LoadingReadyRun: The Bodypaint Problem

The Bodypaint Problem

Among all the options you could choose for a Halloween costume, some are far worse than others.

Watch Video

Black face paint. The gift that keeps on giving

fantastic video.

was going to comment on youtube earlier. LRR's youtube channel is where all the nice comments live.

"Well your in luck."

That was a good episode... ..but Captcha is advising me to give you the cold shoulder...

Who's Al Joleson? I don't even know if I'm spelling it right.

Is that entire store dedicated to halloween? I wonder what they do for most of the year.

Wow, fantastic video. Can't believe I've been passing these gems up. I'll have to view some more.

Lol, very good ending: "Well, here's your four dollars back and never come here again!".
The delivery did it, nice and swift. Well done!

Captcha: "Black Monday", I kid you not!

kailus13:

Is that entire store dedicated to halloween? I wonder what they do for most of the year.

Google Al Jolson. He's kinda the poster boy for blackface. It's... yeah.

kailus13:

Al Jolson was an actor in the 1920s-1930s, most famous for the movie The Jazz Singer.

The More You Know!

I kinda expected this to be about the problem I had with bodypaint.

IT GETS EVERYWHERE.

AND IT CAN LINGER ON YOU FOR FUCKING AGES.

Oh, Beej. Don't stop being you, ya crazy oblivious knucklehead.

Beej - Accidentally offensive guy

KoDOmega:

kailus13:

Google Al Jolson. He's kinda the poster boy for blackface. It's... yeah.

That being said, Jolson was pretty forthright with his attempts to break down racial discrimination on Broadway and in general, and was an advocate and friend to many who were otherwise treated like crap.

kailus13:

A friend's family runs a costume shop. A lot of their off-season business comes from consignment, rentals, custom tailoring, etc.

I really don't know how they are able to turn a profit, but they are apparently doing SOMETHING right.

Al Jolson performed in blackface, as did many actors of his time. It's sort of like Peter Ustinov or Mickey Rooney taping up their eyes to "look Chinese."

kailus13:

A lot of stores like that pop up in my city in the fall. They rent out building space for a couple months and then instantly disappear once Halloween is over.

I did not expect that ending :D

Good video, but did the camera seem especially shaky to anyone else? It's confusing because the shots were hypothetically static, I wonder if LRR was having tripod problems.

Hilarious, well played with the multiple explanation slides.

Although, I could see some younger people not knowing about 'blackface'. I know of one white child who dressed up as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr causing some controversy. Just think, in 20 more years, many young adults will not get 'blackface' references at all, or if they do, not understand the problem with dressing up as their hero (MLK, Pres. Obama, ect.)

Gilhelmi:

Although, I could see some younger people not knowing about 'blackface'. I know of one white child who dressed up as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr causing some controversy. Just think, in 20 more years, many young adults will not get 'blackface' references at all, or if they do, not understand the problem with dressing up as their hero (MLK, Pres. Obama, ect.)

They'll know what blackface is for the same reasons you do, from history lessons and a general cultural awareness of the past. It's not like you know about actors in blackface because you actually remember that time period yourself, it's doubtful even your parents witnessed blackface firsthand.

OlasDAlmighty:

Gilhelmi:

They'll know what blackface is for the same reasons you do, from history lessons and a general cultural awareness of the past. It's not like you know about actors in blackface because you actually remember that time period yourself, it's doubtful even your parents witnessed blackface firsthand.

I think you underestimate the cultural awareness the younger children have. They might know something is "bad" but they do not know why it is so. I even have had to explain what blackface was to a person when they read the Rodeo Clown story (the Clown was screwed btw, he had dressed up as EVERY president back to the Nixon era).

I know did not learn about blackface from a history lesson (not in school anyway) I learned what it was from MovieBob. I knew putting black face-paint on was a bad idea, but I never really understood why.

