Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

alik44:

As for Zelda, i did like it. in fact i might start playing it on the gamecube... oh yeah hd one sounds like the same, except the minor changes to it, theirs really no difference.

That's pretty much the problem with most remakes I've seen, they're basically the same game with a graphical update and maybe a bell and whistle or 2 thrown in. This means that everybody who already has the original game has little reason to go anywhere near it, and that's a problem since those are the people most likely to actually buy the remake to begin with.

I'm getting the same vibe from Kingdom Hearts 1.5, since that's basically the same 2 games that fans have already played plus the final mix stuff which isn't that much. Worse, they have an entire 3rd game they reduced to cutscenes because they were too lazy to care, and it's the one that would have benefited most from being HDed.

I for one really liked Majora's Mask. I'd like to see what yahtzee thinks of that.

I lost my shit when he got to the "juggalo helicopters". It explains why I hated dealing with those bastards. They just wanted to know how my fucking sail worked!

immortalfrieza:

alik44:

As for Zelda, i did like it. in fact i might start playing it on the gamecube... oh yeah hd one sounds like the same, except the minor changes to it, theirs really no difference.

That's pretty much the problem with most remakes I've seen, they're basically the same game with a graphical update and maybe a bell and whistle or 2 thrown in. This means that everybody who already has the original game has little reason to go anywhere near it, and that's a problem since those are the people most likely to actually buy the remake to begin with.

I'm getting the same vibe from Kingdom Hearts 1.5, since that's basically the same 2 games that fans have already played plus the final mix stuff which isn't that much. Worse, they have an entire 3rd game they reduced to cutscenes because they were too lazy to care, and it's the one that would have benefited most from being HDed.

Wind Waker HD actually makes what I think are some truly significant improvements, in my opinion.

First: the sail, salvage hook, Wind Waker, and cannon are bound to the D-pad when you get on the ship, do you don't have to waste precious item slots on them. Second, a reticule takes the annoying guesswork our of using the cannon. Third: they added a Swift Sail, if you're one of those for whom sailing is too slow. Fourth, Hero Mode was added, for increased challenge. Finally, they greatly streanlined the Triforce Hunt that put pain to the game's pacing in the GameCube days.

As for Kingdom Hearts? The version of KH1 being used is the Final Mix version, which never made it to not-Japan before.

GamemasterAnthony:
Great...I am now going to have the word "mingegargle" added to the goofball part of my vocabulary along with "Boingo Boingo Whoopsie Knickers", "Abloogy-Woogy-Boo", and "G-nap G-nap RAWR".

Check out his Symphony of the Night review for one more: "utterly nutterly butterly"!

OT: I'm glad to hear that the WindWaker remake is still pretty good like the original WindWaker was. Perhaps this means i'll actually buy it once i find a big enough reason to actually get a WiiU... And Wonderful 101.

How appropriate that this Yahtzee review should come out the same week as AC4: Black Flag. Watching the review of AC4, I started thinking "hmm, the sailing seems to resemble Wind Waker, wonder what Yahtzee'll think of this?"

Darth_Payn:

GamemasterAnthony:
Great...I am now going to have the word "mingegargle" added to the goofball part of my vocabulary along with "Boingo Boingo Whoopsie Knickers", "Abloogy-Woogy-Boo", and "G-nap G-nap RAWR".

Don't forget "Fnar Fnar!" and that one throat gargling sound he made in one of the E3 videos. I think that was his reaction to FF XIII, or just all JRPG's.

Or "Spunk-gargle-wee-wee", although I think that "mingegargle" is a term of endearment in comparison. When did HD equate to more bloom? Isn't HD supposed to mean that there's more visual clarity, not less?

In terms of the potion industry, there is an optional "Hero Mode" in which enemies don't drop hearts. But Yahtzee might not have had time to try that before making the review (and it doesn't do anything about the soup).

