Beyond: Two Souls vs. The Stanley Parable

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Beyond: Two Souls vs. The Stanley Parable

Both more interactive story than video game. Both move along a linear story that branches off, rather than any organic gameplay. The main difference is that The Stanley Parable is breezy and entertaining, and Beyond: Two Souls is clunky.

Read Full Article

Well, I'm certain the master race will embrace you well. Though I doubt that you'll be able to avoid Call of Duty sequels and shit.

Beyond: Two Souls really sounds worse the more I hear about it.

A Gaming rig? I'll believe it when you review a Total War game :P

The Master Race will neither forgive nor forget Yahtzee's admission that it was an Alienware he bought. Your halo is slipping and was overly-expensive!

The Stanley Parable sprang from nowhere for me to everyone suddenly buzzing about it. It's on the wishlist, I'll try it someday.

Welcome back! Here is your cake.

I would mail it over, but it won't fit into the mailbox slit, I'm afraid.

I must really be out of the loop because people have been name dropping these games left and right and I just kept thinking "I have no idea what these things are! What's Stanley Parable? Who the fuck is Ellen Page?" Christ, I thought Beyond Two Souls was that Dark Souls rip off that Capcom was making.

So B:TS is.... a movie. And not a good one, it seems.
It feels like some people are trying to bypass the whole process of making an actual movie by making a pretend one.

Now give us a sequel to Poacher!!!

... Art of Theft? ....

... 1213?? ....

... Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment??? ...

Evonisia:
Well, I'm certain the master race will embrace you well.

I doubt it. He mentioned Alienware.

OT: The Stanley Parable certainly seems very interesting. The demo was great, and I think it's hilarious that Wreden couldn't think of an accurate way to represent the game itself with something actually from the game, so he made an entirely new section for the demo. Definitely think it'll be one I have to check out once I've got the time/money/etc.

In case anyone wasn't aware, The Stanley Parable is actually remade from an earlier mod, which is free provided you have any Source engine game on Steam. I have yet to try the new version (on account of being flat broke at the moment), but the original mod was a great time, and the demo indicates they haven't lost their touch.

Teoes:
The Master Race will neither forgive nor forget Yahtzee's admission that it was an Alienware he bought. Your halo is slipping and was overly-expensive!

The Stanley Parable sprang from nowhere for me to everyone suddenly buzzing about it. It's on the wishlist, I'll try it someday.

The Stanley Parable has a demo on steam, and I heartily recommend trying it out. Whatever you think it's going to be, you're probably wrong. I know I was.

And you shouldn't call someone out on buying alienware (there are valid reasons), even ironically: all it does is perpetuate the pc elitist stereotype.

I actually spent more time on Stanley than on Beyond. It takes a while to tease out all of the over a dozen endings. And it was enjoyable time instead of shite time.

The only one I Youtube cheated on was the baby - not doing that for four hours.

My favorite ending was the Confusion Ending. Not giving anything away, I liked it because it made you feel like the narrator was just as confused about the layout of the game as you were, and both of you were on a path to figure out what the hell was going on.

erttheking:
I must really be out of the loop because people have been name dropping these games left and right and I just kept thinking "I have no idea what these things are! What's Stanley Parable? Who the fuck is Ellen Page?" Christ, I thought Beyond Two Souls was that Dark Souls rip off that Capcom was making.

You think that's bad? For months I thought Skyrim was the sequel to BioShock set in a floating city. Boy was I surprised when I read the reviews.

Might have to give the Stanley parable a try. The comparison to Rosencrantz and Goldstein are dead is an intriguing one.

Teoes:

As someone who has always built their own PC's and has never tried one does Alienware really have that bad a reputation?

I'm going to assume that any attachments to Yahtzees computer are named after the trains from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Everyone keeps saying that to tell you about the Stanley Parable they'd have to spoil it all, but Yahtzee seems to have reached a happy medium on the matter. I'm actually interested in the game now.

Welcome to the pc master race comrade, with you on our side we will crush the console pigs and establish a new world order.

Yes I know I'm not funny.

So I'm guessing that this will have to do for your review of the Stanly parallel, it does seem rather interesting but I'm saving money so I don't want to buy anything.

NWJ94:
Might have to give the Stanley parable a try. The comparison to Rosencrantz and Goldstein are dead is an intriguing one.

Teoes:

As someone who has always built their own PC's and has never tried one does Alienware really have that bad a reputation?

From my experience, they are overpriced for what's in them, and it seems you're mostly paying for the "pretty" case. It's not that they don't work, it's just that it seems when someone that's not into PC gaming and says it's too expensive, they seem to point to Alienware, which is an awful example since they are expensive not by parts or design, but just because.

