Jimquisition: Children of the Resolution

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Children of the Resolution

Is 720p really as good as 1080p? Jimquisition argues that you can't fool the children of the resolution. Also, this whole controversy is really quite funny, when you consider the ironic bit.

Watch Video

And that last joke which was obviously about PC pretty much summarises how silly it is that people argue over 720p and 1080p on consoles. I, too just can't really summon the strength to care all that much about it.

Love the PC cutaways. It really is a silly argument when you bring PCs into the mix. As for the credit slides... Willem Dafoe's a lazy bastard.

Jim...

Will you have sex with me and my huge throbbing PC?

I'm just throwing it out there, you know, if you want a booty call at any time.

I'm ready.

Always ready.

Jim Sterling and his PC propaganda :P

Wait, people hate Adam Sessler? I thought he was all around liked by most.

As someone who spends half his gaming time on games that could have been made 7 or 8 years ago I have to say graphics are least important to me. That said I am definitely enjoying the pit the Xbox dug for itself if only because it means I don't feel quite as bad having to play games on my cheap little laptop. Sour grapes for the win.

GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE REPORT IN!

Let us overclock our graphics cards and re-bind the controls on our keyboards in a way that makes shooters barely playable while dismissing the ease and comfort of a gamepad in celebration of our innate superiority over the dirty console peasants!

Why did I just notice that Jim's use name on the Escapist is "Jimothy Sterling". I've been calling Jim "Jimothy" as a nickname for as long as I've been following him and I just now noticed that. Weird.

Now, what were we talking about again? Oh, yes, resolution...

Uhhmm... Nope, I got nothing.

*goes back to playing Minecraft and Shadow Warrior*

Weeee... gameplay!

As to minecraft being an example of gameplay over graphics, I tend to competitive games at lower resolutions as to lower the chance of strain on my machine. It doesn't matter how good a game looks if you lost because you skipped a frame.

Ponyholder:

He is loved ... until he says a thing about videogames, then he's hated for a week or two.

Kinda like most games critics, really.

Gaben bless the PC Master Race. I can only forgive and pray for the Console Peasants, for they know not what they do. I hope only that some day they will feel the warm Steam blow across their hearts and souls so that they, too, may be counted among the Cloud Saved. Amen.

Great show this week. These days I am mostly on my 3DS or my PC. If I do break out the Playstation, it is usually for the PSN Classics.

This whole 'controversy' is just absolutely silly. What I want is great gameplay and compelling storytelling -notwithstanding Minecraft and Civilization, where you create your own story- not this ridiculously narrow-minded argument.

If I had to guess, I would say it might also be due to the fact that some people are always looking to quantify the unquantifiable. That is, they are trying to prove that their subjective view of a game is better than someone else's subjective view of a game. This is why we tend towards pixel counts, frame-rates, or CPU bits back in the day.

Ponyholder:

Wait you didn't hear that he dared to post content on the XBox that was fair handed? Clearly he has become a sellout of the highest order. HIGHEST ORDER. Honestly I don't trust Microsoft as far as I can throw them but I've gotten past being mad at people who don't share my paranoia. Sessler is a solid journalist whom I sometimes disagree with but always respect.

Lovely as usual, Jim :-)

I'm pretty sure who argue that 720p is better than 1080p are the self-same individuals who claim that the human eye can only see at 24fps.

Cognitive dissonance much?

Meh. Maybe it's just me but...I never really gave a shit about graphics. What's the FPS? Is it 1080p or higher? I really don't care. Is the game good? Can I play it? Ok, let's go. Dark Souls is 30fps? When that makes the game less fun, I'll care........ok ok, Blighttown, I know.

Though I do kinda appreciate the irony of bloated budgets finally collapsing in on themselves.

josh4president:

Let us overclock our graphics cards and re-bind the controls on our keyboards in a way that makes shooters barely playable while dismissing the ease and comfort of a gamepad in celebration of our innate superiority over the dirty console peasants!

I'm sorry I can't talk right now, I'm too busy making out with my 9-button mouse, THE most optimal and comfortable tool for playing ANYTHING.

bringer of illumination:

josh4president:

First of all, you're literally fucking delusional if you think shooters play better with a gamepad.

