Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD.

Watch Video

Its so weird to see Yahtzee really enjoy a Nintendo game, or at least straight up say he enjoys one. Especially a remake or a rerelease. Perhaps this is the end... Oh well, can't say I'll miss the world.

And so we add another Wii U game to the list of Wii U games that Yahtzee liked and has reviewed. So two. And there were no complaints about the Wii U itself amazingly.

That mingegurgle joke reminded me of the Remember Me video except mingegurgle was a much better ending.

Ah, nan's soup.

I don't think I ever bought a single potion in that game, just helped to recede the industry.

If you don't like getting hearts from things, you can play Hero mode, which doubles enemy damage and only allows you to restore health from potions.

Well as for Pokemon "Seventh game same as the first game". so yeah i care so little about it.

As for Zelda, i did like it. in fact i might start playing it on the gamecube... oh yeah hd one sounds like the same, except the minor changes to it, theirs really no difference.

Yahtzee Croshaw:

New Video

Watch Video

Got a bit lazy there with the description, huh?

Great...I am now going to have the word "mingegargle" added to the goofball part of my vocabulary along with "Boingo Boingo Whoopsie Knickers", "Abloogy-Woogy-Boo", and "G-nap G-nap RAWR".

Well, that was... surprising, but you were mostly right.

But why would you use ANY potions? Fairies, man. Fairies.

Daystar Clarion:
Ah, nan's soup.

I don't think I ever bought a single potion in that game, just helped to recede the industry.

Endlessly Milking a single source of sustenance by cashing in on pre-existing goodwill while letting fresh original products shrivel away like leeches at a vampire convention? What are you? EA?

ImBigBob:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

New Video

Watch Video

This is Yahtzee we're talking about. Most likely he couldn't be bothered after spending so much energy on railing about how good Wind Waker is.

DVS BSTrD:

Daystar Clarion:
Ah, nan's soup.

Endlessly Milking a single source of sustenance by cashing in on pre-existing goodwill while letting fresh original products shrivel away like leeches at a vampire convention? What are you? EA?

Nan's soup is the only beverage/food a boy adventurer ever needs.

You know, cos, you can kind of eat and drink soup at the same time.

Nan's soup!

God damn Wind Waker's a great game. Now I sort of want a Wii U just to play it in pretty mode.

I didn't like having to change the wind all the time in the original, but that's not any reason I'd buy a new console and the remake of the game that is fundamentally the same. I'd just Half-Life Windwaker.

After seeing all the reviews and let's plays of this HD remake on the interwebs I developed a desire to play Windwaker again... so I dusted off the Gamecube and fired up my original copy.

How's that for messing with economics?

Glad they did something about that boring piece of triforce mission, as much as I loved that game I had to give up on it for a while as find the charts, constantly looking for treasure to refill my money bag and afford to have Tinkle do whatever to it and then find the seven pieces is nothing but needless padding and one of the worst moments of games I love. Also, what game doesn't have a broken economy?

Worgen:
Its so weird to see Yahtzee really enjoy a Nintendo game, or at least straight up say he enjoys one. Especially a remake or a rerelease. Perhaps this is the end... Oh well, can't say I'll miss the world.

I can't help but imagine your amazing avatar is playing an outro to the planet.

OT: This was quite frankly a refreshingly pleasent and concise ZP. I don't know why, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit edit: more than usual

ImBigBob:

Yahtzee Croshaw:

New Video

Watch Video

This user was banned for this post. Reason: low content

Bet that'd throw the internet a real curve-ball, eh?

Evonisia:
And so we add another Wii U game to the list of Wii U games that Yahtzee liked and has reviewed. So two. And there were no complaints about the Wii U itself amazingly.

I know, I kept waiting for him to slam the controls, but I guess Nintendo didn't kneecap themselves trying to force the touchpad or two screens into play.

Windwaker Remake?!
I got stuff on my shelves thats older then that. But it probably deserves the remake.

I don't know if that makes me an old fart, for remembering it when it was fresh and kicking, or if Nintendo doesn't wanna wait 15 years for a redo of things.
Since well.... they never done redos exept for Zelda Games.

Theres seriously something smelling fishy about all this....

I kinda would have enjoyed a pokemon X/Y review where all he does is re-use the Pokemon Black/White review, but every time he says or shows Pokemon Black/White he just replaces it with Pokemon X/Y.

And I'm not saying that as a hater or anything. I've played the main story of Pokemon Y 3 times now and enjoyed it all 3 times. It just would have been funny.

orangeapples:
I kinda would have enjoyed a pokemon X/Y review where all he does is re-use the Pokemon Black/White review, but every time he says or shows Pokemon Black/White he just replaces it with Pokemon X/Y.

