No Right Answer: "Best" Superhero Movie Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Best" Superhero Movie Ever

Harkening back to our original premise of the worst choices for the best debates, we proudly present this debate.

Watch Video

I honestly miss these kinds of debates. They should be brought back from time to time.

Daredevil was heaps better than Spidey 3 and i'm a Spider-man fan but then i'm comparing the Directors Cut of DD, so :P

How is "He got bitten by a radioactive seeing-eye dog" not the quote of the week?

That's the quote of the year right there!

I lost it at the blind jokes. Seriously, "radioactive seeing eye dog"? Lol, brilliant.

No love for "Steel" then?

Omg, loved this throw back epidote so much!

Glad they don't do these all the time but yeah, do like the idea as an occasional bit.

I would've probably chosen Superman Returns ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/ )* vs. Batman Forever ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112462/ )**

* because how do you fail to make a great Superman movie? Much less one with Kevin Spacey?!

** aka 'Nipples Batman'

I wouldn't mind seeing more episodes like this.

As for the topic, neither movie was really that bad. I will say that Daredevil is more "not bad" of the two, especially if it's the director's cut. Colin Farrell as Bullseye and Micheal Clarke Duncan as Kingpin more than made up for most of the other performances.

Still, hopefully the new Daredevil series coming to Netflix will be up to the standards that the Marvel movies have set.

Elijah Newton:
Glad they don't do these all the time but yeah, do like the idea as an occasional bit.

I would've probably chosen Superman Returns ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/ )* vs. Batman Forever ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112462/ )**

* because how do you fail to make a great Superman movie? Much less one with Kevin Spacey?!

** aka 'Nipples Batman'

Batman Forever is an EXCELLENT movie. It had an excellent supporting cast with villains that actually fit the movie. The 'Nipple Suit' didn't come in until the movie you're actually thinking of: its atrocious sequel, Batman & Robin ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118688/ ). Forever's 5.4 trumps B&R's 3.6 any day, but all ratings aside, watch both of them in a row and tell me with a straight face the Forever is bad.

Of those two, Daredevil. Daredevil could have been better, but Spider Man 3 diminishes my appreciation of the prior two movies. I really, really enjoyed both Spider Man 1 & 2, especially 2. The third just missed the mark entirely. I felt that the animated TV series managed to create a more menacing, uncontrollably violent "Black" Spider Man than the film.

Next week's episode:
Best "Superhero" Movie Ever
followed by
Best Superhero "Movie" Ever

Elijah Newton:

** aka 'Nipples Batman'

How do you fail to make a great Superman movie? easily Superman 3, Superman 4 and Man of Steel show that. I consider Superman returns to be the best Superman film personally ( he actually saves people without using violence! ).

And it's Batman and Robin with the nipples not Batman Forever.

Excellent episode, great to see the classic style (and I loved that smooth Jones Soda pan across the screen!)

No Punisher? No Elektra? Come on, those are *clearly* the "best" superhero movies ever created! Elektra's even a sequel (sorta) to Daredevil!

Either way, while I like the gag debate format, I'd rather see the water-based drinking round. Jones is great and all but that smooth, smooth Canadian taste is meant to be savoured, not shotgunned.

<_<
>_>
-_-

FUCK IT! I LIKE DARE-DEVIL, I FINK ISHA GOOOOD FILLEM, COME AT MEH!!!

Butt cereal folks, I don't think Dare-Devil is that bad, some of it is pretty damn good e.g. Michael Clark Duncan, the soundtrack, Bulls Eye is fun, even the blurry action cam didn't annoy me like it usually does.

Now Elektra, that was a piece of poopoo.

I'm bias toward Daredevil as I liked it in the first place (well ok not as much compared to the lastest films) when compared to Spidy 3.

I love how you guys shouted out to Batman, Incorporated! That could be a subject for a debate for another day.
I'm going to say it, I like Daredevil. It was more a more faithful adaptation of it's source material (the Frank Miller written stuff anyway, not when Stan Lee wrote him), MCD and Colin Farrel ate up the scenery as the Kingpin and Bullseye, DD himself had a believable character arc, and it inspired me to pick up the comic book. Spider-Man 3, well, was just made of fail. Kind of messed up the previous two installments. X-Men 3 was better than that, and at least that one started with the potential to be good!

Mr. Omega:
I wouldn't mind seeing more episodes like this.

As for the topic, neither movie was really that bad. I will say that Daredevil is more "not bad" of the two, especially if it's the director's cut. Colin Farrell as Bullseye and Micheal Clarke Duncan as Kingpin more than made up for most of the other performances.