NWJ94:

Teoes:

The reputation is based on the fact that you pay over $2000 for components that would only cost you less than 900 if you built it on your own. For example, there is an alienware computer at my work that's over 2000 that has a radeon hd 6870, an unlocked 3rd gen Core I7, 2 terabyte hard drive, 16 gigs of RAM, and a full ATX motherboard with room for 2 more graphics cards. Granted, those are some awesome components, but if bought individually, you'd definitely save about thousand dollars.

The only things I think are worth getting are their laptops, because building a laptop requires a level of skill you actually need to read and practice a lot compared to building a desktop, which is pretty much playing LEGO with sharper bits.

Ok...it only makes sense if you say "° couldn't give two shits about it", not "i could". I thought David Mitchell was rambling when he ranted about this, but ive been hearing its use more lately. Mostly in america. Wtf was wrong the original phrase that...you know...made sense??

flying_whimsy:
And you shouldn't call someone out on buying alienware (there are valid reasons), even ironically: all it does is perpetuate the pc elitist stereotype.

I'm a former Alienware owner, which means I'm allowed!

So in Beyond: Two Souls, your choices don't really matter in the end and in the Stanley Parable, your choices don't really matter in the end.

I don't see the difference.

"The Fat Controller" eh? I know a Doctor Who reference when I see one! (Or even when I don't see one.)

Welcome to the master race Yahtzee.

Anyway. Beyond: Two Souls could have been such a cool game if it would limit you to just playing as Aiden through the whole game. Unable to go far from the girl who is just an scripted AI. By interacting with her and the environment you can alter the actions of people and the flow of the story. Be horrible to the girl as she grows up and she'll come to hate/fear you and will try to rid herself of you, be helpful and she'll come to rely on you and who knows what you can accomplish. Maybe even the plot of the game could change depending on your actions, be a monster and your revealed origin might turn out to be that of a devil, be good and maybe you'll discover you're her dead childhood friend watching over her, maybe even throw in secret origins like being an alien creature that needs a host body to survive. Of course the game would have to be in chronological order instead of the mixed up mess we have now.

Now that would have been an actual game, unlike the shit stain that was released. Because there's some really cool stuff in that game, to bad you have to swim through a mile of shit to get to them.

FallenMessiah88:
So in Beyond: Two Souls, your choices don't really matter in the end and in the Stanley Parable, your choices don't really matter in the end.

I don't see the difference.

It's not the destination, it's the trip... man

To me the biggest difference between TSP and B:TS was player agency.

TSP is designed to be very reactive to your actions/decisions, limited as they may be. You may not be in control of it, but you're definitely the one steering the plot. The spotlight's on you.
In B:TS it's more like the course is already set and you're only allowed to interact when it has virtually no significance to the overall experience save for slightly different endings. The spotlight's on everything but you.

Teoes:

Yeah, real men forge their machines in the fires of Mount Doom into which they put their hatred, their malice, and their will to dominate all console peasants!

Actually the Stanley Parable has a big gameplay element wich are the choices that the player makes, if you choose to do one thing instead of the other you get about 20 minutes of different content that then in itself can have other choices that then change that content alltogether again.

In Beyond: Two Souls no matter what you do its still the same.

So, Beyond: Two Souls is more Asura's Wrath than The Stanley Parable.

Got it.

"And while The Stanley Parable will occupy far less of your time, at least none of that time is spent watching Willem Dafoe attempting to smile."

Sounds like a strike against TSP to me. More games need to have Willem Dafoe. :p

Ah, shitty jokes aside, time to go try that TSP demo people say is on Steam.

I had a hunch Yahtzee would like the Stanley Parable. It fits his sense of humour perfectly. And of course, it's that rare 'artsy' game that doesn't completely fail due to a lack of self-awareness.

So, a rather simple game that started out as something made with Half-life 2 is better than a multi-million doller POS written by David Cage...

Zombie Badger:

Teoes:

Yeah, real men forge their machines in the fires of Mount Doom into which they put their hatred, their malice, and their will to dominate all console peasants!

I found mine in the back of a mysterious, occult shop, behind the ancient tablets and soul shards. I'm still waiting to inevitably pay dearly for meddling with great powers I do not understand.

Yeah Yahtzee, but does the Stanley Parable have tits?

I get the sneaking suspicion Yahtzee likes comparing good games to bad games, or in this case good interactive stories to bad interactive stories.

I wish you the best with your new PC.

Zombie Badger:

Teoes:

That's why I own a macbook pro :D Shuddup, I can play games on it!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here