The Big Picture: Who Was That in Thor 2?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Who Was That in Thor 2?

MovieBob gives us a spoiler filled look into Thor: The Dark World.

Watch Video

I was just thinking how much I wanted Bob to do another Comics Are Weird episode. This one made me laugh because I remember when I saw the Collector scene with my friends in theatres, I was apparently smiling and giggling like a schoolgirl and then when it was over I just saw six eyes on me going "Okay, now you have to explain who that was."

I never caught that Infinity Gauntlet in Thor until now. I'll have to go and double check on that one. Speaking of that Gauntlet, wasn't there a Danny Phantom movie that basically had that exact plot (The Reality Gauntlet I think is what they were calling it)

I'm still super excited for the Netflix series stuff, but after Agents of SHIELD I don't have my hopes as high as I would like them to be. I mean Agents of SHIELD is okay, I just don't really care about any of these characters outside of Coulson, and May is kinda growing on me.

No matter what though, I'm pretty psyched about all this Marvel stuff going on right now. Winter Soldier, more Agents of SHIELD, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers 2, Netflix stuff, Ant-Man, and that's just what's been announced. I'm certainly gonna be having fun over the next few years

As soon as that mid credits tease happened every single one of my friends I was with turned to me and asked me to explain what the fuck they just saw. I was able to explain the stones but had to look up The Collector while the actual credits were rolling. I have to give Marvel credit; they must have a solid plan if they're teasing Avengers 3 already.

I haven't seen the collector in years! :D

I Haven't seen Thor2 yet but i don't mind spoilers, Marvel is doing an excellent job weaving all this together.

I might end up seeing thor 2 with my dad and he dislikes sitting through the credits, so this video is quite handy.

Strain42:
I'm still super excited for the Netflix series stuff, but after Agents of SHIELD I don't have my hopes as high as I would like them to be. I mean Agents of SHIELD is okay, I just don't really care about any of these characters outside of Coulson, and May is kinda growing on me.

I'm a bit more excited about the Netflix series, because they won't have the limitations of network TV like AoS does. Netflix has no involvement other than paying Disney money and having exclusive distribution rights for some set time. There's no network execs breathing down their necks about ratings and advertising dollars.

That also means Disney/Marvel can effectively make four 13-part movies that can cross over with each other as much as they want. Because if you're a Netflix subscriber, you don't have to worry about when shows air or about PVRing a whole bunch of stuff. It will all be on Netflix immediately. You can watch it all anytime you want, in the way you want. You can watch all of Daredevil's series first, then Jessica Jones', then Power Man's, etc. Or you can watch all four Episode 1s first, then all the Episode 2s, etc.

MovieBob:
Who Was That in Thor 2?

Watch Video

Would the Soul Gem not be the perfect thing to introduce Doctor Strange in The Avengers 3? If they do make a Strange movie in Phase 3 and before The Avengers 3 (and I really hope they do), then they could make the Eye of Agamotto the soul gem and use that as a device to have Doc Strange team up with the other Avengers.

WARNING! SPOILERS IN THIS POST! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE YET TO SEE THOR: THE DARK WORLD IN THEATERS!

As soon as I saw the mid-credit stinger in Thor: The Dark World, I immediately thought to myself "Yeah, Bob is gonna have to talk about this in detail on The Big Picture come Tuesday". Seeing Benicio Del Toro as the Collector was wild and finding out that the Aether and the Tesseract were two Infinity Gems, I began geeking out. While we may not be getting a lot of Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy (its rumored he'll be more of a behind the scenes player), I'm getting the feeling that Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet will be the major payoff in Avengers 3 if not possibly the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. I'm just speculating about this but when you're dealing with a storyline that has a madman wiping out nearly every living creature in the 616 Marvel Universe with one of the most powerful macguffin it has to offer, you definitely want to save that for last.

Also, now that Netflix is collaborating with Marvel/Disney for the Daredevil/Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Jessica Jones aka Jewel series leading up to Defenders (not sure why they didn't go with Heroes for Hire but that's just me), the next few years of my life is going to be very interesting. ^^;

Falseprophet:

Strain42:

I'm a bit more excited about the Netflix series, because they won't have the limitations of network TV like AoS does. Netflix has no involvement other than paying Disney money and having exclusive distribution rights for some set time. There's no network execs breathing down their necks about ratings and advertising dollars.