Though, my parents did see blackface first-hand. Father is 78, Mother is 69 (I am only 30, they started late in life). I say this, because the more I learn about history, the more of what they taught makes sense. I could not figure out why they insistent upon equality. To me equality was more of a given. Why would I treat someone else differently because of skin tone? Then I studied 1940-1960s American history (not in school but as a hobby, schools neuter everything), that is the era my father grew up in and served in the Navy starting in the late 50s. I was shocked honestly, so much left out of schools. I knew of Dr. Martin Luther King, but it was not until I actually studied (again not in school, as it was useless or even incorrect at times) MLK that I understood him and the civil rights movement. Again though, I had to take the initiative to understand. School only taught that things occurred, not necessarily WHY things occurred, or the players involved (beyond the major players).

I am not saying school is a complete waste of time. But they only teach so you pass the tests. Only rare occasion, usually when a teacher sees you excelling or takes a liking to you, do they go above and beyond to help you really understand things.

My feelings on this matter are very complicated, I am not sure I put them in the proper words.

Gilhelmi:

I am not saying school is a complete waste of time. But they only teach so you pass the tests. Only rare occasion, usually when a teacher sees you excelling or takes a liking to you, do they go above and beyond to help you really understand things.

I'm sorry to here your education was like that, don't however assume that that's how every school and teacher operates. Most of my teachers taught in an open Socratic format where nothing was off the table so long as it was relevant to the time period we were learning about. And yes we learned all about racism, sexism, antisemitism and pretty any other dark subject matter almost indiscriminately.

I guess my point is that if in 20 years children don't know what black-face is, it'll be due to a failure of our educational system, not the mere passage of time.

OlasDAlmighty:

Gilhelmi:

I'm sorry to here your education was like that, don't however assume that that's how every school and teacher operates. Most of my teachers taught in an open Socratic format where nothing was off the table so long as it was relevant to the time period we were learning about. And yes we learned all about racism, sexism, antisemitism and pretty any other dark subject matter almost indiscriminately.

I guess my point is that if in 20 years children don't know what black-face is, it'll be due to a failure of our educational system, not the mere passage of time.

Perhaps it will be a little of column A and column B. Really, I have had some very good teachers, but at the same time I have had 2 really good teachers (one college, one HS) teach the same subject but gave contradictory information. I looked into it, and both 'interpretations' were 'correct', as the event in question was so long ago it was hard to distinguish fact from myth. The Pilgrims and Thanksgiving is the best (but not even most recent) example. Thanksgiving was not even an official Holiday until President Lincoln, before that it was just proclaimed sometime in the fall and not even nationally celebrated. The Pilgrims part is open to much interpretation from the "They were racist" to the, "They were welcoming and not racist", even the "It did not happen at all" ends of the spectrum.

Even in this modern age where every bit of information is seemed to be saved. Someone in the future, will sort through and cheery pick what fits their 'agenda'. Heck, I read one-time about a history book that taught the CONFEDERACY had willing free-black soldiers). Who the heck would believe that insane nonsense? Well, a young elementary student who has never been taught differently. This was in 2010. Some of the sources lead back to Sons of Confederate Veterans. [start of sarcasm]gee, I wonder if they had reason to try and change historical perception[end of sarcasm] (the text has been pulled from curriculum after the outcry, I hope.)

That leads to my passage of time point. The Holocaust really did happen, I have personally meet a survivor. Yet still, people try denial or down-playing it? But in 100-200 years, a historian will read the denial accounts and have to try to figure out if it really happened. Two seemingly reliable sources (some anti-smites are in powerful and influential positions) contradicting one another.

So I think we are both right. The passage of time will blur history, people with agendas will change history, and schools will not know which history to pick so they will over-simplify.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Good video, but did the camera seem especially shaky to anyone else? It's confusing because the shots were hypothetically static, I wonder if LRR was having tripod problems.

It is a secret to everybody, but I had the impression this was shot on a blue screen (maybe they didn't have access to a real store for the time they needed to). So when the screen shakes, the background doesn't, and it looks really weird - but if you don't figure out, you might only realized it looked strangely shaky.

OlasDAlmighty:

Does Archie Bunker count?

One of the primary reasons kids of my generation infer the negativity is because we saw it demonstrated trough media. I'm not sure how long that will carry on unless criticism of it is a routine thing.

It's perfectly possible already not to get the social context of blackface.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here