Secondly, if I actually wanted to use a gamepad on my PC I CAN DO THAT, I have a fucking PS3 controller that I use to play emulated games with, if I wanted to use it for shooters I could.

But I don't since literally every single test has shown that people using Keyboard and mouse always wipe the floor with people using gamepads, even IF the gamepad users have aim-correction.

But it's okay, you can keep spreading your delusional console propaganda, we both know you're never gonna accept facts even when they're plainly and obviously available.

...dude. Calm down. He was joking. Good god.

madigan:
Why did I just notice that Jim's use name on the Escapist is "Jimothy Sterling". I've been calling Jim "Jimothy" as a nickname for as long as I've been following him and I just now noticed that. Weird.

Now, what were we talking about again? Oh, yes, resolution...

Uhhmm... Nope, I got nothing.

*goes back to playing Minecraft and Shadow Warrior*

Weeee... gameplay!

old or new shadow warrior?
because the new one is kinda pretty, dat gore.

i never cared much for consoles and didn't own a TV for the longest time so when my friend told me that 720p means 1280x720 i couldn't suppress the superiority laugh, 720p is a resolution i run on my backup/office PC.

Ben Waalkes:
As to minecraft being an example of gameplay over graphics, I tend to competitive games at lower resolutions as to lower the chance of strain on my machine. It doesn't matter how good a game looks if you lost because you skipped a frame.

also this, if i play something online and it drops under 60fps i will lower the settings, i don't see the pretty after the first 5 hours anyway.

bringer of illumination:

josh4president:

First of all, you're literally fucking delusional if you think shooters play better with a gamepad.

Secondly, if I actually wanted to use a gamepad on my PC I CAN DO THAT, I have a fucking PS3 controller that I use to play emulated games with, if I wanted to use it for shooters I could.

But I don't since literally every single test has shown that people using Keyboard and mouse always wipe the floor with people using gamepads, even IF the gamepad users have aim-correction.

But it's okay, you can keep spreading your delusional console propaganda, we both know you're never gonna accept facts even when they're plainly and obviously available.

You know, I can't help but feel that your retort to a rather simple comment was way more vicious than it needed to be. Seriously, was something like that really worth getting angry over?

The only time graphics matter to me is when there ugly(like final fantasy 7), so this controversy is rather laughably to me even if I wasn't (mostly) a pc gamer.

Also titanfall looks awesome.

josh4president:

REPORTING I--

Wait a minute.

re-bind the controls on our keyboards in a way that makes shooters barely playable

Why would we do that? They're already better than with a gamepad.

while dismissing the ease and comfort of a gamepad

Why would we do that? We can use a gamepad.

Oh, do you mean shooters?

With a gamepad?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, hold on, lemme catch my breath.

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Eh... huge correction. There will be games running at 1920 columns & 1080 of rows pixels on One and games running at 1280x720 on the PS4 (and the port to the One, because it _is_ empirically less powerful) ... it's up to the devs. In fact, there are games legitimately running at 1080p on PS3 & 360. Not upscaled: legit 1080p. It is how much work done per pixel that is limited by resolution choice.

can you imagine multiplatform releases and their reviews in a couple of years? When everyone starts saying "of course if you want the better looking console version, buy it for the PS4" as if its a no brainer. lol

O wells, did not want a Xbone anyways, just not a fan of the ridiculousness that is Microsoft right now.

josh4president:

You are clearly doing it wrong. The idea is you rebind the controls in a way that you find comfortable and easily accessible, which, what do you know, just about every PC gamer does. Also, what's this ease crap? How on earth am I supposed to aim when the sticks are horribly imprecise and the auto-aim, sorry, "aim-assist" keeps interfering while I try and line up a shot?

I absolutely agree... and we've had that conversation, Jim. I don't understand a bit about resolution or even exceptional 8:3:1:whatever audio perfection. I have no frame of reference for that concern. I dug Minecraft, I like flash games on websites, and even when I played some Battlefield 3, I can't say that the resolution left me feeling like there was anywhere it could go that would make me like the game /better/.

