Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 6: F.Z.Z.T.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 6: F.Z.Z.T.

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. comes back after a one-week break with an episode that's not quite up to the standards of the "Whoa! This suddenly got A LOT better!"

Read Full Article

One thing I noticed that Bob did not mention was that in the Coulson/Firefighter pre-death scene, Coulson asks the firefighter about risking his life and having a dangerous job before assuring him about the "other-side". I thought this might have hinted at Valhalla, aka the viking afterlife reserved for warriors. "Tahiti" might have been Valhalla, or whatever the Marvel/Thor equivalent of Valhalla is.

I thought it was a comforting lie. He was too generic but had an understanding.

I figured the revelation was just what happened at the end. Phil is Phil just.. .traumatized and put together maybe with a cybord heart (hence the elevated iron in the blood)

I don't understand the complaints about this series. I don't think it's bad at all.

Thanks for doing these Bob, I enjoy reading what you think about this show!

I for one remain entertained, although this week it was a little too heavy on the emo side for me. But the actors managed to pull it off and I was still really enjoying watching it.

Adding a gay character would for me personally be really cool in a big budget show like this. Excited for next week!

I really enjoyed this weeks episode, mostly because of Fitz/Simmons relationship and how it plays out like really close siblings. Fitz is starting to become one of my favorites of the cast and I'm glad we got more emotions out of Simmons other than "yay! Science~!"

This was one of the best episodes we've seen so far, simply because of it being a character driven episode with characters sadly undeveloped up to this episode.

I think I'm in the minority in that I really like Fitz/Simmons so I was really happy with this episode. It was nice getting those tidbits of background about them and seeing them do more than just SCIENCE! all the time. Also Skye is becoming less annoying to me as the show goes on, luckily.

Did it get better yet? I really want to like it but I couldn't watch it after the second episode D:

Was it just me, but during the May/Coulson scene, did May imply that she too also died at one point?

Andrew Siribohdi:
I don't understand the complaints about this series. I don't think it's bad at all.

Same here. It's the first time I've watched a network TV show after switching to Satellite TV back in 2000. I'm wondering how much the next episode (or is that the episode after) will tie in to Thor: The Dark World.

I've been back and forth on this series. Its been a fairly lackluster series so far and I've hated Fitz and Simmons. I was convinced those characters couldn't act. This episode changed my mind on that and made me love all of these characters. Previously I mainly watched for Coulsen and May. Now I'll be watching for pretty much all of them except Skye. Skye oddly enough hasn't won me over.

Really hope they make use of their connective tissue to the Marvel movies. Starting to doubt they will.

Great write up Bob. But you might want to set your DVR a little broader. There is an after credits scene between Agent Coulson and Agent Blake on their arrival at the Sandbox. Blake is politely chastising Coulson for his transparent violation of protocal. Coulson goes completely badass in his response.

I loved the scene between Coulson and May. It is great seeing just how good the series A list actors can be when playing against one another. So much told with so few words. I think Bob is not completely orrect about these two characters. This isn't some blossoming new romance. These two have some sort of past history, and a deep affection. (I wonder if May plays the Cello?)

I disagree with you bob about this episode being sub-par. Personally I thought it was the best episode so far.

prpshrt:
Did it get better yet? I really want to like it but I couldn't watch it after the second episode D:

It did. though it wasn't bad to begin with for me at least. They made a better firebender then M. Night could on a blockbuster budget then gave Coulson one of the best lines in the show so far.

musim:
I've been back and forth on this series. Its been a fairly lackluster series so far and I've hated Fitz and Simmons. I was convinced those characters couldn't act. This episode changed my mind on that and made me love all of these characters. Previously I mainly watched for Coulsen and May. Now I'll be watching for pretty much all of them except Skye. Skye oddly enough hasn't won me over.

Really hope they make use of their connective tissue to the Marvel movies. Starting to doubt they will.

Well they made more use of it in this one then they have in the previous ones. I mean a Chitauri helmet from The Avengers sets the whole thing in motion and became the center piece of the lore this week. It'd be nice if Cap. or Nick or one of the other movie characters that actually are S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to make an appearance for more then a cameo. Sadly budgets are budgets and I think the only real reason we got Nick in the episode 2 is because Samuel L. Jackson just loves being Nick Fury too much so he probably approached them. Still the other movie agents would actually break the bank beyond just hiring them. Seeing as most of their shtick can be done on a TV show budget. Hell they've been doing Hawkeye's thing on a TV show budget for Arrow and Black Widow is basically just a smoking hot agent that kicks more ass then anyone else. Cap's shield tricks might cost more to make but I don't think that would be too hard to do. Now Thor or Iron Man. Their effects would break the bank easily.

