Killzone: Shadow Fall Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Killzone: Shadow Fall Review

A strong shooter for dedicated Killzone fans

Read Full Article

You had me hooked as soon as you said the Helghast were more sympathetic. It's about time the narrative actually adressed the fact that they really got the short end of the stick. The ISA, especially Rico (FUCK YOU RICO) were a bunch of pricks who should have been tried as war criminals by the end of Killzone 3. I thought it was ridiculous that Narville was seen as 'antagonistic.' It's good to see the tables turned a bit. I'll probably pick this up when I get my PS4.

I was kinda hoping to get this at some point, but if the story is really that hard to understand for newcomers then sadly I'm gonna have to pass on this one.

This sounds great, but I don't know... American Helghast? Ugh. That's just... ugh. Not a dealbreaker but... ugh. Was the same with Payday 2. Just makes me sad, is all.

Will still get it when I get a PS4. Really like the Killzone series.

Kill Zone seems to be the only launch title worthy of actual attention, unless I missed something. Sony is starting slow... again -.-

I was hoping that the switch from 360 to PS4 would give me a chance to get into series like Killzone, but without backwards compatibility I doubt I'll ever be able to play the old games, at least not for a while. Thus, it seems this title has lost me as a potential customer.

trty00:
You had me hooked as soon as you said the Helghast were more sympathetic. It's about time the narrative actually adressed the fact that they really got the short end of the stick. The ISA, especially Rico (FUCK YOU RICO) were a bunch of pricks who should have been tried as war criminals by the end of Killzone 3. I thought it was ridiculous that Narville was seen as 'antagonistic.' It's good to see the tables turned a bit. I'll probably pick this up when I get my PS4.

I agree, the Helghast were completely screwed over, and the ISA act like the attack had no reason other then evil to it. Admittedly I haven't played 3 yet, but it still comes across that way to me.

Irridium:
This sounds great, but I don't know... American Helghast? Ugh. That's just... ugh. Not a dealbreaker but... ugh. Was the same with Payday 2. Just makes me sad, is all.

Will still get it when I get a PS4. Really like the Killzone series.

Not all of the Helghast are Americanized. I heard a number of angry scottish Higs in the trailers.

chozo_hybrid:

trty00:

I agree, the Helghast were completely screwed over, and the ISA act like the attack had no reason other then evil to it. Admittedly I haven't played 3 yet, but it still comes across that way to me.

Well, Rico's not court-martialed even after his tremendously stupid decision to kill Visari at the end of 2, and they also literally glass Helghan with the only response being: 'well... that's shitty I guess.' The only sensible ISA operative in 3 is Captain Narville and he's treated like some kind of stuffy bureaucrat.

so i will be getting this with my ps3 in late 2015 or something.
personally i am still waiting for the game where you play as a faction of the Helghast that goes "fuck the old tyrannical regime, fuck the USN, we are making our own colony. with blackjack. and hookers"

trty00:

chozo_hybrid:

trty00:

Well, Rico's not court-martialed even after his tremendously stupid decision to kill Visari at the end of 2, and they also literally glass Helghan with the only response being: 'well... that's shitty I guess.' The only sensible ISA operative in 3 is Captain Narville and he's treated like some kind of stuffy bureaucrat.

That's just... I don't even have words to describe it...

Still, I'm keen to play this one since it seems to be a bit more in depth on this sort of thing perhaps. That and I've always loved the Killzone games.

teebeeohh:
so i will be getting this with my ps3 in late 2015 or something.
personally i am still waiting for the game where you play as a faction of the Helghast that goes "fuck the old tyrannical regime, fuck the USN, we are making our own colony. with blackjack. and hookers"

That would be awesome. It would be really interesting to see them deal with racism and other general bigotry from both sides as they try to eke out a relatively peaceful existence.

james.sponge:
Kill Zone seems to be the only launch title worthy of actual attention, unless I missed something. Sony is starting slow... again -.-

Resogun is getting high marks across the board. It's a small indie title, but between that and Contrast and given that they're both FREE on PS+, you may not have to buy a physical game at all to start enjoying yourself.

Jimothy Sterling:
and full of useless spaces that lead to nowhere interesting.

You mean like Goldeneye? I always loved how the levels were designed first before the actual missions were made. It always made the game feel so much more real rather than having every single thing feeling inexplicably important or being claustrophobicly linear.

P.S. The fuck is this shit? Not only did I not copy and paste that but it feels as if someone is putting words in my mouth.

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10744-Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Review#2sx0p1PTymRalt4R.99

Jim why would you set the bar this high for reviews. Now I have to turn in good written things to you.

Jerk.

OT: This actually made me interested in giving Killzone a shot. I've never heard an FPS' Multiplayer described as "methodical" before, and I am intrigued.

Lovely review, Jim-you've become a prolific writer. Very excited to play Shadow Fall now.

(Noticed a typo on "productionn," by the way.)

This game may be worth getting, well after the console is out for a little longer, a community is established and more games are out.

It is sad that the british actors are gone; seeing Malcolm McDowell doing his usual glorius bastard act with Stahl was a sight to behold and Brian Cox as Vassari was hammy fun. Regardless, the new cold war type setting is interesting, weapon customization looks great and the classes seem to have nice perks

One page format is a small, but welcome, improvement to reviews.

