Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Review - Pirate this Game!

Ubisoft took the best parts of AC3 and made a badass pirate game.

Read Full Article

How is the performance on current-gen consoles? Because I know AC3 didn't exactly hold 30 fps at all times...

Now we must joke about how a franchise based around assassins has turned out to be one of the best games about pirates in the last few years.

I'm quite curious how the Multiplayer is, as I ADORE AC:R for it's multiplayer.

Doomsdaylee:
I'm quite curious how the Multiplayer is, as I ADORE AC:R for it's multiplayer.

Revelations multiplayer was brilliant, ACIII not so much... but maybe that had something to do with all the 10 year olds running around screaming "I'm an assassin!"

OT Lovely review Greg, can't wait to finish work, get home, and go all pirate!

gigastar:
Now we must joke about how a franchise based around assassins has turned out to be one of the best games about pirates in the last few years.

I would joke about it if I weren't busy crying because the pirate game is the reason we're not getting more assassin game ):

Deshara:

I would joke about it if I weren't busy crying because the pirate game is the reason we're not getting more assassin game ):

Well, to be honest the AC series really hasn't been about assassinating since Brotherhood (arguably ACII). I've sort of given up being disappointed by that and just embraced the spectacle.

OT: Nice to hear Black Flag seems to be living up to the hype. Will probably pick this up when it comes to PC.

Its weird, I find the multiplayer style of AC series to be one of its best selling points. Its a different take on the simple run and gun deathmatches that are populating the multiplayer aspect of games.

5 stars?
[sarcasm] So it's as good as Dragon Age 2?

[/sarcasm]

I got this game midnight launch, been up for hours playing it now. Amaaaaaaazing game, can't wait to finish it!
Just a few bugs here and there but otherwise holy crap it's so open world it's ridiculous.

damn, i still have to wait for the pc version. i just hope i will have a chance to to play it because im about to move away and wont have any time to connect my pc to the net.
at least good to hear its good and fun to play.

Deshara:

gigastar:

Indeed. Its been breaking me heart to see each successive AC game include less and less actually assassinating. After I absolutely hated ACIII, I wasn't even planning on getting this game. Haven't been following it at all. This review is making me reconsider: its not really the next Assassins Creed game, but it might be a pirate game worth playing.

Hm, wasn't expecting this game to be so well reviewed. Sadly I be short on doubloons...ok sorry, I'm a little short on cash right now and I'm saving what I have for some other games right now, so I'll probably get this after a price drop.

If they keep making 'em this good, I don't mind the yearly releases.

Hmm, how is the control scheme? Is it more akin to ACII/Brotherhood/Revelations? I hated the revamped controls for ACIII (stopped me playing it) and I am hoping this game goes back to that.

Might give it a look when I get my PS4, see just how spiffy next gen is supposed to be, I do like the look of it, but ACIII left a bad taste in my mouth, hopefully this can remedy that.

I don't care if it's moving even further away from the formula of the original. As far as I'm concerned, if you're still playing as a dude in a white hood killing Templars, then it's still an Assassin's Creed game; and in all honesty, where is it written that assassins HAVE to be stealthy. The original Hashasin weren't. They killed their targets bloodily, in public and in broad daylight while hopped up on drugs.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is whether this game is better made than its predecessor. AC3 was a damp squib because it was a buggy, unfocussed mess, rushed out of about 7 different Ubisoft studios around the world all trying to communicate working on one game. If this game is bug-free, with less guff and with what guff there is at least being more fun to play, then I'm in.

Oh, and a protagonist (modern or historic) that isn't less likeable than a wet shit would be great too.

I'll be picking this up with my PS4, and I'm now even more excited! I know it seems to be more about pirating than assassinating, but at least there are assassination contracts, which AC3 didn't even have! And I'm pretty sure those have been lacking for a while. I used to air-kill random guards just to say I did some assassinating. Nov 15 can't get here fast enough!

So, sounds like a definite improvement over AC3. Might check it out. I kinda lost interest in the series after vanilla AC2, so this might be a good chance to get back into it...

Awesome! I'm glad it's good. I think I'll pick it up on Steam right n-

What? It's not out on PC yet? Ubisoft delayed the PC version by another month? For no discernible reason?

Snarkiness aside, I always did like Sid Miers Pirates, so I guess that, plus a decent story and combat, is fine by me. I'll probably pick this up eventually.

Goodbye Assassin, Hello Pirate!
might be the first AC game to ever interest me.
This, I did not see coming.

But just look at this pic and say you don't want:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/gallery/view/35/10696/1850.4

I'd actually love to see a commercial for ACIV display "'Pirate this game!' -The Escapist" when it shows review quotes.

I do like the look of this one because pirates. But I couldn't stick with Revelations and skipped 3 so I'm not sure it's worth getting this after missing a chunk of the story.

Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.

Mcoffey:
Awesome! I'm glad it's good. I think I'll pick it up on Steam right n-

What? It's not out on PC yet? Ubisoft delayed the PC version by another month? For no discernible reason?