I feel like all the 'hints' at Coulson being a robot are just a bit too obtuse for that to actually be the case. I'm thinking (more like hoping) it's just going to be a red herring so that we don't expect the real revelation when it... err.. reveals.

Also, Bob keeps commenting about this whole Fitz/Skye thing is so apparent, and honestly, I don't see it that way. Though again, I might be just hoping it's not going to turn out like that. I really hope Fitz and Simmons start dating. They're already really close, I just feel like that would be a far more realistic to see them together. This episode strengthened that hope for me in two particular scenes. When Simmons says the line about how he followed her into the field work, and the scene near the end where she tries to make him feel better. Neither of those scenes makes me think of their relationship being "brother/sister"-like.

Swiftarm:
I feel like all the 'hints' at Coulson being a robot are just a bit too obtuse for that to actually be the case. I'm thinking (more like hoping) it's just going to be a red herring so that we don't expect the real revelation when it... err.. reveals.

Also, Bob keeps commenting about this whole Fitz/Skye thing is so apparent, and honestly, I don't see it that way. Though again, I might be just hoping it's not going to turn out like that. I really hope Fitz and Simmons start dating. They're already really close, I just feel like that would be a far more realistic to see them together. This episode strengthened that hope for me in two particular scenes. When Simmons says the line about how he followed her into the field work, and the scene near the end where she tries to make him feel better. Neither of those scenes makes me think of their relationship being "brother/sister"-like.

Or does Fitz like Skye... Who is into Ward... Who is interested in Simmons... Who... uh... wants... Skye?

YEAH

BOOM

B-O-O-M.

Now give me a geometric shape to describe that relationship! I need to e-mail it to the writing staff!

OT:
I think this episode was probably the most low-key of all of them, but had the most character weight behind it. It's why I felt episode two was awkwardly placed given we didn't know -anyone- yet, and it just dropped the whole "THEY'RE A TEEM GUISE" thing really really hard on the audience. It doesn't feel nearly as strange now.

Andrew Siribohdi:

For me... I don't think it's bad but I don't think it's "Awesome!" either. It just seems like a better and well funded version of other similar shows. And that "better" is only starting to emerge as it really seemed to be about the same quality as those other shows at the start.

Swiftarm:

More Coulson theory is always fun!

I'm starting to wonder if they are just messing with everyone's heads over Coulson. We see that he has his scar from the wound he took, so either they reconstructed it in his "new body" or he's still in the same body which is perhaps augmented in some fashion. If it turns out that he just has some tech inside him and he's not fully aware of the scope of work required to revive him... that might be a bit anticlimactic. Considering the big focus on villain tech from the movies it would perhaps be a more standard "twist" to find out that they used some sort of Chitauri technology to fix him.

Fitz being into Skye is pretty darn apparent. Bob or someone else somewhere had the opinion that it seems like the old "geeky boy is into girl who isn't into him and complains about it to geeky gal pal who is annoyed that he doesn't notice her" deal. Seems very possible, and unfortunate since it's a pretty tired trope.

Eh, I still doubt this show could ever be as good as Arrow has been. I mean, other than the sometimes hammy soap opera trappings (which aren't THAT bad to be honest, just a minor gripe), it's pretty much the perfect comic book show you could ask for. It has that nice balance of cool action, the occasional big name from DC's mythology, and a bit of maturity to it all.

I found this one not only better than Scorch, but also the best so far. Primarily because Fitz and Simmons get to do more than just be the giddy bubble-headed science twins. Simmons is so cheerful and happy while talking about how this deadly virus propagates and emerges in huge blasts of electricity... until she realizes she has it, like a doctor obsessively cataloguing cancer symptoms out of morbid interest instead of a desire to cure it. On that note, one of their flying probes is now infected as well isn't it (the second victim)?

'HURR HURR I'm Agent Grant Ward, I ate Chuck Norris for breakfast this morning'.

TheStatutoryApe:
Or does Fitz like Skye... Who is into Ward... Who is interested in Simmons... Who... uh... wants... Skye?

right on, i was coming in here to babble about this. Call it the "Love Polygon" (in which every character on the show seems to be in love with another).

I'd tweak one link in your chain though: I thought the bit where Fitz talks through how Simmons has always been dragging him around suggested that he was realizing she had thing for him. Maybe I was reading too much into it. Maybe he was just realizing how much he valued her. or that she was a good friend, or whatever.
But the way he shut down that train of talking-thought and start clumsily struggling to get back to work made me feel for them both. To me it was the moment where a lonely guy who's pining for the wrong girl (skye) realizes his best friend is pining for him - as she is about to die. (sniff).

