No Right Answer: Best Launch Title Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Launch Title Ever

With the impending release of the Xbone and PS4 we give you the debate you all have been waiting for, what is the best launch title ever.

Watch Video

Wii sports was a brill' little game. Loved the Yahtzee cameo, very informative contribution :p

Best use of a Yahtzee cameo ever.

I believe that result is the equivalent of Glass Jaw Joe knocking out Mike Tyson. :)

bdcjacko:
Best use of a Yahtzee cameo ever.

agreed, there shall be none better than this

I like how they have the fatass SMT IV special addition box crammed in next to the other 3DS games on the shelf.

OT: As much as I don't really care for Wii Sports... I'd have to agree. It moved A LOT of consoles.

I'd like to argue for Halo, but I just can't be bothered. Fun episode you guys. :)

I'm gonna have to go with the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo pack for the NES. That one cartridge was largely responsible for turning Nintendo into the multinational corporate behemoth we know and love today.

(I'm gonna get that smug bastard dog one of these days...)

It was the enthusiastic positive "Alright Great!" response that made the cameo work so well.

I have to agree with Wii Sports on this one. It had the most influential impact on the market and was a legitimately fun game to boot. I wouldn't say it 'stands the test of time' all that well. I'd have WAY more fun going back to play Super Mario Bros, Mario 64, etc than I would Wii Sports.

Is anyone going to look back fondly on Wii Sports? Having trouble wrapping my head around it winning. I also feel like Soul Calibur for Dreamcast should get special mention for being a really good launch game.

Wii Sports was a good choice, but I'm surprised by no mention of Tetris (Gameboy). Without that game, I suspect handhelds would never have caught on like they did. And, by extension, mobile gaming would have been years behind where it is now.

The best launch title ever surely has to be Super Mario Bros. for the NES.
That game taught people who never played a video game in their life all its essential moves literally on the first screen, and was a great game to boot.

Kyle: "Yahtzee, do you have something to say about this episode?"
Yahtzee: "No."

Glad to have your input Yahtzee. Always a pleasure.

I was honestly expecting Yahtzee to have a bigger part in this episode, even making it a 3 way debate.

erbkaiser:
The best launch title ever surely has to be Super Mario Bros. for the NES.
That game taught people who never played a video game in their life all its essential moves literally on the first screen, and was a great game to boot.

Amen, brother. That game was most likely the first game any of us have played.

Mario 64 was like an event for me, not just a "must buy", it was a "must NEED" game, I mean, I certainly DID bought an N64 just because of this game alone, seriously, without them pink nostalgia googles, gameplay wise it still holds up pretty well today, heck, freaking Psychonauts can't hold a candle to Super Mario 64!*

Wii Sports was a fantastic title too, but it certainly was a nice little diversion and one of the funniest party games I've ever played (Mario Party 2 is still the best), but I didn't bought a Wii just because of Wii Sports. It's a shame Mario Galaxy wasn't a launch title, because I'd certainly would've bought the Wii just for that title alone and it's the only game (along with Mario Galaxy 2) that I consider "better" than Mario 64.

*Come at me bro

I had an N64 growing up...

I never did get Mario 64, though.

I got an N64 just for Goldeneye, it was a few years after that that i even played Mario 64. I'm not sure how instrumental Wii Sports actually was in shifting consoles (a lot of people I know who aren't into video games but bought a wii did so for wii fit) but it fair to say that by virtue of being bundled with every console it was far more ubiquitous that SM64.

Arslan Aladeen:
Is anyone going to look back fondly on Wii Sports? Having trouble wrapping my head around it winning.

It is probably the strangest conclusion I've seen them come to in a while. In 17 years no one is going to look back as fondly at Wii Sports as they do Mario 64. In 17 years, nothing substantive is going to play like Wii Sports anymore because motion controls will have either died or evolved in some way that makes sure they don't suck. Meanwhile, Mario 64 set the standard for the 3D platformer. It's the template that people still build off of to this day in that genre. I doubt we'll ever be saying that about Wii Sports, particularly since the motion controls didn't even work that well in it. And saying that Wii Sports changed the face of gaming by making multiplayer integral to every series being released? No. Didn't happen that way. Anyone who thinks that multiplayer is important in games now because of a simple party game on the Wii that appealed to a completely different market for completely different reasons than games like Halo and Modern Warfare which actually caused online multiplayer on consoles to literally explode onto the scene is delusional. It didn't happen that way at all.

At best, Wii Sports is a poorly made tech demo for the Wii motion controls which stays fun for about a grand total of 20 minutes before you put it down and never touch it again. An hour, maybe, if you play it with friends. And it's had no real lasting impact on the medium since the people who bought Wii's for it have already moved on and never made anyone but Nintendo money anyway. And even Nintendo has basically abandoned the motion controls it supposedly pioneered because they're a controller dead end.

