PS4 Impressions

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

LOLPS4

Love the catch 22 of console launches.

Absolutely fuck all games worth playing, but people have to buy the console for more games to get made.

Awesome! can't wait for the XBOX 1 impressions

lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?

Very true, for a related example, I'm quite a dedicated Nintendo fan and even I haven't bought a WiiU yet, since I haven't seen any WiiU games advertised that I might actually want.

Also, nice name change Grey, almost missed that.

Yep, that sounds about right. One mistake that Sony hasn't fixed when it comes to the Playstation.

Metalrocks:
lol, wanst it the same thing with the ps3 that hardly any games were out for it?

Totally was, was even a meme at one point.

On-topic, I'd think Sony would want to implement some back compatibility to the system, if there isn't a lot worth playing exclusive to the system right now.

If someone is going to pay 400 dollars for a console, they'd like something to do with it right away. Otherwise, it's sorta like games with game of the years editions: Sure, you could just get the base game sooner, but if you wait, you might get a better deal

Yeah that seems about right. I do remember a time when consoles were released with great launch titles, but those times are long gone.

Hey, she grew her leg back! And lost an arm. Does the lost panel 5 show her slapping the kid round the head?

TechTim:

I have a feeling it'll be really un-PC[1].

[1] As in Politically Correct, but the 'other' PC might work too. D'ohohoh!

Next up, we see panel 4 with the word NOPE! written become a meme.

canadamus_prime:
Yeah that seems about right. I do remember a time when consoles were released with great launch titles, but those times are long gone.

I remember those days too. Good days

Don't worry guys maybe its a trend. Every console in this new generation starts like an useless plastic brick best generation of all-time!!

oooooooo The console wars are heating up! Not really, but year. :P

Really is pretty funny how the PS4 was allowed to simply coast on the tsunami of good-will that flooded Sony due to how absolutely atrocious the XBone was when it was first announced. Sony really didn't have to do anything except sit back and bask in the good press of "Hey, we're not Xbox! We're the other guys!" while the internet tore the XBone to shreds over all it's anti-consumer BS. And now it turns out the PS4 wasn't anything to write home about either and is having a slew of various problems and everyone starts remembering why the 360 won the last console war. Now that the XBone has morphed into the Xbox 180, pulling back every feature that it was damned for, the only thing that really makes the PS4 more appealing is that it's $100 less.

Metalrocks:

But at least the PS3 allowed you backwards compatibility on most PS2 games (Soul Calibur 3 not included, which annoyed me and my friends greatly). The PS3 only dropped backwards compatibility when the slim version was released.

Gethsemani:

Metalrocks:

But at least the PS3 allowed you backwards compatibility on most PS2 games (Soul Calibur 3 not included, which annoyed me and my friends greatly). The PS3 only dropped backwards compatibility when the slim version was released.

Actually, only with certain models. Mine cannot play PS2 games, even with the app downloaded.

Speaking of, does the PS4 have ANY back compatibility, or are you stuck with the PS4 library? Like, I know not with PS3, but with PS1 (which has been on all home console playstations) or PS2.

I was pretty late to this generation (although I guess that is now officially "last generation"), so how bad was it in comparison?

That said, weren't we all aware of what the launch titles were for both new consoles? Why would anybody buy one if they didn't see a handful of games that they were interested in? Or is it just that the ones that seemed interesting turned out to be bad?

I suspect the same reaction will be had for the Xbox One though, I didn't see many decent games for either that were to be released the day they came out.

That Eeyore:

Gethsemani:

Metalrocks:

Actually, only with certain models. Mine cannot play PS2 games, even with the app downloaded.

Speaking of, does the PS4 have ANY back compatibility, or are you stuck with the PS4 library? Like, I know not with PS3, but with PS1 (which has been on all home console playstations) or PS2.

Right now no, but they're going to make it able to run every game in the Playstation Store that PS3 can run, also they will get a game streaming system up for older games

Gralin:

That Eeyore:

Gethsemani:

Right now, but they're going to make it able to run every game in the Playstation Store that PS3 can run, also they will get a game streaming system up for older games

Any idea what a "game streaming system" entails? Like, how it works?

Seeing this, I can't help but think back to Jim Sterling's talk on "launch splooge" http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7630-Launch-Splooge

That was great. Dat last panel.

Smart people should only get new consoles 3-4 years after launch. Let the fanboys get suckered into beta testing it for us :-P

The Wooster:
PS4 Impressions

Huehuehue

Read Full Article

Is that a brazilian laugh?

Because right now we are crying over the issue. A dolar is worth roughly R$ 2,30, but the console's price is going to be
R$ 4.000 (yes, four thousand) at the launch here in Brazil.

The zero games actually makes me glad because I don't have to throw mony down the drain.

The thing with the PS4 is, the PS3 had a deliberately obtuse, nonsensical hardware architecture--there's no evidence for the reasoning but I think this was done purposefully, because Sony was counting on the success of the PS2 to follow through, and wanted to make it more difficult to make cross-platform games since they assumed they would get content by default.

