Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The Dream of Freedom

The Dream of Freedom

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Yahtzee reminded me of this: http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2736

Also, glad to see Jim writing something that doesn't make me feel like I need a bath.

OMG Jim Rhymed board with board. He has no idea how to poem.There is nothing else to say about this Rhymedown!

Wow I suppose that's one way to look at Pac Man.

DVS BSTrD:
OMG Jim Rhymed board with board. He has no idea how to poem.There is nothing else to say about this Rhymedown!

Actually, it's board and bored.

This was a good one. It was also an interesting transposition that this time Yahtzee went to the dark and weird while jim went for the more straight game commentary... Although Jim did seem a bit out of sorts.

I'll give Benny one thing, it took me forever to find out it was Pacman he was writing about.

Jimmy, when are you gonna comment on score inflation? Because that is the biggest problem with games scores.

I think the problem with review scores is that many tend to look only at the grade and ignore the "whys" that formed it, which is ludicrous because the grade means nothing without the context of the "whys".

Also, Pacman.

Yahtzee, just a reminder, it was BATman that was just released, not PAC-man.
And Jim, don't let those trolls get to you, they only want you to praise the crappy game that they pre-ordered so that they won't feel like they fell for the hype and wasted money. It's their own insecurity and naivety that they can't live with and want to vent it on you.

Ah I'm too tired to watch these videos, I thought Yahtzee's poem was just about his job these days and how the modern games industry spews out a flavourless trail of rubbish with the occasional fleeting gem of originality. Or maybe it's just been too long since I played Pacman.

Personally I prefer the Tetris hell over the pacman hell but there both better than pong hell.

Oh poor Pacman, you're just misunderstood by those nasty ghosts.

And Jim's poem didn't make me consider drinking so I'm left undecided on whether I liked it or not. It was a good critique of haters though.

Wow, at first I thought Yahtzee was doing a poem about Dark Souls or something, and then it clicked... Pac-man!
That sudden realization was the greatest moment of my life.
Yahtzee wins this week for me.

JenSeven:
Yahtzee, just a reminder, it was BATman that was just released, not PAC-man.
And Jim, don't let those trolls get to you, they only want you to praise the crappy game that they pre-ordered so that they won't feel like they fell for the hype and wasted money. It's their own insecurity and naivety that they can't live with and want to vent it on you.

Batman? but Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures just came out! http://www.amazon.com/Pac-Man-Ghostly-Adventures-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B00CSLIYXY.

I wonder what would have caused Jim to make this lovely poem :p I really hope all those people that swore to never return to Destructoid actually do not come back. So many dumb asses just saying "clickbait" and "Cod MW3 got a 9.5" because they have nothing else to say and Cod bashing is the cool thing to do. It's much worse than when Greg Tito gave GTAV a 7.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Yahtzee reminded me of this: http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2736

Also, glad to see Jim writing something that doesn't make me feel like I need a bath.

That...WAS AMAZING! Whomever wrote that just made Pacman into a Lovecraftian horror story. That is so amazing. Also, (insert slow clap here) A double hit this week. Huh. They were both really good.

Wow, I am utterly confused... Did Jim just... WIN?

madigan:
I think the problem with review scores is that many tend to look only at the grade and ignore the "whys" that formed it, which is ludicrous because the grade means nothing without the context of the "whys".

Also, Pacman.

So THAT's what Yahtzee's poem was about! AT first I thought he was talking about some metaphorical prison for game critics who don't rate games high enough to please the rabid fanboys. See, I cheat and look at the tags below the video to see what their subjects are.

This was an OK week of "Yathzee won!" :D

Got to say Jim, I hate when people take stuff out of context. Of course one sentence can change it all!

"It's easy to boil it down to one sentence." - Jim Sterling 2013.

All this cos of 1 YouTube comment asking why Badman Arkham SorryJims got a 3.5

If you cba reading the review paste it into a speech to text website and have a robot read it to you. That't what I did.

Rassmusseum:

DVS BSTrD:

Actually, it's board and bored.

"What else should I write?
I don't have the right"

madigan:

Also, Pacman.

And when people do look, it's like the comb the review to find phrases to justify their anger at a score they don't like.

Of course, the problem with this is that sometimes the reviews do a good job justifying it. That's why people have discovered the power of making up quotes.

Also, I meant to mention in my previous post I loved the play in the final lines of Yahtzee's rhyme.

Well you heard it here first chpas; Jim Sterling "truly bored" by video game criticism & discussion.

I hate to be that guy...pretty sure a few of the thees and thous were misused (grammatically speaking).

Yeah, I know...I'm the worst person on the internet.

JenSeven:
hey won't feel like they fell for the hype and wasted money. It's their own insecurity and naivety that they can't live with and want to vent it on you.

That's giving them too much credit. Clearly you missed the recent "whine out of ten" shitstorms.

It doesn't really matter how good or bad the game is, if someone says that it's fantastic and people get mad at him anyway for not saying it's the second coming of Christ, they're screwed up little insecure shits who need to get some perspective in their lives (like what you said, just worse :P)

OT: Too bad I already knew Yatzhee was talking about Pacman from the picture and I've already heard a story from Creepy Pasta about Pacman being a cannibal in a constant drunken state where you can barely direct him in one direction. Then again, I'm thankful that Jim's poem didn't make me want to have a shower, as per the norm. Thank god for you both.

And captcha, I don't think that "bunny rabbit" comes after the number four.

Yahtzee's made me want to play First Person Pacman. Very appropriate for Halloween.

I particularly enjoyed Mr. Sterling's poem this week and the intelligent commentary it offered.

Anybody else think that Yahtzee's closing words (I have no mind, and I must dream) were a reference to Harlan Ellison's story "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream"? It has a similar plot to the way he describes Pac-Man after all.

Crispee:
Anybody else think that Yahtzee's closing words (I have no mind, and I must dream) were a reference to Harlan Ellison's story "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream"? It has a similar plot to the way he describes Pac-Man after all.

I thought it was a nod to the fact that Pac-Man is completely deterministic. The game has no randomisation at all. With the right sequence of inputs, you can completely avoid the ghosts. I've heard some nutty people can even pull it off standing at an actual machine, too.

Zachary Amaranth:

madigan:

Also, Pacman.

And when people do look, it's like the comb the review to find phrases to justify their anger at a score they don't like.

Of course, the problem with this is that sometimes the reviews do a good job justifying it. That's why people have discovered the power of making up quotes.

I'm still baffled by the concept of "being angered by a score". I guess it stems from people getting angry when others disagree with them, which I guess can't be helped until those people mature and grow out of that mindset. I mean, that sort of mentality is completely illogical, but I still see it all the time in the comments section of product reviews.

Anyhow, once again both poems were fantastic. I still think Jim's poem from last week was one of his best, but I still appreciate the effort. You don't often get to see much poetry these days (outside of songs that is!) so bravo to Yahtzee and Jim!

Yahtzee's was neat, but does wanting to rewrite it make me a terrible pedant? I spent most of the poem cringing at the thees that should have been thous.

And nice to hear a Jim poem that isn't trolling :)

I have never heard Pac Man sound so dark!

Yahtzee seems to me like the far superior declaimer. His poems are absolutely phenomenal, and he recites them with knowledge of tone and metric.

Jim's are entertaining, tongue-in-cheek, lovely satire.

One is literary gold, the other is entertainment gold.

Both do their jobs magnificently.

Sirs, I doth salute thee.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67419)