Still, hopefully the new Daredevil series coming to Netflix will be up to the standards that the Marvel movies have set.

Daredevil's gonna be a Netflix series?! Sweet! When did they announce that?

Elijah Newton:

** aka 'Nipples Batman'

Yeah.. no. You're thinking Batman & Robin. Batman Forever was pretty fun, and Val Kilmer did a good job as Batman. Much better than George Clooney.

Superman Returns got actually better after Man Of Steel. In Superman returns you can at least acknowledge that the character is in fact Superman and also a superhero. And I'm talking thematically, not visually.

What are these guys high or something, what are they thinking! Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knows that Green Lantern and The Fantastic Four are the best super hero movies ever made. Spiderman 3 and Daredevil barely even touch the sheer magnificence of these two gems of cinema.

TiberiusEsuriens:
The 'Nipple Suit' didn't come in until the movie you're actually thinking of: its atrocious sequel, Batman & Robin

TheMemoman:
Yeah.. no. You're thinking Batman & Robin. Batman Forever was pretty fun, and Val Kilmer did a good job as Batman. Much better than George Clooney.

Kumagawa Misogi:
And it's Batman and Robin with the nipples not Batman Forever.

aaaaah, right, quite right. Thanks for the corrections, everyone. Honestly, B&R was the one I was thinking of but I was scanning imdb for the director (Schumacher) and forgot that he did two movies. I was fixated on Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy and the return to camp. Cannot for the life of me remember much about this one except thinking at the time that Carey made a pretty decent Riddler - I probably should watch it again. Thanks for the corrections.

Kumagawa Misogi:
How do you fail to make a great Superman movie? easily Superman 3, Superman 4 and Man of Steel show that. I consider Superman returns to be the best Superman film personally ( he actually saves people without using violence! ).

Hm - good point that this wasn't the first Superman to be meh or worse. Personally I think the first was the best, but I'm surprised the franchise hasn't been handled better overall. I'd be more enthusiastic about Superman Returns ( agree with you about the not using violence as key ), but there were scenes towards the end that to me made the movie uncomfortably xenophobic. Also, while I can't remember the details to save my life, the kid in the movie was... out of place.

Anyway, it's not that it's amazing that, say, Batman has enjoyed a number of successful movies, but I would have expected roughly the same regard for Superman over the years and clearly that's not the case.

Eh, to be fair, I don't hate either. I mean, Daredevil was not bad, the Director's Cut that is, pretty watchable, the actors are decent, the action is nice and stuff and Spider-Man 3... well, Sandman is cool, the action scenes are great as always and... to be fair, while I didn't like the dance scene, I didn't hate the whole "Peter Parker acting like douchebag while dressed in black" sequence. It was... kinda fun and the music I really dug. Of course the movie overdid drama and forever cemented Raimi Spider-Man films as full of wangst (something neither SM1 nor SM2 really suffered from that much), but nonetheless. Weakest Spider-Man movie? Yeah. Just plain bad? Nope.

In a debate of Which is the least Terrible movie, Daredevil rightly won.
As others mentioned, especially in its Director's Cut the movie is pretty good to watch and Baffleck keeps it true to the character.

Spiderman 3 is Spiderman 3 and 4 stuffed in one movie because they knew they wouldn't get a fourth one, and suffers because they tried to put everything in. To this day I maintain that either Venom or the Sandman should not have been in this film, as it weakened the entire structure of it. It's easily the worst of the three Spiderman movies, and a far worse film than Daredevil.

you almost miss the quotation marks there. Of the two... Daredevil was better as a movie because it felt S3 was far to cluttered and they were trying to do too much with it with Symbiote, then Venom, then Sandman, then another green goblin, and that's just too much in one mvie. I mean the only guy who probably cant carry a full movie is Sandman out of those four. Maybe Symbiote too, but then you just throw in venom instead and maybe do a two fer with Carnage.

I'm going to throw my hat in for Green lantern as best because to me, the only real thing that was wrong with it was Reynolds is not a good Hal Jordan. He'd probably fair better as a Kyle Rayner (or at least a little better). That and they tacked on that bit with sinestro a bit needlessly and lead up to you feeling that they should have done it earlier int he film and had him be the main or just not at all.

I couldn't watch this because a minute in, some shitty advert for eye drops started talking to me. And it was underneath the content so I couldn't even shut it up without stopping the video.

I don't mind ads, I understand they pay for the site, but these ads with sound that have been cropping up on this site in recent months are way, way too intrusive.

PunkRex:
<_<
>_>
-_-

FUCK IT! I LIKE DARE-DEVIL, I FINK ISHA GOOOOD FILLEM, COME AT MEH!!!