That also means Disney/Marvel can effectively make four 13-part movies that can cross over with each other as much as they want. Because if you're a Netflix subscriber, you don't have to worry about when shows air or about PVRing a whole bunch of stuff. It will all be on Netflix immediately. You can watch it all anytime you want, in the way you want. You can watch all of Daredevil's series first, then Jessica Jones', then Power Man's, etc. Or you can watch all four Episode 1s first, then all the Episode 2s, etc.

True. I mean I'm still really excited. I just feel like I should be more excited. But that's my deal, not the series.

That is a true point though with Netflix. I dunno how I plan on watching them. Supposedly all four series are also building up to The Defenders, which will be awesome.

Do we know yet how they're releasing them? Like are they actually doing all four series at once, or are they releasing like one series a month or something? From a business perspective on Netflix's part it seems like it would be smarter to stretch them out some. If they're released all at once, I imagine you'd have a lot of people just joining for one month (or heck, doesn't Netflix do a lot of "Get one month free" deals?) just to watch those and then cancelling the service.

I love my Netflix account, but part of me kinda hopes they do release them over time, then I don't have to wonder what order I want to watch them in xD lol

Is there a cheap or possibly free way to read up on the Marvel lore?

chibby:

What I do is just go to wikipedia on movie stuff and read up. It's actually a very easy way to get into it, and you can learn a lot. The other way is to go around comic fan sites and learn about various things. Good luck.

chibby:

Marvel Wikia

http://marvel.wikia.com/Main_Page

If there's a character or storyline you're interested in, just look them up. You get to some character or other story that intrigues you in the article? Click that link and you're good to go.

Like if I wanna re-check the details of the Dark Reign storyline, I'm good to go.

chibby:

I think there's a few "History of the Marvel U" books from last year and Marvel Saga, i think they affordable and collected now.

I knew about the Infinity Gauntlet, but thanks for explaining who that guy was. And yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy IS going to be freaking nuts... So much so, I'm actually worried if Marvel can "pull it off" per se.

The 'Farscape' vibe I got from that scene made me even more excited about 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and I already love the Marvel cosmic characters.

Yep, thats a pretty accurate description of Thanos.
I wonder if in the end he will

I'm just extremely confused about how and why Baldr, Hermod, and Tyr have been completely absent to the point of not even having been mentioned once. Especially when you remember that in the marvel universe Figga is actually their biological mother. (I say marvel specifically because in some accounts of Norse mythos Tyr is older than Odin...) Thor's actual mother being Gaea under the name Jord... and Loki is adopted.

Baldr apparently had a cameo in the first Thor that was cut and replaced with Sif and Volstagg; the only thing in the movies that could explain his absence is if the do the Marvel Ultimate mini story with Balder being on earth as Dr Donald Blake, Jane's ex... because everyone likes love triangles /sarcasm.

chibby:

http://marvel.wikia.com just try not to wander to far from what your hoping to learn or you'll never come back.

I remember when I saw the stinger. I smiled like a giddy child and said to myself: 'I have no idea what the fuck this is, but it's incredible.' Honestly, I was just really happy to see Benicio del Toro because he's such a good actor, and if his performance and scene are anything to go on, 'Guardian's of the Galaxy' is going to be the best damn thing since sliced bread. As in, I might actually think it's better than 'Spiderman 2,' and I thought that was next to impossible.

MovieBob:
Who Was That in Thor 2?

Watch Video

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

THANOS IS IN LOVE WITH DEATH?!

What the hell does that mean for our old pal Wade? Does this mean we might get a GOOD Deadpool movie? Or hell, a GOOD DEADPOOL CAMEO?!

Ponyholder:

MovieBob:
Who Was That in Thor 2?

Watch Video

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

What the hell does that mean for our old pal Wade? Does this mean we might get a GOOD Deadpool movie? Or hell, a GOOD DEADPOOL CAMEO?!

