Miracle of Sound: The New Black Gold 2013 (Deus Ex: HR)

The New Black Gold 2013 (Deus Ex: HR)

The New Black Gold rerecorded and remastered.

Watch Video

I prefer the original. It had a more aggressive sound. But maybe I'm just used to it. It's in my favorites on iPod.

This suits me just fine.
14 minutes left on the DL until I get to play it :D

I still think Gav should of called it "The Newer, Blacker Gold"

Adam Jensen:
I prefer the original. It had a more aggressive sound. But maybe I'm just used to it. It's in my favorites on iPod.

I agree with this oppinion. The priginal had more "power" behind it, which is why I preffer it over this newer version.

This one is "still" very good though.

A new version? I never asked for this.
I prefer the original but this one is good, too :)

Compared to the original, this one feels too clean, too robotic. ...Well played Mr Dunne.

I was expecting "Cries of a Dead World" to pop up, but this works too.

Speaking of which, does anyone know exactly what Cries is about?

After listening to the original and this one, I like them both.

This one sounds more rich with what I think is newer sounds, like the synth and possibly drums.

Still awesome Gav! :D

JaceArveduin:

Its about Wasteland 2, a Fallout style post apocalypse RPG

Sean Kay:

JaceArveduin:

Wasn't Fallout based off Wasteland?

I can not fathom how you ever came to the conclusion that perfection needed an improvement.
But hats off to you, you managed to do it.

It alright but the first one was damn near perfect so its an unfair comparison.

Rerecorded and Remastered? Wow. It's a time of great innovation.

I like the song - particularly the altered ending - but I miss the "punch" of the original. Either way; it's one more song I can't wait to buy.

I loved this song, it's great to hear it revisited.

Hiname:

Adam Jensen:

I agree with this oppinion. The priginal had more "power" behind it, which is why I preffer it over this newer version.

This one is "still" very good though.

I am on this team too. I prefer the first version over the remastered one.

It had rougher edges and the drums were less present.
You could say every instrument was less audible.
It had more of a droning sound, which fits the setting of a working, running machine making noise. That is what I miss in the new one, since now singled out instruments push themselves to the front instead of a perceived collaboration of smaller parts building a bigger picture.

PS: Don't let my words put you down, Gav (and Crew). You are doing an excellent job nevertheless.

I kinda prefer the original, since the instruments were more muted, giving the song a sort of droning, thumping sound. However, I do prefer this version in terms of the vocals. They sound a lot clearer, and I noticed a couple of changes you did (different singing at certain parts) that I really enjoyed. Overall, it's good, but I think I prefer the original.

Can't say whether a preference for the original is just nostalgia or not. Regardless, I am totally in favor of revisiting and re-imagining old MoS songs.

kailus13:
Compared to the original, this one feels too clean, too robotic. ...Well played Mr Dunne.

... yeah, I'll go with this.

Loving this song! Find myself humming it through the day.

it's great, but why rewrite perfection? (you said it yourself Mr Dunne, New Black Gold was your favourite)

Great song, the original version is my favorite Miracle of Sound song. Honestly, this version is still cool but I don't think it added anything to what was already there.

JaceArveduin:

Sean Kay:

JaceArveduin:

Wasn't Fallout based off Wasteland?

The circle is complete.

kailus13:

Thank you for being the first person to actually realise the meta meaning of the song :)

I was amazing to get the same feeling i did the first time i listened to this, Thank you Gavin!

Do I detect DE:HR Director's cut in video?

Man, this is better than the original. It makes me really pissed that I bought the old version on iTunes just a few months ago.

One of my favorite MoS songs a little different now. The guitar riffs are more subdued in the chorus and more synth, with the drums less heavy this time around, but there's more gameplay footage, and I see you used clips from the old [h+]3 trailer, before the game had the official name. I'm not complaining, just pointing out what's different, but well done, Gavin!

This original is probably my favorite miracle of sound song and while the new remix is good I'm afraid I'm also on the team that liked the original more. the synth sound of the original seemed a better fit and the elements seemed to merge better. not sure if that has anything to do with the meta thing mentioned but as to preference I definitely prefer the first.

Just noticed this remastered version. Like zvate, the original is undoubtedly one of my favorite Miracle of sound song coupled with Normandy. Still like it but I'm leaning towards the same opinion that many have already voiced. This version feels a little cluttered, compared to the original.

I think I'm with the "this is not a match for the original" crew. This sounded almost flat to me. Lifeless in places. A lot of the lyrics just felt wrong for me too. That's not to say it didn't have its moments, there were a few that were rad as I could ask for, but as a whole I feel this song is only okay. It's still the only Miracle of Sound song I have any complaint with though.

I also liked the original better, it was more 80's, and therefore more cyberpunk. Also, the verses vere more subtle and calm, with the backing vocals (the octave above) giving that surreal atmosphere to them,. I like the chorus and the ending here more than in the original, but overall the old version works better as a whole and as a cyberpunk anthem.

EDIT : Sorry, the browser bugged out, double post...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here