It would be like the time he review Mario Galaxy 2, told the viewers to pause that review in order to watch his Mario Galaxy review, then tell the viewer that's basically that... Only, in terms of Pokemon, he would say "it's just like that only in full 3 dimensions... So glad Nintendo knows how to improve on a still-running formula, I see..." with that Yahtzee sarcasm we come to expect...

OT: "So Yahtzee, how did you feel about Windwaker HD?"

"MINGEGURGLE!"

"...So, I'm guessing you enjoyed it then... Did you try out the game's Hero Mode, though?"

"MINGEGURGLE!"

"Huh... Well, okay then... See you next week, then..."

*whispers*"Mingegurgle..."

I suspect game economies may be pretty dificult to deal with. I played Skyrim just like he did, a character with crippling fear of loot, and I still ended up wealthy enough to buy every single item any vendor ever had on sale I wanted, and a nice big house in Solitude.

Heh, always weird to have Yahtzee liking a game, and especially when he says the things wrong with it are why it works...sorta.

mingegurgle gave me 2 hits on google, thats the least I've ever seen while still giving hits. Thanks Yahtzee for once again enriching my life with new experiences.

I hoped you reviewed the new ace attorney game this week, mostly because I'm really curious what yathzee thinks of ace attorney.

It's moments like this when I realize that just about say...somewhere between 20-35% of the gaming community is really good at breaking the game. Something I never really even think about doing and I'm not really good at.

Alright, so with Wind Waker out of the way, how about we all turn to our trusty crystal balls and predict how Yahtzee's review of the next big Nintendo game for WiiU, i.e. Mario 3D World, will go.

This is what mine tells me:
0 - some comments about the PS4 and Xbone doing better or worse than the WiiU, sales wise
1 - jokes about Mario being milked like the last living cow on the planet
2 - comments about 3D land not having been good
3 - comments about the game using the 4-player aspect aspect from the NEW series, just with one less toad
4 - jokes about Peach not being completely useless for once in her tired existence
5 - reluctant admission that the game is indeed really really good, being a 3D Mario game that was developed by the Galaxy team
6 - perhaps some more hits on 3D land along the lines of "it's basically the same game, except they gave a shit this time"
7 - ending joke

Not accusing you of being predictable or anything, but that's usually the approach you seem to take when you have to admit that a Nintendo game was more entertaining to you than sticking a pencil up your cockhole

I was kinda hoping Yahtzee would have looked at Human Revolution again, if only to see if he thought it was worth it on the WiiU. I thought it was for the 5 bucks I got it off Steam. Oh well, maybe in the Extra Punctuation column.

In fairness to Nan's soup, you have to get pretty far into the game to actually unlock it. It is true though that it basically renders the chu-potions worthless and I don't think I ever even used the soup anyway since the game was relatively easy.

Wolf Hagen:
Windwaker Remake?!
I got stuff on my shelves thats older then that. But it probably deserves the remake.

I don't know if that makes me an old fart, for remembering it when it was fresh and kicking, or if Nintendo doesn't wanna wait 15 years for a redo of things.
Since well.... they never done redos exept for Zelda Games.

Theres seriously something smelling fishy about all this....

There's no mystery. Nintendo outright said, when they announced it, that this is basically something to tide the Zelda fans over while they work on the next Zelda game.

On Granny's soup: yeah, it's the best healing item in the whole game. However, as it only fills one bottle, I kept my other three full of Faeries and potions.

Not that I spent a single rupee on potions. Not when that tree guy is giving them away for four monster seeds apiece.

At least he mentioned the ridiculous bloom filter applied so hard it looks like fog.

GamemasterAnthony:
Great...I am now going to have the word "mingegargle" added to the goofball part of my vocabulary along with "Boingo Boingo Whoopsie Knickers", "Abloogy-Woogy-Boo", and "G-nap G-nap RAWR".

Don't forget "Fnar Fnar!" and that one throat gargling sound he made in one of the E3 videos. I think that was his reaction to FF XIII, or just all JRPG's.

Wind Waker was an awesome gaming experience, but I don't see myself playing it again any time soon. Everything about the design, atmosphere, and gameplay worked wonderfully, but just like Majora's Mask and Minish Cap, it skimps out on the dungeons. I found this choice especially irritating in the latter half of the game, when you're boating all over the place looking for the Triforce pieces instead of facing down a new series of fortresses (a la Link to the Past). At the half-way point of Wind Waker, I was deeply hoping that the game would require the player to explore some of the sunken Hyrule Kingdom, or have plotline magic cause that land to surface, creating more places to go in the Great Sea.

As well, I agree that the game is too hand-holding with the resource-management. I don't think I even bothered catching the jellies. As well, I don't think I ever died. It really takes any the incentive to find heart-container pieces if the enemies can't rough you up at all.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here