Top 6 Reasons to Get Back Into Pokemon

Top 6 Reasons to Get Back Into Pokemon

A few reasons to get back into Pokemon.

Read Full Article

Well, blimey, I'm sold. I was getting a 3DS soon anyway...

Got a 2DS just so I could pick up a copy of X, sharing a house with someone playing Y on 3DS tipped me over. Cheaper, and the loss of 3D and folding didn't bother me at all.

And then there's the one Pokemon that should be reason enough on its own.

Hawlucha is just the best :D

Andy Shandy:

I just wish he could evolve.

Pokemon X & Y is exactly what the franchise needed. I'm like a lot of others who just came back to the series after Gen 1. Fucking great game.

I sold my 3DS just before this came out, not thinking, I've got one of the limited edition Zelda 3DS XLs on pre-order but it doesn't come out for another month.

Argh, the pain.

I've played every generation of Pokemon So far (I had all of them at one point except for leaf green).

But, I agree that there are a lot of things to like about X and Y, like some much needed additions. While I am sad that having your Pokemon follow you around is restricted to HGSS, Pokemon Amie is a nice little mini-game to play (also, high fiving my Vaporean was awesome. ^^) And super training was an absolute must. I'm not really a competitive battler so most of the time I don't EV train, but I feel more motivated now that I can actually track my progress visually and don't have to look at charts all the time to figure out what I need to do. (Getting reset bags is a rare thing though and I want a few so I can retrain my main team so I might actually be able to use them in competitions.)

While I thought Black and White (the original ones) were very good, I think this would be a better entry point for people who are new to the franchise or haven't played the games in a while.

Not to say I don't have some complaints, but most of them are nit picky and rather trivial.

The last generation I played was the second, both on it's original release and it's DS re-release and I still think it's the best, BUT sure X/Y does look like an incredibly interesting addition to the franchise and it might very well be a nice excuse to get a 3DS (or a 2DS in my case).

-Dragmire-:

Andy Shandy:

I just wish he could evolve.

I already have the name for his final form, Haluchadoom! or Wrestlure, whatever you like!

I'd have gotten it if I had a 3DS. Oh well...

You didn't consider that some people might not have nor really want a 3DS, but have an old DS, like I do. Here are a couple pairs of DS Pokemon games that aren't quite so good in graphics, but are interesting nonetheless:

HeartGold/SoulSilver, the Gen 2 remakes, can be played ENTIRELY with only the touchscreen and directional pad. The older Start-DPad-A-DPad-A-B-B method for menus is still available, but tapping touchscreen "buttons" is quicker and oddly fun. Also, Johto and Kanto cities look more characterized. Ecruteak City with Autumn-style trees <3

Black2/White2, the advanced Gen 5 games, have in-battle idle animations, an intriguing story (I presume, as I have not seen it but have seen the Black/White story), and most importantly: a Local Pokedex that is comparable to X&Y's Dex. You can battle with overlooked monsters from middle generations or your fan favorites all over again in the semi-new region.

There's only one thing I want to know about X and Y. Does the main character ever wear their glasses on their eyes or do they just keep them on their head and never use them like a douchebag?

deserteagleeye:
There's only one thing I want to know about X and Y. Does the main character ever wear their glasses on their eyes or do they just keep them on their head and never use them like a douchebag?

Pretty sure you never get to wear them, but you can remove them, or change them for some buttons or feathers and possibly other things I haven't seen.

I used to love Pokemon, and honestly I would like to have played all of them. My problem is that the most modern handheld I own is a Game Boy Colour so I dropped out after Gold/Silver. I am sad that I've so far missed out on all the games on (3)DS so I'd like to get one someday, and Pokemon will definitely be on the list when I do.

