Is Brad Pitt in it just put his name on the poster because he doesn't appear to play an important role.

I second a "Comics are Weird" about the Winter Soldier.

And I don't know why they put Pitt on the poster. They've got Cumberbatch and Giamatti if they were just looking to drop names.

It's so frustrating that this movie isn't showing in my town, yet they can still devote two screens to Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. The one "arthouse" cinema we've got is just showing classic horror movies like Nosferatu and Exorcist (And Wallace and Gromit, for some reason).

This time with extra "Boston" ;)

Seriously though why can't they produce a film - about Afro-american character - that does not involve slavery or discrimination? I'm no American but after looking at your film culture I'm having an impression there were no black personalities that excelled in the field of law, medicine, philosophy, physics, politics or diplomacy who are worthy of having a motion picture about them.

"Highly recommended" here should come with an asterisk stating "If you can stomach it."

I, for one, almost couldn't bear to watch the middle part of The Dark Knight Rises, so watching most of a movie that has a character going through pains above and beyond shackles, inadequacy, and shame is something I can't do. Django Unchained had a scene or two like that, but center stage was Django's superhuman ability to shoot half a dozen goons into bloody messes before one could shoot once.

Your video makes me wish I've watched this movie. It doesn't make me want to actually sit through it, but I'd like to reflect on it after having watched it. Strange.

walsfeo:
Your video makes me wish I've watched this movie. It doesn't make me want to actually sit through it, but I'd like to reflect on it after having watched it. Strange.

A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read." Mark Twain.

All those actors and NO advertising what-so-ever....WHY????

cricket chirps:

Holy shit this. I saw the casting and went

"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love her work."
"Nice to see him in a massive budget production."

I mean hot damn, there is so much talent in this movie. It's like the Oscars hunger games.

cricket chirps:

The advertising will come when it's re-released after Oscar season having won everything in sight as a kind of apology (in the minds of the academy) for not being able to recognize Django. Then it will appear with trumpeting "Winner of x Academy awards" banner and make a ton of money on that seal of approval alone. This is a movie, despite being wholly worthwhile and pretty excellent, was created to win Oscars as a way to get it into the black. That's why Steve Mcqueen's directing might actually help this film.

He's a young director who's yet to fully mature his style (He's only really three films in) and as such his "Look at how technically amazing my direction is" style will appeal to the Oscar committee who are not really known for their awarding of subtly (see the pretty accurate "Most directing, most acting, most score" jibes)

Or we could just get another "White people are awesome" movie like "The Help" or another "World war two was full of heroes" movie/ big melodramatic musical and it will be forgotten.

Soooo Oscar-bation movie is Oscar-bation? Yeah, pretty much saw this coming from all the trailers I've seen of the movie.

Jesus, I don't know if I could get through this movie in one sitting, from what i've seen here the horror involved would proberly break me.

The Captain America bit fills me with joy however,

who needs parachutes!

james.sponge:
Seriously though why can't they produce a film - about Afro-american character - that does not involve slavery or discrimination? I'm no American but after looking at your film culture I'm having an impression there were no black personalities that excelled in the field of law, medicine, philosophy, physics, politics or diplomacy who are worthy of having a motion picture about them.

Because this is award bait plain and simple. there have been a few movies about black characters that have nothing to do with slavery or discrimination. They just generally fly under the radar because they arent massive productions or award bait.

DVS BSTrD:

MovieBob:
*Snip*

To each his owned.

I think what I have in store for you for your grave pun violation can't actually be posted without violating the CoC. Needless to say, "owning" is the minor part of it...

Abomination:

cricket chirps:

"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love her work."

I mean hot damn, there is so much talent in this movie. It's like the Oscars hunger games.

How about this: Everyone in this movie gets a nomination for best actor, but the winner is determined by a fight to the death? *Chucks out a hammer on the floor* Have at it!

OT: It's like Passion of the Christ if it wasn't made by an anti-Semite?