Big_Isaac:
Alright, so with Wind Waker out of the way, how about we all turn to our trusty crystal balls and predict how Yahtzee's review of the next big Nintendo game for WiiU, i.e. Mario 3D World, will go.

This is what mine tells me:
0 - some comments about the PS4 and Xbone doing better or worse than the WiiU, sales wise
1 - jokes about Mario being milked like the last living cow on the planet
2 - comments about 3D land not having been good
3 - comments about the game using the 4-player aspect aspect from the NEW series, just with one less toad
4 - jokes about Peach not being completely useless for once in her tired existence
5 - reluctant admission that the game is indeed really really good, being a 3D Mario game that was developed by the Galaxy team
6 - perhaps some more hits on 3D land along the lines of "it's basically the same game, except they gave a shit this time"
7 - ending joke

Not accusing you of being predictable or anything, but that's usually the approach you seem to take when you have to admit that a Nintendo game was more entertaining to you than sticking a pencil up your cockhole

You give him far too much credit that he would talk that much about the game itself. It will be bitching about Nintendo in general, The consoles and handhelds being unoriginal and gimmicky in the same paragraph, how Mario is tired and should be put out to pasture for the umpteenth time and maybe, just maybe talk about the game but only to say it's the exact same thing he played last time and saying that any changes made it worse.

That's a proper Yahtzee formula for a Nintendo review.

I loved nan after I found out about the soup :D
Then again I decided for some strange reason to go "Hero Mode" from the begining and apparently enemies do double damage and drop no hearts in that mode, so the start was insanely hard.
Halfway through though, after collected so I had maybe 10 pieces of life it wasn't that bad anymore.

Wind Waker was an amazing game and also the last Zelda game I enjoyed playing on consoles. Generally speaking, Minish Cap was the last Zelda game I played all the way through and enjoyed myself the entire time. I tried to bust out Minish Cap last month, though, because I have it for free on my 3DS thanks to being an early adopter of the system, but I got bored. I was worried I was bored with Zelda as a series - then I picked up the HD edition of Wind Waker and diverted all of my free time towards it.

I think Zelda is at it's best when there are lots of towns and side-quests to focus on. It just feels more like an adventure. That's why Majora's Mask and Wind Waker compete for the coveted position of being my favorite Zelda ever. It's also why Oracle of Season/Ages and Link's Awakening are still superior to Twilight Princess, despite not having a 'dark' story.

Shame I never got into Phantom Hourglass though... not sure why but that one just rubbed me the wrong way. At least I can look at Skyward Sword and blame the motion controls for everything.

I recently played through this game, and found that it was good. Yeah, the sailing became little more than a chore after a while. Yeah, the overall story was kind of "eh". Yeah, the final boss consists of you getting sliced to pieces by Ganondorf, while you're being shot at by Zelda (who is supposed to HELP you, mind you). But I liked the openess of the world, I liked the puzzles, and most importantly, it shows that good aesthetics do NOT equal good graphics. Wind Waker came out 11 years ago (in Japan), and it still looks good. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault came out 11 years ago, and it looks absolutely laughable.

Think about that for a while...

I would love to see people take the link to this review and e-mail it to Sean Malstrom and see what kind of whiny pedantic diatribe he counters with in regards to it because all he's done on his blog for the past year now is go on tirades on how much of a sin against Nintendo and video games Wind Waker is and how Anouma should be hung because he made it and it exists and blah blah blah.

In fact, I'm probably going to go do that right now....

EDIT: Speaking of which, here's an example of the guy I'm talking about going on about how much of a sin Wind Waker really is. (Okay he's not talking Wind Waker specifically but he mentions it as his Zelda example of what's wrong w/ Nintendo)

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/email-nintendo-strengths-and-weaknesses/

Seriously, Yahtzee needs to spend next week's Extra Punctuation talking about what's wrong with these kinds of people. I hate these kinds of elitist garbage polluting the game industry w/ self righteous BS.