So I can understand not being able to implement backwards compatibility for PS3 from a technical standpoint since they went back to a more standard architecture with the PS4, but I have little sympathy since Sony is reaping what it sowed. I just want to say that implementing backward compatibility isn't just an issue of the company not putting in the work, it's also that backward compatibility is going to be REALLY hard to implement

Mike Fang:
Seeing this, I can't help but think back to Jim Sterling's talk on "launch splooge" http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/7630-Launch-Splooge

I can see Jim's point on this.

Still, though, if I'm gonna buy a system at launch, I'd like at least SOMETHING to do with it, don't want it to be gathering dust for months while I wait for the game that's actually worth playing to come out.

I'll just thank my lucky stars that I'm an Pc gamer then. But I do think it wa near-impossible to get Backwards compatability (from a technical point of view), and that the xbone, ps4 and pc having similar architecture will ensure better and easier ports on the long run.

That Eeyore:

Gralin:

That Eeyore:

Right now, but they're going to make it able to run every game in the Playstation Store that PS3 can run, also they will get a game streaming system up for older games

Any idea what a "game streaming system" entails? Like, how it works?

There hasn't really been much said about it. All that's known for sure is that some time in 2014 they plan to give the ability to PS4s to stream PS3 games, using Gaikai. how you pay is completely unknown. will there subscription fee? Would you have to re buy games you already own? My guess is that there will be a subscription fee that's quite likely going to be discounted/free (probably discounted) for plus subscribers. I have no idea if you will have to re buy the games you already have though

Metalrocks:

Yes. And the PSP, and the Vita, and the 3DS, and the Wii U.

Console launches kind of... are not good. But early adopters are necessary if we're ever going to get the games we want, despite how unwise a decision some think it might be.

The Wooster huh?

Anyway, backwards compatibility was always an afterthought with consoles anyway. Nintendo only did it with their handhelds and the Wii originally. The PS2 had full backwards compatibility but I've heard stories about the PS3 not doing it or something.

You bought a new console! You better hope everyone else does too or there won't be new games developed though...

Also the PSN isn't free anymore. Hmm, does that mean they're actually going to work harder on making it better?

And this kind of shit is why I'm not getting either console at launch.

I made that mistake once, with the wii. Pretty good launch line up, to be fair, but then it failed to deliver on all those promises. Some other people may have found it satasfactory, which is fine, but I didn't. I understand the eagerness to support a new console that you're hyped for, but personally, I'd rather wait it out a little while. Take advantage of the cheap games for the previous gen while I watch and wait to see which way I wanna go.

Also, no backwards compatibility for either console. Urgh. No. Seriously, for future reference, I would far more readily pay more money for a console on which I can play my existing games than one which has to stand alone.

And don't even make arguments about PC. PC vs console, unless this gen is THAT bad, is a matter of personal preference, and I prefer a console.

RJ 17:
And now it turns out the PS4 wasn't anything to write home about either and is having a slew of various problems and everyone starts remembering why the 360 won the last console war.

What's this 'won' business? Sony are still in business. Surely if we're talking winners of last gen it was Nintendo given how well the Wii did with a handicap, and to my knowledge the only 'loser' of the console wars was Sega
(image Never Forget...)

That Eeyore:

Still, though, if I'm gonna buy a system at launch, I'd like at least SOMETHING to do with it, don't want it to be gathering dust for months while I wait for the game that's actually worth playing to come out.

It also used to be that there was one or two "killer apps" at launch. You may not have been showered with good games, but there was some motivator to buy.

I hate this "of course there's no good games for a new system, guys!" attitude.

TechTim:

It's a shame that there's no longer an online requirement. The resulting Diablo-esque or SimCity-esque launch on a console-wide basis would have been hilarious.

I expect a lot of unceremonious "mehs."

Everyone is so eager to get the new consoles. I'm fine here with all the current gen games and consoles. Once any issues the consoles have are solved, and some games come out, I'll be interested.

RJ 17:
And now it turns out the PS4 wasn't anything to write home about either and is having a slew of various problems and everyone starts remembering why the 360 won the last console war.

Okay, no offense, but how in the bloody blue Hell is coming in third place in a three-console race "winning" the last console war?

Worse, when you consider it launched a year before either of the other consoles.

Legion:
That said, weren't we all aware of what the launch titles were for both new consoles? Why would anybody buy one if they didn't see a handful of games that they were interested in? Or is it just that the ones that seemed interesting turned out to be bad?

I was aware of the handful of games coming out, and didn't preorder in case they weren't worth my time. According to the reviews here, Knack is as poorly balanced as Sonic: Lost World, and Killzone spins around its own established world based on "Spunkgargleweewee" mechanics with a robot attached. Drive Club was postponed for a few months, while The Playroom is Camera exclusive (and a tech demo at that).

So that just leaves AC: Black Flag and PS Plus and its free indie game lineup. Eh, it's sort-of worth it for the long-term. It's best to wait for a Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or post-Christmas bundle. Amazon also has its own PS4 and new Kindle bundle, for whatever that's worth.

ThunderCavalier:

TechTim:

It's a shame that there's no longer an online requirement. The resulting Diablo-esque or SimCity-esque launch on a console-wide basis would have been hilarious.

I expect a lot of unceremonious "mehs."

the fact that you need to download an update for the Xbone to do anything means we probably will see a SimCity-esque launch.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here