Butt cereal folks, I don't think Dare-Devil is that bad, some of it is pretty damn good e.g. Michael Clark Duncan, the soundtrack, Bulls Eye is fun, even the blurry action cam didn't annoy me like it usually does.

Now Elektra, that was a piece of poopoo.

Glad to see another that actually liked it. So did I. 1:22 That's adorable. =) 3:26 Yeah, but Micheal Clarke Duncan's performance really sold it.
4:26 Jessica Garner as Electra? Seriously,guys? Colin Farrell was good as Bullseye,though. Yeah...that one was BORING. Again, I agree with Blockbuster Buster that Jessica Garner was the wrong choice for the role.

I actually liked Spiderman 3 for the most part, it's a 3 hours movie that people condemn because of one 5 minute scene.

And even that scene isn't the travesty people make it out to be. Peter's an awkward geek pretending to be dark and cool, of course it's going to be silly and ridiculous.

Oh well, you'll never convince me it's worse than Daredevil.

Huh... were those sodas laced with hard alcohol or somethin? The guys seemed to be a little out of it after drinking them...

RT:
Eh, to be fair, I don't hate either. I mean, Daredevil was not bad, the Director's Cut that is, pretty watchable, the actors are decent, the action is nice and stuff and Spider-Man 3... well, Sandman is cool, the action scenes are great as always and... to be fair, while I didn't like the dance scene, I didn't hate the whole "Peter Parker acting like douchebag while dressed in black" sequence. It was... kinda fun and the music I really dug. Of course the movie overdid drama and forever cemented Raimi Spider-Man films as full of wangst (something neither SM1 nor SM2 really suffered from that much), but nonetheless. Weakest Spider-Man movie? Yeah. Just plain bad? Nope.

Theres actually a lot to love in Spidey 3, especially douche Parker and the fights with Gobby Jr. What makes it painful to watch for me is, early on, Peter isn't a nerd. He's a dork, which is worse. He really blows it with MJ in a way he never did during part 1 and 2. He was a lovable nerd in those two movies, but when up to bat, always said the right thing. In 3? He's Donald Trump with no money. Painful.

So, fast forward to the action scenes. They often make little sense (Why is Sandman helping to kidnap an innocent girl and terrorize a town) but man are they fun to watch.

leviadragon99:
Huh... were those sodas laced with hard alcohol or somethin? The guys seemed to be a little out of it after drinking them...

Not alcohol, but it's like drinking maple syrup, only instead of maple, it's blue and green. Hard to function after a whole bottle.

Gorfias:

RT:

Theres actually a lot to love in Spidey 3, especially douche Parker and the fights with Gobby Jr. What makes it painful to watch for me is, early on, Peter isn't a nerd. He's a dork, which is worse. He really blows it with MJ in a way he never did during part 1 and 2. He was a lovable nerd in those two movies, but when up to bat, always said the right thing. In 3? He's Donald Trump with no money. Painful.

So, fast forward to the action scenes. They often make little sense (Why is Sandman helping to kidnap an innocent girl and terrorize a town) but man are they fun to watch.

Oh yeah, Douche Parker vs Gobby Jr. is one of my fav fights. And yeah, pretty much all the stuff concerning romance in Spidey 3 is painful to watch.

I understand where they were going with this, but X Men: First Class is the best super hero movie.

Explain to me why you abandoned this format?

And what about Pumaman?!?

It's so great to see you guys bringing back the original concept! I'd honestly prefer it if you kept to it, at least for a while. It's refreshing to see a debate that doesn't give a shit. Also, I missed the Jones soda. Much longer rebuttals.

ryukage_sama:
I felt that the animated TV series managed to create a more menacing, uncontrollably violent "Black" Spider Man than the film.

I agree. I remember the part when he literally smacks Rhino around like a ragdoll and almost kills him, but realizes what he was about to do. God, I miss that cartoon. The six arm episodes were pretty cool.

minimacker:

ryukage_sama:
I felt that the animated TV series managed to create a more menacing, uncontrollably violent "Black" Spider Man than the film.

I agree. I remember the part when he literally smacks Rhino around like a ragdoll and almost kills him, but realizes what he was about to do. God, I miss that cartoon. The six arm episodes were pretty cool.

I like how they did it in Spectacular Spider-Man as well, even if it only continued the endless bashing of the Venom symbiote character.

I'd say that I like both Daredevil and Spider-Man 3, and they get far more flack than they deserve. Then again, I've liked pretty much every superhero movie that's come out since the first Raimi Spider-Man including Green Lantern, so take from that what you will.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here