So after a quick google search I learned that mingegurgle is not a real word at all. I did however learn that menegur, a word quite similar to mingegurgle, is Indonesian for reprimand. How about that.

He should've played on Hero mode to make things harder. Though once you have enough hearts and bottles to hold soup, fairies, and potions, even hero mode loses its edge.

"Mingegurgle"? I don't think I'll be using that word the next time I call Mom....

On potions: Forget the blob monster route.

Just use your Grappling Hook to grab magic seeds from the plant monsters in the forest island. Trade four of them for a magic/health potion from the plant guy there. And guess what? There's more than four of he plant monsters on the walk-up to the forest island!

So now we need to add the plant-man potion maker to the list of people who need defending from the potion-sellers' union.

Evonisia:
And so we add another Wii U game to the list of Wii U games that Yahtzee liked and has reviewed. So two. And there were no complaints about the Wii U itself amazingly.

That mingegurgle joke reminded me of the Remember Me video except mingegurgle was a much better ending.

Can't truly call it a Wii U game though.. it's on the WII u, but it's virtually the same as the original Gamecube game, only with loads of more sunlight and glare to blind you. The original release of the game on GC was fine as is.. unlike real HD re-releases, this is pretty much the same game only put out to make money from people who don't have gamecube copy of the game and like using a oversized unwieldy tablet to try and control the game. nintendo: the master of giving you games you want with unnecessarily added crap on top of it.

Anyone else feel weirdly smug and happy inside whenever you find out semi-famous people have the same opinion as you?

Cuz I really really like how he likes Wind Waker and thinks Twilight Princess is derivative garbage.

What's this? Yahtzee praising a remake? I'd better check outside to see if the sky's falling.

[whoops]

Well, it's nice to see Yahtzee actually enjoying himself. I don't always agree with his reviews but he always has something to say that makes me think more critically about the games I play.

templar1138a:
Well, that was... surprising, but you were mostly right.

But why would you use ANY potions? Fairies, man. Fairies.

Yeah, this. For all Zelda games.

I suppose it's a play-style thing, and that maybe somewhere out there are Zelda players who prefer the potion system to fairy chasing or who ignore enemy-consumable-drops to keep things moving faster... but damned if I've ever met one.

randomthefox:
Anyone else feel weirdly smug and happy inside whenever you find out semi-famous people have the same opinion as you?

Cuz I really really like how he likes Wind Waker and thinks Twilight Princess is derivative garbage.

There's some memorable things in TP! Like, um...

That weird little baby with his store that had such amazing marketing!

So ya...

I actually liked TP. It was nice. It wasn't as good as WW, but WW was all kinds of fun so it had a lot to live up to.

So, its good because WW on the GC was good? Then, I'll just stick to the GC and skip the Wii U.
I'm waiting for Yahtzee to do Batman Arkham Origins, its received quite an amount of lashing for being too iterate and lack of innovation, a lashing I find funny as these come from the guys who praise Modern Warfare 3 and sports games.
And maybe Assassin's Creed 4. I heard it was actually better than the 3rd.

I finally buy Pokemon after days of course work, sit down, slip it into my 3DS, click on the new ZP vid and just as the Pokemon Y symbol comes up I hear Yatzee call me a psychotic...

I love Wind Waker, I havn't completed the other Zeldas but Wind Waker is bloody magic. I thought there were less Tri-force maps but I had no clue about that new sail though... and I love the sailing... YAY, BACK INTO THE DEEP BLUE I GO!

Wind Waker also has Medli, Makar and Tetra who are some of my favorite cute characters /)^3^(\

Yahtzee, come on small fry, gotta love the map fish!

tehweave:
I for one really liked Majora's Mask. I'd like to see what yahtzee thinks of that.

I just didn't get into it like I did OoT.

