Escapist News Now: Titanfall Never Coming to PS4

Titanfall Never Coming to PS4

Titanfall to become an Microsoft exclusive.

Watch Video

Escapist News Now:
Microsoft has always been smart with it's exclusive deals

Mass Effect, Bioshock, Overlord, not to mention a fair chunk of Arcade/Indie titles have all slipped through MS' fingers and gone on to be very successful on other platforms. Unless they've gone mad on the money hat then I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on PS4 at some point. I recall talk like this all too well on too many occasions; linky

My PC can run it, so I don't want a new console.

PC crowd is happy regardless of the outcome.

and the PC master race is the true winner. Plus all of our mods will crush all comers.

Doesn't really need it... after all, got a load of other games. Hardly that big of a loss.
Of course, doesn't matter to the PC though, we still get it.

I hate to bring this up guys, and I'm normally on of the first to point out where the PC is better than the Xbone, but Titanfall will be better on the Xbone than the PC. It is an EA title. That means using Origin.

Britishfan:
I hate to bring this up guys, and I'm normally on of the first to point out where the PC is better than the Xbone, but Titanfall will be better on the Xbone than the PC. It is an EA title. That means using Origin.

So replace one piece of intrusive drm with one you have to pay $700 to use.
Could be worse, it could be a hybrid of xbox live and origin. Oh no I spoke too soon!

I.Muir:

Britishfan:

Could be worse, it could be a hybrid of xbox live and origin. Oh no I spoke too soon!

Alright, some blatant inaccuracies here.

Firstly, Xbox One does not have any intrusive DRM, at least not more so than any other console.

Secondly, what's wrong with Origin? It's pretty much the same as Steam, except for in some areas where it actually works better.

TomWiley:

I.Muir:

Britishfan:

Firstly, Xbox One does not have any intrusive DRM, at least not more so than any other console.

Secondly, what's wrong with Origin? It's pretty much the same as Steam, except for in some areas where it actually works better.

Origin's store is more expensive than Steam's, it's less reliable with lower internet speeds than Steam, Steam has more Indy titles, and Steam offers an all-round better customer experience. The only thing Origin does better than Steam is a refund policy.

Eidt: Also Steam does a lot more to support the modding community.

Britishfan:

TomWiley:

I.Muir:

Origin's store is more expensive than Steam's, it's less reliable with lower internet speeds than Steam, Steam has more Indy titles, and Steam offers an all-round better customer experience. The only thing Origin does better than Steam is a refund policy.

Firstly, about prices. Origin recently had a major freaking humble bundle giving away practically their entire catalague to anyone willing to play more than three dollars. That, coupled with the fact that I see 50 percent of written all over Origin everytime I start it makes me wonder if we're talking about the same program, here.

And the internet connection part doesn't make one lick of sense. How fast you can download games and other media isn't dictated by which program you're using (Steam or Origin), but rather your ISP and downstream.

What's unfortunate is that there's really no reason to not have it on PS4 except to make MS happy.

You know, since porting is no longer actually difficult.

I wish people would stop calling Titanfall an "Xbox Exclusive", is it deliberate misinformation? It's on three platforms, Xbone, 360 and PC. It's not even a Microsoft exclusive because it will probably run fine on Wine considering it uses Source Engine.
And why is anyone surprised by this information? I don't expect Uncharted and Killzone to come to Xbox.

TomWiley:

Britishfan:
[quote="TomWiley" [/quote]

Eidt: Also Steam does a lot more to support the modding community.[/quote]

Firstly, about prices. Origin recently had a major freaking humble bundle giving away practically their entire catalague to anyone willing to play more than three dollars. That, coupled with the fact that I see 50 percent of written all over Origin everytime I start it makes me wonder if we're talking about the same program, here.

