Ryse: Son of Rome Preview: Summary Execution

Ryse: Son of Rome Preview: Summary Execution

Criticized for Kinect, quick time events, and lack of meaningful gameplay, Ryse has a lot working against it. You'll find yourself pleasantly surprised by how rewarding the combat experience is.

Read Full Article

Seems awfully polarizing. We get previews like this and then you get GameInformer's and Joystiq's very negative previews. I'll be interested to see what the reviews are when it actually comes out.

I fail to see how giving enemies a button coloured aura around them instead of a button shaped icon above their heads is much of an actual distinction when it comes to yet another game with QTE finishing moves. But hey, at least there's actual combat in the game instead of just QTEs so I guess that's something.

StriderShinryu:
I fail to see how giving enemies a button coloured aura around them instead of a button shaped icon above their heads is much of an actual distinction when it comes to yet another game with QTE finishing moves. But hey, at least there's actual combat in the game instead of just QTEs so I guess that's something.

Well, you're kinda taking the sentence there out of context. The point is that there is more to it then QTE. I've played quite a bit of it so I can confirm that from personal experience.

Overall, it looks like a pretty neat game; definitely underrated.

Phrozenflame500:
Seems awfully polarizing. We get previews like this and then you get GameInformer's and Joystiq's very negative previews. I'll be interested to see what the reviews are when it actually comes out.

Agreed, both this and the preview for Dead Rising 3 feel more like advertisements than actual previews. Almost nothing touching on any negatives in the game, just all overbearingly positives. Nothing about the lack of variety in attacks, or how the combat really feels considering it doesn't punish you at all for failing at anything.

StriderShinryu:

They keep going on about how it is supposed to feel like a movie and whatnot. Let's face it, slight aura around your target is way less disturbing then huge icon above his head. I believe your mind will block out the subtle hints and keep you in while you can never really forget about them buttons ;)

I have now read 6 reviews about this game... this is the only positive one. Not sure what that says yet...

I don't think the reviewer was bought, I just think that the reviewer might be one of the few who likes the game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here