Hopefully some better games will be out by Christmas. That's when I'm getting the system. I've never been interested in Killzone and the other launch titles just don't seem that great save for Black Flag (I'm not a big fan of Battlefield or CoD).

No Rico? Thank goodness. Might pick this up, when I eventually get a PS4. However, I'm not going to get a PS4 just for this game.

That was a very well-written review. Much higher standard than I am used to seeing on The Escapist. I'm glad you're making this your home now, Jim.

Yay Jim reviewed the new Killzone. Sad at dtoid not having Jim there for the review. I finally made an escapist account so I can comment on Jim articles now ha. This game sounds like more good killzone fun with slight changes. I'm up for that once I finally get a PS4 a couple years from now. Ew though, really am not looking forward to hearing helghast with american voices.

Holy crap, a whole review on a single page? I love you, Mr. Sterling!

lazyhoboguy:
Yay Jim reviewed the new Killzone. Sad at dtoid not having Jim there for the review. I finally made an escapist account so I can comment on Jim articles now ha. This game sounds like more good killzone fun with slight changes. I'm up for that once I finally get a PS4 a couple years from now. Ew though, really am not looking forward to hearing helghast with american voices.

Welcome to the Escapist! :)

OT: I never got around to picking up Killzone 3 and I still don't know if it's worth it or not. But I did enjoy the look and feel of the previous Killzone games. Good to see Guerilla having a decent kick-off. Might pick this up when I eventually get a PS4.

Also: good review, Jim. Nice to have you here.

May need to borrow my roommates playstation and get caught up on Killzone. Loved 1 and 2 back when they came out, but have switched to PC years ago and the price of new systems has kept me from picking up a console just to have access to non-pc games. *sigh* What I wouldn't give for some of these Sony exclusives to be ported to PC.

Love ya Jim, I've always watched your show and am glad you're doing reviews on here now.

Woo, Jim has arrived! Always enjoyed reading your reviews. Glad to have you at the Escapist.

You know, after this review, I might just buy the PS4 coupled with this game.

Next year.

On a sale.

This comes with my bundle, for free, so I guess I can't complain really. I really like the KZ series, and I am quite interested in playing it with this "new angle" on the universe.

Oh, and yeah, jumping on the bandwagon here but....fuck Rico!

A quick question; Does this iteration of Killzone have the same type of control scheme that makes you feel like you are fighting the controller or that it's non-intuitive? This reason is why I could just never get into the Killzone series. I realize button remapping happened for KZ3 to offset some of it, but still why would a dev have the default button to fire your weapon on R1?

That said, I've always found the Killzone's art and art direction to be interesting and quite pleasant. However, the games control layout and scheme has pretty much always been jarring and pulled me right out of the game with the above mentioned feeling of fighting the controller.

I'll never quite understand why, exactly, Killzone is not considered worthy of the same attention enjoyed by the likes of Halo, Call of Duty, or even FarCry.

My thoughts exactly. Once you get past the "realism" angle of CoD nothing's stopping KillZone from being as decent a shooter as Halo can be.

james.sponge:

I thought AssCreed4 looked good?

Johnny Novgorod:

I'll never quite understand why, exactly, Killzone is not considered worthy of the same attention enjoyed by the likes of Halo, Call of Duty, or even FarCry.

My thoughts exactly. Once you get past the "realism" angle of CoD nothing's stopping KillZone from being as decent a shooter as Halo can be.

james.sponge:

I thought AssCreed4 looked good?

I agree, but some of us will get it on PC when it comes out. I wanted to see more exclusive games, sony always had a problem with strong launch titles (psx, ps2 and ps3 are no exception). You'd think they learn anything from their past -.-

As for KillZone remember that the first game, although good, wasn't nearly as popular as Halo at the time, sony wanted to create Halo alternative and they kinda failed. So even though each subsequent KZ game was much better old impressions remained. And that old scam with KZ CGI trailer certainly didn't help to improve that:P.

I've never been interested in Kill Zone before and I only thought about getting this game for the ps4 for some good old fashioned scifi, fps, eye candy. But I think I'll give 2 and 3 a try first now that I know the series has a campaign worth caring about

I certainly remember when Killzone was the next big thing in shooters. I tried it out, and I couldn't shake the feeling that my character had his feet trapped in a children's pool of peanut butter. Glob glob glob glob shoot the helghast. billed as a "halo killer" at the time, it certainly wasn't. I am not surprised that it ends up being functional yet not particularly memorable.

Hey remember Indigo Dingo? Thats a guy that LOVED some Killzone 3.

Hmm, looks like a solid game. Unfortunately, as I don't care for MP, an 8 hour campaign is not enough to justify $60.

I'll admit I'm a little more interested in the series after hearing they had updated the setting. Since we're no longer in "Attack of the British Space Nazis", and now in the "Cold War parable" phase of things. If they actually made the Helghast act less like red eyed demons then that's a very positive and surprising step.

I'm still having trouble finding any footage of your character fighting non space Nazis though...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here