The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: The Horror of the Bloodmonsters

Schlocktober 2013: The Horror of the Bloodmonsters

MovieBob gets colorful in the final installment of Schlocktober 2013.

Watch Video

Wow that was mess. But wait... Mr. Snuffleupagus is a vampire? THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!!!
He's been invited into MILLIONS of homes!

Double Yoo. Tee. Eff.

lol, this was great Bob, thanks for sharing that with us! :)

"WTF Did I just see?!" is the unofficial motto of Schlocktober. Excellent video, Bob! You had me howling with that burn on Prometheus.

Dude, I think it might be a definite possibility that Matt Groening based Dr. Zoidberg on those lobster monsters, I mean look at them, its a spitting image.

I knew it would be hard to trump Equinox from last years event, but this is still a very interesting way to go out.

Another great year for Schlocktober now we can just...um...wait for next year xD

Did MST3K ever riff on this movie? If not, then that was a seriously missed opportunity. If that is the case, perhaps Rifftrax can pick up the ball.

Also, that last part of the director's untimely demise was rather sad. Makes me wish you ended the episode with more footage from last year's Attack of the Super Monsters, Bob.

Another fantastic Schlocktober comes to an end. Awesome job.

Not to be Buzz Killington here, but I looked ahead and found out that the October in 2014 and 2015 will only have four Tuesdays. Hopefully, Bob will cram in a fifth episode before or after Halloween.

Wow, his death is much more like the setup to a modern horror film than anything else in the episode.

Laughed at "It still makes more sense than Prometheus"

Mr. Q:
Did MST3K ever riff on this movie? If not, then that was a seriously missed opportunity. If that is the case, perhaps Rifftrax can pick up the ball.

Regarding MST3K, keep in mind that this aired while the internet was still in its infancy. Their great discoveries - Manos, The Coleman Francis films - were very much luck based. Many times fans would send in a VHS tape and that would be their movie. On top of that, getting rights to movies was never easy. It's one of the reasons why they never riffed 'Night of the Lepus', even though it's clear from a number of jokes that they knew it existed

This looks like something either MST3K would riff upon, or the Cinema Snob would've reviewd.

I had a good laugh at this and another great Shlocktober came and went by, thanks Bob! :D

PlasmaCow:
Wow, his death is much more like the setup to a modern horror film than anything else in the episode.

I know, right? Feels like the opening minutes of any given crime procedural.

CHUNG-CHUNG!

Thank you for mentioning in passing Wizard of Mars. I had stumbled on this twice in my youth, and couldn't figure out what I was watching. Turns out, neither could anyone else.

Long, long segments with nothing but exposition. Wandering around aimlessly in a desert landscape where nothing happens. Apparently there's also a long underground rafting sequence where nothing happens.

I haven't seen it in decades, but I've never forgotten it.

Did your opinion on Prometheus change?

Is it actually possible to color old black and white movies? And I don't mean like how this movie did it.

"That's the least sexy thing I've ever seen"

I don't know Bob, did you see Jimquisition on Monday?

themilo504:
Is it actually possible to color old black and white movies? And I don't mean like how this movie did it.

Yes, you can go back and add color to old black and white movies. I have a DVD sitting on my shelf that contains recolored versions of Night of the Living Dead, Dracula, and... something else I can't think of off the top of my head.

Garfy:

What happens on Jimquisition stays on Jimquisition...

themilo504:

Ted Turner used to colorize classics, but the results were pretty awful looking. There are a couple of more recent examples that turned out much better, but still not 100% convincing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black-and-white_films_that_have_been_colorized

DVS BSTrD:
Wow that was mess. But wait... Mr. Snuffleupagus is a vampire? THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!!!
He's been invited into MILLIONS of homes!

How can you not like a film that features Mr. Snuffleupagus? That's unpossible!

Wow...I can't believe that movie exists. It still surprises me how some of those crazy old, low budget movies came about. Oh well, at least they can be entertaining in ways they didn't mean.

Goodbye, Schlocktober. You shall be missed for the next 11 months.

This looks as well shot as early Dr. Who.

"Damn it Jim! I'm a Doctor not a Blood Monster!"

themilo504:

The way this movie did it was actually not unique and a few black and white movies did use the monochrome processing to in a way "grade" a scene. Sometimes they could use a sepia tone for sunlight and purple process for night. (And it usually looks a million times better)

Also worth remembering that some black and white movies were shot on colour film stock and only distributed in black and white due to the cost. Watch a film lit for black and white and watching a colour film projected in black and white and you can see the difference. Well done black and white cinema is amazing on the big screen. The advent of colour affected a generation of cinematographers much in the same way digital affected film. It's worth reading up on it. It really is a whole other genre of cinematography.

Mahoshonen:
Laughed at "It still makes more sense than Prometheus"

Mr. Q:

Regarding MST3K, keep in mind that this aired while the internet was still in its infancy. Their great discoveries - Manos, The Coleman Francis films - were very much luck based. Many times fans would send in a VHS tape and that would be their movie. On top of that, getting rights to movies was never easy. It's one of the reasons why they never riffed 'Night of the Lepus', even though it's clear from a number of jokes that they knew it existed

Agreed. I do hope that Rifftrax or possibly Cinematic Titanic (are they still doing riffs of bad movies these days?) will get to the movies MST3K was unable to.

Garfy:

The less said about that, the better.

Dear God, that Jim Sterling ain't right.

Sure it's absurd, but that movie is not as bad as The Beast from Yucca Flats.

I actually thought that elephant was two people in a mammoth costume. My point is, elephants are terrible actors.

I feel I should keep this whole Schlocktober up for a bit longer. I know you can find some MST3K episodes on Youtube. Might be a good idea to look some up and watch them.

And part of me can't wait til next year. Schlocktober is so much fun. And in just a few more days, Hellsing Abridged #4. Truly Christmas comes early.

I kinda want to see this movie now XD

Wow...

We have to appreciate the stupid blockbusters of today more when something like this used to exist...

BTW it actually came out on DVD. I have to see this.

The Random One:
I actually thought that elephant was two people in a mammoth costume. My point is, elephants are terrible actors.

I thought it was a dog they'd dressed up and then made look bigger through perspective.

Saltyk:
I feel I should keep this whole Schlocktober up for a bit longer. I know you can find some MST3K episodes on Youtube. Might be a good idea to look some up and watch them.

And part of me can't wait til next year. Schlocktober is so much fun. And in just a few more days, Hellsing Abridged #4. Truly Christmas comes early.

I could listen to Bob rip on old crappy horror movies all year. In fact, I wish he'd do that or at least go with holiday appropriate old movies all year.

Hey, Bob, does the event's name (Schlocktober) come from the low quality of the material featured in it?

Didn't read all the comments,
i liked to hear the full story about the director's demise.
oint me to a uel, otherwise I'd like an big picture response

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here