I'm a Content Guy. If the graphics or sound or camera-work or color or whatever SERVE the game's content to an emotionally and personally interesting and engaging level? Then they matter. If they simply make something look nicer, then they're hugely secondary to the content intended to make the connection and enjoyment. If they have no real bearing (one can little discern the graphic upgrade in the middle of the action when paying attention to other elements of play), then they are arbitrary.

Zacharious-khan:
steam box that is all

Or, you know, you could just go with a real PC and probably get something better for the same price, as the Steam Machine is almost certainly going to be a form of boutique computer.

The Steam Machine offers literally nothing you can't do on a regular PC.

Loki_The_Good:
As someone who spends half his gaming time on games that could have been made 7 or 8 years ago I have to say graphics are least important to me. That said I am definitely enjoying the pit the Xbox dug for itself if only because it means I don't feel quite as bad having to play games on my cheap little laptop. Sour grapes for the win.

And honestly, isn't that they best part? Microsoft's been pushing teh graffix like it's the end-all and now can't perform with the big boys. I don't care much about graphics (long as I can reasonably make out what I'm looking at, I'm good), but when you're touting your awesome next gen system and it can't do something the PS3 could, I point and laugh.

Then again, with all the features stripped, that could apply much more broadly.

This does concern me about gaming for the next gen, though. Games will likely be stripped down to accommodate the Xbone's processing issues. That seems to be the more sinister element here: we're already seeing the kind of technical issues that limited us to linear brown corridors for much of last gen. Will devs leave the Xbone in the dust? Well, I honestly would hope so, but I doubt it.

And while people can talk about the PC gaming master race, they will be bawling like children when they find their favourite game is "dumbed down" by the console market. So it's probably foolish for them to laugh.

josh4president:

Come now. There is absolutely no benefit to a controller. EVER.

Ben Waalkes:

I don't think that really changes the point, though.

I've been playing recently:
League
World of Tanks
Pokemon
TF2

Graphics. Wooh. Look at all the care I have.

QUINTIX:
Eh... huge correction. There will be games running at 1920 columns & 1080 rows pixels on One and games running at 1280x720 on the PS4 (and the port to the One, because it _is_ empirically less powerful) ... it's up to the devs. In fact, there are games legitimately running at 1080p on PS3 & 360. Not upscaled: legit 1080p. It is how much work done per pixel that is limited by resolution choice.

Fair point but I think its only a "huge" correction if you missed the main thrust of the point that the video was trying to make. (that the triple A gaming industry is suffering from self inflicted wounds and hopefully this will make them slow down on push graphics for graphics sake at the cost of everything else)

Techno Squidgy:

josh4president:

You are clearly doing it wrong. The idea is you rebind the controls in a way that you find comfortable and easily accessible, which, what do you know, just about every PC gamer does. Also, what's this ease crap? How on earth am I supposed to aim when the sticks are horribly imprecise and the auto-aim, sorry, "aim-assist" keeps interfering while I try and line up a shot?

Shooters on consoles....HAHAHAHAHAHAH. *wipes tear*

I really dont understand how anyone who has had a mouse in their hands can play shooters on consoles. Is titanfall console exclusive? The new Halo? In that case I'd rather watch a movie.

I really enjoyed the humor in this one, though I still don't get the concept of what seems to be random pictures of kids and adults in costumes.

bringer of illumination:

josh4president:

he said "ease and comfort" not superiority, and in that regard, he is absolutely right. i own many PC games, but for action games i break out my Xbox 360 Elite rechargeable game pad. for FPS i use a mouse and key board for FPS games due to having better accuracy.

Heh...you know I was about to comment on the people who are arguing about framerate and graphics in the industry, but...

CAPTCHA: ding a ling

...it would appear the Captcha very accurately described what I think of the guys in the industry that are doing so. Bravo, Captcha!

Rather excellently put throughout, Jim...especially when you threw in the PC comparisons! In fact, may I say that was a...Sterling effort? *runs like hell before DVS BSTrD kills me for stealing his schtick*

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here