I doubt it. Doesn't Fox still own the movie rights to X-Men, as well as the concept of Marvel mutants?

marioandsonic:

Ponyholder:

MovieBob:
Who Was That in Thor 2?

Watch Video

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

I doubt it. Doesn't Fox still own the movie rights to X-Men, as well as the concept of Marvel mutants?

They do? FUCK! Man, I would have LOVED to see Deadpool argue against Iron Man.

Ponyholder:

marioandsonic:

Ponyholder:

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

RDJ and Ryan Reynolds in the same movie. The sheer level of Snarkiness would spill from the movie screen. That would be awesome.

Comics Are Weird! Really needs to be a regular show on here I think. Anyway, looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm still hung up on the scepter - my friend and I (and presumably everyone else) have been assuming that it was the Mind gem by itself, but Collector says "1 down, 5 to go." The Aether is almost certainly Power, but is the Tesseract an individual stone separate from the scepter or did it create the scepter? If the former, would that make the Tessearct the purple "Space" stone since it can open portals? If so, why can it also kill people like in Cap. America, unless no one actually died but were just teleported somewhere? And if all THAT is true, does that mean we're technically halfway through the "hunt?" And if Thanos really needs the stones/gems, did he really trust Loki to beat the Avengers and not lose the scepter?

Also, from a quick search on wikipedia - a list of the other stone owners that might end up on film:

-Yellow (reality): Nebula, Guardians of the Galaxy (played by Karen "shaved head Amy Pond" Gillan)

-Green (soul): Dr. Strange (they're making it sound like he's close to getting a movie in "season" 3)

-Orange (time): Gamora, Guardians (Zoe Saldana)

Marvel, do not screw this...oh what am I saying, you know what you're doing!

Thanks for the explanation! I vaguely knew who the Collector and Elders of the Universe were but I've never read anything with them. I read comics on occasion, more so lately because I've given up on stores and just buy online but I'm not a devoted fan so I don't know much about the histories of a lot the characters or the industry. It interesting to know. I just pick up arcs that look interesting and don't seem too reliant on other stories I've not read and Wiki anything I don't understand (which is how too unwittingly lose a whole day, like tv tropes).

Woah. The Collector totally looks like...

And I really don't know if that would be weirder.

Its way more fun to have a comic book encyclopedia tell me about all this crap then reading all of it.

I really enjoy getting explanations to stuff that I don't really know but understand is somehow important in the Marvell movies... And getting much of the back-story to all comics I don't have time to read or really want to read...

I was also really wondering who that funny looking somehow important dude was... :-) So thanks MovieBob!

Makabriel:

Ponyholder:

marioandsonic:

RDJ and Ryan Reynolds in the same movie. The sheer level of Snarkiness would spill from the movie screen. That would be awesome.

Seconding that. I'd pay good money AND treat all my mates to see that!

I have to admit though...Death is female?!? I'd make a Lady Death reference here, but that'd be too obvious. Instead, I have to ponder something else and look in the directions of Aurora from the Sonic comics and the Valkyrie from Norse mythology. (And the Thor movies, if they'd bother to make an appearance in those.)

Falseprophet:

Strain42:

I agree on the Netflix series, and think that because of that they might even be able to delve a bit into the darker themes of the Marvel Knights. Since this is all in one, much larger continuity it can't get too dark, but I am excited nonetheless. IMO I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. Can't wait!

The first thing I did after I came home from the movie was power on the computer and go to google to type in "The Collector Marvel" and start reading :P
I do hope thou that they keep the Movies away from the series and don't start entangling them toghether, would be too much to follow :/

Yeah as soon as that stinger came up on the big screen I was left having to describe what the stones were and their importance to my Dad. By the way, stay right through the credits guys. It just irks me to see that people still get up and go at the end of a Marvel movie nowadays. Its not much, but at least you'll be given a proper introduction to Snowflake!

Sigh. I wish someone could make a good DC movie. Funny enough, my dad still understands a quarter of this stuff from when he read Marvel back in the day.

Hutzpah Chicken:
Sigh. I wish someone could make a good DC movie. Funny enough, my dad still understands a quarter of this stuff from when he read Marvel back in the day.

...Your Dad is awesome and could probably beat up my Dad.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here