And the internet connection part doesn't make one lick of sense. How fast you can download games and other media isn't dictated by which program you're using (Steam or Origin), but rather your ISP and downstream.[/quote]

I'm looking at the two stores home pages side by side right now. Steam is currently full of price reductions, Origin has only two title at less than 30 and that's a stripped down SimCity & a Sims 3 expansion. Steam only has one title on its home page that's more than 30 (Football manager 2014)

I live in an Englsih village with shitty internet, when I was talking about the internet I was talking about how the application actually runs when the internet is playing up. Steam just happily continues running in the background, downloading updates or whatever it needs to be doing whenever it can. Origin spazs out, & endless tries to log itself back in without logging back out again and I get a half dozen messages telling me that I'm already logged in on another machine(I'm not) and that if I continue to log in here then it will log me out over there. It is not unusual to have a half dozen of these messages open simultaneously on a slow internet day. (Meanwhile Steam will have done the best job it could with the low download speeds I often have to deal with.

TomWiley:

Britishfan:

TomWiley:

And the internet connection part doesn't make one lick of sense. How fast you can download games and other media isn't dictated by which program you're using (Steam or Origin), but rather your ISP and downstream.

Forgetting what they have equipped their servers to be able to handle of course.

Also well say that the xbox one has no more drm than any other console when it actually turns out that all the crap about sharing games and single install from disc, to be false. Then it will only have 3x the restriction of something without a locked operating system. Oh and one that can't update automatically, disconnects you at odd times and forcibly restarts you.

I.Muir:

TomWiley:

Britishfan:

Forgetting what they have equipped their servers to be able to handle of course.

Also well say that the xbox one has no more drm than any other console when it actually turns out that all the crap about sharing games and single install from disc, to be false. Then it will only have 3x the restriction of something without a locked operating system. Oh and one that can't update automatically, disconnects you at odd times and forcibly restarts you.

Firstly, pretty much any modern operating system on the planet will update automatically and "forcibly" restart. It's a feature, not a restriction.

Secondly, no all that "crap" about sharing games wasn't false. It was never false. Prior to their Internet-Verification reversal you could share all your games digitally, and now you can share them the good-old-way; physically by handing your dusty discs to your friends.

I get how hating Microsoft is the "in" thing right now, but you don't even know what you're talking about =/

TomWiley:

I.Muir:

TomWiley:

Firstly, pretty much any modern operating system on the planet will update automatically and "forcibly" restart. It's a feature, not a restriction.

Secondly, no all that "crap" about sharing games wasn't false. It was never false. Prior to their Internet-Verification reversal you could share all your games digitally, and now you can share them the good-old-way; physically by handing your dusty discs to your friends.

I get how hating Microsoft is the "in" thing right now, but you don't even know what you're talking about =/

I don't remember the last time my computer restarted without my express permission and I don't remember my xbox 360 allowing me to enable disable any damn feature I please. Or don't you know about regedit? Even if you didn't you could probably delay the restart indefinitely and retain complete functionality of the PC. I'm not sure what operating system your using mate but you might want to look into that.

I can't install a new operating system on my xbox, well I can but they do their best to stop you. I can't really edit the menus that it presents you with and I defiantly can't avoid having my connection booted if I don't immediately update. I can't even clean the dust out of the thing without voiding the warranty. You can do nothing with the operating system it present's you with and thus is locked. It's a shitty pc with less than half the power, functionality, customization and it charges a premium for parts so old they ought to cost barely anything at all. This will likely only be worse with the xbox one but at least it will probably be easier for pirates to break into than the ps4.

Perhaps false was the wrong choice of word, a catastrophically idiotic idea might be better. The constantly online DRM would have severely limited the potential audience for the device. The loss of conventional game sharing would likely impact all sale of used games outside of those retailers likely partnered with them and represents a loss of freedoms you previously would have had. It was not a sound business strategy and theses are just some of the reasons why they backpedaled so fast.

I think you should learn to use that computer your typing on before you start trying to dismiss people as trying to hop on some bandwagon.

I.Muir:

I don't remember the last time my computer restarted without my express permission and I don't remember my xbox 360 allowing me to enable disable any damn feature I please. Or don't you know about regedit? Even if you didn't you could probably delay the restart indefinitely and retain complete functionality of the PC. I'm not sure what operating system your using mate but you might want to look into that.