Snarkiness aside, I always did like Sid Miers Pirates, so I guess that, plus a decent story and combat, is fine by me. I'll probably pick this up eventually.

Well, at least it's coming out on PC. I haven't played AC since the first one, but this one sounds interesting. Might wait until it's on sale, but I do love me some open world sea roaming.

You know, pirates are also pretty despicable people. I'm surprised this got a 5/5.

(Yeah, cheap shots!)

NpPro93:

Deshara:

gigastar:

Indeed. Its been breaking me heart to see each successive AC game include less and less actually assassinating. After I absolutely hated ACIII, I wasn't even planning on getting this game. Haven't been following it at all. This review is making me reconsider: its not really the next Assassins Creed game, but it might be a pirate game worth playing.

Exactly my attitude towards it. For no reason other than because of the brand name attached to it, I have refused to aknowledge this to exist. It'd be like your father-in-law killing your wife and skinning her so he can stuff her younger sister into her skin and see how much you like this one compared to the other one. I just want more of the original please

Able Seacat:
I do like the look of this one because pirates. But I couldn't stick with Revelations and skipped 3 so I'm not sure it's worth getting this after missing a chunk of the story.

Trust me, they stopped following any form of coherent plot and just started throwing conspiracy theory bullshit into each successive game without really paying attention to how it meshes with the story so far.
I've played every AC thus far and I bloody loved the original (I still get on youtube and look up videos of the dialogues you had with your victims after the stabby), but I frankly couldn't tell you anything about the overarching modern-day plot past the part in that one game where you fist fight the pope in order to find out that the assassins are descendants of an alien precurser species and that the world is gonna end for reasons that they can't really stick to consistantly.
Basically, as far as the developers are concerned, the plot from anything earlier than the previous game doesn't matter at all, and so because they don't care, neither should you

hazabaza1:
Is that really the headline you're going for? Knowing the place's reputation for anti-piracy, you're going with that?

Well alright then.

Anyone else on the forum saying "pirate this game" would be hit with punishment by the mods, joking or otherwise.

Seems rather unfair.

hazabaza1:

Well alright then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book

NpPro93:

Deshara:

gigastar:

That's more or less my feeling, but they've instilled a bit more confidence on me with all the vids [propaganda] showcasing a return to stealth. While the game isn't anything like AC1, if you ignore the fact that has the AC name on it I can't really see a reason to to dislike the game.

As far as assassinating, I always felt that AC1 actually didn't have a lot of it. I spent most of that game stuck on a horse trying to get into the cities, but even once in there were only 9 real kill targets in the game, no more (probably less) than others. The AC2+s definitely felt the best in that regard, and then 3 went off doing its thing (I liked it, but it didn't hold me as well). Ubisoft has a tendency to overcompensate and then pull back some, so after 3 I am actually inclined to believe their claims for Black Flag.

Greg Tito:

hazabaza1:

Well alright then.

Going by that article it seems like the author gave the book that name because it was an anti-consumerist product encouraging people to actually steal the book rather than it just being a nice sounding name. It also seems to go against basically any other law concerning theft and drug use, which I'm sure isn't what you're going for.

Also that's a low content post Greg, thought you'd know better :p

By thunder, I be just in the process o' swingin' into a pirate-y mood recently. I'll be makin' sure to be pickin' this here title up on me next voyage into port.

...yeah I don't think I'd make a good pirate anyway. But, cool that the game doesn't suck!

hazabaza1:

Greg Tito:

hazabaza1:

Well alright then.

Going by that article it seems like the author gave the book that name because it was an anti-consumerist product encouraging people to actually steal the book rather than it just being a nice sounding name. It also seems to go against basically any other law concerning theft and drug use, which I'm sure isn't what you're going for.

Also that's a low content post Greg, thought you'd know better :p

How about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Album!

They used the title on this one as a bit of a flip-off to the people who leaked the original unfinished version of the album.

I also don't think the header for the review was a good idea, but it's not a big deal, as the review does not actually advocate stealing the game.

So is it worth buying on PS3/360, or should we wait for the next-gen consoles?

No matter how bad Black Flags story can get, I highly doubt they can be as bad as that one bullshit optional objective in ACIII.

IIInnnnnnnnteresting to say the least. I had not been interested in this newest installment after losing interest in #3 a few hours in. The pirating looks amazing though.

Question, does this game still have the awful immersion-breaking 'current-time' parts all the previous games had? I just loathe the Animus, why can't I just enjoy the well-crafted current setting?!

Overall, I really hope they made the navel battles possible through multiplayer, and definitely looks like a game I might pick up after x-mas.

Well you got me, i never liked the AC games, haven't played a single one. But it seems this is more of a great pirate game in ac3 clothes and my god i've been waiting for a good pirate game. So yea im grabbing this one fo sho

Hmmm, wasn't thinking of picking this up seeing how bad ACIII was, but now im intersted. maybe if it goes on sale I'll pick it up.

Only thing that really concerns me from the review was that "Combat is the same as the others". So stealth isn't as important again? sounds like you can counter-spam everyone and not worry about stealth, or is there enemy units that you WANT to hide from, that would be a step in the right direction.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here