I also feel like Soul Calibur for Dreamcast should get special mention for being a really good launch game.

Honestly, most of the Dreamcast launch lineup could easily be placed on the same level as Mario 64 in terms of how much fun they were. Easily the best launch lineup in history. Absolutely no other console came close, and I don't know if any will again.

Yahtzee's insight was truly profound, I must ponder his word of wisdom and discern its deeper meaning ....

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I'm pretty sure the Gamecube launched with Super Smash Bros. Melee, so I'm just going to have to pick that as my favorite launch title.

Actually, I have to say that the Gamecube had my favorite launch lineup overall. Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and SSBM were all fantastic titles.

I'mma have to jump on the Halo bandwagon for this one. It moved consoles, changed the face of console gaming, it was re-released for the 360 and people bought it again.

However of the two choices... I didn't get a N64 or a Wii, so by proxy I didn't get Mario 64 or Wii Sports. All I can say is that I have played Mario 64 once back in the day and was not impressed. I disliked the controller more than anything. I have played Wii Sports on multiple occasions. Mostly drunk at parties, but I have played it more. Wii Sports is the winner to me.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I'm pretty sure the Gamecube launched with Super Smash Bros. Melee, so I'm just going to have to pick that as my favorite launch title.

Actually, I have to say that the Gamecube had my favorite launch lineup overall. Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and SSBM were all fantastic titles.

Super Smash Bros Melee was sadly not a launch title. It was close (only a few months), but it didn't launch with the console. Even stranger, Pikmin didn't come out until the day after the GameCube launched, technically not making it a launch title either. What a weird world we live in.

Song brought out the Playstation move, years before Nintendo did the wii.

The winner of this depends on what the competition is about. If we're talking about a system seller, then it's Wii Sports without a doubt. Wii Sports was a game that people were willing to buy a Wii for, well over MSRP, just to play. It hit the casual market in a way that gaming has never seen before. The audience ranged from tiny children to old retired folks. It's a game that anyone could play and perfectly showed off what the Wii was best at. It wasn't very fleshed out or, frankly, all that good except as a 'party game.' But when it came to that, there wasn't anything really better. Frankly, Wii Sports was an amazing game with how much of an impact it had. Maybe not to those of us who are 'hardcore.' But to Nintendo's sales and the casual market, it was a smash hit. Hell, if I'm not mistaken, it's overtaken Super Mario Bros as the highest selling game of all time.

If we're talking about overall impact, I'd say that honor goes to Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. It's pretty clearly the game that has had the biggest total impact on the gaming industry. Though that might not count due to the fact it wasn't a release game for the original system in Japan, even though it was one for the US.

Personally, if it comes down to which we enjoy more, I'd give it to Luigi's Mansion, assuming that was a launch title. I loved Mario 64, and I loved Halo, and etc. But the Mansion will always hold a special spot in my heart.

For me, THIS generation it was the Nintendo 3DS XL, which launched with several RPGs.

Kind of misleading, maybe?

I thought this was gonna hit more than the n64 and the wii.

Halo pretty much saved XBOX, compelling sales for the entire first year of its launch.

Can't remember, was FFX a launch title?

Would have to agree with Wii Sports from a marketing standpoint, though I cared little for the game. It depends on what criteria you are using: quality as a game, appeal to hardcore/casuals, or impact on the platform.

Vivi22:

Honestly, most of the Dreamcast launch lineup could easily be placed on the same level as Mario 64 in terms of how much fun they were. Easily the best launch lineup in history. Absolutely no other console came close, and I don't know if any will again.

Most people will never know how awesome the Dreamcast was for the short time it was around. Sega just doesn't seem the same since then to me.

Hey guys, ever heard of tetris?

Defintely have to agree on Wii Sports. Mostly because...THIS was the game that got my NON-GAME-PLAYING PARENTS to want to try and play games. No joke! When you can create a game that even NON-gamers want to play, that says something.

(Nowadays...my mom is addicted to Candy Crush and wants/needs to get back into the Brain Age titles I bought for so her mind doesn't atrophy.)

As a Bruins fan I cannot condone Kyle's Canuck's jersey.

The best kins launch is the kind that leaves a lasting mark, not just on a single franchise or system, on the industry as a whole... For that I say Wii sports (Wii in general).

When the hell did Angry Man appear? People keep talking about him but I never saw him

If it turns out that Wii Sports isn't the best selling game of this console generation I'll genuinely be shocked. I agree that it's the Best Nintendo Launch Title Ever, I think Wii Sports and Halo: CE will probably have a bloody fight to the death on Best Launch Title Ever. One sold millions of a console, the other saved the console.

Also brilliant input from Yahtzee, I could tell that he was clearly in the building too.

Another vote for Halo here. Probably the only justification for having owned the original Xbox.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here