OSX and Windows (NT-kernel versions) can force reboot your systems and will often do so, giving you an option to postpone it about two times before it straight up restarts. It will only install updates automatically every time you boot down the system.

I.Muir:

I can't install a new operating system on my xbox, well I can but they do their best to stop you. I can't really edit the menus that it presents you with and I defiantly can't avoid having my connection booted if I don't immediately update. I can't even clean the dust out of the thing without voiding the warranty. You can do nothing with the operating system it present's you with and thus is locked. It's a shitty pc with less than half the power, functionality, customization and it charges a premium for parts so old they ought to cost barely anything at all. This will likely only be worse with the xbox one but at least it will probably be easier for pirates to break into than the ps4.

You're gonna have those problems with every console ever.

I.Muir:

Perhaps false was the wrong choice of word, a catastrophically idiotic idea might be better. The constantly online DRM would have severely limited the potential audience for the device.

Microsoft did the math and they decided it would be profitable for them to target only the customer segments with Internet connection. It most probably would have too, had it not been for the massive, unwarranted shitstorm over perceived anti-consumerism.

Plot-twist; giving you the option to as a customer purchase a specific product which requires internet connection is not anti-consumerism.

I.Muir:

The loss of conventional game sharing would likely impact all sale of used games outside of those retailers likely partnered with them and represents a loss of freedoms you previously would have had.

Participating retailers would have been practically everyone. Heck, Gamestop and all the large ones were already on-board even before E3. Finding a participating retailer to trade in your game would simply not have been an issue.

And the advantages of their new sharing plans; the ability to give digital games, to share digital games in your library with friends and family via Internet, wherever they maybe on the planet more than makes up for whatever shortcomings their used games policies might have.

Not to mention how used games channeled via official retailers could've sold what is arguebly one of the biggest problems in the gaming industry today; the fact that developers don't make a cent out of used games.

Microsoft could have constructed a system where developers get a tiny percentage of each resell of their game, something that they are more than entitled to, which would perhaps persuade publishers to quit it with all the needless day-one DLC, tacked-on multiplayer, online passes and everything they currently deploy to keep people from trading in their games.

Oh and Microsoft wouldn't have any fees of their own.

Honestly, I think the Xbox One's biggest problem was that the reactionary gaming population were all too stupid to even realize how these new policies could have improved the industry. So they just shitstormed the thing to death, fueled by journalistic media.

I.Muir:

I think you should learn to use that computer your typing on before you start trying to dismiss people as trying to hop on some bandwagon.

I'm not typing on my computer. I'm typing on my keyboard. The computer is the black case sitting next to my monitor.

TomWiley:

snip

1. Under normal circumstances it would force you to restart, however if you were to go to the registry "HKLM\Software\Policies \Microsoft\Windows \WindowsUpdate\AU" I believe there is a disable auto reboot value which would prevent this. It's really not that hard and anybody with the ability to do a Google search should in theory be able to figure it out if they so desired.
2.Perhaps which is probably why I'm not as enthusiastic about console gaming.
3.Is that all game retails within or outside the united states? Major retailers even outside the US would probably survive but any smaller businesses may not. Can this only be a good thing?
4.Just an internet connection is a little vague and yes it would probably still be profitable just maybe not as much as it could have been otherwise. However having to maintain a constant connection would still have infringed on what you were previously able to do with previous versions of the device and I fail to see that as an upgrade. A concern of less relevance to me personally was the active soldiers not being able to play a nice relaxing game of gears of war back at the base but that seemed like a stab at Microsoft for being unpatriotic. Do you really believe there was absolutely no reason to be concerned at what Microsoft was intending to do, that all of it was completely beneficial to everybody? I could understand you playing Devil's advocate because you were irritated by all the hating on Microsoft, but If you truly think that the device was flawless, I just don't get it.
5.No shit. That's a pretty cheap thing to say since it's obvious to everybody that computer implies the non optional input/output devices needed to use it. I suppose you could have it sitting on it's own and use it with a remote desktop connection but that would require what now? Or perhaps you were using a laptop or a tablet where those things are integrated into the device. Tablet did not always mean the tablets people think of today.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here