Alek_the_Great:
Eh, I still doubt this show could ever be as good as Arrow has been. ...

man, i'm stunned that so many folks are so positive about Arrow.
After some glowing praise from (usually snarky) people on io9, i decided to jump in. Caught up just as the new season started. and had to give it up a couple weeks ago.
it's basically just another cliche CW show about pretty young people who bitch about being rich and sexy. Full of soap opera relationships and lots of staring.
(... I guess I was excited by the potential that the island would be Lost-level interesting. magical or spiritual. but by the second episode they'd crapped on that and revealed it to just be a Chinese military goon complex? meh. I still dig Diggle, because the actor has so much charisma. Wanted to dig Harry-Dresden-guy as the eternally drunk cop, but eventually just found myself laughing at his endless hate-filled dad antics. The main character seems to have 2 looks. the lawyer-love-interest has perfected her lusty open mouth staring as a response to all things. not quite acting. bleargh)

I enjoy Agents of Sheild for not being about a bunch mopey brats who communicate like 12 year olds.
(i'm being harsh because I feel like Arrow is some sort of emperor's new clothes. Not attacking you as for liking it.)
(... somehow I went super negative here, when i just meant to bring it around to how much better A.o.S. is ... erg)

Best episode yet, for me. Not sure why people are suggesting the Ward/Simmons thing, he's more like the protective big brother to all the kids, making sure they come home safe. And while I know people will ship anything, I don't really get the romantic vibe coming from him towards anyone. That would be a fun twist, that the generically handsome, muscular white dude of the show doesn't have any inter-team relationships. That would be good, because then we could give FitzSimmons the space to do...whatever it is they're wanting to do. With the number of red herrings around, it's quite fun to notice all the SUBTLE clues they're dropping about him being an android/robot/cyborg/tin dog, but I don't think they're really going through with that. Misdirection seems more likely.

Ferisar:
Now give me a geometric shape to describe that relationship! I need to e-mail it to the writing staff!

Assuming that we add Fitz to the love shape, and because the word is relevant in the Marvel universe, why not a Tesseract?

It theoretically fits with the mercurial nature of love-things.

If there's one flaw with this episode, it's that we missed the REAL debriefing. I mean, there must have been a ton of emotion going on in the moments after everyone realized what happened, but we just get to see hours later after Ward and Simmons get fished out of the ocean. I can imagine the two of them would have shared an interesting moment talking about how Simmons just tried to commit suicide, similarly with Coulson and the Cavalry as Coulson is once again faced with death and the loss of a team member, while Fitz probably knelt down on the cargo bay door, unable to move, even think, until he heard Simmons was safe. I wanted to see all of that, feel all of it, but what I got was 'Well, you're safe. Don't do it again.'

Why do the Shield bosses in this show always have their face half in shadow like its supposed to mean they're a bit evil?

warrenEBB:

it's basically just another cliche CW show about pretty young people who bitch about being rich and sexy. Full of soap opera relationships and lots of staring.

Arrow started like a soap with one guy who sometimes like to shoot people with a bow and I almost gave up on it too but it does get a lot better.

just like to say thanks for these articles, they are a real test of my patience as being in the uk each ep does not get onto tv till friday, as i somehow never got into comics like my friends i know basically noting about the backstory and all these topics that are intamated during the show are going over my head so a nice recap and rundown of stuff is handy.

with the whole love geometric shape thing that they are are hinting at i wouldnt be supprised if it we were all being set up to be subverted. as has been said its a bit of an old trope but then as we saw last ep they are willing to take you one way, skye double cross shacking up with other half on the sly, and then blow it apart right away. so maybe we have a brother sister relationship with fitz simmons then skye resiprocates simmones feelings but they are breaking some rule or other so get told noting can happen. that probally wont happen but its at least something different from the norm.

I really enjoyed this episode. It was one of the first where I sat back after watching it and said to myself "hey that was really good!"

it made me much more invested in the characters (slowly but surely I guess) and I'm def more excited for the next episode than before :D

I'm enjoying the show it's the not the best show in the world but after watching revolution and defiance it looks a lot better by comparison. Don't even get me started on how revolution got a second season it's the biggest piece of dreck I've seen for a while.

ritchards:
Was it just me, but during the May/Coulson scene, did May imply that she too also died at one point?

I felt that she implied that she almost died.

azra_jael:
I think I'm in the minority in that I really like Fitz/Simmons so I was really happy with this episode. It was nice getting those tidbits of background about them and seeing them do more than just SCIENCE! all the time. Also Skye is becoming less annoying to me as the show goes on, luckily.

It was good that we finally got a bigger emotional spectrum from the cast.

Also, you're not the only one. I really like Fitz/Simmons too, and I was afraid they were going to kill Simmons.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here