I'd never even heard of this movie till this review...
Talk about no advertisements.

Not to step away from the movie, but I would pay for a DLC featuring more heists in general. Or if we could have a date end with Michael banging his wife. Make it a "Booty Call" option.

RJ 17:
Soooo Oscar-bation movie is Oscar-bation? Yeah, pretty much saw this coming from all the trailers I've seen of the movie.

Here's the thing about Oscar bait... it's all really damn good.

daxterx2005:
I'd never even heard of this movie till this review...
Talk about no advertisements.

I think that's the strategy with most oscar-bait. I don't remember seeing much advertisement for The King's Speech, The English Patient and that tree of life or something movie either.

The Gentleman:

Abomination:

cricket chirps:

"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love his work."
"I love her work."

How about this: Everyone in this movie gets a nomination for best actor, but the winner is determined by a fight to the death? *Chucks out a hammer on the floor* Have at it!

Why even bother with a hammer? Just toss the Oscar statue on the floor. Those things look quite hefty. You can also potentially walk away with parts of your adversaries' crushed skull mashed into the face of your Oscar. Put that on your mantle-piece, comes with some of Brad Pitt's hair and scalp.

It's funny, I had never seen Gone with the Wind, and thus, I had no idea that there was even slavery involved, let alone that there was a controversy surrounding it. I only knew that it was a love story... and about the infamous final (or next to final) line.

lacktheknack:

RJ 17:

Here's the thing about Oscar bait... it's all really damn good.

That's a matter of opinion and subjective towards personal tastes. Call me a hipster but this type of movie just doesn't appeal to me specifically because it's designed to make you feel bad if you don't like it. "IT'S A MOVIE ABOUT THE STRUGGLES AND HARDSHIPS OF AMERICAN SLAVERY! YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT IT OR YOU'RE A HORRIBLE PERSON!"

It's the exact same thing as The Passion. Only instead of watching a man get crucified by Romans we're now watching a man get beaten by slave owners. Bob said it himself: the main character is completely stuck, unable to fight back like some kind of slave hero, unable to be saved, unable to escape. It's just going to be a movie about watching a good person in a horrible situation.

Do we REALLY need a movie to remind us that slavery was a horrible institution run by horrible, racist people? Did we REALLY need a movie to remind us that crucifixion is a horrific processes? What's the point of this movie other than "We made a movie about slavery, therefore: Oscar." Thanks, but I'll pass.

As a disclaimer, I should point out that I have a VERY cynical outlook towards 99% of the crap the Hollywood vomits up. So don't take my personal views on movies such as this too seriously if you actually enjoy movies. Suffice to say that movies that just come out screaming "GIVE US OSCARS, DAMNIT!!!" the way this one does piss me off the most...because they're so frickin' blatant.

james.sponge:

There are plenty but most are from an era of oppression so what you are describing is not really possible.

brazuca:
How come, of all the people, you MovieBob did not like GTA V? You have been very public about games qestioning status quo, being more engaged in politics and being fun. Well GTA V did all that. In one huge game. IF GTA V was a movie it would be the movie of the decade (well that is one apologist - I, me, myself about that statement). I know I should talk about 12 years, what is the movie again? However after that last statement I'm hoping you talk about it in one of your shows.

Maybe he thought the game to be the opposite: An embodiment of the status quo? Some people did.

MovieBob:
12 Years a Slave

MovieBob gives us an unflinching review of 12 Years a Slave.

Watch Video

This is the first movie that isn't a majorly geeky movie (Hobbit, Marvel, etc) that I actually want to see. Good review Bob!

Also, quick question to no one in particular, why does the poster say 2012? Was this an independent movie that just took quite a while to get a theatrical release?

Man does that look like a hard movie to watch.

... 5 Days a Stranger, 6 Days a Skeptic, 7 Days a Sacrifice?
(and Trilby's notes which is actually the best)

Nevermind.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or