Xman490:
You didn't consider that some people might not have nor really want a 3DS, but have an old DS, like I do. Here are a couple pairs of DS Pokemon games that aren't quite so good in graphics, but are interesting nonetheless:

HeartGold/SoulSilver, the Gen 2 remakes, can be played ENTIRELY with only the touchscreen and directional pad. The older Start-DPad-A-DPad-A-B-B method for menus is still available, but tapping touchscreen "buttons" is quicker and oddly fun. Also, Johto and Kanto cities look more characterized. Ecruteak City with Autumn-style trees <3

Black2/White2, the advanced Gen 5 games, have in-battle idle animations, an intriguing story (I presume, as I have not seen it but have seen the Black/White story), and most importantly: a Local Pokedex that is comparable to X&Y's Dex. You can battle with overlooked monsters from middle generations or your fan favorites all over again in the semi-new region.

About the sequel to gen 5, It's more about what happens after the events of black and white. However, I feel that BW2 has more content than BW, so I think it's better to go for BW2 in that regard.

Also, I think the story's fine. I read it because that's just who I am. But it might be less interesting than BW from what I've read about it.

For the ones who have XY, is there still a Dream World?
That was the most annoying feature of BW, the fact to get the berries needed to lower my pokemon's EV, I needed to wait once a day to do some annoying minigames on my PC.

ZeroAE:
For the ones who have XY, is there still a Dream World?
That was the most annoying feature of BW, the fact to get the berries needed to lower my pokemon's EV, I needed to wait once a day to do some annoying minigames on my PC.

No, instead there is a training bag that resets your pokemon's EV to 0, allowing you to train even a level 100 'mon to your liking. The only issue is that its given out randomly by having your 'mon in training wail on the training bag in the "Super Training" screen.

OT: All good points, and honestly its rekindled my love of Pokemon. I'm a 1st Generation guy, I played Blue and Red and that was it really. I tried the GBA remakes once and... God I think they screwed that up something fierce. But this one I'm loving it so far. My only issue is whoever designed the camera for Lumiose City is a moron. It's too damn close, I can't see where I'm going. Why not a 3/4th's overhead view dammit?

I'd love to get Pokemon X/Y... but I have to get a 3DS first. Damnit...

This is one of the reasons I got a 3DS a month or so ago in the first place (Sonic Lost World being the other)
I haven't really played a pokemon game since red and blue, bit of silver then soul silver (3rd gym leader, hardly counts).
So having jumped into this it's REALLY fun and impressive how much they got in here, but if you're going into it and you want the game to not be a breeze (over leveled by a factor of 20 levels) TURN OFF EXP SHARE
If you don't it's going to be you stomping everyone because even pokemon you aren't using at 18 levels over the competition.
If you have any interest in Pokemon, get this one, don't look to hard into which version because there's little difference, grab it in a shop, grab it on the eshop, whatever it's worth it.

Having played every main series pokemon game thus far, I actually find X and Y rather dull. I can say its the only main games I don't really like.

The games may do the opposite and get me out of pokemon.

Yeah, this is a list designed by someone who hasn't played since the gameboy era for people who haven't played since the gameboy era. The rollerscates are new, I guess, but everything else has already been there since Gameboy Advanced. Even the GBA had that wireless pulgin.

Btw, that exp share just gets in the way of that super training because it shares EVs too.

Aegislash ftw.

Also I thought ev's were just static on the pokemon.........I have no idea. o.0

I am kindof mixed on the new xp share. It's really too potent. My Swanna (who I have named "The Bus") is 5 levels above the pokemon league, but it is never used in combat (just there for surf and fly). My mainline pokemon are 10-15 levels above, and i hardly even need to use them in combat either. Makes things a bit too easy. Really feel like it should have only been 25% shared, or come much later in the game, or something. I keep changing in new pokemon just to keep things interesting when I should be needing to change in pokemon to advance. Will probably just turn it off at the start if i play through again from the begining (or when Z comes around).

Fun game all the same. (though not nearly as interesting characters and story as black/white, imo)

Now to find whatever the new battle subway style thing is for some endgame....

Reason #1 not to get X/Y:

A key-ring pokemon... A KEY-RING POKEMON! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What is next, a chair pokemon? A BELT POKEMON?! Oh no, it is a belt pokemon, isn't it?

TKretts3:

A key-ring pokemon... A KEY-RING POKEMON! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What is next, a chair pokemon? A BELT POKEMON?! Oh no, it is a belt pokemon, isn't it?