I'm sorry but I don't care what anyone says. I was NEVER a fan of kid Link (can't connect with him at all and his appearance looks stupid) and was never a fan of cartoony, cell-shaded graphics (really feel it doesn't go with LoZ) and Wind Waker has all this in SPADES. I kid you not, from the FIRST moment I saw this game, I didn't like it. Even further, it started the whole tradition of cell-shaded, kid Link LoZ's and I hate it for that. So yeah, worst Zelda game for me.

Now I'm ready for your rage. Come at me, bros!

As far as Twilight Princess goes, let me be the first to say that this game has problems. Serious problems that cause it to trail somewhat distantly after OoT. It's like the developers were too scared to completely let go of some of the kiddiness inherent in the LoZ series. So they just half-assed it. And when you're making these kinds of games, (mature games) you can't half-ass it. You gotta go all the way or the maturity that you're working so hard to build is lost.

Besides that, there are other rather small problems as well like some of the items being useless outside of their respective dungeons, a couple of the visual designs on different objects looked a little dumb, the whole world feeling rather empty and a little small compared to Ocarina of Time and Zant, when you face him in the end, is such a letdown.

HOWEVER, besides all that nonsense, the game in every other aspect is something truly ambitious and worthy of praise. A lot of the dungeons were actually better than OoT's even. It's a game that I feel deserves a revisit in some way. A LoZ game that had SERIOUS potential.

I like the Wii-U version more than the GC. Main reason? The Wii-U is hooked up to my TV in the living room, so I just hit a button on the gamepad and play in my bed before going to sleep. That one realization made me absurdly happy to discover.

Did they get rid of the godawful, tedious, pointless, contrived forced stealth section that completely killed any desire I had to play the original? no? Then no purchase. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to take their meds more consistently and stop getting game ideas from "the voices".

I am highly suspicious that "mingegurgle" isn't a real word.

Also, I never played Wind-Waker. I kinda skipped that generation of game consoles.

crazygameguy4ever:

Can't truly call it a Wii U game though.. it's on the WII u, but it's virtually the same as the original Gamecube game, only with loads of more sunlight and glare to blind you. The original release of the game on GC was fine as is.. unlike real HD re-releases, this is pretty much the same game only put out to make money from people who don't have gamecube copy of the game and like using a oversized unwieldy tablet to try and control the game. nintendo: the master of giving you games you want with unnecessarily added crap on top of it.

Oh I know, I was going to include "I'm not sure whether it could count anyway" but I decided not to. But still, it defies expectations we have of Yahtzee just by being on the Wii U.

I rather enjoyed this review, for all people saying about his apparent special hatred for Nintendo, he seems to have absolutely no criticisms for the original Wind Waker, and doesn't try to disguise the fact.

I too wonder what he thinks of Majora's Mask, it has a load of different gameplay features and like Wind Waker, the adventure is kicked off because of a decision Link made rather than boring prophecies telling him to and the story is quite interesting.

And lo, form this day forth I shall use the term Mingegurgle at every possible opportunity.

OT - I've never really gotten into Zelda games. I played Twilight Princess on a friends Wii for about an hour. I called my horse, Minge.

Am I missing out?

Wait. I thought you said you liked Twilight Princess, only thinking less of it after finding it to be built off the skeleton of Ocarina of Time. Oh well, no reason you can't like both, I certainly do.

'Mixed reactions'. Understatement. I'll always remember the ridiculous fan backlash Nintendo took for Wind Waker's new graphical style after the 'realistic' Link/Ganondorf sword duel in the previous year's Gamecube trailer. One angry letter described it as a 'baby easy kiddie game' before even playing it. Seeing just how good a game it was after that was actually far more satisfying than if they'd played it safe, and as demonstrated Wind Waker's style has aged a whole lot better than any 'realistic' looking game from that generation.

Smart of them to abbreviate the Triforce Hunt, though if you can make that drastic a change I see no reason not to go whole hog and throw in some bonus islands too, maybe fill out some of the sectors a bit more, eliminate any drops at all in Hero Mode and make rupees worth something again. Ah, that delicious, delicious soup...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here