Funny thing is that Klefki is actually decent and being considered competitively as a lead since it has Prankster, spikes, and a good typing lol.

I will conceed that the lates batch of designs are more appealing than the last but there is one BIG thing stopping me from getting it. A 3DS, yeah I know it's got other 'good' games but I really can't justify purchasing it. If it had a game I MUST have then sure, but Pokemon has drifted into the maybe pile over teh years and the changes don't appear to have ammended what I took issue with.

TKretts3:

Because there's nothing wrong with the two piles of slime (Grimer, Muk), the cloud of gas (Ghastly), the red and white ball (Voltorb) and the totally different white and red ball (Electrode)? Every generation has bad designs, move past it. I actually like the vast majority of designs this generation, certainly more than last generation.

So their saying they did very little different to old games except partially what should have already been done, and improved graphics. Wow, why even bother. Especially 'getting the bicycle earlier on' making me travel the world slower is bullshit. I should get that FROM THE START. It's about as annoying as SWTOR restricting the run button behind a paywall. All that ability did was make the game less boring and slow, and you restrict it!?

Top 1 reason to NOT get back into Pokémon: I don't own a 3DS.

So there.

Sorry, but im allready a pokemon master. I caught them all back in red/blue/yellow/crystal. The game even said I caught them all.

But somehow, over 600+ more were hidkng behind a toilet somewhere....whats to stop them from pissing out another 600 pokemon?

Fool me 4 times shame on me..........fool me 8 more games shame on my entire family tree.

I felt Pokemon Black and White 1 and 2 (and some extend Diamond/Pearl/Plat) was a little tired.

But I find X and Y exceptional. It feels like it added a lot of meaningful new game mechanics. It has less new Pokemon, but come on. There's over 700 of them now. They didn't need to add over 100 this generation.

Rakor:
Aegislash ftw.

Also I thought ev's were just static on the pokemon.........I have no idea. o.0

I am kindof mixed on the new xp share. It's really too potent. My Swanna (who I have named "The Bus") is 5 levels above the pokemon league, but it is never used in combat (just there for surf and fly). My mainline pokemon are 10-15 levels above, and i hardly even need to use them in combat either. Makes things a bit too easy. Really feel like it should have only been 25% shared, or come much later in the game, or something. I keep changing in new pokemon just to keep things interesting when I should be needing to change in pokemon to advance.

My team out levelled the game in the second half quite scarily.
At least it wasn't like in Gold/Silver where you had a sod tonne of grinding to do to catch-up.
It would have been nice if the encounters in the game were tweaked so you'd at least do the Elite 4 when at the same level as their Pokemon. I wiped the elite 4 first time with no grinding. I only used consumables before the champion.

My gripe with X & Y is that I have to wait till late December to play with my old Pokemon. I have evolved all X & Y exclusive Pokemon. I have nothing to do in till I get my previous gens Pokemon in. My Pokemon playing is theoretical. I don't really want to grind the Victory Road wild Pokemon to aimlessly level up my play-through team.

I made the decision to stop at White 2 because of two main reasons. I need all the money I can save for school so a 3DS is out of the question and I wanted to leave the series on my own terms.

I'm afraid its going to be years before I can get this game or any of the ones that come after. Pokemon is leaving me behind and I'm waving it on with a friendly goodbye for now.

To the whole "the game is a breeze with xp share" problem, I'd suggest to just go with new teams everytime you overlevel, maybe keep the HM pińata and a heavy leveled pokemon to save your ass in case things get heated. It's what I've been doing and it certainly makes it more challenging (though artificially) while also forcing you to go out of your comfort zone and leveling more ignored pokemon to get other evolutions into that pokedex.

I've never been able to get into Pokemon... I think the problem is that the primary motivation for "playing" is the collection and evolution aspect... which just isn't enough for me I guess. Though I've seen my wife playing this one and I've gotta say... I'm impressed at the graphical renderings of all the Pokemon and it's nice to see that Nintendo has finally stepped it up several notches in terms of presentation.

I'll just wait for the PC version.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here